Can't Shift Into Park

2004 Pontiac Grand Am

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Pontiac dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

8.0

2. replace gear shift handle (1 reports)
2004 Pontiac Grand Am accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Pontiac Grand Am:

2004 Pontiac Grand Am Owner Comments

Jan 292007

Grand Am SE1 3.4L V6

Couldn't get the car into Reverse or Park; it was stuck in Neutral or Drive, so I couldn't get the keys out. Parked it in Neutral with parking brake on and disconnected the battery. This happened to me twice in three weeks, both times on a Saturday. The first time I took it to the dealer, they claimed that they found the sticky remains of a spilled drink (we bought the car used), and charged me $100 to clean it. Three weeks later, when the exact same thing happened, they finally replaced the gear shift handle under warranty. But I'm still out the $100.

- , Albuquerque, NM, USA

Sep 022006

Grand Am SE1

Stayed up half the freaking night because I could not get my keys out of the ignition because I could not get the gear into park. I finally put it in neutral and put the emergency brake on and took the battery cable off and locked the car with my spare set of keys. Service department could not be reached until four days later because of the Labor Day weekend.

- , Washington, LA, USA