Jerks At Different Speeds While Driving Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

2001 Pontiac Grand Am transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Pontiac Grand Am:

2001 Pontiac Grand Am Owner Comments

Aug 202010

Grand Am 2.4L 4 cyl

My car started jerking after getting to about 60 mph. I have changed the spark plugs because it seemed to just be a miss in the engine. It didn't do it for a couple of days and then started again. I run my kids a lot with sports and work and it is really getting annoying. I just don't want to be stranded one day, with my kids, on the side of the road. All I want to know is, how do I fix this?

- , Stephens City, VA, USA

May 012009

Grand Am SE1 2.4L 4 cyl

My car starts jerking while I'm driving on the interstate around 60 MPH. The problem worsens when I'm going up hills or when I'm stepping on the gas to pick up speed. I'm not sure if this is a transmission problem, a timing / spark plug issue, or a fuel system issue. I've had my fuel system flushed, fuel pump replaced, fuel filter replaced, spark plugs replaced, and transmission inspected and I'm still having problems. Since the Grand Am doesn't have spark plug wires, one mechanic thought that I might have a problem with the plate that serves as the Grand Am's spark plug wires. Any other ideas? This car has been a terrible experience and I can't wait to get something else!

- , Omaha, NE, USA

May 012009

Grand Am GT V6

I bought this car almost a year ago and yesterday it started jerking out of control while i was on a major free way miles and miles from home. i did make it home how ever im a home health care aid and my car is my life line. The car did this last weekend to, my friends mom pushed in my spark plugs and it didn't do it again until yesterday afternoon!

- , Marvin, NC, USA

Sep 202008

Grand Am GT 3.2L V6

All I can say is that I'm so glad the pontiac grand am is not being made anymore.This is the worst car I have ever owned. Big clunk every time you put it in gear, sometimes better to put in reverse first, the jerk isn't as bad. Ok so when the car hit 100,000. miles I thought I

ran out of gas, but it still showed that there was some in there. Well come to find out it was the security systems went bad, after I put more than a couple hundred dollars in it. Found out there was no fix, they didn't know what to do. I had to bypass the system and now every time I turn my key on the fuel pumps on. So now I have been through 3 fuel pumps. I could go on - it's just the worst car I have ever owned and now trying to get rid of it is a big nightmare.

- , Springfield, OH, USA

Feb 222008

Grand Am GT1 3.4L V6

Well I thought this was the perfect car when I was a graduate from highschool. Now I sit here 4 years later still paying on this car. I have had to put more into this car then I have actually gotten to pay off on it. First it was the gaskets, now its the transmission. I just really want to get my car paid off and find me a new one. NEVER OWNING A PONTIAC OR A GM EVER AGAIN. I just get disgusted. Why haven't these problems been recalled instead of us having to pay all of this money out of our pocket books. I just do not get it! I had no idea so many people have had the exact same problems on their cars as I have had on mine..

- , Granite Falls, MN, USA

Jan 172007

Grand Am GT 3.2L V6

Car is jerking, dealer says transmission has to come out and either be repaired or replaced at a cost of $800 to $3000. Just put $1700 into it this summer for intake manifold gasket, wheel bearing, fuel injector flushing, oil sending switch.. etc.. does this ever end with GM products? They don't stand behind these cars they sell us. I just made the last payment on this thing and can't afford another car payment. Has anyone had any luck getting GM to pay for any of this?

- , Lordstown, OH, USA