2012 Nissan Xterra seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Nissan Xterra:

2012 Nissan Xterra Owner Comments

Sep 132006

Xterra

I'm filing a complaint before I have an incident. I own a Nissan Xterra. Many other Nissan Xterra owners have had spontaneous side curtain air bag deployment when traveling very slowly, generally on dirt roads. Some of these deployments have caused injuries. The problem appears to be common on all 2nd generation Nissan Xterras (2006-2016). The following links are to Xterra forum threads and professional publications about random airbag deployment in Xterras. There are many more documented cases of this online, the links below are a taste. This also may be a problem with Nissan frontiers, which are basically the truck variant of the Xterra. tinyurl.com/hso3elx tinyurl.com/J7U9E8K tinyurl.com/zjt6zmr tinyurl.com/hqggbto

- Ashburn, VA, USA

Nov 302012

Xterra 6-cyl

Passenger side air bag warning light intermittently goes on w/ seat occupied (120lb adult), seat belt fastened, seat in normal upright position - indicating the air bag is deactivated. I asked the dealer I purchased the vehicle (new) from about this anomaly at the first service (2220 miles/3mos) on 2-20-2013 and was told there was nothing they could do - "read the owners manual". we did many different experiments with seating position, seat back angle on subsequent trips, with no positive results. The only experiment that provided positive results was for her to hold our 20 lb dog on her lap - not a satisfactory or permanent solution. I took the vehicle to another dealer for this specific issue on 4-22-2013 and was told they could do nothing, and that I should contact Nissan Consumer Affairs which I have done with zero help or satisfaction as of today. As someone who spent some 30 years identifying problems like this and overseeing the development, testing and production of fixes for aircraft, the engineering required to provide owners like us with a suitable fix to this problem would not seem to me to be all that large or costly. Given that this reoccurring problem in an important saftey system on this and other Nissan models as well as many in vehicles produced by other manufacturers, I am confident your offices could produce quick and meaningful results for evryone - owners and manufacturers by applying pressure and establishing a meaningful criterion for the activation/deactivation of the passenger seat air bag system.

- St Louis , MO, USA