Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2005-2007 Pathfinder appears to have a widespread defect where coolant leaks into the transmission, causing transmission failure around 90,000 miles. Repair costs are typically upwards of $3,500.

2006 Nissan Pathfinder electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Pathfinder:

2006 Nissan Pathfinder Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 062016

Timing chain is messing up which its clear that all Nissan Pathfinders made from 2004-2010 have that problem as well as the automatic windows not working going up or down when using automatic as well as passenger airbag light going off randomly. Oh if it helps I worked at Nissan North America manufacturing and I can't even begin to tell you how managers would send defected parts to the line for assembly because they would always say "quantity over quality". its a shame and I hope that this will help push to hold Nissan responsible to fix what they already knew was bad.

- Canton, MS, USA

May 142016

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated that after the vehicle was started, the fuel gauge displayed incorrectly. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the fuel gauge sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 10V075000 (fuel system, gasoline). The failure mileage was 114,200.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Apr 022016

I have had the coolant problem fixed. Then I have had to replace all the U-joints. I have had to buy new gas caps to get my check engine light to go off. Now there is a terrible leak and a noise that is so bad. I took it into a local shop and it is the timing chain. This car has been nothing but problems and now it is so bad that I can't sell it because no one wants it and I am now so upside down in my loan because the value is going down so much that I can't trade it in.

- Spokane, WA, USA

Aug 032015

I took my Pathfinder in to the local Nissan dealer for a check up--chugging at 35mph, check engine light sporadically goes on and off, gas gauge stopped functioning. Nissan ran the diagnostics and told me the check engine light is because I need to pay $500 to replace the fuel sensor. I believe this is a part that was previously recalled. I don't know if Nissan considers the fix once and done but vehicles driven in salt and sand winter conditions will need extra attention. The transmission trouble is something Nissan knows about but refuses to recall. I was told I needed to replace the radiator and transmission--over $5000. If Nissan knows about these problems, why must I, a now unhappy owner, pay for these repairs?

- St. Louis Park, MN, USA

Apr 132015

Nissan stalled while at stop sign and again at gas station. Left us stranded again. Have had the ECM replaced three times, fuel pump three times, all to find this problem. Nissan recalled ECM and that has been replaced three times once under recall. The recall does not solve the problem.

- Max Meadows, VA, USA

Dec 302014

I was entering the highway and all of a sudden the car started shaking extremely and my service engine light started flashing, also the suspension shakes consistently causing me to swerve. I also have problems with the fuel gauge, not reading properly.

- Claremore, OK, USA

Oct 012014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

The air bag light will come on and the air bag system is showing a fault code. There was a recall for this problem. Nissan recall id: 08V690000, but according to the dealer, my VIN is not covered by this recall. So my vehicle is having the same problem as others, but it just happens mine is not covered by this recall.

- Stafford, VA, USA

Feb 012014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Transmission started vibrating badly at 55 or more mph causing us to pull off the road in a very unsafe environment in the freeway. We waited for 3 hours for a tow truck.

- Ballwin, MO, USA

Sep 022013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

The transmission shudders when changing gears.

- Albemarle, NC, USA

May 232014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

I want to file a complaint based on my recent experiences with Nissan. I own a 2006 Nissan Pathfinder. My vehicle was manufactured in December of 2005. A few years ago, Nissan issued a voluntary recall for the fuel sending unit on a number of their vehicles including the 2006 Nissan Pathfinder. However, the campaign only recalled fuel sending units on 2006 Nissan Pathfinders manufactured between Jan and March of 2006. Nissan then extended the warranty for other 2006 Nissan Pathfinders that including my vehicle. However, the warranty extension only lasted about a year after it came out. During that extended warranty time, my Nissan Pathfinder's fuel sending unit was acting up (this is the device that tells your fuel gauge and trip computer how close you are to empty). However the Nissan dealership could not replicate the fault so I was out of luck as the fuel gauge would work off and on. Over the last few years, the fuel gauge has continued to act up and read the wrong amount of fuel in the vehicle. Last week, the issue persisted long enough for me to get it to a dealer who confirmed that the issue was with the fuel sending unit. However, by this time, the warranty had lapsed and Nissan has been adamant that they will not pay to replace the fuel sending unit because its not a safety issue. My wife and I both share the vehicle and take our two children in the car. I am becoming wary of the vehicle's gauge malfunctioning and am concerned about whether the gauge could read full and the car runs out of gas on the freeway and we get hit by a semi tractor trailer and could be fatally injured- the exact reason why Nissan recalled the sending units on other Nissan. However, Nissan corporate is adamant that the fuel sending unit will not cause any safety concerns- even their website says

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Oct 152012

Both of my vehicle fobs don't work when the weather is cold for instance early morning and winter months. Once I use my key manually they will work. Also in below freezing weather my door lock will freeze on my driver's side and I will either be unable to unlock the door or will get the door open and won't be able to get the door to latch shut. I can spray some lock de-icer and lube in the lock and door latch if I can get the door open but it only seems to be a temporary fix.

- Surrey, WA, USA

Aug 312013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Car had been experiencing excessive jerking and vibration. The car heater stopped working only blowing out cold air and the car began overheating. I took it into Nissan only to find they have an extended warranty on the transmission to only 80,000 miles, which the car did not have any issues at that time. I had to replace the radiator, transmission, and U-joint. Bill to fix car was almost $3000 for a car that is only 7 years old and under 100,000 miles.

- Everett, WA, USA

Jun 222013

I, along with my daughter and friend was traveling back from Florida, my Nissan Pathfinder started to jerk and wouldn't pull, we by the grace of god made it home and when I got here I turned my truck off. My husband asked me to pull the hood and he check all the fluids in the vehicle. I switch the car on and it would say anything. We check everything and nothing help. I did got my vehicle towed to fivestar Nissan after finding out that there was a recall on the ECM relay, . they replace it and after then found out that it still did not work. The dealer called and stated that it was the radiator and the coolant. They said we were out of warranty and there was nothing they could do. I just purchased this vehicle 2 1/2 years ago and still got to pay for it. This is not good business. I need help. I need justice for all the ones like myself who go to work, make a living, and expect that when I make a purchase that people will stand behind what is right.

- Dawson, GA, USA

May 042013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Driving home from a long distant location, car lost power, instrument panel flashed then no power. Car was able to start again drove a few miles and again started to lose power, car jerked as if no fuel and again stalled and no power, after about an hour of this I was able to get home. This and other issues should be recalled, Nissan is not very helpful. I can not afford all the repairs this car has needed, but can not afford a new car payment. Nissan should pay for all the problems !.

- Fawn Grove, PA, USA

Mar 312013

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start. The contact had the vehicle towed to the dealer for inspection and they stated that the ECM needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified and they advised that her vehicle was not included in any recalls. The failure mileage was 104,000.

- West Feild, NJ, USA

Dec 232012

Pathfinder 6-cyl

I noticed my radiator reservoir was getting low, so I filled again, a week passed and the same thing, I told my brother in law who have some mechanical knowledge and we both check the reservoir unit, and then the radiator cap, and for my sad surprise, there were a oily brown residue, which means that my truck had mixed transmission fluid and anti-coolant, wow what a downside !!! now the cost to repair it is around $3000+ dollars and of course I changed the radiator already, due to the fact of that part being defective, and of course after that happened I received a letter from Nissan extending the warranty of the radiator, only if I had less than 80K miles on my truck, so guess what? I am not covered but that warranty !!!! because I have more than 130K anyways, 2 weeks ago I received a class action settlement against Nissan !!!!! yeah !!!

- Corona, CA, USA

Jan 132013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Driving my vehicle on the highway then controls on the cars went out of control and smoke started exiting the engine. Called dealership they immediately stated the radiator and transmission needed to be replaced at my cost.....same thing happened in 2010 the dealership replaced the entire engine stating that a hose went out and they needed to replace it... the service told me it needed replacing with ever physically inspecting my car...

- Houston, TX, USA

Dec 092012

On 12/7/12, while waiting at a stop light, the vehicle turned off. I was able to turn the car back on but within half a mile while waiting at a stop sign, the engine turned off again. On 12/9/12 at 10:45 P.M. while driving on the highway, going 65mph, the accelerator dropped less than 40mph, RPM needle began to go from 1 to 3 rapidly and the check engine light began to flicker. I was unable to accelerate for the first 10 seconds and when I was able to accelerate, it would not go above 30mph. After half a mile, I was able to pick up speed, after a mile of "normality" the vehicle began to have the same issue. After another mile, I was able pick up speed but it felt as if there were pressure in the accelerator. I was lucky enough to make it home that night. Took my Pathfinder into cerritos Nissan on 12/11/12 and it turned out it was the radiator and transmission causing the issue. It was supposedly fixed within 24hrs. On 12/17/12, while driving out of my driveway, the car jerked, accelerator stalled, RPM needle would go from gear 1-2 rapidly, and check engine light flickered. It lasted for about 10 seconds... I continued to drive the vehicle and within 3 miles (once I was on the highway on a stop and go traffic) the exact same incident occur. On 12/18/12, I returned the vehicle back to Nissan cerritos service dealer for another look, they are claiming everything is fine with the vehicle. I am now concerned because this is now a safety issue. I am scared to drive my vehicle, I've been lucky that I have not suffered an accident but if this issue continues, my luck could run out and I may not be so lucky next time. The life of my son and my life are at stake here. This issue should be a recall since it sounds, after much research, that this is not the first nor 100th time it has happened.

- Norwalk, CA, USA

Feb 112012

Pathfinder 6-cyl

On 2-11-12 went out to start my Nissan Pathfinder 2006. Put the key and started to crank but it would turn over. Listen to see if I could here the fuel pump prime but didnt hear anything. So, Monday morning called the tow company and had it towed to Nissan dealer in mansfield, oh (whity's automall). They told me today 2-14-12 that ipdm- er was bad that it shorted out. And I need to replace it at my cost. Asked them about that recall if this ECM relay unit could have caused it to short out. Still waiting on answer for that. I dont have $600 to fix it.

- Mansfield, OH, USA

Sep 172011

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Auto failed to start or if started failed to run with computer coordinated power production. Engine misfiring and powerless and immobile. Check engine light on. Garage said there have been several of these failures on Nissan autos and expect a recall to replace defective part failing with increasing regularity. Ipdm failure diagnostic is complete engine power failure and stop after extremely rough idling, even when accelerator engaged. The problem is without warning, instant and erratic onset with no preventative maintenance protocol. This is a part failure which will strand the driver wherever it happens until the part (ipdm) is replaced, after which the various computers on the car will perform as normal and auto functions normally. This part should be improved, recalled and reinstalled with defect free replacement to avoid further damage and stranding of other Nissan drivers. Nissan has not recalled the part as yet but the repair cost me $910 for diagnoses and replace the defective and failed ipdm on the 2006 Nissan Pathfinder and perhaps other Nissan vehicles. The records of Nissan should show the spike in orders for this part as other vehicles fail to function due to failure of the ipdm. A recall should be initiated to repair this defective essential and expensive part which cannot be maintained -just replaced when it fails.

- Houston, TX, USA