NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2001 Pontiac Grand Am (Page 4 of 6) Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

2001 Pontiac Grand Am electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Pontiac Grand Am:

2001 Pontiac Grand Am Owner Comments (Page 4 of 6)

Aug 122009

Grand Am 4-cyl

This complaint is regarding my 2001 Pontiac Grand Am. There was nothing going on leading up to this problem it just started happening 1 day. It has to do with the passlock system and having to reset the system for the car to be able to start which I was told takes a 1/2 hour of 3 ten minutes turning key to on then off and right back to on then it resets and will start. This had been going on for about 6 months. It started off once a month, but now it is more frequent, like once a week at least. Recently it happened twice in one day. It is happening once or twice a week now. I was told I need a new ignition switch and that it would be about $250 if this is happening to more cars than just mine, which appears to be the case, they really ought to have a recall on it.

- Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Oct 192007

Grand Am

The contact owns a 2001 Pontiac Grand Am. When attempting to start the vehicle, the system went into safe mode for ten minutes before actually starting. The problem occurred intermittently. When the vehicle was taken to an authorized dealership, the dealer stated that there was nothing wrong with the vehicle. The failure mileage was approximately 82,000. The current mileage was approximately 92,000.

- Seeter Falls, IA, USA

Mar 252010

Grand Am

My signal light wont stop clicking which leads to the steering column smoking.

- Midland, 00, USA

Oct 252008

Grand Am

I own a 2001 Pontiac Grand Am. After my security light lit and my car wouldn't start, I mechanic friend told me about the problems with the passlock system, my car started after just letting my key on in the acc position for 15 minutes this problem first occurred in October of 2008 and basically has continued at least weekly up to the present time. I never replaced any parts thankfully, but my car now will not run even after resetting the security feature. I have read may incidents about this problem on numerous web sites as well as this one. Why wont GM admit there is a problem and issue a recall?

- Saint Marys, PA, USA

Dec 202009

Grand Am

Have a 2001 Pontiac Grand Am with 93000 miles--in past 2 years, it has intermittently not started--have replaced the fuel pump, battery, power steering pump, transmission and was finally told it is the passlock security system malfunction. Now it is not starting approx. Once a month. Local mechanic said it is security passlock and there is no fix but call the dealer. Spoke with 3 dealers and was told there is no sure fix--are aware of the problem, but can not fix. Have to sit and wait approx. 10 minutes to reset security. Where's the recall on this"?????"

- Marshalltown, IA, USA

Sep 212009

Grand Am

2001 Grand Am GT with 67,000 miles. Hazard lights and turn signals worked only sometimes. Had recalled switch replaced, now I have nothing at all. Garages can't seem to figure out what's wrong and I hate driving without turn signals. Getting a ticket for not having them is the least of worries.

- Sch.Haven, PA, USA

Apr 012009

Grand Am

2001 Pontiac Grand Am. Every once in a while (sometimes for a whole month) my car doesn't start, and the "security" light flashes. In this case, I have to turn the key to the "start" position, and let the car sit for 10 minutes before I can start it. I have read many other complaints about this problem and feel that some recall should be activated. This is not something that we, as owners, should have to replace.

- Douglas, WY, USA

Jun 202007

Grand Am

The contact owns a 2001 Pontiac Grand Am. On two occasions, the vehicle failed to start. The security light was illuminated. The vehicle was towed and a mechanic stated that the computer indicated that there was a security failure; however, when the failure recurred the dealer stated that the fuel pump and ignition needed to be replaced. After replacing the fuel pump and ignition the failure recurred. The mechanic advised the contact that after placing the key into the ignition slightly turn it on for about 15 minutes until the light it no longer illuminated. The dealer stated that there were no existing recalls. The failure continued to occur. The failure mileage was 80000 and current mileage was 102000.

- Baldwin, MO, USA

Jul 282009

Grand Am

There is a problem with the 2001 Grand Am passlock system that the manufacturer was aware of when they sold these cars.they need a recall on them as they are very expensive and the problem seems to not be fixed even when replacing them they just are delaying the problem for another year. Then you have to replace it again at $500 or more each time.

- Stockton, CA, USA

Jul 222009

Grand Am

Car was parked came out to leave car would not start had car towed to dealership where car was bought new-2nd time this has happened found ignition switch and passlock senor cylinder faulty dealership states a defect in this year of Grand Am bill runs around $700 each time-was told it would happen again in future.

- Oxford, ME, USA

Apr 172009

Grand Am

Recall number: 03V327000 dates manufactured: Mar 2000 to May 2001 number of vehicles affected: 670740 date owners notified on: Feb 2004 certain passenger vehicles have hazard warning switches that may experience solder joint cracking caused by rapid temperature transitions and the soldering process. If solder joint cracking occurs and results in an open circuit, the turn signals/hazard lamps become intermittent or inoperative. I tried calling Pontiac today and they refused to inspect my car free of charge. The also tell me that this is not a valid recall number. I have seval issues with my car. I have paid several thousands of dollars on this car.

- Menifee, CA, USA

Jun 102007

Grand Am

I have a 2001 Grand Am and I keep having the same problem with the security pass lock system. I first had this problem in 2004 and paid $400 to fix it. Well it started again June 07. I don't have the funds to fix it again so I keep resetting it.I also never received the info on the turn signals and hazard lights and now mine is messing up. They need to recall this system.

- Lynchburg, VA, USA

Dec 212007

Grand Am

I own a 2001 Pontiac Grand Am and a year ago I had a security light come on which makes the car not start and you have to go through a long process to get it to start a year ago I took it to a repair shop the had to change to whole ignition module and I think the whole ignition system I find this problem all over the internet and I've seen it countless time with friends and family I would like to see a recall be issued I am having the same problems I had a year ago.

- Watertown, NY, USA

Dec 092008

Grand Am

Car would not start. Has been an issue several times in the past. Cannot be battery, since that was replaced yesterday. The factory-installed anti-theft device is faulty and has been for nearly a year. The car has less than 70,000 miles on it!!!

- El Dorado, KS, USA

Oct 152008

Grand Am

2001 Pontiac Grand Am GT 111,000 miles. I have been having problems with starting the vehicle for the past 4+ months, as well as car stalling in intersections leaving me stranded and in unsafe conditions on numerous occasions. I have had the ignition replaced $380-did not fix the problem, and replaced ignition module $440 seems to be working now. I can see now why GM is going down the tubes. After researching on internet can see that there are thousands of complaints about the same problem. Can't believe there is not a recall as this is a very unsafe problem!!!!

- Glen Allen, VA, USA

May 122005

Grand Am

The contact owns a 2001 Pontiac Grand Am. While driving at various speeds, the contact heard a clicking noise coming from the dashboard. She also noticed that the turn signals and hazard lights stopped working. The vehicle has not been diagnosed by the dealer. The current mileage was 160,000 and failure mileage was 100,000.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Aug 122008

Grand Am

Car doesn't start. Reset the pass lock system. Happens everyday for 2 weeks. Pass lock system fails but cars runs. Pass lock system still failed but now car won't start.

- Rolling Hills Estates, CA, USA

Jul 162008

Grand Am

Periodically, the car will turn over, but not start. This occurs about every 10 days. If I leave the key in the "on" position for 10-15 minutes, the car will start when attempted. I received the tip about leaving the key on from another Grand Am owner that experienced the same issue.

- Towner, ND, USA

Jul 132008

Grand Am

I never received the recall on the exterior flashers. Had to have interior and exterior flashers changed at my expense. Also have had rotors and brakes changed 6 times in last 1 1/2 yrs. Was told its a problem but not on recall list.

- Wellsville, OH, USA

Jul 042008

Grand Am

Ignition lock/security will not allow car to start and in rare circumstances lead to instant shutdown.

- Matthews, NC, USA