- August 30: Nissan Recalls Frontier and NV For Seat Belt Problems
- July 26: Nissan Expands Takata Air Bag Recall By 226,000 Vehicles
- June 28: Plastic Trim Causes Investigation of 360,000 Nissan Versa Cars
- June 27: Nissan LEAF Recalled Because of Auto Shutdown
- June 11: Over 1 Million Cars Might Have Explosive Takata Air Bag Inflators
2004 Nissan Xterra
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004 Nissan Xterra doesn't seem to have any problem trends. The only thing prospective owners should be aware of are the less-than-perfect (but acceptable) crash test ratings.
There are a very few transmission complaints, but nothing like the huge defect that shows up starting in with the 2005 model year.
Worst 2004 Xterra Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- interior accessories problems3NHTSA complaints: 1
- transmission problems3NHTSA complaints: 4
- engine problems2NHTSA complaints: 9
- exterior accessories problems1NHTSA complaints: 1
- suspension problems1NHTSA complaints: 7
- wheels / hubs problems1NHTSA complaints: 1
- steering problemsNHTSA: 11
- fuel system problemsNHTSA: 8
- brakes problemsNHTSA: 5
- electrical problemsNHTSA: 4
- windows / windshield problemsNHTSA: 4
- body / paint problemsNHTSA: 2
- seat belts / air bags problemsNHTSA: 2
- miscellaneous problemsNHTSA: 1
- drivetrain problemsNHTSA: 1
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Stay Up to Date
Compare Nissan Xterra Model Years
Curious how the 2004 Xterra compares to other years?
Check out our Nissan Xterra overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Xterra.