NHTSA — Air Bags Problems

1996 Pontiac Grand Am seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1996 Pontiac Grand Am:

1996 Pontiac Grand Am Owner Comments

Mar 032008

Grand Am

1996 Pontiac Grand Am air bags deployed with no contact or collision. Vehicle had to be sold to salvage co. Due to local codes. Vehicle damage too costly to repair. Driver sustained injury.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Sep 011996

Grand Am

06/05 water under the dash made me think the windshield was leaking-an auto glass dealer determined it was not leaking and agreed to take out the carpet-he discovered the firewall was not sealed properly from the factory- I paid him to seal it & dry & replace the carpet...09/07 I had problems with the all the alarm lights on the dash coming on---after turning off &restarting the car--the only light left on was the air bag light----06/17/08 I received an 'owner manual supplement' to add to my owners manual telling me the "air bag controller" may or may not deploy in a crash or even without warning....this is a design defect...there are 1000's of the these time bombs going down the same highways we are traveling-GM needs to issue a recall & replace these---GM is not able to notify every owner of this problem after 12 years-people are driving these vehicles 60 and 70 miles an hour down the highways & their air bag may deploy without warning--the potential for horrific accidents even deaths of innocent people are inevitable-please force GM to take recall not print inserts for the owners manuals.

- Muncie, IN, USA

Apr 052008

Grand Am

Air bag light stays on after you start the car due to air bag controller getting wet. It is under the passenger seat.

- Jeannette, PA, USA

Jun 162008

Grand Am

There is water on all four floors of my car (front driver and passenger/back seat two both passenger sides). The rear left floor has particularly heavy water saturation. My air bag light has also stayed on for the last two weeks. Yesterday, I received a letter from GM indicating that the air bag controller on the 1996 Pontiac Grand Am is mounted above the floor pan beneath the front passenger seat, and that if the vehicle is exposed to significant water entering the interior and soaking the carpet, the air bag controller can be soaked and damaged. The damaged controller can make the air bags deflate, even without impact or crash. Conversely, the air bags may not deploy at all because of the controller damage. This letter was sent by GM as an owner manual supplement and they will not be responsible for what is clearly a problem. At this point, no recall has been issued. Because I am unemployed, I have no money to repair the car, and am scared to drive it. Hence, I now have no transportation as well as no money or job. GM should be responsible for this. If they are aware enough of a problem as to notify owners of this car, they should be paying for repairs to a car that is saturated with water.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Mar 172008

Grand Am

Air bags deployed while driving the car ( no crash).

- Bath, NY, USA

May 032008

Grand Am

The contact owns a 1996 Pontiac Grand Am. While driving 25 mph uphill, both front air bags deployed. The contact was unable to notify the dealer due to a weekend schedule. The vehicle is currently at her place of employment. The failure mileage was 172,000.

- Greenbay, WI, USA

Mar 162008

Grand Am 6-cyl

Air bags driver and passenger deployed while driving car for no reason no auto crash.

- Bath, OR, USA

May 072007

Grand Am 6-cyl

My daughter's vehicle air bag came on. We made a appointment with the garage. Meanwhile on the way to work she turned the key on and the air bag went off. Injuries were sustained.

- Potsdam, NY, USA

Mar 092007

Grand Am 4-cyl

- the contact owns a 1996 Pontiac Grand Am. Three of the customers children while driving at 25 mph the driver side and passenger side air bags deployed without warning. No warning lights illuminated before or after they deployed. The driver sustained bruises and some abrasions from the air bag, including a minor injury to his eye when a piece of plastic popped off. GMC offered the contact $3,000 for the vehicle, and stated that they would assume liability. However, they were unable to diagnose the failure. The current and failure mileage were 95,000. The consumer stated that her daughter also sustained minor burns and injuries. Updated 10/16/07

- Oxford, MI, USA

Feb 082005

Grand Am 4-cyl

A tech issue memo issued from Pontiac/GM dated April, 1998 stated that owners may claim water leaking into the front passenger compartment of the car due to an inferior adhesive used during the manufacturing process on the top vent grille... was given to me by my mechanic, after I disvoered water leakage on my passenger area floor for 2 years (which I attributed to my negligence only) until this water leakage finally caused a short in my air bag module (located under the front passenger seat) which caused all of the other car electrical systems to short out. Seal to the top vent grille was replaced, short repaired, airbag module was disconnected and the battery was replaced. The airbag module will be replaced at a later date when I can afford it. This totals $956.99 (including NY sales tax) which I requested Pontiac reimburse me for. They steadfastedly refuse to reimburse me due to basically 4 things: (1) the warranty time expired on the car, (2) the age of the car, (3) the fact that I didn't bring it directly to Pontiac to fix it (4) the fact that it wasn't a recall... my arguement is: (1) the warranty expiring shouldn't absolve GM/Pontiac of responsibility of the defect, (2) the normal wear and tear on this car (in spite of it's age) wouldn't have produced this water damage if the top vent grille was properly sealed in the manufacturing process by Pontiac in the first place (3) I didn't know that Pontiac caused this problem until after the damage was done and my mechanic told me about the tech issue memo (I have a copy) and (4) why wasn't this a recall? I sent a letter to Pontiac's customer assistance center in detroit, mi on or about June 27, 2005 with all relevant documentation backing up my claim (yours for the asking), who called me back today, refusing to reimburse me on this claim. I know that negligence by Pontiac caused some major damage to my car of which I believe I should be reimbursed for.

- Bronx, NY, USA

Dec 152004

Grand Am 6-cyl

On wenesday December 15 at approximentally 7:20 P.M. I went out to my boyfriend, scott fuller's car to roll up a window that was down. As I placed the key in the ignition, and turned 1 click, the air bag spontaneously deployed in my face. I have a cut in the middle of my throat, and I bit through my lip on the right side, I have bruising on the left side of my chest and I can barely hear in me left ear. His windows are electric that is why I needed to put the key in the ignition. He has a 1996 Pontiac Grand Am GT, VIN # 2nw12M6tc813666, car mileage:142,441and his insurance company is aa&J insurance company 109 E. main St. Gouverneur N.Y. 13642 policy # 17772843-1.

- Gouverneur, NY, USA

Mar 032004

Grand Am

While sitting at a red light passenger's side air bag deployed. Also, while turning into a parking lot driver's side air bag deployed. Vehicle was filled with CO2.

- Waterford Township, MI, USA

Apr 172002

Grand Am

While leaving a parking space air bag deployed by itself. Vehicle was not in a crash. Dealer contacted.

- Buffalo, NY, USA

Nov 142000

Grand Am

Constant problems mostly electrical, but from windows and locks to major things like alternators and ignition switches multiple times. Contacted Pontiac over a year and never heard even a reply. Any recalls or factory fix info would be appreciated.

- Sebastian, FL, USA

Jun 012000

Grand Am

In June 2000 horn started sounding off at all hours I have to tap the horn several times to make it stop. I took the grandam to a Pontiac dealership courtesy of lex. The service dept. Iformed me that my airbag was swelling and could deploy at anytime. They were going to charge me $700 to replace the system. I refused. I feel that this is a factory defect.

- Lexington, KY, USA

Oct 291999

Grand Am

The sensor, due to water in and under the carpeting, caused the driver side air bag to deploy.

- Mounds View, MN, USA

Oct 291999

- Mounds View, MN, USA

Sep 091995

Grand Am

Violent deployment of air bag during collision, resulting in injuries to head, neck and face.

- Wheeling, WV, USA

Aug 291997

Grand Am

Unspecified: Consumer is concerned about air bag being to close to her chest, air bag warnings indicate she is positioned too close to the missile and will suffer injury on deployment. The law states that the dealership cannot remove the air bag.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA