CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005-2007 Pathfinder appears to have a widespread defect where coolant leaks into the transmission, causing transmission failure around 90,000 miles. Repair costs are typically upwards of $3,500.

1.6

2007 Nissan Pathfinder engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Nissan Pathfinder:

2007 Nissan Pathfinder Owner Comments (Page 4 of 5)

Jul 092013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

About 2 weeks ago I was driving my 2007 Nissan Pathfinder (automatic), when I try to accelerate a bit the vehicle show signs that the speed-gear will not shift properly. When I am at a red light also for example once the light change to green the car take a few seconds to accelerate to the proper speed making it an inconvenience for other cars behind me since the speed will not pick up on time. Sometimes also it tend to " shot" making a weird not before resuming proper speed and this happen mostly on local roads.

- Hamilton, NJ, USA

Jun 082013

Pathfinder

The contact owns a 2007 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated that while driving approximately 50 mph, there was an unexpected increase in acceleration for several seconds. In addition, the engine rpms increased. The contact also stated that the vehicle had sporadically decelerated independently with an abnormal reduction in engine rpms. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken an authorized dealer, who stated that the radiator and transmission would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 110,669.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

May 112013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated that when driving over 45 mph, the vehicle would hesitant upon acceleration. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The technician stated that the radiator was leaking fluid into the transmission. The technician stated that the radiator and the transmission would have to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 150,000.

- Radford, VA, USA

Apr 192013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

We noticed the Nissan starting to jerk on the frwy and service engine light came on. Took it immediately to the mechanic they gave me bad news appearantly the transmission had radiator fluid in it. He said he had seen this problem before many times his exact word were the way Nissan designed this particular vehicle causes this. My mechanic had to replace radiator flush the whole system put new fluids in total cost $976.oo he advised me to take it to a transmission shop because he said it needed to be looked at by a specialist since he could not guarantee it would not happen again or if even the transmssion would work. Well it worked but the service engine light came on on the way to the transmission shop once they got done with it and replaced everythin that needed to be fixed on the inside of the transmission I paid $3227.49. According to everything I read this can hapen to the Pathfinder without any prior problems. We took pretty good care of ours was a great vehicle till we had to dish out almost 5K after we had just paid it off. I will never buy Nissan again!

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Jan 282013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

After a 90K mile check-up and full service in spring 2012, I understood that my Pathfinder was running well. Never was there a mention of issues with the radiator / transmission, nor was the connection between these elements replaced to prevent an issue (to my knowledge.) at 101K miles, the heat went out in the rear section of the car (I did not realize this until two months had gone by and I was arguing with my freezing child in the back seat that I had his heat as hot as it would go - he was clearly correct and the rear blowers were blasting him with icy air.) there was a "clunk" upon shifting the car into reverse, and between 40 and 60 mph the transmission lagged and sounded like it was grinding and working hard. At 106K I brought the Pathfinder to the Nissan dealer where I had originally purchased the car. This was the same dealer who had done the 90K service, as well. They determined that the radiator fluid had mixed with the transmission fluid and that my car needed both a new radiator and transmission for $9,000. (my truck is maybe worth $15,000 at this point - really?) after deliberating with the service supervisor, he offered an alternate option of only changing the radiator and flushing the transmission several times to eliminate the contaminated fluid. I gave the ok for this service option at $600. Since the service, my transmission is still lagging between 40 and 60 mph and the "clunk" still happens during a slow reverse. I am now investigating my options for a new transmission as the vehicle is still in beautiful shape, other than its engine issues. It is my belief that this issue is wide-spread enough that the transmissions and radiator should be recalled and replaced by Nissan - or paid for by Nissan since it's their faulty parts that cause the problem.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Jan 012013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

The radiator fluid is leaking into the transmission fluid and causing significant "rumbling" noises. The vehicle does not shift correctly.

- Davidsonville, MD, USA

Oct 112012

Pathfinder 6-cyl

The fuel gauge stopped working over a year and a half ago. When we contacted the dealer they never told us about the extended warranty. They quoted a price that we, a military family could not afford, and that was it. Then last year, a shuddering began. We took it to the dealer and spent almost $800. They flushed the transmission, but the shuddering only got worse. When I took the car in they informed me that the radiator fluid leaked into the transmission and now both need to be replaced. I called Nissan and they basically said that its my problem!! I have been in tears since. My husband is in afghanistan fighting for his country. He worked hard and paid the car off 2 months ago and now this. He is so worried about us being stranded when his Focus should be on what's happening there. We don't have $8000 to spend on a car that we just paid off and that should be in top form.

- Macon, GA, USA

Jan 142013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

When slowing down or speeding up between about 30-50 mph, the vehicle transmission felt like it was slipping. After much research and several hundred dollars of work come to find out that the radiator is faulty causing cross-contamination between engine coolant and transmission fluid. I am aware there is an ongoing investigation into this matter as well as a class action law suit pending. I have spent significant money to troubleshoot and replace what was needed (radiator and multiple transmission flushes) and feel I should be reimbursed as well as have a more thorough inspection and additional repair/replacement if needed. I am concerned that the engine is now damaged due to transmission fluid being in there and possibly the transmission. Both of which may be future problems that materialize down the road. Something should be done to make this right for the many Nissan customers.

- Point Pleasant, NJ, USA

Feb 222013

Pathfinder

I bought a 2007 Pathfinder from a very reputable used car business, carmax almost 3 years ago. They are very well known in the area for thoroughly checking their vehicles before reselling. It had approx 59K miles on it and I've loved it until recently. I started experiencing heating problems awhile ago but my mechanic couldn't find anything wrong - he even checked the radiator. A few months ago, the transmission would shudder occasionally when I reached about 40 mph. At first it was very minor, I actually thought it was maybe grooves in the road, etc but the issue got worse. I brought it to the dealer and was told I need a new radiator and transmission - this is a widespread problem. I was also told flushing the transmission probably wouldn't help. The radiator is going to cost me $913 and because this is such a widespread problem, a new transmission was the only thing they could find at $7400! I still owe on this vehicle and am wondering how will I ever trade this in or even afford to fix it. Nissan won't help in any way, even by discounting the labor and parts and the class action settlement won't help either because my Pathfinder has 109K miles on it - 9K over the extended warranty Nissan issued. What a disaster. I'm a single mom with a young daughter and a mother I care for. I recently took my family to visit my sister in West Virginia, you know - mountains. Imagine if something would've happened then. I had no idea all of this was going on and am now terrified to drive it. I've never received notification from Nissan that there was a potential issue - I would've brought it to the dealer immediately and been covered for repairs!!! this is a nightmare and Nissan should be held responsible in some way. Why aren't they standing behind their product at all!! do a couple of hundred people have to get hurt before something is done?

- Prince George, VA, USA

Mar 042013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

My wife was driving home from picking up our children from school. She was traveling approx 65 mph when the vehicle lost power, became unstable, and would not accelerate. She said that it was like someone put on the emergency brake with five times more. Force than normal almost causing her to loose control of the vehicle. Upon taking the vehicle to a repair shop the problem was found to be that coolant had leaked into the transmission and had destroyed the transmission computer and the transmission.

- Gallion, AL, USA

Feb 222013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

At 35,500 miles the secondary timing chain tensioner shoes failed. The dealer told me that this is a very common problem with the 4.0L motor. This repair is $1000 and not covered by any remaining warranty. I believe that since thousands of people have had to pay thousands of dollars to repair this defective part it should be a recall. This would be dangerous if this failed while the vehicle was moving at highway speeds, luckily I was driving slow enough to avoid an accident.

- Bayfield, CO, USA

Oct 032011

Pathfinder

Pathfinder started hesitating at 40 mph regardless of city or highway driving, had transmission fluid changed and was advised by my mechanic there is a leak from radiator into transmission line, have since then seen transmission fluid a milky color and I cannot drive vehicle with overdrive on, when it drove with od on at about 40 mph there is no shifting of gears.

- Joplin, MO, USA

Oct 172012

Pathfinder

The contact owns a 2007 Nissan Pathfinder. While driving approximately 55 mph, the vehicle began stalled while the contact was attempting to accelerate. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician advised that the valve body and radiator needed to be replaced due to a leak in the radiator and the coolant was intermixing with the transmission fluid. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and advised the contact that the vehicle was not included in any recall. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 101,000 and the current mileage was 104,000.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Nov 022012

Pathfinder 6-cyl

First issue started while trying to accelerate onto the interstate. The car/engine started shaking between 40 and 50 mph and would not accelerate. I was nearly rear-ended when I had to merge into traffic. Other issues were similar, car shaking at 40 to 50mph, like driving over a washed out road. Unable to accelerate initially, this would last for several seconds, before finally responding, shaking would go away when speed would exceed 50mph. Final safety issue occurred when accelerating after a stop light onto a highway ramp. At 40mph the transmission completely went out, the car would not shift into gear and would not accelerate. I had just started to merge, I had to swerve back onto the ramp lane and stop in the middle of the road. I was nearly hit by the highway traffic and almost rear-ended by a car going back into the ramp lane. Cars were forced to slam there brakes to avoid hitting my dead car, it also made it very difficult for other cars to merge onto the highway, several cars narrowly avoided an accident. Car was taken to shop, transmission and radiator had to be replaced. Radiator defect had caused the transmission to fail.

- Highlands Ranch, CO, USA

Mar 032012

Pathfinder

The contact owns a 2007 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated that while driving 45 mph, the vehicle began to jerk and shimmy abnormally. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis and the contact was informed that the radiator malfunctioned and leaked anti-freeze into the transmission. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnosis where they also advised that the radiator failed and was leaking anti-freeze into the transmission. The manufacturer was notified but offered no assistance. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure and current mileages was 122,123.

- Shirley, AR, USA

Oct 122012

Pathfinder 6-cyl

I was driving at 30 mph and the Nissan Pathfinder 2007 start making a noise in the motor like when you have the car in 1 but it was on drive, then the service engine soon alarm appear. I parked the car but when turning on again it didn't. the dealer said that the radiator coolant damage transmission and the computer because was damaged. The estimated cost of the repair was $9,400.

- Humacao, PR, USA

Sep 192012

Pathfinder

I started having a sudden jerking in my 2007 Nissan Pathfinder when driving down the highway. When I took it into a Nissan dealer they diagnosed the problem as a failure with the radiator internally and externally which allowed leaking coolant into my transmission fluid causing both radiator and transmission failure. The dealer now states that I need to replace both items or trade it in..... come on Nissan you have a major problem. We need a recall.......

- Baxter, MN, USA

Sep 202012

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Radiator defect leaked coolant into the transmission caused transmission to fail; will need a new radiator and transmission because of this known defect in the radiator. Also, engine timing chain defects in 2005-2010 Pathfinders. Repairs are set to be $12,000 - which is more than the value of the vehicle.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Sep 142012

Pathfinder

I was driving on the freeway when all of a sudden I heard a thud and lost power, had to go over 2 lanes without being hit.... I took it to the shop and the mechanic new excactly what the problems was. Radiotor fluid getting into the transmission causing it to fail... hundreds of Nissan Pathfinder owners are having this problem. Tell Nissan to recall this now before someone gets killed.. shouldnt have to pay $8000 for Nissan crappy work..

- Waipahu, HI, USA

Aug 292012

Pathfinder

My Pathfinder was should have been slowing from the speed of as I was braking and letting off the gas, but it kept moving forward and shaking. If there was a car in front of me I would have hit them hard. My transmission would not shift down to slow down, due to radiator leaking into transmission. The cost of my repair of both radiator and transmission is over $5000.

- Davenport, FL, USA