Front Hub Kits Causing A Loud Grinding/Roaring Sound

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

6.0

1. replacement (1 reports)
2004 Pontiac Grand Am wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Pontiac Grand Am:

2004 Pontiac Grand Am Owner Comments

Jul 252008

Grand Am SE 3.4L

OK, this is my first of many complaints on this car so be sure to check all my posts. This started out a few weeks prior to the repair. It began as a low hum, I didn't even notice it at first until a friend hopped in one day and pointed it out. IT continued to grow from a low hum to a very noticeable hum and then into almost a low grinding sound accompanied by a vibration on the floor. The weird thing was that it only was noticeable when going straight or turning left, on a right turn or curve it would cut out. I just thought it was a wheel bearing. I had some electrical work that needed to be done as well(see my other complaints) so I booked it in at the dealership. The replaced the left front wheel hub assembly at a cost of about $450. Things were good the first week but then I started hearing the low humming sound again. I though I was just hearing things at first, but after another several weeks it was back in full force. I took it back in to the dealership again and now they tell me the right hub assembly will need to be replaced. I've never owned a car that needed a hub assembly replacement, let alone 2 of them at under 100,000k. I'm getting a second opinion tomorrow.

- , Summerside, PE, Canada