Accelerator Pedal Sticking Seal Of This Might Hurt

2004 Pontiac Grand Am fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Pontiac Grand Am:

2004 Pontiac Grand Am Owner Comments

Mar 192016

Grand Am V6

accelerator pedal no going back to idle

Doing errands the other day and I noticed that the brakes were getting less effective over time, increasing stopping distance and just feeling off. When I got home and tried to turn into my driveway, I pressed the brake all the way to the floor and still managed to coast past the turn, never even getting the car to a full stop. While crossing from the neighbor's driveway to mine and continuing down it, I had the brake to the floor the whole time, yet was still moving at idle speed. To my surprise, when I lifted my foot from the brake, the car sped up, a lot, and I came to the conclusion that my accelerator pedal was sticking, and had been steadily getting worse over the course of the drive. Pulling the emergency brake to park, I turned off the car and checked the pedal with my hand. The accelerator would depress an inch or so and stay, instead of springing back up. I do not know how to reproduce this, and it appears to be back to normal today from a physical standpoint, though I'm hesitant to drive it.

- , Oregon City, OR, USA