NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2005 Pontiac Grand Am (Page 1 of 2)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Pretty Good

2005 Pontiac Grand Am electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Pontiac Grand Am:

2005 Pontiac Grand Am Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 012016

Grand Am

Will not turn over unless you leave the key on for 8 minutes-pass lock issue I am told and is quite prevalent.....why is there not a recall"??"

- Greensburg, KY, USA

Jan 062016

Grand Am

The contact owns a 2005 Pontiac Grand Am. Without warning, the turn signal and hazard lights failed to work. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and provided no permanent remedy. The approximate failure mileage was 200,000.

- Alto, MI, USA

Dec 312015

Grand Am

The contact owns a 2005 Pontiac Grand Am. The contact stated that while making a turn, the vehicle stalled. The contact stated that all warning indicators illuminated. Prior to the failure, the vehicle was repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system) however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed the lock ignition cylinder needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was not provided.

- Shelby, NC, USA

Oct 022015

Grand Am

The contact owns a 2005 Pontiac Grand Am. While driving approximately 10 mph, the vehicle stalled and crashed into a curb. A police report was not filed and there were no injuries reported. The vehicle was previously repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system) however, the failure recurred on numerous occasions. The contact stated that the vehicle was able to start after numerous attempts. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 105,000. Updated 02/26/16

- Scranton, PA, USA

Jun 182015

Grand Am

Car would not start and mechanic advised security system was not allowing ignition. Required a "security relearn procedure".

- Morton Grove, IL, USA

Jun 152010

Grand Am

The contact owns a 2005 Pontiac Grand Am. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start intermittently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The vehicle was serviced under NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was notified of failure. The failure mileage was 167,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Greenfield, IN, USA

May 282010

Grand Am 6-cyl

2005 Pontiac Grand Am. Consumer writes in regards to ignition switch recall repair work and consumer seeks reimbursement.

- Saint Paul, MN, USA

Nov 062014

Grand Am

The contact owns a 2005 Pontiac Grand Am. While driving approximately 20 mph, the vehicle shut off and caused the power steering and the power brakes to fail. As a result, the contact crashed into the guardrail and the air bags failed to deploy. There were no injuries and a police report was not filed. The contact received a notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 140,000.

- Grand Ledge, MI, USA

May 072013

Grand Am 6-cyl

The car always had starting problems I replaced the ignition sensor, and the starter. Sometimes it take 3 or 4 times to start the car.

- Pataskala, OH, USA

Sep 132014

Grand Am 4-cyl

2005 Pontiac Grand Am. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle not starting and shutting down. A local repair shop, replaced the crank sensor and ignition switch. A year later, the vehicle was towed to the repair shop, where the ignition control module was replaced. On March 7, 2014, the vehicle was towed to the shop again, where the ignition lock cylinder was replaced.

- Shepherdsville, KY, USA

Sep 012014

Grand Am

The contact owns a 2005 Pontiac Grand Am. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system); however, the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Arvada, CO, USA

Jan 022014

Grand Am

The ignition often slips into accessory mode and my car will be dead the next morning. Very annoying. The gear shift will also shift if you accidentally knock it while driving even without pressing the button.

- Great Bend, KS, USA

Mar 132013

Grand Am

I had several times I would be driving down the road and even the highway it has died on me. Luckily I was able to get the door locks come unlock that I knew the car died. When I am driving my flashers on my car continue to make a ticking noise. When I try to start the car sometimes I have to pump the gas and I had already had fuel pump replaced. When I start it I have to wait for a service engine soon before I can start it. Sometimes I be driving and my headlights will go dim and I turn it up as far and bright. It still don't work.

- Fort Dodge, IA, USA

Mar 012010

Grand Am 6-cyl

My car would not start. When this happened, had to turn key to acc and let it sit for 9 to 10 minutes. Flashing security light would go out and car would start. I called GM about 2 years ago and they knew about the problem and I was told there had not been enough complaints to do a recall. When you have a 89 year old mother in the car and it is 90 or 32 degrees it is a problem. I posted on their page about it and why GM is not a car to buy. They do not care about people! if you google it there are stories about it from others who have (had)the problem. You have to have another switch put in, which I did.

- Columbia, SC, USA

Mar 032013

Grand Am

Security system failure- according to a >120 page online forum, my car is experiencing a passlock failure. I turn the key in the ignition, nothing happens, the car does not start. Then, in the same day, I can try starting the car again, and it will start. The next day, same thing, turn the key in the ignition, nothing.

- Joliet, IL, USA

Jan 012011

Grand Am

My 2005 Pontiac Grand Am for over a year and a half now has failed to start every time. When the problem occurs I have to wait until my service engine soon light comes on, which sometimes is a few seconds or minutes. Aside from that I have had to replace my hazard switch twice now because my blinkers don't blink they stay solid. The car randomly shuts off while driving or stopped at a light, with no warning and can only notice because the doors automatically unlock. Recently the chiming noise when programming the clock sounds off multiple times after turning the car on and the doors began locking and unlocking themselves over and over for awhile. Now however the doors are permanently locked once the car hits the required safety speed and do not unlock when the car is shut off and key taken out of the ignition, so in order to get out of the vehicle the only way to unlock the doors is with the key fab because the interior automatic locks do not work nor the manual locks either. This car has had more electrical problems than any car I have heard of until researching the issues and realizing that these are common GM problems on certain models and manufactured years and GM refuses to issue a recall.

- Marcellus, NY, USA

Jul 012008

Grand Am 6-cyl

I purchased my 2005 Pontiac Grand Am SE used in may of 2008 with only 23,000 miles on it. The first issue began only about 2-3 months after the purchase. First the key would get stuck...a few weeks later, that was no longer a problem. Then the car had trouble starting. Very random, sometimes it would start after a few tries, sometimes it would start after 30 minutes. Then it got worse. The car would shut off as I was driving...no warning at all...just turned off as if I turned the key off. This also is extremely random..mechanics have checked my fuel pump pressure, cleaned the lines twice...I was told the pressure was right to specifications. It has been 3 years that I have the car..could not afford to take it to a GM dealer. I checked and cleaned the fuses related to the ignition..after I did that, for the first time in 3 years my car did not shut off. That lasted about 2 weeks, now it is starting all over again. I have gotten stuck on the highway in the middle of traffic, up on mountainous roads, at red lights, very dangerous. My car still has trouble starting at times and now it returned to the danger of the car shutting off. My electrical system sometimes goes crazy when the car shuts off..sometimes it does not. Sometimes the car shuts off when turning on my directional signal..sometimes it does not. Sometimes it shuts off at a stop sign..sometimes it shuts off driving 55 mph. If this were my fuel pump, it would have died years ago. This is GM's poor electrical systems proven to be a problem in the Grand Am and other models as well.

- Effort, PA, USA

Jun 152010

Grand Am 6-cyl

I own a 2005 Pontiac grand-am. The issue I've been having is that periodically the 'security' light will display. Shortly after (no specific or exact time elapse) the car will not start and the 'security' light on dash blinks. I wait 10 minutes (as suggested in owners manual), keeping the key in the 'on' position, then car will start up. I have had the car serviced (for this issue) in a GM dealership two times...they changed the starter and some other part (not the security control module) and this problem remains. Is there a definitive 'fix' for this problem. Tired of living with this. This issued has happened 7 times over the last year.

- Rome, NY, USA

Jan 202009

Grand Am

The contact owns a 2005 Pontiac Grand Am. While driving approximately 50 mph, the security system warning indicator began to illuminate sporadically. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the security code was reset. The failure recurred nine months following the repair. The contact was able to correct the failure temporarily. A permanent repair was not performed on the vehicle. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Orange, TX, USA

May 122010

Grand Am

"security" warning light suddenly appeared while I was driving. This appears to be a passlock issue. I've also been told this is a common problem that has not been dealt with a recall.

- Albany, NY, USA