Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2005-2007 Xterra appears to have a widespread defect where coolant leaks into the transmission, causing transmission failure around 90,000 miles. Repair costs are typically upwards of $3,500.

The same defect exists in the Pathfinder & Frontier as well. And according to the New York Times & a class action lawsuit, the defect actually extends through 2010 model year. More info here.

2006 Nissan Xterra miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Xterra:

2006 Nissan Xterra Owner Comments

Sep 182016

Radiator cracked at 91,000 miles causing transmission to fail. $3800 cost to repair

- Brownsboro, AL, USA

Aug 152016

Radiator leaked coolant into the transmission. My truck is now sitting at aamco with 5200 dollars worth of transmission radiator and computer board damage.

- Brick, NJ, USA

Jun 272016

I bought my Xterra in Sept. 2014 and just this last month. Not even putting 20,000 miles on it and still have a loan on it had to put 4700 into it because of the radiator fluid running into the transmission. It was fine one day and the next day I was going 40 miles an hour and it starts jerking on me and wouldn't go over 20 miles an hour. I could have gotten in a accident with all the traffic. I don't understand why there was not a recall on this. What I have read from other people this has happened a lot. Don't you think Nissan would stand behind their product and fix their mistakes!

- Rochester, MN, USA

May 172016

I was driving Nissan Xterra on the busy street and suddenly I notice smoke coming from under the hood. I stopped the car on the closest parking lot and tried to go away from the car. I was scared it will blow up. After few minutes the smoke stopped coming from under the hood. I called towing and my mechanic told me it is transmission problem. It was truly horrible experience.

- Palos Hills, IL, USA

May 062016

The source of the contamination is a cracked atf line that runs through an engine coolant chamber in the radiator. I had to replace the radiator and the transmission.

- Englewood, CO, USA

Dec 012015

Transmission faliure due to a known problem of the oil cooler leaking into the transmission. I should not have to pay $3300. When they know it is a problem!

- Jefferson City, MO, USA

Aug 302015

On Sunday, August 30, 2015, while driving from Maryland to Virginia, on a speed limit of 55, vehicle slowed down and transmission wont engaged while accelerating the gas pedal, RPM was going to the higher number/red zone and car will not move faster up to the noted speed limit. When we stop at the light, and the lights turn green, the vehicle will not move and make loud noise and RPM going higher to the red zone numbers. This caused traffic behind us back up because of speed too slow in a 55-mile per hour speed. I was afraid it could have caused an accident. This happened several times during a 200-mile travel from Maryland to Virginia. I read that there were several complaints about Nissan vehicles about radirator water leaks to the transmission and causing it to malfunction. According the price transmission experts, this is the same problem and the cost to repair will cost $4,400 I would like to have Nissan pay the repair cost.

- Norfolk , VA, USA

Jul 132015

Radiator fluid in the transmission and transmission fluid in the radiator. Caused transmission to fail. Need to replace both now because of a mechanical defect in adf line.

- Sapulpa, OK, USA

Jul 012013

My car was making a rattling noise so I took it to the Nissan dealer to inspect it an find out what it was, they told me that it was the secondary timing chain and that it was not covered by warranty an or recall. As searched online found that many others had the same problem with their cars, and that Nissan knew about this and never revealed it to the public or had a recall for this problem, so that the replacement would fall onto the consumer.( this pertains to the secondary timing chain and other assoc. Parts)

- Upper Chichester, PA, USA

Apr 012015

While driving and trying to enter a major highway at about 40 mph and trying to accelerate, I had to pull out to the shoulder because the truck wouldn't shift to a higher gear...I had to get out of the highway because the truck wasn't able to accelerate and remained on 1st shift struggling to get to 2nd and then 3rd....I got home and heard the engine or radiator make bubbling noise....after 3 or 4 hours I opened the radiator and saw all sorts of gunk like was still warm and it oozed out falling all over my driveway...I payed a mechanic $300 to change the radiator thinking it was the problem...only to find out it was much more and more money also....I looked for another mechanic and he said it would cost $4000 to fix everything... I've wasted more than $3000 trying to figure out what the problem is.. now the mechanic says that a new transmission module valve is many more trucks breaking down or complaints until this issue is resolved.... I was lucky that when I was on the highway no cars were coming full speed...because without being able to accelerate I would of caused an accident and gotten killed...I loved my truck and miss riding it...please look into this... thank you..

- Del Valle , TX, USA

May 112015

Radiator cracked leaked coolant in transmission, ruining it.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Mar 262015

Transmission went out on vehicle and after researching the problem I found that several complaints had been filed against Nissan from others customers experiencing the same problem. There had also been a class action suit filed because so many customers were having the same problem. When I contacted Nissan about the issue, they told me that the campaign was closed and that they would not be able to assist me in getting my vehicle repaired. The cost to fix the vehicle is over $4,000.

- Talladega, AL, USA

Jul 272014

Xterra 6-cyl

Car began overheating and even when allowed cool down time continued to run hot. Inspection shows that the car has transmission leaking into the radiator. Even when flushed and refilled - immediately mixes again. Car is not operable. Dealership indicates $5K to repair. The car has just passed 100,000 and is not eligible for any warranty. Nissan was well aware of this issue and opted not to recall or even inform customers of issues to watch for. Now, I am out a car - I do not have 5K nor do I have the ability to walk out and just buy a new car. Thanks Nissan for looking out for yourself and not the customers who keep you in business.

- Saint Louis, MO, USA

Dec 202013

I was in md interstate 97 going North at 65 mph when my vehicle started to shake intensely that I had to slow down which nearly cause a multiple collision(at least 4) from a vehicle behind hitting me. As I slowly moved to the side, the vehicle jerked forward that nearly hit another vehicle. Brought it to pep boys and assessed caused by transmission and I was advised to bring it to the dealer. Nissan dealer diagnosed coolant leaking into the transmission. Coolant also leaking from the upper and lower radiator and radiator is also leaking. This looks like a mechanical issue that definitely lead and cause safety issue.

- Glen Burnie, MD, USA

Nov 152010

Rear differential axle seal leaks oil into the breaks creating a very unsafe driving condition. Nissan knows about the problem because they have released a technical service bulletin, and changed part numbers but they have not released a recall so all dealerships refuse to fix this problem for free. Furthermore dealers are not warning their customers of this issue. Last Monday when going to work, it was raining and when I got out of the freeway and was trying to reduce my speed thre truck skid and turn to the left. I was able to control it and fortunately I didn't hit anyone or anything. I assume this happened because of the oil on the left rear break.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA