Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2005-2007 Pathfinder appears to have a widespread defect where coolant leaks into the transmission, causing transmission failure around 90,000 miles. Repair costs are typically upwards of $3,500.

2005 Nissan Pathfinder fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Pathfinder:

2005 Nissan Pathfinder Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 062016

Faulty fuel gauge sensor: Dte gauge does not reset. Engine check light

- Elk Grove, CA, USA

Dec 092014

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder. While driving 50 mph, the fuel gage indicator failed to display the correct fuel level. The vehicle slowed down and was towed to the contact's residence. The dealer diagnosed that the fuel system storage failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 10V075000 (fuel system, gasoline). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 101,000.

- Allentown, NJ, USA

Mar 072015

My daughter took our baby to the daycare and was on the highway in the bitter cold in Ohio as she ran out gas. She called aaa who showed 2 hours later. In the meantime she was without any heat on the highway IN12 temp. Although the gauge showed 1/2 of tank of gas, the car was empty. I bought the car with my to NJ counting the miles so I would not ran out of gas. I had it fixed at the windsor Nissan. They did an excellent job. The problem is that I paid $500+ for a problem that was recalled. This has been published even by the us department of transportation. The national highway traffic safety admin. Wrote a letter (I can provide) on March 3 2010, informing Nissan of the danger of this issue. The ref number is 10V-075 subject fuel system gasoline storage auxiliary tank. The letter goes to explain the issue which covers my car and says "this could cause the vehicle to run out of gas and stall in traffic, increasing the risk of a crash. Another ref number regarding the Nissan fuel gasoline system number- 10V-075000, and another service bulletin ntb-07-069C, all with the same issue about the gauge being faulty and reading that the car has gas when it doesn't. my daughter was lucky that she had just dropped off the baby and when the car ran out of gas she was able to pull to the side without any accident. However, being put through the experience of being in Ohio in winter without heat in a cold car for 2 hours is unforgivable!! although, I called headquarter several times, they acted like they did not not anything about this issue and refused to refund my money back. I have all the services bulletin and will be more then happy to share, although Nissan can call us department of transportation. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.product_or_service: Had work done to fuel system. I filled a complaint with the BBB#91355526 for nothing. Pls help!!

- Allentown, NJ, USA

Jan 312016

ECM replaced under recall. Radiator/transmission replaced @ 96K miles under "extended warranty." Transmission replaced 2nd time 1 year later. Transmission hoses replaced twice (during same time period). Now - 103K miles - check engine light came on: Vias solenoid valve, bank 2 catalytic converter, & oil pressure sensor switch all need replaced (possibly related to ECM relay issue)

- Tampa, FL, USA

Sep 142015

As I began to pull out at an intersection on my way to work I stepped on the gas and my car was barely moving. I nearly got hit by another driver. I called the dealer from which I purchased this vehicle 16 months ago and had it taken to them. They called me with the news that the radiator coolant had leaked into the transmission and caused damage to both parts, therefore both are needing to be replaced. Given the fact that I recently purchased this vehicle and now have to put $5,200 into a fix that should not have occurred I am at a complete loss. I still owe $7,000+ on this vehicle's loan. I feel that Nissan should be responsible for it's faulty manufacturing, however I also feel that the dealer should be held partially responsible as well. I have 4 children and we take this vehicle on vacation, I cannot imagine what would have happened if any one of them would have been in the vehicle with me at the time of this. I am in contact with an attorney and with Nissan, but the dealer will not take any responsibility for selling me this vehicle without truly correcting the problems that were existent.

- Catawissa, PA, USA

Jul 222015

When I went to put gas in my car, after I got in and started the car the gas gage went all the way to empty and stopped working all together. I couldn't tell how much gas I had in the car and the service engine light was blinking. After about 5 hours it all went back to normal until I put gas in the car again and it did it all over again but this time never started working again. I have been reading on line all the other nissian said with the exact same problem and there are hundreds of them with the exact same issue and the repair is over $700. Too many cars affected with the same issue and you can't drive around not knowing how much gas is in your car they need to do a recall and help pay that huge expense!

- Tampa, FL, USA

Jun 182014

Have problem with cooling system leaking into transmission.

- Little Rock, AR, USA

Sep 122014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Check engine light came on, mechanic said O2 sensors were bad, & replace. Check engine light went off for a few days. Came back on. Then SUV started running roughly, losing power. Vdc/slip light came on, truck was difficult to start, then it cut off in traffic a few days later. Found research on ECM relay. Had it replaced, truck still having difficulty starting. Today it cut off in traffic again. Mechanic said camshaft position sensor cmp bank 1 bad, catalytic converter bank 1 & 2 bad. Fuel system faulty and ignition system faulty. Still paying on truck.

- Waldorf, MD, USA

Aug 302014

The transmission in my 2005 Nissan Pathfinder has failed. My son was in a very dangerous situation on a busy street and this problem jeopardized his life.the vehicle basically stopped in the middle of a turn onto a busy street. The defective transmission/radiator breakdown is a serious situation and a known issue with these vehicles. My radiator fluid leaked into the transmission and failed. The amount to repair this vehicle and make this a safe vehicle is more than we can afford....approximately $5300 because the fuel sending unit also failed!! I feel this faulty product should be recalled and necessary repairs made or a reimbursement made by Nissan.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Feb 072014

I have been talking to drivers who had the same model. And having the same problem with there gas always on empty even if they always put gas on it. Found out that the problem is the fuel level sensor. I've visited the and most the complaints are about this. Since its a common problem if its possible to make a recall about this parts thank you.

- Bergenfield , NJ, USA

Aug 082012

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated that the fuel gauge was malfunctioning, showing an erroneous fuel level and the check engine warning lamp was illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the technician diagnosed that the fuel sensor needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 80,000. The current mileage was 120,000.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Jul 242013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

1st - fuel gauge does not indicate whether tank is full and service engine light is constantly on. Informed that this was a common problem, but no recall for my vehicle. Will cost $1,000 to replace, still have not done. 2nd - was driving my 2005 Pathfinder on highway, alone with my 2.5 year old daughter, rpms surge, car won't accelerate, forced to pull over in the middle of nowhere ok, towed to Nissan dealership for $200. Dealership says that radiator and transmission both need to be replaced. Do a google search to find that this is a common issue on this year, make and model and repairs total approximately $4,800. Since my mileage is at 101,500, 1,500 miles over warranty, Nissan will offer no copay. Why is there no recall" does somebody need to be seriously injured or killed for this to happen" shame on Nissan for putting people in danger. Had my car serviced at Nissan dealership where purchased, no one ever informed me of this problem so I could have taken care of it before it was too late.

- Lewisville, TX, USA

Jul 192013

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph, she noticed the fuel gauge registered incorrectly after the fuel tank had been refueled. In addition, the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the problem. The contact stated the approximate mileage was 83,000.

- Hyattsville, MD, USA

Apr 272012

Now my vehicle will not pass state inspection due to faulty fuel sending unit - the faulty fuel send unit cause check engine light to stay on and does not properly show fuel level in vehicle if a vehicle can not pass inspection, due to a faulty manufacturer part under voluntary recall info from Nissan website Nissan fuel sending unit warranty extension Nissan has extended the Nissan new vehicle limited warranty for the fuel sending unit on certain Nissan frontier, Pathfinder, and xterra models. Nissan is extending your vehicle's new vehicle limited warranty as it applies to the fuel gauge sending unit from 36 months 36,000 miles to 72 months 72,000 miles. Please note that this is not a safety recall, and there are no safety issues relating to your fuel sending unit shouldn't this be considered a safety recall (faulty fuel gauge) - it definitely has nothing to do with emissions" Nissan has not provided any assistance and has even refused partial compensation for this repair over $350 to fix any advice on how to drivers/consumers like myself?? I will have to foot the bill to be in compliance with ncdmv rules without any recourse against Nissan - failure due to known faulty Nissan part/design seems unfair! I have been chasing this for over a year! last year light was intermittent when it first occurred - now it stays on full time. Can Nissan be forced to make this a safety recall?" since my vehicle will not pass local safety.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

May 142013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

The dte read ------.and gas guage on the Pathfinder reads a 1/4 tank of gas, this could cause a bigger problem later.

- Jamaica, NY, USA

Apr 232013

While driving on a local street in my neighborhood at 35 mph on my way to pick up my son from school, the Pathfinder began to lose power. I press on the gas and the Pathfinder would not go any faster, it was hesitating and seemed like it was going to stop. I made to the mechanic and was told the radiator had leaked into the transmission. The mechanic then advised the radiator and transmission would have to be replaced at a cost of $5828. I am upset and completely in shock when he tells Nissan has an extended warranty however it only covers you up to 100,000 miles. Nissan is aware of this issue and if it happened at 100,000 I would have brought it in for servicing. I paid over 30,000 for the Pathfinder brand new and after eight years this is what I am left with, no recourse?

- Greensboro, NC, USA

Mar 142013

Pathfinder 6-cyl Diesel

While driving at approx 40 mph, the transmission suddenly disengaged; rpms went up to 5000; was like being in neutral. At the time, I was traveling up a slight incline without a shoulder or safe area to stop. Stopped in the roadway. Had it towed to Nissan dealership. They advised that they were aware of the known issue¯for a long time and that the radiator part that cools the transmission fluid failed and radiator fluid had entered the transmission causing the transmission to fail. This known issue, was never a recall and Nissan had no intentions on a recall due to a class action lawsuit. Unfortunately, my vehicle mileage is over the class action lawsuit settlement mileage and therefore Nissan will not take any responsibility; leaving strict instructions¯ to Nissan customer affairs to specifically not offer any assistance to persons affected by this known issue. Nissan dealership service dept advised that Nissan had fixed¯ the known issue on a newer model of radiator. Nissan should have recalled the product for a safety inspection and replaced all parts known to fail. Total estimated cost to repair at Nissan dealership started around $8000 and negotiated to $5000. Several private transmission repair shop estimates are approx. $4000. Most private auto shops will not touch this repair due to the known issue¯ and no confidence that Nissan fixed the known issue¯. request an investigation with an eye towards safety recall & reimbursement for those who already had to pay out of pocket.

- Island Heights, NJ, USA

May 012012

Pathfinder 6-cyl

The fuel gauge on my 2005 Nissan Pathfinder is not working. This is a known issue by Nissan and has issued a recall for some 2005 Pathfinders however my vehicle is not included. This is big safety issue as I am unable to be certain of fuel remaining in my tank and could run out of gas (or my children that drive the car). I don't understand how Nissan can issue a recall for some but not all vehicles with this issue as it is a very dangerous issue.

- Wayzata, MN, USA

Aug 012011

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Many instances of the car jerking, jerking forward when trying to slow down or stop. The RPM revving up to dangerous levels for no reason and trouble driving uphill. My car has become a major safety issue. First the fuel gauge stopped working, which caused me to run out of gas and stalling in the middle of an intersection. Next, my car stalled for no reason while driving, that was repaired, something to do with a relay switch, now the transmission issues, possible radiator failure and the need of a new catalytic converter in a car with 100K miles.... that's insane !!! someone is going to be seriously hurt or killed if they don't fix these vehicles and people don't have thousands of dollars laying around to fix it. So, no food, rent or bills being paid for over a month just to pay for repairs is even more of a hardship to families. Please help us before something happens. Thanks !!!

- Simi Valley, CA, USA

Dec 062011

It started with the heat in my 2005 Pathfinder not wanting to heat up unless going over 55 mph. Then sudden jerking with the vehicle when going over speeds of 40. Had transmission flushed and worked for about 6 months. Then as my husband was driving on the road it began to lose acceleration and came to a stop. We had the car towed and it hasn't started since? the dealership told us the transmission was completely out. They said it was due to coolant leaking into the transmission. Repairs are going to be $5100. The car has 92,000 miles! still waiting to hear if Nissan manufacturers are going to fix the damage. This is a dangerous vehicle to drive because when it goes out it will completely go out and if you are on the highway this is very scary!!

- Corbin, KY, USA