7.1

2. replace transmission (5 reports)
  3. replace a valve (1 reports)
2015 Nissan Pathfinder transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Nissan Pathfinder:

2015 Nissan Pathfinder Owner Comments

Aug 162016

Pathfinder LE V6

I can't believe so many people are experiencing the same problem I have, shudder and jerking in a low speed. Why does Nissan not fix it?

- , toronto, ON, Canada

Oct 032016

Pathfinder LX 3.4L V6

• CVT transmission

shudder, jerking and finally engine failed while driving

I have a Nissan Pathfinder 2015 model which was bought last year from Arabian Automobiles Deira Dubai showroom and I have been facing jerking issues with this car from the beginning. Most of the time in slow speed I feel a jerk when the car is cruising and if I take my foot off the accelerator or press it harder it will stop. It usually happens at slows speeds when accelerating slowly.

I had mentioned this issue many times during service and in 20K km service they told me that it is fixed by reprogramming the CVT engine. But again the same problem was there and last week in 50K km service they told that it is fixed permanently by replacing the CVT engine.

Three days after the service I went for a trip with my family from Dubai to Salalah in Oman. While returning back the jerking problem started again and engine warning sign was showing in the car. It looked liked the gear transmission was not working properly and car was not moving forward even with full acceleration and rpm. I couldn't drive the car and I was stuck on the road in the desert at mid night for hours with my family and kids. I contacted Oman police for help they checked the problem and advised me not to drive. The car was then taken to Dubai border by recovery which costed me 1400 AED and my family came to Dubai border with Oman Police and then by taxi to home by paying AED 400. The leisure trip turned to be a nigtmare for me and my family because of the issue with car.

Now I don't feel comfortable at all driving this car which has a manufacturing defect and which is having problems after service. I approached the service center to provide me a cash refund and there is no positive response from them. So I contacted Consumer Rights to help me to get full refund for my car and also to get the expenses the which I paid for Recovery and Taxi because of the issue with car.

- , Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Sep 282016

Pathfinder SV 3.5L V6

• CVT transmission

I have the same shudder / jerking in the '15 Pathfinder that others have. I've had it into the shop 3 times to look at it. They always say that unless it "throws a code" there's nothing they can do. The 1st time I had it in, they said they couldn't duplicate the problem. I even went and drove it and couldn't make it do it. Over time, the problem got worse and more easy to replicate, so they wanted to ride with me the next time. The 2nd time I had it in (August 2016), the technician rode with me, with a computer hooked up to watch the transmission while it happened. He witnessed it and said the gear ratio was really low but it wasn't throwing a code. There was a software update available for the transmission at the time so they applied that. (Free of charge when there was supposedly a charge for updates.)

I drove the car a few more weeks and maybe it's psychological, but ever since the update, my gas mileage was slightly lower (about 1mpg), the shudder problem was ever present at low speeds and it had even begun to slip very slightly going from Park to Reverse and again from Reverse to Drive. I called them back and they were optimistic that if it was starting to slip, then it would register it to the computer and have a code.

I took it back in yesterday (September 27th) for a scheduled appointment and the first thing they did was check for codes. The slipping hadn't triggered any codes but the shudder now HAD! AND... there was a TSB released for it in April. The TSB states for them inspect / replace the valve body in the CVT, if there is a large amount of wear, then they are to replace the whole CVT.

My car is scheduled to go back in next tuesday, (October 4th, 2016) to have them dive into the transmission. I'm hoping for the best. Wish me luck.

Update from Oct 7, 2016: I took my car in on Tuesday. They finally got the diagnosis and approval that the entire CVT needs to be replaced. There was enough wear on the chain to warrant a full replacement. It is covered under warranty. It will likely take a couple of weeks for the repair, but they put me in a brand new Rogue as a loaner, so it's not too bad.

- , Palouse, WA, USA

Jul 092015

Pathfinder LS 4cl

• CVT transmission

Not too long after buying it wife went out of town and jerking started. Really bad. Thought she got bad gas. It stopped and it has been intermittent since. Now it is happening all the time.

- , Winnsboro, SC, USA

Jun 242016

Pathfinder SV 3.5L

• CVT transmission

The transmission has gone out right after the noise started. It's at the dealership right now getting looked at. Nissan is making them take pictures with the oil pan off. Was told that right now its 50/50 that the CVT will be covered under warranty. It's been at the dealership for about a 1.5 weeks before they even started looking at it. No loaner/rental available. This one is definitely going down the road as soon as the tranny is fixed.

- , Corvallis, OR, USA

Nov 012015

Pathfinder

I purchased a new 2015 Nissan Pathfinder back in September 2015 and a few months after I got it it began jerking and shaking when I was driving around 20 mph I didn't think it was serious until a few months ago it started happening more often and the shacking kept happening more often. I read that this is a common problem with this car I so wish I would of known before I leased this car. It just feels horrible and not like a new vehicle. The performance is just one of the worse I ever experienced. So far I don't see any recalls I took it to the Delearship and they reset the computer but the problem continues and is worse will,take it to the dealership tomorrow again. I am ready to lemon the car or sue Nissan for giving me a car that has so many issues. Warranty better cover all cost and if the vehicle can't be fix I better get my money back and a brand new car.

- , Bridgewater, NJ, USA

Oct 052015

Pathfinder SL 3.5L V6

• CVT transmission

Found this site while doing a search, I was so upset that our Pathfinder that we bought May 30, 2015 was not performing as it should, and wanted to see if anyone else was having this problem. It shudders at lower speeds and is getting worse.

My husband has taken it to the dealership twice, once to be told they couldn't do anything about it until he could get a light to come on and again for service for which he had made an appointment for the technician to ride with him with a computer to get it to show on their computer, by the way which was a comment I found on this site, only to be told that nothing was showing up when they checked it, there were no recalls at this time and they didn't have time to ride out with him.

Now we have been dealing with this dealership for years and have sent others to them also and right now I'm not a happy girl. When you pay this much for a vehicle, you expect more out of the vehicle and from the ones you bought it from to try and make it right. I hate driving something that I don't feel I can fully trust, at times I wonder whether it's just going to stop right then and there. I do a lot of driving around town at lower speeds, if I take off and go so far no problem, but in traffic and 30 mph zones not always possible.

Well, that's my rant and I'm not giving up, if anyone has any suggestions please comment.

- , Martinsville, VA, USA

May 052016

Pathfinder 4WD Cvt

• CVT transmission

Shuddering was not resolved after 'software' update.

- , Batavia, IL, USA

Apr 102016

Pathfinder 4WD PF2 3.6L V6

Purchased new pathfinder 2015 model and currently, 14,450KM run. It is being in good & smooth run while going long run whereas the city drive, especially slow moving under traffic, taking right/left turn, the vehicle is getting jerked. This situation is happening when the vehicle is driving between 20-km range of speed.

Due to this issue, driving my new car is getting irritated / annoyed. This problem must be re-solved.

- , Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates

Feb 032016

Pathfinder Platinum 3.6L

• CVT transmission

My new 2015 Nissan Pathfinder has had this shuddering problem from day 1 but very faint, the vehicle now has 2100 miles and the shuddering continues to get worse when driving 10 to 30 miles an hour. I was told by the dealership that the previous year transmission issues were resolved. Guess they say anything to sell a car.

- , The Villages, FL, USA

Mar 182016

Pathfinder SV

• CVT transmission

It started with the dreaded hesitating/jerking thing I have read about Nissan CVT transmissions and only at 22k miles. The dealership stated it was a valve inside the transmission, and not the transmission itself. How is a valve inside the transmission not be a part of the transmission?!?! They needed to replace it and it will take approximately 3 days. They said if it MIGHT OR MIGHT NOT SOLVE THE PROBLEM. Wow, that is very comforting. If after repair, it continues, they will have to replace the whole transmission. Again, that is very effin comforting. Pardon my french.

I thought Nissan already fixed this CVT transmission issue? We bought a Nissan because our 2006 Quest was great till we sold it this year (2015) for an upgrade. This will be our last Nissan.

- , Elk Grove, CA, US

Dec 222015

Pathfinder Platinum V6

• CVT transmission

The car suddenly increases torque and throttle causing the car to power through braking action.

- , Portage La Prairie, MB, Canada

Oct 192015

Pathfinder S 3.2L V6

• CVT transmission

The last cvt gear shift right before the car stop, the rpm jumps up and down causing the car jerk and speed up. Can be very dangerous in city driving. The issue is exactly same as the guy describe above. Took my car to the dealership, the technician admitted that there is a problem but not significant to do anything at the point. Please investigate.

- , Reno, NV, USA

May 312015

Pathfinder Platinum 3.5L 260hp V6

• CVT transmission

This is a signal of transmission failure in a car. We should know, we've had THREE previous cars with transmission problems - an '02 Odyssey, an '07 Pathfinder, & a '14 Altima. And now this car. I bought it to replace our 2007 Nissan Pathfinder after transmission failed in that one. The transmission also shuddered and jerked in our 2014 Altima, so we knew to replace the transmission. Nissan replaced it under warranty. It's a shame that Nissan cars have this horrible issue that just ruins their reputation! I am TIRED of this! AND, it's the top-of-the-line trim! This car was totaled in a rollover accident in November 2015, and I replaced it with a 2015 Chevrolet Traverse. Hopefully it will be more reliable than this car!

- , West Berlin, NJ, NJ, USA

Jul 152015

• CVT transmission

We bought a new vehicle so we wouldn't have any problems for a while. That's not the case. After about a month (maybe two) it started to shudder every once in a while. I assumed it was suppose to do that until I was told that it's NOT suppose to do that. That's what the cvt is suppose to do, NOT SHIFT, and that's what it feels like. Then I find out it's also going on with the 2013-14 and there is a class action lawsuit with those 2 year models. I don't have another vehicle to get all my kids around in so I hope this gets resolved FAST! As it stands right now, we won't buy another Nissan. Transmission is not the only issue I'm having either.

- , Camden, TN, USA

Sep 012015

Pathfinder

• CVT transmission

Despite assurance from Nissan Sales that there is extended coverage on the CVT, I am now being told there is not.

- , Ottawa, ON, Canada

Apr 202015

Pathfinder Platinum 3.2L V6

Car did not perform as it should. Low acceleration, shudders at any speed, makes bad noise when parking, stopped or slowing down.

- , Midland, TX, USA

Aug 032015

• CVT transmission

I stupidly believed that Nissan had fixed their transmission problem for 2015 Pathfinder. This has been a repeated problem and they are still selling their cars despite a law suit against them for the same problem I am having. I had a 2009 Nissan Altima which I hated and despite that I believed in the Nissan name and bought a Pathfinder, well my mistake because this will be the last Nissan I will ever buy. What kind of car needs a warranty transmission fix with only 252 miles on it, especially a problem they know about already. Also they do not stand behind their product. This is my only car and within 1 week not I have no car to drive and Nissan doesn't provide a loaner or rental reimbursement for a inferior product that they are servicing right now. The only way they reimburse rental is if you buy their sh*tty extended warranty coverage and even then it only covers 4-5 days.

Do not buy a NISSAN because they don't stand behind their products !

- , Brooklyn, NY, USA

Apr 272015

shudder, jerking while going 20 - 40 mph

We bought this car just a month ago 3/25/15.....brand new with only 195 miles on it. It has done awesome up until this Monday 4/30/15. I was taking my son to his T-ball game when it started doing the dreaded shudder that everyone knows about. We had another game the next day so guess what decided to show its ugly head again. That's right, the shudder/jerking of the transmission. So, my wife had to travel for her work on Wednesday, and she text me when she got to her work and she said it was doing it again. All of this has happened in 3 days and this shouldn't be happening at all. The car hasn't even had its first oil change yet and its already acting up.......If you are thinking about buying a new Pathfinder, DON'T. Unless Nissan can fix the issue with the CVT, save your money. We have it scheduled to go in to the shop on 5/4/15 and I will update when we find something out

- , Toccoa, GA, USA