Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2005-2007 Xterra appears to have a widespread defect where coolant leaks into the transmission, causing transmission failure around 90,000 miles. Repair costs are typically upwards of $3,500.

The same defect exists in the Pathfinder & Frontier as well. And according to the New York Times & a class action lawsuit, the defect actually extends through 2010 model year. More info here.

2007 Nissan Xterra drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Nissan Xterra:

2007 Nissan Xterra Owner Comments (Page 4 of 9)

Feb 272015

Xterra 6-cyl

Vehicle vibrates at 40 mph- making it unsafe - turns out it's transmission issue.. was informed this is not a new issue after reading online..... Nissan has never recalled these vehicles and instead was sued due to this transmission issue many other Nissan have had...I was never informed regarding such an issue. This is unsafe due to the shaking shudder this problem causes especially in a high traffic area and it isn't fsir that the customer stays stuck with a faulty vehicle... this issue should be fixed at any mileage since it is Nissan faulty design at fault! shame on you Nissan.

- Corpus Christi , TX, USA

Mar 062015

Contamination of the transmission with anti freeze due to leak in cooling system, resulting in transmission failure.

- London, KY, USA

Feb 232015

Xterra 6-cyl

Transmission and radiator defect-internal leakage between the 2 engine parts -Nissan did not notify me, the original owner, of the defect or of the successful lawsuit against them for this problem.

- Mountain Home, AR, USA

Feb 192015

The contact owns a 2007 Nissan Xterra, the contact stated that the vehicle failed to start. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic, who informed that the transmission needed to be repaired but the specifics were not available. The contact referenced NHTSA action number: DP12004 (power train). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 134,000.

- Adamsville, TN, USA

Feb 022015

2007 Nissan Xterra. Consumer was told to pay a $2500 copay because his vehicle was over 80,000 miles. Consumer doesn't comply because he inquired about vehicle problems before the 80,000 mile mark. The consumer stated while his was driving, she noticed the vehicle began smoking and the check engine light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, where a diagnostic test revealer the radiator and transmission needed to be replaced due to coolant and oil mixing.

- Hamilton, NJ, USA

Feb 282014

Xterra 6-cyl

My transmission stopped shifting, I took it to a transmission shop an was told my atf line that runs through an engine coolant chamber in the radiator failed and get radiator fluid in my transmission and that my transmission needs to be replaced/rebuilt. Now I am stranded with out a vehicle when my vehicle only has 85000 miles on it and has had regular maintenance work on it. I am extremely disappointed and I would like to see Nissan step up and be held responsible for an issue that is accruing because of faulty factory parts.

- Eagle Point, OR, USA

Oct 012013

I took my Nissan Xterra 2007 into boulder Nissan in October 2013. At the time, it had under 100,000 miles. Upon examination of the car for lack of heat, they said they flushed it and eventually I would have to replace the radiator. They did not tell me that there was a class action lawsuit against Nissan for defective parts leaking coolant into the transmission. I returned to Nissan in Jan. 2015 for the same problem and was hit with a bill for $5,200 to replace the radiator, transmission, timing chain and thermostat.

- Lafayette, CO, USA

Nov 222014

Xterra 6-cyl

I bought my 07 Xterra 6 months ago from transitowne amherst and the dealership told me nothing was wrong with the vehicle. Now 6 months down the road the transmission has gone terminal due to the known problem where coolant leaks into the transmission and causes it to fail. I believe any dealership should have checked to make sure that a vehicle they were selling would not have this issue before they sell it.

- Cheektowaga, NY, USA

Dec 012014

Xterra 6-cyl

My Xterra would not accelerate from stop to start, then one late evening it would not start at all. I had it towed to my mechanic who said it was the transmission that needed to be replaced and the transmission was shorting out the fuse to start the car. I took it to another mechanic for a second opinion, he stated the same and this was a known defect in Xterra, he also said that it will cost thousand of dollars to fix and even with a new transmission it will likely happen again because the electricity will burn out because of the defect. I called Nissan dealership, who stated that they knew about the problem, but was going to help fix it or reimburse me anything. I was stranded with a small toddler at 10pm in the rain and no means of getting home thanks to Nissan's known defect.

- Pleasant Hill, CA, USA

Dec 082014

It has same problems as all the 02-08 Xterras but you wont issue recalls on fuel sensor, radiator leaking into tranny, air bag sensors, control arm. Thanks for letting loyal Nissan owners down!!!!

- Mulberry, IN, USA

Oct 012014

This is one of the many transmission issues with 2007 Xterras where the coolant leaks into the transmission and destroys it. The repair cost is 8500 dollars if the 100000 mile extended warranty has been passed. I contacted Nissan and they told me that this is my responsibility despite the hundred of complaints regarding the exact same issue. When driving at any speed, when the Xterra changes gears there is a rough vibration that keeps getting worse the longer it goes for. Had I not learned about this on my own Accord this could have resulted in a very bad accident.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Nov 112014

Xterra 6-cyl

Was told by dealer that a known problem with radiator caused radiator fluid to seep into transmission causing transmission to fail. Neither dealer nor Nissan would accept responsibility for this known defect.

- Trabuco Canyon, CA, USA

Nov 032014

Xterra 6-cyl

Sitting at light in the left lane, waiting for it to turn green and all of a sudden the car started making a loud racing sound. Not sure if it was transmission or engine making the noise. I looked at my gauges and saw the temperature gauge was on H. I had to wait for the light to turn green, because I was at an intersection, in the left lane, to get on the highway and there were cars on my right and cars going in the other direction. As soon as I could move, I pulled over to a safe spot, but before I could, the car started overheating and smoke started coming out of the hood. It was towed to my garage and after my mechanic looked at it, he said this is a known issue for Nissan Xterras 2007, because the radiator is defective. The coolant mixes with the transmission and the car stops running! apparently, Nissan knows that the part is defective so they extended warranty to 80,000 mile and anything past that I have to pay. Well, I have 90,400 miles and can't believe that Nissan can get away with knowing a part is defective and not recalling all trucks affected. They certainly changed the radiator design for the newer vehicles, admitting that it is a problem. They should recall the cars and replace the defective part. It is all over the internet, because the problem is so widespread and Nissan will not take ownership of it!!!!!!. please look into this and look on the internet to see how common this issue is for Xterras and all the people that got screwed by Nissan. Thank you.

- Monroe, CT, USA

Oct 242014

While driving at a highway speed of 70 mph in the left lane of an interstate, the transmission completely failed. There was traffic in the right lane. I was unable to move to the outside shoulder until I was traveling at 30 mph. This was very dangerous, especially due to trying to merge between semis that were in the right lane. After towing the vehicle 75 miles to get close to home and at a trusted repair shop, I was told that the coolant leaked into the transmission system (like so many others). This caused the complete failure of the transmission and contamination of all of the lines and gaskets. The vehicle would not travel forward or backward. This appears to be a known issue, based on the large number of complaints on the web and the class action lawsuit. The repairs are estimated at 5,000 to 5,500 dollars, plus the towing. Most of the problems, including mine, occur after the extended period. Due to the rapid failure, this is an extremely unsafe condition.

- Porter, IN, USA

Oct 032014

Xterra 6-cyl

The radiator fluid leaked into the transmission and ruined the transmission and valve body assembly. The car will not run and stalled out in an intersection.

- Austin, TX, USA

Jan 062014

Xterra 6-cyl

Radiator cracked leaking coolant into the transmission.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jul 202011

Xterra 6-cyl

At about 1200 RPM I start to feel a vibration which I think is coming from the transmission. Once I get above 1500 RPM it quits and resumes normal driving condition. I did have my transmission filter and fluids changed right after this started. The mechanic did tell my that the fluid appeared to be milky and he said that he had heard about this problem in some Nissan vehicles. He also said he knew about the transmission coolers in the radiator becoming faulty and would cause radiator fluid (antifreeze) to mix in with the transmission through the transmission lines. There was no symptoms that alerted me before hand, it just happened and I knew there was an issue, took it to my mechanic and discovered what I mentioned above. Please inform me what I may be able to do. Thanks

- Gentry, AR, USA

Sep 082014

Car will not upshift sometimes seems electrical.

- Providence Forge, VA, USA

Aug 122014

My 2007 Nissan Xterra came on with a check engine light and over drive indicator light stayed on. Obdii code for check engine light was P0700 transmission control system tcs malfunction. The transmission would no longer use 1st, 2nd, or 3rd gear. Reverse, neutral, and drive could still be selected but when in drive it was in 4th gear only. Took it to the Nissan dealership and they told me that coolant from the radiator was leaking into the transmission and this was a common issue that the service department had seen before many times now. They informed me that I was 1500 miles over warranty and that I would have to contact Nissan customer care. That is when I discovered that there was a class action lawsuit for this problem against Nissan because this was a known defect for 2005-2010 Xterras and they wouldn't do a recall. Now Nissan is telling me there is nothing they can do for me and they will charge me $7500 for parts and labor to replace the transmission, radiator, lines and fluid. That is outrageous as my 2007 Xterra only values at $8000. I was never notified when I bought this SUV in August of 2012 that it was part of a class action lawsuit and in the 2 years I have owned I have never been notified by Nissan of a settlement that could have alerted me to have this checked sooner before transmission failure happened. I also wouldn't have bought the car if I had known there was a known issue with the radiator leaking into the transmission that Nissan is not willing to recall for. Now I am trapped with a loan on a lemon I cant drive and cant afford to fix.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Aug 072014

Xterra 6-cyl

Engine coolant and transmission fluid mixing causing overheating and transmission failures.

- Okatie, SC, USA