NHTSA — Equipment: Electrical: Anti-Theft Devices Problems

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

2.2

2001 Pontiac Grand Am accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Pontiac Grand Am:

2001 Pontiac Grand Am Owner Comments

Apr 142010

Grand Am

The contact owns a 2001 Pontiac Grand Am. The contact stated that the vehicle would not start and the security light began flashing on the instrument panel. The vehicle was towed to a repair shop where the key was reset which allowed the vehicle to start. The failure continued to occur three times after the key was reset. The VIN was not available. The current and failure mileages were approximately 130,000.

- Rockester, NY, USA

Mar 012004

Grand Am 6-cyl

Three big issues with this car: 1) the worst-I've had problems with the security system shorting three times. Each time, the car turns over but will not start. The security light flashed twice, but did not come on the third time. The first time the dealer adjusted the system (whatever that means) which was covered under warranty. The second time (two months later), my car would not start at 2am outside of a bar, so I had to have it towed. This time the whole system was replaced under my warranty. The third time (four months later) my car would not start and had to be towed. The system was again replaced, this time it was covered under a parts& labor warranty so at least I didn't have to pay anything. 2) the brakes. I had the rotors replaced because of extreme vibrating when breaking, as well as a loud squealing noise that would start after the breaks heated up. The squealing noise did not go away so I had the breaks' hardware replaced. That worked for a while. Six months later, the vibrating has come back and there is a loud grinding noise when the breaks get wet (I.e. rain). 3) coolant light comes on frequently. First, I simply replaced the coolant much more often than should be necessary. Finally, I let my dealer convince me to pay the $700 to have it fixed (I'm not sure what the problem was) a year ago. The coolant light is now coming on again, so I'm just refilling it frequently. I've only had this car 18 months. I'm in love with the look and the pickup, but it is completely unreliable. When can I get it declared a lemon? at least I still have 10K miles left on the extended warranty I purchased with it. If I can't extended it again, I will sell this unreliable car.

- Columbia, MD, USA

Sep 282001

Grand Am 4-cyl

Had the vehicle in the shop 4 times for the same thing, when getting into vehicle to start it will not start. Everything dealer said to try worked. Had to turn it on acceleration for 10 minutes until everything stopped flashing, and turn off.then turn back on and it will start. First time fuel injector/ second fuel pump, and last two times it was the security system. Now it was doing the same thing again.

- Magnolia, KY, USA