CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005-2007 Xterra appears to have a widespread defect where coolant leaks into the transmission, causing transmission failure around 90,000 miles. Repair costs are typically upwards of $3,500.

The same defect exists in the Pathfinder & Frontier as well. And according to the New York Times & a class action lawsuit, the defect actually extends through 2010 model year. More info here.

1.8

2007 Nissan Xterra miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Nissan Xterra:

2007 Nissan Xterra Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Nov 212016

Xterra

While driving, the car started not to shift well when changing gears. I've noticed on the highway and on the city roads. I took it to the dealer within that week and they said it was my transmission and that it will cost over $3000 to fix. When I purchased the car 2 years ago, I also purchased a bumper to bumper warranty that included the transmission. I did not have the paperwork with me so I had to go home to look for it. Once I found it, I called and sent the copy directly to the dealer. They called me the following day saying my warranty covers everything except intermix ingrid which was exactly what it was. I spent extra money to make sure if anything happens to my car I could get it fixed with the warranty. They told me they couldn't do anything and to fix it I must pay the $3000. I had my car for 2 years and it only has 75,000 mikes and now my transmission goes out" I researched what intermix ingrid is and found out I'm not the only one with this problem?"! Nissan isn't taking responsibility and instead charging us all $3000+ to get the problem that everyone is having fixed. There should be a recall or the warranty should cover this problem. Nissan should not be making a profit on an issue they are aware and not trying to notify people about.

- Norwalk, CT, USA

Sep 142016

Xterra

I noticed my coolant level was low, but no leaks. I took it in and had it checked. The man put a new cap on the radiator, said he pressure tested it and could find no leaks. A few days later, on my way home from work, it barely made it home. After I parked I tried to start it and it wouldn't. my husband researched it and read about radiator coolant in the transmission and sure enough that's what happened.the repairs come out to be more than the vehicle is worth. I feel so ripped off. That was the first expensive vehicle I'd ever purchased. I only had it for 3 years and had just paid off the $18,000. Now I have nothing. Complete devastation since I live paycheck to paycheck. I feel like I just tossed thousands of dollars out the window. My Nissan has 119,000 miles. I always maintained it and thought it would last at least 100,000 more.

- Fulton, CA, USA

Sep 302016

Xterra

I brought this car in 2007 and have had electrical issues, and have maintained the car regularly. I was driving recently and only had 91K miles and the transmission just suddenly went without warning.

- Cedar Park, TX, USA

Jul 272016

Xterra

I purchased an Nissan Xterra 2007 SUV in 2008. Can has been well maintain. I recently took trip and in my way back car started to feel and sound weird.I just felt different. I went to Nissan to check it. I thought it was the breaks or something else. But I was informed that Xterra had an extended guarantee on the transmission because the coolant was leaking in to the transmission. It will cost me 2,500-3,000 to fix. I was never notified or warned of this defect. Why "??" I have to pay this. I even purchased an insurance up to 60,000miles car is only 76,351. Very very unfair.

- Santa Ana, CA, USA

May 272016

Xterra

Coolant leaked over into transmission. This seems to be a big issue with these vehicles. Now need new transmission and radiator. Yes there was a slight settlement years ago but no recall... this should be a recall. I have no money to fix and now cant even get to work to even try to make money to pay for it.

- North Charleston, SC, USA

Apr 222016

Xterra

Tried to start car and jumped car with no success. Had to be towed to dealership. Dealership stated that the transmission fluids and radiator fluids had combined and corrupted the computer that starts the car.

- Germantown, TN, USA

Apr 152016

Xterra

Timing chain failure at 76000 miles. Needs to be replaced at cost of $1200.

- East Wenatchee, WA, USA

Feb 242016

Xterra

Our 2007 Nissan Xterra had a leak in the radiator, that cost $500 to fix, but it leaked radiator fluid into the transmission which is going to cost $3,500 to $5,000 to fix.

- West Valley City, UT, USA

Oct 182015

Xterra

Driving down freeway, vehicle started to shudder/vibrate, check engine light comes on, can's accelerate, smoke coming from the hood of the vehicle. Pulled the vehicle off the highway. Take it to a mechanic, where he diagnoses the problem as transmission/radiator coolant issues. Hose broke and the fluid from the radiator/transmission mixed causing transmission to stop working. Take to Nissan dealer, told $6000 to fix. I have an extended warranty since I purchased vehicle used (Ford warranty). Told Ford will not cover anything, since the "transmission" wasn't really the problem. It was the coolant lines to the transmission that caused the problem. Just Ford (big business) trying to find a way around paying for something. I paid for the warranty, and the warranty is basically useless. Was told by the dealership where I purchased the vehicle Liberty Ford, maple hts., Ohio that it would cover transmission issues. What a scam. I will never purchase another Nissan vehicle nor will I ever purchase an extended warranty. Frustrated Nissan owner in Ohio.

- Walton Hills, OH, USA

Aug 212015

Xterra

While driving the vehicle stalled. It turned out to be the radiator leaking coolant into the transmission and fried the transmission. This is apparently a common problem in Nissan. When taken to the local mechanic he said it would cost $5000 plus to fix this problem.

- Vero Beach, FL, USA

Aug 062015

Xterra

My coolant system has leaked into my transmission system causing malfunction of both. This causes my car to hesitate when accelerating and will eventually cause the transmission to give out completely while in motion.this appears to be a common problem that Nissan is aware of and has not adequately addressed.

- Fairfax, VA, USA

Jul 032015

Xterra

Noticed a strawberry colored fluid coming from the radiator overflow reservoir. Checked the radiator and found that the whole cooling system had the same color of fluid. I took my Xterra to a radiator shop and had the cooling system flushed and antifreeze replaced. I was told that what happened was that the transmission cooler had failed and that antifreeze and transmission fluid mixed together and went through the cooling system and transmission. I first got the radiator replaced and cooling system flushed again. I had been hearing a suspicious noise from the transmission and noticed that transmission was starting to slip. All this in williston, nd which was 620 miles from my home. I had to take the train home. We had to rent a car for my wife to use so I could use her Nissan armada to go back to williston and tow it back home. I also had to rent an auto Transport trailer. My car is now in the shop getting the transmission rebuilt. I have been told by my mechanic and read several complaints online that the only solution for the transmission is to get it rebuilt or replaced, which can take up to $6000, depending on where you go. This is an ongoing problem and Nissan needs to be held responsible. From what I can see online there has been at least 300 complaints filed, and I am sure there has been other issues that haven't been reported. I also have found that there was a class action lawsuit filed and there was warranty extension granted up to 100,00 miles. I am sure that the NHTSA is also aware that 90% of the complaints are from car owners that have over 100,000 miles on there odometer. I am also sure that Nissan is also aware of this and know that this is a manufacturers defect and are doing what ever is possible to avoid fixing and replacing 100's of transmissions. I am hoping that this matter can be dealt with swiftly and once and for all.

- Afton, MN, USA

Apr 182015

Xterra

Saturday morning, April 18, while exiting a parking lot in my wife's 2007 Xterra, the vehicle inexplicably accelerated in dramatic fashion – momentarily out of control. I rode the brakes, as the car continued forward some 50 – 60 ft in a rapid bucking motion until I was able to put the transmission in neutral and turn off the engine. I waited a couple of minutes, restarted, and the engine resumed its intense RPM. Again I turned off the engine, waited perhaps 10 minutes, and restarted with normal performance. In the immediate aftermath there is a resultant brake squeal, that wasn't prior apparent, and directly related to the braking associated with the violent acceleration action. The air bag warning light was activated as well.

- Vallejo, CA, USA

Jun 242015

Xterra

I was driving on the innerloop of the beltway 495 from falls church va, to Chevy chase md after work around 330pm. I was on the middle lane on the american legion bridge when all of a sudden my truck lost power and I had no control or was able to accelerate. The RPM's were moving but the truck barely moved. I put my hazards on and slowly moved to the right shoulder where other cars could have hit me. Nissan's failure to recognize the seriousness of this faulty radiator that has affected the transmissions of both the Xterra's, pathfinders, and frontiers is unacceptable. I was told that since I am over 100,000 and that I am not covered under this warranty for Nissan's issue. I want to make sure you are aware that this could possible lead to a more serious accident with these transmission issues.

- Chevy Chase, MD, USA

May 122015

Xterra

On December 17, 2012, 2007 Xterra with 63,200 miles was taken to Nissan dealer in Oregon. The complaint: "at 50-55 mph the transmission skips and catches like a bump on smooth surface." Also asked that dealer check whine from the engine compartment. Service dept recommended "no repairs for radiator/transmission at this time just recommend routine service of transmission fluid as per 60,000 interval… fluids not contaminated." Engine whine was diagnosed as timing chain issue. Secondary timing chains and tensioners were replaced. Total cost: $1,185.81. Service personnel said hang on to receipt, Nissan may issue recall on chronic timing chain problem. On May 12, 2015 same vehicle with 88,500 miles, was taken to Nissan dealer in Tennessee. Complaint: At speeds between 40-45 mph vehicle vibrates as shifts gears. Also, gas tank fuel-level sensor not functioning. Service dept. Replaced gas tank sensor and diagnosed vibration as insulating shield on driveshaft that had broken loose. Radiator also replaced as preemptive way to avoid Nissan Xterra's ticking bomb of catastrophic transmission failure. Vehicle picked up after repair and vibration when transmission shifting resumed within half mile of dealership. Returned vehicle to dealer. Diagnosis: Must not have been driveshaft problem, must be the transmission is already gone. One week later picked up vehicle with new transmission. Was told transmission fluid looked like chocolate milk – contaminated by failed original radiator. Total bill: $3,178.99 including a $2,500 copay under "warranty extension" to address chronic defective radiator causing transmission failure.

- Pulaski, TN, USA

Apr 242015

Xterra

A hesitation in the vehicle's acceleration began occurring frequently upon depressing the accelerator after a full stop at a stop sign or red light, but not at any other time in driving the vehicle. The problem was first noted when departing the dealership after which a new timing chain had been replaced. When reviewed by the dealership upon return to the service area (another appointment had been made at later time), a loss of over one quart of transmission fluid was detected (over what time period was unclear), but no known source of external leakage was found. This led to the conclusion that internal leakage was very likely occurring. Due to the many instances of radiator cracks and toxic mixing of fluids among similar year models (mid-2000 model years of Nissan Xterra), the dealership recommended that the radiator be replaced and the transmission thoroughly flushed, which might prevent the transmission from requiring a complete overhaul in the future - although there are no guarantees. This work was completed for a total of $1500 including discount; the incident occurred well after the extended warranty provided by the manufacturer for resolving issues that had been experienced by others, hence the dealership's charges. A request was nonetheless made to get reimbursed by the manufacturer (Nissan), currently under review. It is possible that this issue was dealt with at a very early stage and might therefore result in a lower probability of transmission problems in the future, which could cost several thousand dollars ($6-7,000 or more). Other drivers/owners have typically experienced more severe issues, such as shaking/stalling vehicles and/or illuminated dashboard lights indicating engine problems.

- Palm Springs, CA, USA

Mar 122014

Xterra

I took my car in for an oil change in April 2014 and they found a milky substance in my radiator and replaced the radiator cleaned the lines and replaced the antifreeze. They also drained the transmission fluid, cleaned the lines and replaced the trans fluid. In March 2015, I noticed the hesitation when the car was switching gears from 45 to 50 mph. I took it to aamco and they advised this is a known defect that Nissan is being sued about. I contacted consumer affiairs with Nissan and filed a case. I took my Nissan to a Nissan dealer and they confirmed it needed a new transmission and radiator at a cost of $7000. They also advised given the mileage that Nissan would not do anything and they were right.

- Riverside, MO, USA

Apr 232015

Xterra

We bought a 2007 Nissan Xterra in 2010 from autonation in denver. We bought a warranty effective until 8/29/2015 or 120,000 miles. We have been bringing it to autonation for service for the last five years. Apparently there was a class action lawsuit against Nissan regarding a flaw in the radiator that leaks fluid into the transmission. This is not good for the transmission to say the least. Needless to say that is exactly what happened and we were never informed of this problem. If we would have known, we would have fixed the radiator years ago and our car would not be need a new transmission. Our car has been having transmission issues for the last month at 117,000 miles. Nissan is refusing to help with this problem and the transmission is covered under the warranty we purchased.

- Silverthorne, CO, USA

Jun 072014

Xterra 6-cyl

I purchased a 2007 Nissan Xterra 200 miles away from my home and while driving it home the vehicle transmission stopped working properly. The vehicle drove ok at highway speeds but once I slowed, to in town speeds, the vehicle lost the gears ability to drive the vehicle. If this occurred to me while on the highway I could have been in a much greater danger. This more than likely has occurred to others that own these types of vehicles, putting them in a very unsafe environment. If there was fluid loss or overheating it could lead to a vehicle fire as well. I would like a recall to occur for the transmission/radiator crossover to the 2005-2010 Nissan - Xterra, pathfinder, and frontier.

- Grand Canyon, AZ, USA

Sep 062013

Xterra

The airbag lite began flashing on the dashboard. Took vehicle to the dealership and the only fix action was to begin replacing parts that Nissan recommended until it was fixed. No exact fix was given only the following: Visually check wiring harness for connection and damage. All ok. Next step in procedure is to replace driver's airbag module. Subsequent procedures are to replace spiral cable, then diagnostic unit, and related harness. These are all costly steps and the parts being replaced may not be bad. The dealership couldn't determine exactly which portion was failing. In conclusion: The fix action was being replacing parts (extremely costly) until the problem is fixed. Computer code: B1054 (driver airbag module open).

- Greensboro, NC, USA