NHTSA — Power Train Problems

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix (Page 2 of 2)

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix:

2005 Pontiac Grand Prix Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jan 232012

Grand Prix 6-cyl

On 1/23/12, while backing out of a parking space on a level lot, my 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix lunged forward. I immediately hit the brake. The car was in reverse not drive! I attempted to back out again and the same thing happened! the second time it lunged forward so quickly I was afraid the car would not stop, even with the brake fully applied. This second lunging incident damaged/cracked the air dam, as it was now wedged against the concrete parking space divider. At the same moment, the dashboard flashed/lit up like a christmas tree....and the engine stalled. I put the car in park and turned the ignition off..then got out to inspect the damage. Upon re-entering the car, it would not start! it finally restarted on the third attempt and I was finally able to back out of the parking space.

- Spartanburg, SC, USA

Sep 302011

Grand Prix 8-cyl

I have a 2005 Grand Prix gxp in which the transmission has failed. I took the vehicle in for service last year because it would hesitate from a stop and slam violently into first gear. At the time the dealer could not reproduce the concern and told me to bring it back when it got worse. My extended warranty that I purchased separately from gmpp expired on the 22nd of September. This is a dangerous flaw when you are unable to accelerate when pulling into traffic, especially on the gxp model which has over 300 horsepower and torque steer that is hard to control when it finally shifts into gear.

- Westland, MI, USA