Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: While there are fewer "radiator leaked into transmission" complaints for the 2008 model year, they are starting to pile up. Buyer beware.

Nissan has extended their radiator warranty on 2005-2010 Pathfinders to 8 years/80,000 miles. However the average mileage for transmission failure for earlier model years is 95,000 miles, which conveniently (for Nissan) is just past the limit of their extended warranty. Owners beware.

2008 Nissan Pathfinder engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Nissan Pathfinder:

2008 Nissan Pathfinder Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

May 122014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Upon driving at 25mph the RPM's increased without any power. No matter how much gas I gave it O would only crawl and could barely exit the intersection. I was able to pull over and shut the car off. I tried to turn it back on and it would not. I brought it back to the dealer and was informed the radiator and transmission are bad. I then learned that this is a problem with many Nissan SUV's.

- Bronx, NY, USA

Feb 032014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

There was a leak in the radiator that contaminated the transmission fluid. The radiator and the transmission both need to be replaced or rebuilt. Nissan will not cover warranty since the vehicle is over 90K miles.

- Narvon, PA, USA

Feb 072014

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Radiator fluid leaked into transmission fluid causing vehicle to violently shimmy at about 40 mph. The repairs came to $1,334.55. They had to replace the battery ($119.21), radiator ($266.95), radiator hose ($14.35), serpentine belt ($29.95). They used a transmission flush kit ($29.95), a cooling system flush kit ($29.99) and a global extended life coolant ($29.92). They used $50 in shop supplies and labor was $587. Tax was $87.31.

- Chardon, OH, USA

Nov 192013

Pathfinder 6-cyl

I was informed by the Nissan dealer that I need a new timing chain. This repair will cost me $2300. I then did research about my vehicle, and saw this is a common problem. Also there is an issue with radiator/transmission.

- Lansdale, PA, USA

Sep 012013

The contact owns a 2008 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated that the vehicle was consuming excessive coolant and the engine was exhibiting a loud rumbling sound. The vehicle was taken to the dealer however, the technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 44,400 and the current mileage was 45,162.

- North Smithfield , RI, USA

Apr 042012

Pathfinder 6-cyl

Your website would not allow me to put in the transmission and radiator as affected parts. My vehicle with 77,000 miles on it had a slipping issue with my transmission and was brought to the dealership, along with the warranty upgrade notice provided by Nissan, for service. I notified the dealership of the transmission slipping and of the warranty notice, and that I wanted it looked at. They came back to me and verbally stated that there was no issue with my transmission. Dealer did not note it on the work order that they test drove and said there was no issue. Nissan is known to have radiator problems that lead to transmission failure for my type of vehicle. There is a class action lawsuit out right now about the issue. Nissan refused to do the work unless I paid for the $3000 co-pay, and paid for the timing chain shoes, another Nissan known issue, another $1800. My vehicle is a 2008 Pathfinder with 92000 miles on it now. Just want Nissan to stand behind their product properly and replace the items required at no charge to me. Both of the issues could lead to a failure and cause a major accident.

- Sutton, MA, USA

Dec 292012

The contact owns a 2008 Nissan Pathfinder. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph, the vehicle stalled and the check engine warning lamp illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the coolant and transmission fluids were mixing and as a result, the transmission and radiator needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 85,000 and the current mileage was 91,000.

- E Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Aug 302011

Pathfinder 8-cyl

Thought I was having a problem with my transmission. Took it to get checked. My radiator leaked causing fluid to leak into my transmission. As a result have to get my transmission & radiator replaced. Come to find out from the repair shop. They were seeing alot of Nissan trucks with this issue. I was told there was a class action lawsuit against Nissan fro this issue. I think Nissan should issue a recall & reimburse people who have this issue.

- Baltimore, MD, USA