Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2005-2007 Xterra appears to have a widespread defect where coolant leaks into the transmission, causing transmission failure around 90,000 miles. Repair costs are typically upwards of $3,500.

The same defect exists in the Pathfinder & Frontier as well. And according to the New York Times & a class action lawsuit, the defect actually extends through 2010 model year. More info here.

2007 Nissan Xterra electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Nissan Xterra:

2007 Nissan Xterra Owner Comments

Sep 302016

I brought this car in 2007 and have had electrical issues, and have maintained the car regularly. I was driving recently and only had 91K miles and the transmission just suddenly went without warning.

- Cedar Park, TX, USA

Jan 282015

I park the car and when I came back couldn't start. Thought it was a battery problem. Tried jump start with my other car, no luck. Left in the parking lot for a few days. Came back and hook my code reader and it shows U1000. U1000 is ground harness problem. I tried to clean the battery terminals both sides but no luck. So towed the car to darcars Nissan and they told me need to replace radiator and transmission. They said will cost $4700".so I started researching and found out that Nissan Xterra 2005-2007 and even new models had radiation fluid leak into transmission. So how am I supposed to know if I have harness grounding problems or ?radiation fluid leak into transmission? dang. Darcars Nissan service center never mentioned anything about code U1000 when we took the car. So now what??"

- Montgomery Village, MD, USA

Dec 082014

It has same problems as all the 02-08 Xterras but you wont issue recalls on fuel sensor, radiator leaking into tranny, air bag sensors, control arm. Thanks for letting loyal Nissan owners down!!!!

- Mulberry, IN, USA

Nov 182014

The front driver window will not go up. The back passenger window is also breaking down. I've heard there is an issue with Nissan's windows. Is there a recall for 2007?

- Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Apr 042014

One day I went to put my driver side window down, as it went down I hear a weird sound. When I went to put the window back up it didn't go up. I ended up going to work and when I got off I tried it again, it went up. Thinking it was just a one time thing a couple days later I put the window down to talk to my husband, didn't go back up again. This time we were about to leave somewhere that would take an hour and a half to get there, therefore, we had to travel with the window down there and back. Resulting in worse gas mileage and constant wind. When we got home my husband had to try to take some of the window apart to get the window back up. After my husband looked at it it seem to be the electrical set up with the buttons. From then to now I haven't dared to put the window down again, especially now that's it's getting cold. It wouldn't be such huge deal to me except I hate leaving the window down when I'm not by my car and the fact that I have a baby now and ask that wind would be blowing on her. Also, 7 months after the window started acting up the passenger driver side door began to not open up from the inside and only somethings from the outside. I've checked the child lock and it is not on. About a week after it started doing that my husband and I got home, husband was in the back with our baby, I tried to open the door and it wouldn't open. Somehow the door got locked and wouldn't unlock, tried to unlock it from driver door unlock button and from pulling on the nob on the actual door itself, it just wouldn't even unlock. Therefore, I had to go to the other side to get our baby out and my husband had to climb over the carseat base to get out the other side. I'd like to know why and how we could get it fixed.. the vehicle isn't very old and shouldn't be acting upn. With those 2 things not working it could cause safety issues.

- Camdenton, MO, USA

Oct 032014

Xterra 6-cyl

The radiator fluid leaked into the transmission and ruined the transmission and valve body assembly. The car will not run and stalled out in an intersection.

- Austin, TX, USA

Sep 082014

Car will not upshift sometimes seems electrical.

- Providence Forge, VA, USA

Jan 012014

The first time I noticed something wrong with the transmission, the vehicle would make a large vibrating sound at random times. This would keep getting worse until I had to bring it to a shop, overall just about a week. I was told the transmission and radiator fluids were mixing and that I needed a fluid flush a long with a new radiator. About 6 months later, my car just wouldn't start one morning. I take it to the shop again, hoping it is just a minor fix this time. This time there is something wrong with the transmission and computer system. Luckily I wasn't driving when this happened, otherwise who knows what damage it would have caused to the car or to me.

- Johnson City, TN, USA

Nov 072013

Xterra 6-cyl

My wife refueled her vehicle and the "service engine soon" light came on. The gas gauge then went from full to zero and low fuel light came on. Soon after, the tmps sensor also went out. I thought it might be the gas cap being lose, but it wasn't. the gas gauge will fluctuate between empty and full. This is my wife's car and it is a hazard to be driven on the road, especially if she runs out of gas.

- Carlisle, PA, USA

Sep 062013

The airbag lite began flashing on the dashboard. Took vehicle to the dealership and the only fix action was to begin replacing parts that Nissan recommended until it was fixed. No exact fix was given only the following: Visually check wiring harness for connection and damage. All ok. Next step in procedure is to replace driver's airbag module. Subsequent procedures are to replace spiral cable, then diagnostic unit, and related harness. These are all costly steps and the parts being replaced may not be bad. The dealership couldn't determine exactly which portion was failing. In conclusion: The fix action was being replacing parts (extremely costly) until the problem is fixed. Computer code: B1054 (driver airbag module open).

- Greensboro, NC, USA

Apr 112013

Xterra 6-cyl

I have a 2007 Nissan Xterra. At about 61000 miles I filled the gas tank. When I started my car I noticed the fuel gauge was still sitting on empty. Soon thereafter the "service engine soon" message appeared on my dash instruments and has not gone off since. I notice there have already been about 156 of the very same problems reported with many of the people running out of gas because of this. There should be a recall for this item.

- Dandridge, TN, USA

Apr 012013

Xterra 6-cyl

Vehicle had total failure on highway. Nissan dealer says it is from transmission contamination. Tcm totally failed, no power.

- Rochester, IL, USA

Nov 012012

Xterra 6-cyl

Experienced intermittent fuel gage operation and inaccurate fuel level reading with check engine light on. Diagnosed as P0463 ECM error code (fuel level sensor). Nissan has confirmed the error code and refuses to repair/replace the fuel sending unit because vehicle is out of warranty despite previous recalls on other year models for the same issue.

- Avondale, PA, USA

Jan 182013

Xterra 6-cyl

The TPMS warning flashes then stays on.... all codes were read and addressed by Nissan dealership and all sensors were confirmed in working order. Light gone after codes were cleared but returned within the hour while driving. Is it a sensor or the computer going bad in this area? 2007 Nissan Xterra.

- Sweetwater, TN, USA

Apr 012012

Xterra 6-cyl

Gas gauge does not work and the ses light stays on. I did research that turned up that the 2006 and 2008 models are effected by a recall for the gas tank collapsing and crushing the level sensor. This is potentially the exact situation that I am seeing with the 2007 model and its hard to believe the design changed, then changed back to the faulty design over the three years with out the recall being issue until 3/22/11. This problem should be investigated.

- Norfolk, VA, USA

May 302012

Nissan Xterra 2007. P0463 service engine soon warning display started on the dash and inaccurate fuel reading. Only 39,800 original mileage on speedometer.

- Kent, WA, USA

Jan 032012

Xterra 6-cyl

Error code P0463, fuel sensor error. When the gas tank is full, the gauge registers empty (less then E actually) until some of the fuel is used and then the gauge registers accurately (I think).

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Jul 072007

The contact owns a 2007 Nissan Xterra. The contact was driving approximately 35-40 mph when the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact was able to restart the vehicle and it was taken to an authorized dealer for inspection. The dealer made repairs to the vehicle however, the contact stated that the vehicle was in worse condition after repairs. The steering wheel was extremely loose, the fuel level gauge was not operating, the tire pressure warning gauge indicator remained illuminated and occasionally, the vehicle would fail to start. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer but was not repaired. The contact stated that there were several recalls repairs made to the vehicle but he was not sure which recall repairs were performed. The failure persisted and the vehicle was not further repaired. The failure mileage was 29,000 and the current mileage was 63,700.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Sep 132010

The contact owns a 2007 Nissan Xterra. The contact was driving approximately 40 mph when the horn was engaged and it failed to respond. The contact stated the horn would engage when turning the steering wheel either left or right. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where they informed the contact that the failure was contributed to the spiral cable. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified and they were unable to provide any further assistance. The failure mileage was 80,000. Updated 04/01/11

- Harlingen, TX, USA

Nov 152009

The contact owns a 2007 Nissan Xterra. While driving 40 mph and shifting gears, the clutch failed. The vehicle was taken to a repair shop where the clutch was replaced. The failure recurred immediately after the contact drove eighteen miles. The vehicle was taken back to the mechanic that previously repaired the vehicle and replaced the clutch again. The contact also stated that the heater and air conditioner fuses became inoperable. When he consulted an authorized dealer, he was informed that the fan blower was defective and needed to be replaced. The fuse failed again and the dealer replaced the blower motor twice. The dealer also suspected that an electrical harness may have caused the failure to occur but the parts would not be available until the end of June 2010. The contact called the manufacturer who confirmed that his warranty had expired; therefore, he would be responsible for the repair expenses. The failure mileage was approximately 60,000. The current mileage was approximately 67,000.

- Rockville, MD, USA