Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2005-2007 Xterra appears to have a widespread defect where coolant leaks into the transmission, causing transmission failure around 90,000 miles. Repair costs are typically upwards of $3,500.

The same defect exists in the Pathfinder & Frontier as well. And according to the New York Times & a class action lawsuit, the defect actually extends through 2010 model year. More info here.

2007 Nissan Xterra drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Nissan Xterra:

2007 Nissan Xterra Owner Comments (Page 6 of 9)

Mar 182014

Xterra 6-cyl

The radiator leaked fluid into the transmission and cause a complete and total loss of both. A lawsuit was filed and settled by Nissan without them taking any responsibility for their faulty design. I guess this won't get noticed until people start dying from Nissan's defective design. When that does happen, Nissan will just payoff the families so this whole issue just goes away!

- Elk Grove Village, IL, USA

Mar 122014

Xterra 6-cyl

Problem with radiator fluid leaking into the transmission, which has now damaged the transmission. Since Nissan won't do the right thing and we're beyond the 80,000 miles, we're stuck paying for a new radiator and transmission. Instead of getting away with doing nothing except for extending the warranty, Nissan should have been required to notify all affected people regarding the exact problem and issued a recall and pay for a new radiator. This obviously is still an issue for alot people and probably many, many more in the future, long after the so-called proposed settlement. Too the NHTSA! please investigate and require Nissan do the right thing!

- Wernersville, PA, USA

Mar 182014

Xterra 6-cyl

I was driving on the highway in my 2007 Nissan Xterra with my family (myself, my wife, and 2 children). We experienced a complete breakdown while traveling 60 miles per hour. The truck started to make all kinds of noises, the steering wheel started shaking uncontrollably, and I completely lost all acceleration. Fortunately for myself and my family, I was able to steer the car out of any immediate danger and bring the car to a stop on the shoulder because of my quick reactions. My family and I were stranded on the highway with no means of transportation. This was a very traumatic experience for all of us. I was able to call another family member to come and pick up my family, but I had to stay with the truck until I was able to have it towed to my house. After doing a little research, I learned of this faulty Nissan design problem and was advised to contact the NHTSA because they have an open investigation into this type of occurrence. I am pleading with you to seriously look into this problem before anyone has to lose their life or face a permanent disability resulting from this type of occurrence. I hope that the NHTSA can complete this investigation soon. I would strongly recommend a recall for this safety hazard and potential life threatening occurrence that is a direct result of Nissan's faulty design, which they are completely aware of, but deny taking any responsibility!

- Elk Grove Village, IL, USA

Mar 142014

At 60mph and also 40mph the vehicle vibrates heavily and is slow to react to power inputs with no warning signs prior. This was determined to be caused by the known defect related to the radiator / heat exchanger, where the engine coolant mixes with the transmission fluid and gets into the transmission. This then turns into a "pink milkshake" consistency fluid and completely ruins the entire transmission and valve assembly. This requires a complete rebuild or replacement of the transmission and radiator to correct the issue. There is no warning sign and this affects these vehicles at different rates. This can cause cars to seize up unexpectedly in the middle of driving creating a dangerous situation. Since this is a known issue for Nissan trucks model year 2005 - 2010 this should be a safety recall. It is not a matter of if this will happen, it is a matter of when. In my personal situation I had no injury or immediate car shutdown, however I would have no warning if that did occur and has the potential to be dangerous, especially at highway speeds. This has to be investigated and is uncalled for to have a known defect and not disclose this to owners of these vehicles. Additionally, there is a perfectly good way to mitigate this issue by adding a dedicated cooler for the transmission and bypass the radiator, which is a cheap and easy fix to never have this issue.

- Havertown, PA, USA

Oct 112013

At varying speeds above 45mph the vehicle will shudder as if you were driving on a rumble strip. This can be startling as there is no indication of when or where it will occur. When the radiator failed our mechanic informed us that the transmission was destroyed because of design of the radiator and transmission cooling lines, which allowed coolant to seep into the transmission fluid thus destroying the transmission..

- Sparks, NV, USA

Feb 132014

Xterra 6-cyl

Transmission failure in my 07 Nissan Xterra. A complete loss of motive power and needed to be towed. The dealer diagnosed the problem as a failed transmission fluid cooler located in the radiator assembly that allowed coolant to mix with and contaminate the automatic transmission fluid, resulting in damaged internal transmission components and a damaged internal transmission computer. Was told that this is a huge problem with these vehicles and the Nissan corporation is well aware of this problem.

- Crawfordville, FL, USA

Feb 052014

Xterra 6-cyl

Internal leakage of engine coolant in to transmission.

- Gardner, KS, USA

Jan 282014

Xterra 6-cyl

My cars coolant gage jumped straight to H out of nowhere. After pulling into a shell station for antifreeze, it was apparent what had happened. There was something mixed in with the antifreeze. It was the transmission fluid. After being told I would need a new transmission and radiator, I started researching and im not the only one dealing with an otherwise great body you can't do anything with and doubt I will be the last. After further research it appears that no recall has been approved and I believe there are many of us wondering why" this is a consistent problem with hundreds of cars and it's not even one make, it's many. 3 in my category. Does a recall only happen when it has fatality attached" this is a faulty system and Nissan approved these coolants in the transmissions and continued to even after complaints of the system. I was lucky to catch mine right away but still need $3000 to fix it! it won't be long until fatality is attached once someone's transmission goes out on a highway or in 5 O'clock traffic! Nissan needs to issue a recall!!!

- Hardy, VA, USA

Dec 212013

Xterra 6-cyl

Our 2007 Nissan Xterra, purchased brand new, began to overheat. Upon checking the fluids I noticed the coolant level was dangerously low. I was certainly puzzled where the fluid had gone because there has never been any visible leaks or any warning lights or any other symptom to draw my attention. I began to look into the situation because I was puzzled and quickly learned of the massive number of Nissan owners experiencing the same problem. Sadly, I was now one of those victims. Yes, the coolant had contaminated the transmission fluid via the faulty transmission cooler. There is a class action lawsuit that I am sure you are aware of but I was unaware of. I do not recall any contact notifying me of a class action lawsuit and the potential damage. I had no reason for worry because my vehicle had not given me any trouble signs and the fluids have always checked normal during normal service checks. Like many, I cannot afford to shell out the dollars that this negligence on Nissan corporation behalf has caused. I encourage you to please force Nissan corporation to issue a recall requiring them to make all the appropriate repairs for these damages. Please, do not put a cap on the mileage or set the mileage relatively high if you must. My vehicle has only 89,000 miles and only gave signs of damage less than 500 miles ago.

- Statesville, NC, USA

Jan 162014

Xterra 6-cyl

I have a 2007 Nissan Xterra with a common issue...the faulty radiator leaks into the transmission causing transmission failure. This can cause the transmission to seize up leaving a moving car to lose speed rapidly which is an unsafe situation. This has not happened to me yet as I caught the issue and am fighting with Nissan for them to fix defect..until then I am stuck with this as my car. Great. Nissan has asked me to pay a $3K "co-pay" to share in fixing the fault...

- Southington, CT, USA

Dec 192013

Sudden loud noises/banging while driving. Pulled over, had vehicle towed to mechanic. Radiator found to be cracked. Radiator fluid leaked into and contaminated transmission causing sudden transmission failure. Learned Nissan was/is aware of this problem and has not notified anyone of preventative measures to prevent failure of transmission. "extended warranty" resulting from class action lawsuit requires $3000 copy for vehicles with 90,000-100,000 miles. My mechanic says this is a joke because radiators not cracking until at least this time. Now I have to pay $3000 I don't have to repair the transmission which I could have saved had I been notified to replace the radiator. I will not ever purchase a Nissan again.

- Portland, ME, USA

May 032013

Xterra 6-cyl

I am very disappointed and disgusted with the way Nissan has handled this problem. My Xterra 2007's transmission did not go bad until it reached over 120K miles. My wife was driving cross country with my children and all of the sudden she felt the gears slipping while driving in a major interstate. Luckily she was able to drive home safe. I found out shortly after this almost catastrophic experience that there were many complaints regarding Nissan transmission problems. I guess there was a class action lawsuit that only covered vehicles under 100K miles. Why is Nissan only providing assistance to vehicles under 100K miles if there is a there is a defect in the transmission coolant. They should cover any transmission problems regardless of what the mileage is. I took my Xterra to aamco because they charge be thousands of dollars less of what a Nissan dealership would have charged me. I have been a loyal Nissan owner since 2003 and will never buy a vehicle from them again. In fact, I have convinced friends and families not to buy Nissan vehicles because of the poor service that they have provided.

- Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Dec 022013

Xterra 6-cyl

My car was jarring and making a rumbling noise so I took it in to get fixed. There was water detected in my transmission so I had it flushed twice. The rumbling continued so they replaced the radiator. That cost a total of about $1,000. A few weeks later it got worse and they told me I needed a new transmission. That will be between $4500-$5000. Nissan has been under investigation regarding coolant mixing in the transmission fluid and have not done anything to fix the problem. There to be a recall!

- Lake Ozark, MO, USA

Oct 042013

Xterra 6-cyl

My radiator went out in the starbucks drive-thru. I had it towed to a shop & was told it is a known design flaw by Nissan where the fluids are mixing & the only thing I can do now is replace the radiator & "hope" the fluids did not go into the transmission. Got the new radiator & had a trans flush 3 times & paid about $1800. It is now a month later & my service engine light is on. Today, I am told I need a new transmission which will cost $3800. This is our only car. We do not have the funds to pay for a new transmission. For safety reasons, we urge you to please issue a recall on this poor design by Nissan where the fluids are mixing & causing safety concerns to the consumers.

- Ewa Beach, HI, USA

Nov 092013

Xterra 4-cyl

Radiator leak to transmission.

- Lake Forest, CA, USA

Nov 012013

The contact owns 2007 Nissan Xterra. The contact stated the engine light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer to have a diagnostic test performed. The failure was located in the transmission where the radiator fluid was mixed with the transmission fluid. The transmission and the radiator needed to be replaced. The manufacturer advised the vehicle exceeded the 100,000 miles warranty repair. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 102,000.

- Revere, MA, USA

Sep 022013

Xterra 6-cyl

Auto transmission not working, seems a lt of complaints and not recall.I called Nissan and was told that they are aware of the problem and the investigation going on, but will not pay for it since it is 10521 miles over their 100K warranty.I was told to send a complaint but is been 120 days and no respond what will it take for the NHTSA to order a recall " how many more complaints for them to start doing their job "

- Sacramento , CA, USA

Sep 212013

Xterra 6-cyl

Engine coolant got into transmission. Lost control of vehicle for a moment on several occasions. Felt like I hit black ice. Transmission was not working properly.

- Windsor, CA, USA

Sep 022013

I have had the same problem described in your current investigation of these models. An atf line embedded in the radiator cracked, and atf fluid was allowed into the coolant, and coolant was forced into the atf. The card started slipping in gear, then it started shuddering under acceleration, then it started refusing to go into gear. I got it to a transmission shop, and when they opened it up, the guts of the transmission were rusted, and the clutches had de-laminated. The cooling system was nearly plugged up with oily transmission residue. The transmission had to be completely rebuilt, and the radiator and all associated hoses had to be replaced. All in all, a $5500 fix for a problem that shouldn't have happened.

- Aurora, CO, USA

Jun 072013

Xterra 4WD 6-cyl

The transmission/cooling system has a manufacturer defect and should be recalled.

- Hueytown, AL, USA