NHTSA — Exterior Lighting Problems

2007 Pontiac Grand Prix (Page 4 of 4)

2007 Pontiac Grand Prix lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Pontiac Grand Prix:

2007 Pontiac Grand Prix Owner Comments (Page 4 of 4)

Jun 272011

Grand Prix

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac Grand Prix. The contact stated that when driving at various speeds, the low beam headlights would fail sporadically. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where they advised him that they were unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was approximately 80,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Oct 152011

Grand Prix 6-cyl

I was driving down the road on a Saturday night when all of a sudden the road became dark. I got out to see if my headlights were on and they weren't. so I got back in the car and began to change the headlight switch from automatic to on. Nothing. Then I went from low beam to high and again nothing. They I had my fuse box changed as well as the ground wire. Nothing. I began to research only to find out alot of people have started to have this problem starting August 2010 until present (10/2011).

- Houston, TX, USA

Aug 242011

Grand Prix

While driving at night, the low beams on my car suddenly failed, and I could not get them to go back on. Fortunately, the high beams still worked. Subsequently, the same thing happened with my day running lights which are tied in with the low beams. I took the car to the local Pontiac dealership and it was unsuccessful in duplicating the problem. I therefore decided to google the issue to determine if there were others who shared the same problem with the same make, model, and year as I owned. Lo & behold, there were not a few who also experienced low-beam headlight failure. I also noted that this problem was not specific to just 2007 model year Pontiac Grand Prix, but also other model year Grand Prix, and even some Buick models). Some posters had suggested that the issue was with a relay, GM part # 15016745, and once they replaced this part, they never had the problem reoccur. Since I was hesitant to purchase a part of which I had no guarantee that it would work, I went to the web site justanswers.com, and paid a GM expert $35 in hopes that he could he could find resolution. He indicated that the low beam failure with my car was common, and he, too, recommended GM part # 15016745, which is located in the under-hood fuse block. I purchased the relay which I found on gmparts.com, and received it yesterday. I have, yet, to install it, and I'm hoping that that is the problem. It is frightening to have your headlights fail while driving at night. I am writing you so that you might investigate this issue, and abate any potential accidents. No one really knows if there have already been any deaths resulting from this serious issue. Thank you.

- Syracuse, NY, USA

Sep 242011

Grand Prix

Driving home at night when all of a sudden both headlights went out at the same time. All of the other lights are working. Had to put on the high beams just to get home. Next morning changes both bulbs checked fuses. Nothing. Went on line to find any suggestions and to my surprise I see this is a frequent problem. Many folks have tried many dfferent fixes but I have not found one link that gave a solution. I did see several blogs that stated there were issues with the keyless remote just prior to the failure. I have had some issues with my keyless I have to hit it several times to unlock or lock the doors. I have a very limit income and cannot go around having things replaced with no fix. This is my second Grand Prix, my first I had no problems ever. I loved both cars as they are safe and always dependable. I do have to say this issue now has me very upset as there is no resolution to this issue. I need some sort of assistance on this. As it is such a frequent issue Pontiac should be looking inot a resolution or least offer some assitance so people do not have to spend alot of money guessing on what the problem is and not have a fix. This is crazy.

- Las Vegas , NV, USA

Sep 102011

Grand Prix

Traveling and about to merge onto the interstate (speed of 75 mph) turned left turn signal to begin merge and all exterior head lights went black, no low beams nor high beams nor even parking lights existed! rotated through lighting switch options repeatedly in hope of regaining sight - nothing. Pulled off to shoulder and parked car. Thankfully noone was behind me! hazards worked, all other outer lights worked, all interior lights worked. Checked both fuse boxes - nothing blown. After 20 minutes low beams on manual setting came on - no other option available. Very cautiously drove the remaining 90 minutes to home. Had car checked at dealership, unable to duplicate problem. Unable to diagnose problem. This has been occurring at random. Very scared! still unable to get a diagnosed problem. Hundreds spent on trouble shooting problem without resolution. This is not a safe vehicle - and was purchased outright as a family vehicle with less than 30,000 miles on it! mad!!

- Low Moor, IA, USA

Aug 172011

Grand Prix 6-cyl

Headlights low beam randomly turn off during night driving. When using turn signal the headlight high beam turns-on and cannot be turned off with switch, the only way to turn-off high beam is to press forward on turn signal.

- Texas, TX, USA

Jul 152011

Grand Prix

The low beam headlamps randomly turn off while driving. We have tried using the auto setting, and the "on" setting and it happens either way. The lamps are fine, the fuses are fine, the wiring is fine. We are unable to locate the problem. This makes the car nearly impossible to drive at night. It is very dangerous to be doing 55 mph and have this happen.

- Kewanee, IL, USA

Feb 042011

Grand Prix

The contact owns a 2007 Pontiac Grand Prix. The contact stated that the headlights would stop illuminating on an intermittent basis. In order to maintain operation of the headlights at night, the contact would turn on the high beams. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where they were unable to diagnose the failure. Various fuses and the wiring harness were replaced, but the failure continued. The failure mileage was 100,000 and the current mileage was 102,894. The VIN was unavailable.

- Wewoka, OK, USA

Nov 102010

Grand Prix

Low beams work intermitently. High beam work fine but unable to drive car at night due to unpredictability of low beams.

- Orlando, FM, USA

Jul 022011

Grand Prix 6-cyl

I have a 2007 Pontiac Grand Prix. No specific event leading to headlights low beam failure. I was however unable to drive the vehicle as it was dark and now currently unable to go anywhere except under certain conditions and circumstance. Vehicle low beams will not turn on automatically or manually. All bulbs and fuses are good. Headlights used to work automatically when vehicle was turned into the on position, but now only all other lights work including dash, high beams, and parking lamps. Currently I am unable to drive in the dark. I am also afraid to drive the vehicle in fear of poor weather. It is summer currently and now fear rain and in the future months snowstorms with no headlights. Also, with a season change always impending it will be darker sooner and longer. This is a safety issue!!! upon research of this malfunction I see that it is quite common and that the malfunction can happen while driving! this is unacceptable! I am unable to locate a recall. I feel unsafe for me and my child in the car. This is a new purchase to me and I have only had the vehicle for 45 days. I have literally only driven it 215 miles since owning it. Low beams automatically came on with ignition in "on" position up until a few days ago. I now cannot even turn them on manually. I have had the vehicle looked at, however, due to possible cost nothing has been done to repair the vehicle at this time. I was told it may be a problem with the "switch". being unfamiliar with cars I am not aware what this is or what it entails. I feel this vehicle is unsafe on the road unless it is a bright sunny day with no darkness or precipitation in sight. I'm very disappointed. Thank you for your time.

- Garfield Heights, OH, USA

Jun 102011

Grand Prix

Low beam lights work when they want to work. I got both changed even though I didn't need to and had the guy at O'reilly's check the fuses and nothing he could see was wrong. He recommended checking to see if there was a recall and unfortunately there is not. Surprisingly because I am not the only one on this site to complain of the same problem. I can't drive in the dark with my high beams all the time, what to do"!"

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

May 202011

Grand Prix

2007 Grand Prix low beams not working.

- Morgan City, LA, USA

Nov 062010

Grand Prix 6-cyl

When I am driving my lights go off outside my car. It happen often then it gets better for a while then it happens again I have ask other owners of this same car and they have the same problem.

- Mcallen , TX, USA

Aug 012010

Grand Prix

2007 Pontiac Grand Prix. Low beam headlights go out intermittently while driving at night. High beams work fine. Low beam lamps/connections are fine. Can't seem to initiate the problem in the repair shop but problem continues to happen randomly at some of the worse possible times. Dark nights, curvy, narrow roads. No one can tell me what to do to fix this without complete rebuild of electrical system for several $$$$. GM needs to do a recall and fix!

- Kingsport , TN, USA

May 102009

Grand Prix

I have a 2007 Grand Prix and I have trouble with the headlights going off while I'm driving. This happens at night and possibly during the day which I'm unaware of. I've had this back to the dealership 3-4 times and they can't find the problem. Now I'm getting afraid to drive at night for fear of an accident. The last time it happened I was on the interstate with no lights anywhere. I put on the high beams and was scared they would also go out. This was a frightening experience and friends don"T want to ride with me.

- Fayetteville,, OH, USA