Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2004 Nissan Xterra doesn't seem to have any problem trends. The only thing prospective owners should be aware of are the less-than-perfect (but acceptable) crash test ratings.

There are a very few transmission complaints, but nothing like the huge defect that shows up starting in with the 2005 model year.

2004 Nissan Xterra engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Nissan Xterra:

2004 Nissan Xterra Owner Comments

Jun 122016

June 12 2016 at the tri-par in slinger, wi I was filling up the gas tank, when gas began spilling out of the vehicle's wheel well. I immediately stopped it after I noticed it. The station along with the slinger fire department estimated a gallon was spilt. It appears the gas tank neck has rusted out, causing the spill. They deemed the vehicle not safe to drive and recommend we have it towed home, which we did.

- Richfield, WI, USA

Aug 072015

The lower radiator support bar for my Nissan Xterra has rusted out. This causes the main radiator to sink which has since hit the main fan. Only replacement is to replace the entire radiator brace. As a main structure component of the vehicle this should not be rusting out.

- Richfield, WI, USA

Jan 132015

I have had to replace my starter 3 times in 4 years. I have all of the receipts to show also. I have also had to replace my radiator because of a crack near the cap. I had a hose that goes through my dash with the hot water explode on me and burn my hand pretty bad. My radiator seems to evaporate cooling fluid on a regular basis. I have had a pressure test it is holding pressure. And now my warning bell is no longer working. My battery has gone dead 5 times because no warning sound to tell me I left my lights on.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Feb 232015

Vehicle overheated while driving down the highway. Upon inspection, an approximately 4in crack was noticed on the top of the radiator, passenger side, near the thermostat. Replacement of the radiator was required.

- Auburn, CA, USA