Oil In Coolant Overflow Tank

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

$1,000.00

1. replace intake manifold gasket (1 reports)
2002 Pontiac Grand Am cooling system problems

cooling system problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Pontiac Grand Am:

2002 Pontiac Grand Am Owner Comments

Aug 042008

Grand Am GT 3.4L V6

As so many have mentioned before, the 3.4L V6 in the Gran AM GT is problematic. In my case I had seen very small amounts of oil in my coolant overflow tank for years so didn't worry too much about it and checked it every month or so looking for more problems. Well, as I was having the oil changed today I hit the mother lode. There was lots of oil (luckily not emulsified) in the coolant. Took it to a garage to have it checked out to see if it was the oil cooler (not too bad), a head gasket (really bad) or an intake manifold gasket (just bad). Anyway the garage guy says it is the intake manifold and I will be out $1000 and without a car for two days. Unfortunately, I also have a 2004 Grand Am and based on the number of similar complaints, I should expect the same problem in about 20000 miles with that car. Think it is time to move to another brand. After all the suspension problems (lower A arm bushings replaced twice and strut mounts replaced twice) and now this intake issue, this car is just too expensive to own out of warranty.

- , Rochester, MI, USA