CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005-2007 Pathfinder appears to have a widespread defect where coolant leaks into the transmission, causing transmission failure around 90,000 miles. Repair costs are typically upwards of $3,500.

2.1

2006 Nissan Pathfinder miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Pathfinder:

2006 Nissan Pathfinder Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jul 012015

Pathfinder

In 2012, soon after we purchased our used 2006 Nissan Pathfinder, we knew it was a mistake. Not only did the fuel indicator not work (noticed the day we drove it off the lot) the SUV just didn't feel right while driving. I have been stranded in 100 degree weather on numerous occasions because the fuel indicator says I have fuel, but the light would immediately come on, and the car would cut off & lock up while I was driving it! fast forward to last year, 2015, we started experiencing problems when shifting into and out of park/drive/reverse. The transmission was slipping and sometimes wouldn't even change gears, just keep revving up the engine and not going anywhere. It has left my children and me stranded on numerous occasions since then. Finally, about 6 months ago, the Pathfinder decided to not move out of park at all after cranked. Today, 9/14/16, the transmission left me stranded in the middle of heavy 5 O'clock traffic. I barely had it pulled off the road when I almost got rear-ended! the transmission won't change gears, won't propel the car forward (or backwards) and the shop said it needed a whole new transmission, and maybe a new radiator! I am a student and my husband is in law enforcement - we certainly don't have an extra $4,000 lying around for repairs to a vehicle that should have been recalled! so, it is parked in our driveway, completely immobile and we have a car payment coming up next week (and every month afterwards). We are underwater, still owing $8,000 for a car we thought we'd drive forever, that is valued at around $4,000 on a good day with no transmission issues. Something has to be done! Nissan needs to repair our car asap!

- Clemson, SC, USA

Feb 252016

Pathfinder

Radiator fluid leaked into transmission. Had to replace both parts.

- Kinston, NC, USA

Feb 052016

Tranmision and radiator

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Oct 012015

Pathfinder

Purchased Pathfinder in 2013 with 140,000 miles from a dealership. After less than 3 years and 20,000 miles the transmission has gone and it will cost over 4,000 to fix while I am still financing over 9,000 for it. All extended warranty deadlines and limitations have expired before I had even purchased the car. It is amazing that for such a severe issue that has been detrimental to many based on my research, that Nissan does not have more realistic and helpful warranty standards. I am not a loss at what to do and Nissan or dealership has offered any help.

- Washington, NJ, USA

Jun 132015

Pathfinder

Coolant is mixing with the transmission fluid and is creating the car getting over heated, the mix is getting discharge in a former of a brown chocolate mixture

- Clinton, MA, USA

Mar 082012

Pathfinder

Took our vehicle to be serviced in 2012 to find out our vehicle was affected by the intermix the radiator cracked and leaked into the transmission they gave us an estimated cost of over $10,000 stated it was no good and to trade it in asap said we shouldnt drive it that it was dangerous so we parke dit. I was devistated we did everything in our power made reports called everyone possible nothing! tried to sue however I fell ill (cancer) and couldn't keep our hearing apt here in sacramento ca. Its still parked in our garage.

- Citrus Heights, CA, USA

Jan 012016

Pathfinder

The transmission failed on my 2006 Nissan Pathfinder due to a poor engineering issue from Nissan. This problem is a very dangerous problem. Transmission can fail at anytime.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Jan 262016

Pathfinder

I have the same problem that has been reported hundreds of times. I have over 100,000 miles, and was put in a very dangerous situation while driving my car. As I was making a left turn across two lanes and into the path of oncoming vehicles, the car stuttered, all of the lights were flashing, power steering went out, and the gas nor break would work. I was halfway through my turn when I realized my Pathfinder just shut down-I had no warnings, or trouble with the car coming up to making my turn. I was very fortunate that I was able to coast onto the street I was turning onto it was by the grace of god I didn't get into an accident. Come to find out the radiator leak into the transmission causing it to contaminate the transmission fluid and essentially blow the transmission. Repair is over $7000 from two different body shops as well as a Nissan certified service center. I of course was not happy when I was told my mileage exceeded the extended warranty coverage. I was also sad to find out Nissan wasn't doing anything for their customers, despite the many many complaints and lawsuits filed against Nissan wasn't doing anything for their customers, despite the many many complaints and lawsuits filed against them. They don't seem to care about consumer safetyżeven after the exact same issue is happening with hundreds if not thousands of their vehicles. I am hoping Nissan will do the right thing, and make it right. They shouldn't be waiting for people to die because of this issue to make a change. It seems like they don't care to do anything and less there is serious injury or death caused by this issue

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Oct 132015

Pathfinder

Radiator leaks to the transmission and fume like white milky coming out of the radiator when we open it and the same stuff found inside the transmission. License mechanic was consulted and he found that radiator was leaking to the transmission which damage both radiator and the transmission and I will need new radiator and transmission. Nissan should recall this 2006 Pathfinder and resolve the problem.according to my internet research on this particular 2006 Pathfinder many people complained expriencing the same problem.

- Duluth, GA, USA

Sep 012015

Pathfinder

On 8/11/2015 I contacted Nissan regional to file a complaint, 19756783, about a possible issue with my truck. I was told to take the truck in to a Nissan dealership to have a diagnostic. I called the dealership but was told I had to pay a $139.99 diagnostic fee. I didn't have those funds at the time. My truck is now starting to show signs of jerking while driving. A month ago, I was told the transmission and radiator fluids may be mixing together. Auto mechanic said the fluids looked milky. I drive my four children, ages 11 months to 8 years of age on a daily basis to and from school and after school activities. We have family in the kenosha, Wisconsin area which we often frequent. I am extremely concerned that the transmission will fail while driving on the highway at a high speed. Whenever I have to go far, I drive our sedan which seats 5 passengers, yet there are 6 people in our family. I am aware this is not safe, however I feel that it is safer than driving my truck which can stall at any time now. At this time, our children are our first priority and we want to prevent any mishaps to happen. We don't want to be stranded with our four children. I have my truck maintenanced quite often because I take pride in driving a Nissan. I don't want to my experience from Nissan to go from positive to negative. Nissan, please listen to my concern as well as others. I can't afford to pay the $3,000 deductible you are asking for to have the transmission and radiator replaced. We are on a fixed income as my husband is the only bread-winner in our home. Please help.....

- Norridge, IL, USA

Feb 012014

Pathfinder

I'm currently financing a 2006 Nissan Pathfinder which I purchased June 2012 at 78000 mi. In February of 2014 I went to get an oil change and the mechanic informed me that there is oil in the antifreeze compartment. A few days later I noticed that my car "shuttered"every time I shift gear to reverse or to drive. I noticed my vehicle "losing power" when I accelerated. At one instance I was driving up a hill and the vehicle basically lost power and it started to reverse backwards without the gear being shifted into reverse. I immediately stopped the car with the emergency brakes and turned the car off. Scariest experience of my life. I immediately called a tow truck and I sent it to a Nissan dealership. They informed me that there was a manufactured defect with the make and model of my car. The engine coolant is leaking into the transmission causing the transmission to become damaged. After months of calling Nissan North America they basically told me there's nothing they can do. I found that absurd seeing there was a settlement for this issue my car was experience. I ended up paying $4000 to repair the transmission/radiator and other issues causes by this manufactured defect through a Nissan dealership in April 2014. A year goes by and I'm now I'm experiencing the same "shuterring" issue when shifting gears and I noticed that my transmission is slipping once again. This is my first ever vehicle. It's absurd what Nissan has done. There has to be justice for Nissan owners. Never again will I buy a Nissan modeled car. Never!!!!!

- Brooklyn , NY, USA

Aug 122015

Pathfinder

Beware 2006 Pathfinders radiator problems then transmission dies. Our transmission went suddenly as we were on a MINItrip. We got stuck several times trying to get home. Very dangerous. Thank god we did not get into an accident and no one hit us as we were stuck in the middle of a busy highway. We were lucky we got home safely but it was a scary and dangerous experience. We did not know what was wrong with the car. We then get it towed and of cause its the transmission. Same problem everyone is having with these cars. Nissan should of had these cars recalled or extended the warranties so that no one has to deal with this problem and go through the hell we went through on our MINItrip trying to get home safely. They are risking people's lives.

- Old Bridge, NJ, USA

Jul 272015

Pathfinder

Check engine light came on. Took it to the Nissan dealership and they told me my radiator leaked fluids into transmission and both need to be replaced. I found out there was a class action suit against Nissan for this problem. This is really terrible they won't admit manufacturers fault in this. So now still have to make payments for the car we can't even drive for another 2 years and the repairs came at over $7000. Car is a necessity to people to make a living for their families. We have 3 small children that have to get to school and daycare so thanks Nissan you lost another customer. Hope everyone stops buying your cars.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Aug 042015

Pathfinder

My cars radiator cracked and leaked into the transmission. The mix of coolant and transmission fluid damaged the transmission and quite possibly damaged my engine. Nissan knows about the radiator because they extended the warranty on it. The repairs for this incident are high the Nissan dealer I took it to quoted me $4,591.43 to replace the transmission and the radiator and that is with the warranty they claim they have on it. The dealer also told me any other damage caused by this faulty radiator would not be covered and I would have to pay for the repairs to any other components as well they told they me might be an additional $2,000 so nearly $7,000. I had know choice but sell the car off as scrap as the repairs would cost more than the car itself. A failure of all these parts at once is a safety hazard to everyone.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Mar 032013

Pathfinder

Transmission failure due to radiator hose leak. Class action lawsuit milage limits exceeded. I had the car in multiple times this was never disclosed to me. Vehicle paid off 12/2012- failure 3/2013. Total cost for new transmission/radiator was $7,000. I had to borrow the money since this vehicle was my only form of transportation to and from work.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Jul 012015

Pathfinder

Transmission was failing on the way to the repair shop to get it looked at. In the middle of the intersection, it refused to go into gear and caused me to slow down considerably, resulting in a near accident with the car behind me and the car going around me. The radiator had leaked into the transmission, a known problem in this particular year of Nissan Pathfinder.

- Livermore, CA, USA

Jun 202015

Pathfinder

The transmission of my Pathfinder went bad because of defective radiator. It mixed transmission oil and antifreeze in the transmission. It will cost me 6K+ to repair. I read a lot of people had this problem and I want Nissan to fix it.

- North Bergen , NJ, USA