CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005-2007 Pathfinder appears to have a widespread defect where coolant leaks into the transmission, causing transmission failure around 90,000 miles. Repair costs are typically upwards of $3,500.

8.1

$1,448.00

1. replace catalytic converter (12 reports)
2005 Nissan Pathfinder exhaust system problems

exhaust system problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Pathfinder:

2005 Nissan Pathfinder Owner Comments

Jul 222012

Pathfinder LE V6

The service engine light came on. Took to dealership.

Catalytic converter needs to be replaced: estimated cost $2,000

Also found the following issues: tension belts estimated $ 2,000

Headlights do not work - need to replace the IDPM controller estimated $ 500

- , Phoenix, AZ, USA

Aug 042012

Pathfinder SE 4.0 6 CYL

I had the ECU cleared and the new code stated the Drivers Side Front Catalytic Converter was the problem. The dealer wanted $800+ for each of the 4 so I went online to research various vendors. I found one with the one I needed for $155 and excellent ratings. I ordered it and installed it Saturday. I saw on a video (after installation,) that you can clean your converters while on the vehicle and/or after removed, HMMMM

So I finally finish the install and the battery is reconnected. The CEL is off but the VDC light and SLIP light is on. The next morning the two lights are off and the CEL is back on...UGH! So after church I have the code read and it states converter again. The rep tells me to run the truck at least 150 miles to get the ECU and converter on the right page then have it read...I will let you know. The good thing is I save a lot of money doing it myself and slowly I am replacing parts on this truck.

- , Leonardtown, MD, USA

Mar 232012

Pathfinder LE 4.0L

The catalytic converter is nonfunctioning, my truck is inoperable at the moment. I was unaware that this problem existed at all. Initially, when I purchased the vehicle the service engine light was on & as the transaction was taking place the dealer was made aware of the problem that existed. The service engine light was reprogrammed before the purchased was finalized, so at that time the service engine light was off. When the light came back on I actually took it to a Nissan dealership & after it was placed on a diagnostic computer, it was determined that the catalytic converter was faulty & would soon be nonfunctional. Now I am without a operable vehicle & I want to know what, if any; recourse do I have. I see that there are many complaints concerning this problem & since that is the case, why hasn't there been a recall & replacement for the catalytic converters? How do we go about getting this problem on a recall list?? I am tired of having to come out of pocket to replace or repair what is the problem of the manufacturer.

- , Marion, SC, USA

Dec 302011

Pathfinder SE 4.0L V6

Went in with check engine light and a problem with stalling. diagnosed as a faulty ECM. Had it replaced, fixing the stall, but light stayed on. New diagnosis is BOTH right and left upstream catalytic converters are bad.

- , St. Louis, MO, USA

Dec 012011

Pathfinder SL V6

both of my catalytic converter (right and left) are bad. most cars wont have this problem over its lifetime but my 05 pathfinder did at 87k miles. is this a manufacturers defect? i think nissan should recall or reimburse people who have this problem.

i have owned 6 nissans already (280z, 200sx, 95 pathfiner, 96 altima, 05 pathfinder and 09 altima) and i think nissan should listen to us who are loyal to the nissan brand or we will all go to another car company.

- , Carson, CA, USA

Jan 112012

Pathfinder V6

We have had both the right and left catalytic converters go at different times. Nissan has covered everything until the U-joints today which should have been covered as per the other people with the same issue.

- , Victoria, BC, Canada

May 102007

Pathfinder V6

Both catalytic converters have failed but at different times. We have had every major failure that this model has listed this is definitely a lemon of a vehicle.

- , Victoria, BC, Canada

Sep 122011

Pathfinder SE

They tell me that my catalytic converter honeycomb is burning out and will suck it back into the intake if not fixed!

- , Only, Tennessee, USA

Mar 152011

Pathfinder 3.2L V6

catalytic converter failed expensive repair I have a toyota with over 225000 miles on it no problems the nissan failing at 115000

- , Oak Ridge, TN, USA

Jul 012010

Pathfinder

Service Engine Light came on and one of the codes said catalytic converter needed replaced. I am told though that at 70000 miles, that is uncommon. Someone said it could be oxygen sensor instead. But I have not had the money or time to have it repaired. Also, there are two catalytic converters on this vehicle. This just so happens to show the more expensive one needing replaced at 650.00 just for parts.

- , Donaldson, AR, USA

Nov 012010

Pathfinder LE V6

My 2005 Pathfinder has been diagnosed with bad catalytic converters. I've asked around and there are two other acquaintances of mine or my wife with Pathfinders with same issue fairly early in the car's life. What do you have to do to get a frequent problem classified as frequent enough to push for a recall? I'm pissed I will have to spend over $2000 on this!

- , olathe, Kansas, USA

Nov 192010

Pathfinder LS V6

THIS ISSUE WAS BACK IN NOV,2010. I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE WITH ALL THIS MECHANICAL PROBLEMS .I RECEIVED A EXTENDED WARRANTY FOR MY RADIATOR ASSEMBLY. BUT MY WARRANTY MILES ARE OVER, NOW I RECEIVED A RECALL FOR THE ECM RELAY. AFTER TAKING IT TO THE DEALER FOR THE RECALL THEY CHECK MY TRANSMISSION OIL AND TOLD ME MY TRANSMISSION WAS NO GOOD. WHY? WELL BECAUSE YOUR RADIATOR IS LEAKING COOLANT INTO YOUR TRANSMISSION NOW, WE RECENTLY CHANGE THE SHAFT.THINKING THAT WOULD STOP THE NOISE ON THE WHEELS BUT IT ALL SEEMS ITS THE TRANSMISSION CAUSING THE NOISE.NOW ITS GOING TO COST ME ANOTHER $5500 DOLLARS ,I DONT THING IS WORTH IT FIXING IT. ONLY ON THE CATALYIC EXHAUST WAS $1500 AND SHAFT $500 .

- , Elmendorf, Texas, USA

Dec 012010

Pathfinder SE 4.0L

I would love to know how catalytic converters are gone after 5 years only 170000kms. Thats ridiculous i have had many cars and never had to change converters till at least 300.000kms this truck is not even fit for a dry road its a piece of junk

- , Milton, Ontario, Canada

Feb 042011

Pathfinder SE 79,914

This Nissan Pathfinder has turned into a curse. On one dreadful Friday, the check engine light comes on and the vehicle starts to drive funny, according to my wife. I proceed to drive it to see what I can figure out and I realize the transmission is slipping and the engine is making a high pitched whining sound. I had it towed to the dealership and get hammered with a faulty catalytic converter $1650 and simultaneously, the radiator failed and sent fluids into the automatic transmission, ruining it as well. The dealer quote is around $6,650, from one breakdown. Wow!!!!!

- , Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Nov 302009

Pathfinder SE V6

mpg decreased and check engine light came on. Took to dealer they put. Cad converter on under warranty. 6 months later this issue had to be repeated. catalytic co

- , Madison Heights, VA, USA