NHTSA — Engine Problems

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix (Page 1 of 3)

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix:

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jan 242016

Grand Prix

The contact owned a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix. While driving 25 mph, flames emitted from the front end of the vehicle. The vehicle caught fire without warning. The fire department extinguished the fire. A police report was not filed and there were no injuries. The vehicle was towed and deemed destroyed. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 09V116000 (engine and engine cooling) after the failure occurred. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 189,000.

- Chapmanville, WV, USA

Oct 052016

Grand Prix

The contact owns a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V701000 (engine and engine cooling). The part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Silver Spring, MA, USA

Oct 042016

Grand Prix

Burnt valve it only runs on 5 cylinders instead of 6 the repair is 3,200 quoted by mechanic.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Mar 232008

Grand Prix

My vehicle caught on fire while in motion. This happened during a trip to nuevo Laredo, tamaulipas Mexico. It was reported to GM in detail and extensively, a copy of the title, an affidavit and the invoice where the remaining were sold to a junk yard were all mailed to an address provided. I never received a response from GM. Every phone number that has been provided to me leads nowhere. I emailed Mr. Jeffrey M boyer vice president of global vehicle safety at GM this afternoon with cc to Mr. Anthony foxx the secretary of the department of transportation. See the attached notice. Date that I am providing is estimated since it happened a long time ago and I don't have my notes with me.

- Laredo, TX, USA

Aug 192016

Grand Prix

The contact owns a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V701000 (engine and engine cooling). The part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Springfield, MO, USA

Jul 302016

Grand Prix

I was driving on the expressway and as I was exiting I noticed smoke coming from under the hood. As I pulled over to a side street the power steering went out, battery light and check oil lights went on and the car completely died. When I looked under the hood there was a fire. I have not had any problems with the vehicle prior but did take the car in a few months ago for GM recall 15757.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Feb 072015

Grand Prix

Our car burned up almost completely, starting in the engine area. The fire appeared after driving and parking the car. Policemen and firemen came to extinguish and said car was so destroyed any further investigation would be possible. We have photos of the car and other witnesses. After we had it towed and crushed, GM recall 15757 came out. However they are not applying this recall to our car. Do we have any rights?

- Farmington, MN, USA

Dec 012015

Grand Prix

The contact owns a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V701000 (engine and engine cooling); however, the part to do the repair was not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Spencer, WV, USA

Apr 212016

Grand Prix

I started smelling a strong gasoline smell - so opened the hood to check what was the cause. I took off the engine cover and discovered that the 3/8" quick connector at fuel rail was dripping fuel all over the intake manifold. Yikes!!! the potential for a fire is/was huge. I do not know how long this has been happening.

- Gaithersburg, MD, USA

Apr 092016

Grand Prix

I recently received a recall notice from GM, recall# 15757, first week of March 2016 regarding the engine's front valve cover and gasket to be replaced with new parts due to drops of engine oil that may deposit on the exhaust manifold which could cause an engine fire. I called dealership and was told parts were still not available and I was placed on a waiting list. On April 9, 2016, my car started on fire due to oil leak. The car was parked for 5 minutes before smoke and fire started to come from under the hood. The fire dept. Did come out and put the fire out, however, the entire engine compartment is totaled. I contacted the dealership on April 11th, in which the dealership still did not have the recall parts available. I was given general motor's phone#, contacted them and explained the situation, in which we were told that someone would come out in 48 hrs to assess damage. However, on April 13th, I received a phone call from an advisor stating that further information is needed from me. No one has come out to assess damage as originally stated, as well, I had to email several pictures and paperwork that was requested. When I attempt to contact the advisor through email or phone, she does not respond to any of my inquiries. I explained we are in need of a rental since I'm out a vehicle, however, I was told that is not their concern, as well, it could take 20-30 business days to determine anything. I'm not sure if I should entrust GM to take care of this situation or get legal advice. I also have pictures available from my phone, however, the form would not allow me to upload due to the size.

- Greenfield, WI, USA

Feb 012016

Grand Prix

The contact owns a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V701000 (engine); however, the part for the recall repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Torrence, CA, USA

Apr 122016

Grand Prix

We received a GM recall notice #15757 in December 2015 and again in February 2016, we contacted the local dublin ca dealer in mid March and was told parts are on back order and we would get a call when it. Today on April 12 I called again and "there's a part problem" and the parts are still on the way. I find this hard put to believe since the original December recall notice. Are we getting the stall around?

- Pleasaqnton, CA, USA

Feb 082016

Grand Prix

The contact owns a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 15V7001000 (engine and engine cooling). The part needed was unavailable to perform the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- New Albany, IN, USA

Feb 202016

Grand Prix

The contact owns a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix. The contact stated that while parked, a strong odor of burning oil was noticed and fumes of smoke were seen coming from under the hood. The contact further observed the vehicle by looking into the engine and noticed excessive oil. The contact received a notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V701000 (engine and engine cooling) however, the parts for the recall were not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer had exceeded a reasonable time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 150,000. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Beech Island, SC, USA

Oct 242014

Grand Prix

The contact owned a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix. The contact stated that it was informed that there was smoke coming from the vehicle. The hood of the vehicle was opened and there were flames. The infant occupant was removed from the vehicle and the fire department was altered. The fire department extinguished the fire. The vehicle was towed to a impound lot where it was deemed destroyed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The medical attention was required for the infant occupant. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign number: 15V701000 (engine and engine cooling). The failure mileage was not available.

- Warren, OH, USA

Aug 232015

Grand Prix

The contact owned a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix. After the vehicle was parked, the contact was informed that the vehicle was on fire. The contact extinguished the fire. A police report was filed and no injuries were reported. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The vehicle was destroyed. The contact later received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V701000 (engine and engine cooling). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 170,000.

- Jay, ME, USA

Feb 232016

Grand Prix

The contact owns a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix. When starting the vehicle, the check engine light illuminated and the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The dealer stated that nothing could be done to assist. The contact found that the vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V701000 (engine and engine cooling). The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 144,000.

- Evansville, WI, USA

Dec 052013

Grand Prix

The contact owned a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix. While parked, the vehicle suddenly caught fire under the hood. The fire department extinguished the fire. A police report was not filed. The vehicle was destroyed and towed to a salvage yard. There were no injuries. The contact stated that the fire damaged nearby vehicles. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V701000 (engine and engine cooling), which stated that the consequence related to this recall could result in a fire. The contact stated that the failure experienced directly related to the recall. The vehicle did not receive the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 152,000.

- Marlboro, MA, USA

Feb 152016

Grand Prix

Got in car and turned ignition key. Heard a loud kaboom and smoke started pouring out from under the hood. No warning lights activated. Flames shooting out from under hood. Vehicle was stationary. Sitting in my car port.. fire company called. Fire extinguished. Engine blown up.

- Hyndman, PA, USA

Jan 272016

Grand Prix

The contact owns a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix. The contact stated that there was a burning odor under the hood of the vehicle. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V701000 (engine and engine cooling); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- North Providence, RI, USA