NHTSA — Steering Problems

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix:

2002 Pontiac Grand Prix Owner Comments

Jun 162015

Grand Prix

Car intermittently stalls from slow speeds (<30 mph) or after starting from a complete stop. Complete and almost immediate loss of motor and power steering making it difficult, if not impossible, to steer. Will sometimes not stay running right after starting. Might take two or three attempts to get vehicle to start. Crank sensor replaced, mass airflow sensor cleaned. No codes or check engine light so no good way to troubleshoot. This is extremely dangerous as it can stall at any time without warning. Will usually start again within a minute but then will stall out again at any moment without warning.

- Royalton, MN, USA

May 142003

Grand Prix 4-cyl

I bought this car used and the warranty had run out and the ignition froze up so I could not get the key out this one day.I played with the key and tried to move the shift lever and it was frozen along with the steering wheel. I left the car alone for about an hour came out and the key came out and everything worked good. Over the years this happened alot and finally I got on the internet and one guy said there is a hole by the ignition switch that you can put a pencil in very carefully and if you move it around it will release the tumbler and key. I did that and put a pencil in there and broke it off and it has worked every time but the steering wheel don't lock and you can take the key out while driving or any time. I talked to GM dealers over the years and they wanted too much money to put a new ignition switch in$500-to $600. I could not afford it. There are hundreds of Grand Prix Pontiac like my year and make on the internet that complained about the same problem. Now this recall conveniently misses the 2002 Grand Prix Pontiac. I'm just lucky I did not have a problem while driving and I don't know if my air bags work or not.

- Eden Prarie, MN, USA

Jan 302014

Grand Prix

I purchased this vehicle from a lady she was selling it. A couple weeks later I started having problems with the ignition. When I try to turn my car off by turning the key backwards it gets stuck and I have to sit there andand constantly jiggle the key until I'm able to get it to release. This happens about once a week but sometimes twice a day there is even times I can't get the key out so I'm forced to leave it like that requiring a jump the next day. I just want to know if my car is on the recall list for the faulty ignition switch.

- Holt, MI, USA

Mar 172009

Grand Prix

Can not start up again after shut down have to wait till cars cools down.

- Pottsville, PA, USA

Nov 012009

Grand Prix

The steering on my 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix failed.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Aug 152007

Grand Prix

For the past two years I have noticed my car steering to the right side from time to time and I was not sure what that could be. It is random. It felt like it was to the right and I could not control it.

- Benton Harbor, MI, USA

Sep 012008

Grand Prix

I would like to complain about the gear shift assembly in my 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix. For the past six months, I have experienced situations where I cannot get the key out of the ignition once I have put the car in park and turned off the engine. This is a dangerous situation because I can envision one day not being able to get the key out at all. The GM dealer says that the computer is not recognizing that the car is in park. What is the computer shifts gears while I am driving" could this be a computer glitch or defect. I have never had this happen before on any car I have owned. GM says the gear assembly needs to be replaced. Has there been a recall on this gear assembly or other substantial complaints on the gear shift in these cars" the problem is on-going.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Oct 202004

Grand Prix 8-cyl

While driving and making a left turn the vehicle lost steering. It was difficult to make left turn. Took the vehicle to dealer for repairs.

- Waterville, OH, USA