2008 Nissan Xterra fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Nissan Xterra:

2008 Nissan Xterra Owner Comments

Dec 042015

As I was turning left onto a highway and in the intersection, my vehicle died. Had to be pushed through the intersection while traffic was being held back in 5 lanes. The gas tank registered an eighth tank of gas but it was, in fact, out of gas. I had to have this repaired at a repair shop because I was not near a dealer. I never received a recall notice(campaign id# pc 042, NHTSA# 10V-075) but found out later there was one on certain VIN numbers with my make and model vehicle. The dealer claims it should be covered but Nissan says this VIN # is not covered. Regardless, I had the described problem with the make and model vehicle that has this problem and I could have been killed. Perhaps they need to add more VIN #'s to their recall list and get on the same page as their dealers. This was an expensive repair for me to absorb. I was to leave on a road trip in 2 days. Thankfully it happened before I was traveling.

- Peoria, IL, USA

Sep 262014

The contact owns a 2008 Nissan Xterra. The fuel gauge displayed that the fuel tank was empty when there was fuel present in the tank. The dealer diagnosed that the fuel tank shells malfunctioned and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Feb 022015

The gas gauge no longer works. I had it connected to diagnostics and was told the sending unit is bad(no longer works).

- Adger, AL, USA

Sep 302014

In preparing to travel, I went to fill up my gas tank. Upon getting back into my vehicle and turning it on my gas gage dropped to "0" and the fuel light and check engine light went on, indicating that the tank was empty, and who knows what else was wrong. I contacted Nissan and was issued a case number, and made an appointment with the Nissan dealership near my home. On 10/1/14, I brought my vehicle in, described incident to service clerk. They explained that they thought it was the fuel sender float and would do a diagnostic test. They confirmed that was indeed the issue. I was charged for the diagnostic testing and quoted over $400 to replace the part. Since I had no choice, I paid for the testing, but did not have the part replaced. Over a month later, I'm still dealing with this issue. I found that the usdot had issue a recall in 2010 for 2006 -2008 Nissan Xterra's. my vehicle is a 2008 model, purchased in October 2007.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Mar 082011

I am drive in hwy my light fuel on when I sure we have gas many times happen after.

- San Antonio, TX, USA