NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2007 Saturn Ion (Page 5 of 7)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: With the 2007 model year we finally get to bid adieu to a car famous for poor safety marks, a dangerously defective ignition and power steering that would work … sometimes.

2007 Saturn Ion electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Saturn Ion:

2007 Saturn Ion Owner Comments (Page 5 of 7)

Jun 252013

Ion 4-cyl

Early in 2013, we noted some moisture in the trunk of this vehicle. In late may, we hung a "damp rid" desiccant device in the trunk and noted that the "damp rid" device rapidly saturated with moisture and also formed clumps and/or crystals in the trunk of the auto. (the "damp rid" in the trunk was saturated within two weeks, whereas it takes a couple of months when hanging inside a closet in the house 1-888-326-7743). This week, I inserted a brand new 9 volt battery into a kidde model number kn-coeg-3 carbon monoxide/explosive gas monitor and placed the monitor in the trunk. Within 24 hours, the monitor was chirping. The peak level of gas after 24 hours in the trunk of the car was 10. (this household monitor can not discriminate the precise type of gas in this particular case). Today, I opened the trunk and cleaned everything out. The source of the moisture was clearly noted on the passenger side inside of the trunk because the interior of the trunk was actually muddy close to a one way flapper vent/valve on the passenger side. The one way valve measures around 4 inches high and 6 inches long. I am reporting this because of the proximity to the gas tank filler cap on the passenger side, 12 volt ac delco battery on the passenger side in the trunk, and auto emissions from this Saturn and other cars. Inhalation of any or all of these fumes or vapors can lead to health problems including erratic behavior, drowsiness, etc. Of course the risk of explosion and corrosion of sensitive electrical and fuel components is accelerated in damp conditions.

- Leland, NC, USA

Jun 252013

Ion

The manufacturer key wont start the car without spending over 10 min. Turning the wheel back and forth and finding just the right "spot". key will come out fine, even without shutting car completely off at times. This is insane, from what I've read, there are more than enough complaints similar to this to warrant an investigation or recall. This is not only a safety feature, its just shows horrible workmanship. Already been a part of the original power steering recall before it became a recall. People need to complain, keep complaining and demand GM to take responsibility for this crap.

- Crawfordville, FL, USA

Jun 192013

Ion

Had been having trouble with the key sticking and the car not turning off for a week. Today after parking I could not turn the car off at all, the key was stuck tight. I called my husband drove the car home, he couldn't turn the car off and he's a car and airplane mechanic. Finally got a hold of dealership where the service manager felt sorry for me and told me to bring the car in immediately, he could not turn the car off. They eventually were able to turn the car off, but the replacement tumbler and keys will cost me $230 because-of course-my warranty ran out. I think that GM should be responsible for the repair costs because it is a design flaw with potential serious consequences and safety issues including but not limited to someone leaving a running car in a closed garage because unlike me, they could not find a knight in shining armor or alternatively battery removal could damage the computer systems or a spark caused by uneducated removal of the battery could cause a battery explosion or electrical fire. The Saturn is not the only GM product with this problem and a brief search on google, showed that many owners are paying a wide range of repair bills for this problem.

- Sharon Hill, PA, USA

Jun 262011

Ion 4-cyl

My wife left work and stopped by the store on the way home, but could not shut the car off. She drove home where the car continue to run until I disconnected the battery cable to finally disable the vehicle. I had the car towed to the dealer. The key could not be removed from the ignition switch. The ignition switch cylinder was replaced, new key coded at a cost of $396.17. Saturn customer service stated that they have had no complaints of such a nature, I have done online searches and have found thousands of the same problems. The issue continues to this day along with the seals around the doors and windows leaking. This automotive company was bailed out by the government with our tax money, only to lie to the american car buyers who purchased their flawed products. If the NHTSA does not designate this as a recall status, then it is time for us Saturn owners who were sold these flawed vehicles to unite and file a major class action suit for more money than General Motors received in the bailout of the automotive industry.

- Macon, GA, USA

Mar 012013

Ion 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. The contact stated that the ignition failed and the key could not be released from the ignition. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who replaced the ignition cylinder and adjusted the gear shifter however, the failure was not corrected. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 55,000 and the current mileage is 59,000. Updated 7/15/13

- Yucca Valley , CA, USA

May 312009

Ion 4-cyl

I was unable to remove the key from the ignition switch to turn the car off. I had noted in the months leading up to this first occurrence that I was able to turn the car off, removing the key from the ignition switch, without putting the car in park first. I contacted Saturn's 800# for assistance and they had me remove a fuse from the engine to turn the car off. The car was towed to a Saturn dealership the next day, June 1st, where they had to completely replace the ignition cylinder as the key could not be removed. Then, in March 2011, I found the key had a tendency to get stuck in the ignition until, once again, I could no longer remove the key or turn the car off. Recalling removal of a fuse after the first instance, I did so again in this case until I could get it to a garage for repair. I contacted Saturn's 800# to advise them as to what had again happened, inquiring if there had been any sort of a recall. I was advised there was not. I took the car to my own garage for repair and they had to completely replace the ignition cylinder & switch. However, they were able to dislodge the key this time. The vehicle mileage at the time of repair was 120462. Now, in March 2013, I am once again finding the key having a tendency to stick. I can get the car to turn off, but the locking mechanism will not disengage the door locks. Unless the door locks disengage, I cannot get the key out of the ignition. On occasion, I've been having to restart the car multiple times before the locking mechanism will disengage the door locks allowing me to remove the key. My current mileage is approximately 165,000.

- Clayton, NC, USA

Oct 112012

Ion

We bought a 2007 Saturn Ion for my daughter's first car about a year and a half ago. Several months ago she was coming home from school traveling down interstate 5 going about 65 miles an hour when all of a sudden her power steering shut off and jerked, causing her to almost hit the car in the next lane. Now every time she drives her car, about 12 or so minutes in, the power steering will shut off again. If you shut the car off and restart it, it's fine for a while, until it shuts off again. It does this every time she drives, without fail. She's scared to drive her car long distances, fearing that it will turn off again and cause an accident. Upon researching I discovered many other complaints describing exactly the same results with 2007 Saturn Ions. I'm afraid that, being a new driver, my daughter's safety, and the safety of others, is in jeopardy.

- Stockton, CA, USA

Oct 022012

Ion 4-cyl

The key to this vehicle is stuck in the ignition and will not turn off. This vehicle had this ignition replaced due to a similar issue in 2010 by a GM dealer in ourisman Chevrolet Buick (703) 329-1300 1800 old richmond highway, alexandria, va 22303-1856. The original part became defected for the same issue and I had to pay over $700 to have the part replaced. Now, the same issue has occurred. The key is stuck in the ignition and unable to turn off the car. I contacted General Motors (Saturn) at 1-800-553-6600 to report the problem and they are aware this has been happening. However, the is no recall to correct this measure. To turn the car off you have to disconnect the wires or replace the part for another $900. If GM (Saturn) is aware of the problem a recall should be posted to all owners of the Saturn Ion and reimbursement should be provided for owners who had paid to have the part replaced.

- Greenbelt, MD, USA

Sep 202010

Ion

While trying to switch ignition to off, the ignition switch would get stuck at power on position. Part was replaced by mechanic, saying "this part always fails in GM vehicles after 5 years". the new part started to get stuck at the same position a year later and it takes multiple tries to get it shut off completely.

- Hopkins, MN, USA

Sep 302012

Ion

The key would get stuck in the ignition not allowing me to get out of the vehicle unless I manually unlocked the doors. This was happening for about a year or more intermittently. Then one day I could not get the car to turn off because the key would not turn. After about a 5-10 second time frame, the ignition would unlock allowing me to turn the car off and remove the key. This occurred intermittently for a couple of days then when I was on vacation, the key would not come out at all while the car was still running. I was left with having to temporarily unplug the battery and the fuse so the car would turn off. The mechanic I took the car to while on vacation showed me how to do this and was able to get the key out of the ignition. I had the car towed to a mechanic once I arrived home because the car would not start at all at this point, the mechanic informed me the ignition lock was bad, and apparently GM had been aware of the problem and offered no recall but did re-design the internal components of the ignition lock.

- Galt, CA, USA

Jul 232012

Ion

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. While parked, the key failed to release from the ignition switch after several attempts. The vehicle was diagnosed by a certified mechanic who stated that the ignition switch would need to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 86,000.

- Decatur, GA, USA

May 302012

Ion 4-cyl

Power steering failure - clicking from around the steering column followed by immediate loss of power steering assist and 3 beeps from the info center. Message "pwr str" displayed in info window.

- Fenton, MI, USA

Jan 022012

Ion 4-cyl

After I park my 2007 Saturn Ion the ignition remains locked, it doesn't let me take out my key after the vehicle is off. I have to restart my car then turn it off again and wait about 2-5 minutes for my key to release.

- Fort Bragg, NC, USA

Nov 172011

Ion 4-cyl

I was on my honeymoon in orlando, fl. On Nov. 17th, 2011 when it went out the first time. I discovered that when I turned the vehicle off and started it again, that the power steering would return to proper operation. Since that day, it has been intermittent. No typical timing or environmental situation, just randomly stop working. It did that for several months until 3 weeks ago when it would shut off 5 minutes after starting the vehicle every time. Now, it does nothing, it never comes on. I checked both fuses and being in the vehicle industry myself, I know that a fuse, relay, or circuit breaker just dies. I feel that if it were the fuse, it would not only work sometimes but it would not work at all. I am expecting the manufacturer to replace this. As this is my 3rd Saturn and I had well over 200K on the other 2 with no problems at all.

- Savannah, GA, USA

Feb 162012

Ion

Turn the key but car wont turn over or even try to turn over the flashers will flash and the words coolant, trunk, track, ect flashes in the mileage box. 10+ minutes later the mileage pops up and a ding sound is heard.. I turn the key back to the off position for 20+ seconds and then the car will start sometimes. Its a huge issue and I feel as if there should be a recall or I get it replaced for free since I didn't cause the issue and it has happen to many Saturn owners! I have no money to fix it. Im still paying payments on the car. The check engine light finally came on so I coded it and it says ignition switch and that's what the dealer told me before I coded it. They told me it would cost me 80$ for the part 150$ to program the part and 150+$ for labor. Its very unsafe for me. If there's an emergency I wouldn't even be able to start my vehicle!

- Bay Point, CA, USA

Mar 012012

Ion 4-cyl

First off the car started sputtering, when stopped to fill with gas wont restart for several minutes, has just died in the middle of traffic for no reason. Main concern now is the constant loss of power steering, first happened to my wife on the interstate with our 2 young grandchildren at 65 to 70 miles an hour, it just quit working scared the crap out of her she has 3 heart attacks already and am very surprised it didn't happen then!!! it has been getting more and more constant as of late, every 10 to 15 minutes if your lucky sometimes a lot quicker, you have to turn the car off then it woks however many minutes then makes a clicking noise then the alarm chimes and boom no steering again. The Chevy cobalt (same steering unit and Pontiac G6) have had recalls for this exact problem so why hasn't GM stepped up to the plate and fixed these crappy Ion 3's.

- Mt. Clare, WV, USA

Jan 032012

Ion

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. The contact stated that the vehicle could not be started. The contact mentioned that the failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the pass lock system was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 70,000 and the current mileage was 73,000.

- Lancaster , NY, USA

Dec 122011

Ion 4-cyl

The electric steering keeps going out and took it to an authorized Saturn dealer and they said that the would have to check it to see why its going out as there has been recalled on the electric steering in the Pontiac G6 which has the same problem and carries the same system and the dealer told me if its not the motor I have to pay $97.50 for them to find out its not the motor in the steering plus what it cost to fix it there has been problems with the electric steering there should be a full recall on all the one that uses the same part with the ones that have been recalled all ready this is a big safety issue and GM should pay to correct the problem not charge a customer to check what's wrong with it as there is still some warranty on the car this problem needs fixed and I don't have the money to pay out the car only has 55,600 miles on it shouldn't be having problems like this hope you can help with this issue and get GM to do a recall on this for theses cars power steering failure like that makes the car hard to steer.

- Greenwood , IN, USA

Jan 072012

Ion 4-cyl

The car made a loud noise when I pressed on the gas. It would not accelerate fast enough for the highway and the speedometer was not working. I'm guessing the car could go at max, 20mph. The speedometer remained on 0 while the acceleration had to go up to 3 or 4 just to keep the car moving. The check engine light was on. I took the car to GM dealership/certified Saturn service right then, and they charged me $360 to replace the transmission control module. The service guy told me that when mechanics first did the electrical diagnostic check, the car failed 32 markers, but when they did an electrical diagnostic check after replacing the transmission control module, the results confirmed that all the car's problems have been fixed.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Dec 052011

Ion

The contact owns a 2007 Saturn Ion. While parked, the contact attempted to turn the vehicle off numerous times but the key could not be turned nor released from the ignition switch. The battery was disconnected in order for the engine to shut off but the key remained in the ignition switch. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who informed the contact that the ignition system would need to be replaced. The vehicle was in the process of being repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- Cherryville, NC, USA