2002 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Toyota Camry:

2002 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 3 of 12)

Oct 072010

Camry

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that the driver started the vehicle and shifted into reverse, when it suddenly accelerated forward to 65 mph. The vehicle crashed into a garage and hit another vehicle, pushing the vehicle two feet. The driver turned off the vehicle and got out. The right front tire on the contact's vehicle melted because of the heat accumulated because of the acceleration. There were no injuries. A police report was filed. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer had not been notified. The VIN was unavailable. The current and failure mileages were approximately 90,000.

- Ocean Pines, MD, USA

Apr 092009

Camry

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Camry. The contact was driving approximately 20 mph approaching an intersection to make a left turn. When the brake was applied there was an unintended acceleration and caused the vehicle to crash into the proceeding vehicle. There were no personal injuries. A police report was filed of the incident. The contact was able to drive the vehicle from the scene. The failure mileage was approximately 42,000.

- Concord, NC, USA

Nov 212009

Camry

1. events leading to failure: On 11/21/09. At about 10:45 pm, the accelerator on my 2002 Toyota Camry xle jammed open. 2. consequences: I tried to stop the car by stepping very hard on the brake pedal, but the car kept accelerating. As a result, the car hit a tree head-on. My wife and I both suffered bodily injuries. 3. what was done to correct the failure: I wrote three letters to Toyota, and I received replies to each one. Toyota sent an investigator to examine my car. Toyota's legal department concluded that there was nothing wrong with my car that could hsve caused the sudden acceleration. However, they would not release to me the data that they obtained, from downloading the data from the car's main computer.

- Beachwood, OH, USA

Jul 112010

Camry 4-cyl

2002 Toyota Camry. Consumer states problem with brakes the consumer stated when he applied the brakes to slow down, there was no brake response and the vehicle continued to accelerate. Consequently, the consumer rear ended another vehicle. The consumer and his wife suffered minor injuries.

- Scarsdale, NY, USA

Apr 092009

Camry

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Camry. After starting the vehicle the contact shifted into drive gear and noticed the vehicle would not accelerate unless the pedal was depressed more than 3/4 of the way down. The vehicle was taken to the dealership where the contact was informed a computer chip was malfunctioning. The vehicle was not repaired. There were no prior warnings. The failure mileage was 31000 and the current mileage was 32000.

- Forest Hills, NY, USA

Aug 202010

Camry

We were riding on a cobble stone street going very slow in a tourist area of savannah, ga. Our 2002 Toyota Camry, suddenly accelerated out of control. With the brake fully engaged we skidded down the street in shock. It lasted about 4 to 5 seconds and thankfully there were no people or other cars in the way. I estimate we went about 50 yards. It stopped as suddenly as it started. We then called the police to report what happened as we were very shook up. We reported this to the Toyota dealer we bought the car from. They had it towed to their dealership. Then they said they could not find anything wrong with the car and they would call Toyota for further direction. I am waiting for them to call me back.

- Savannah, GA, USA

Aug 152010

Camry

Stopped in line at fast food drive-up. Placed vehicle in park. Placed vehicle in drive to move forward and the vehicle quickly accelerated. Stepped on brake pedal and the vehicle would not stop. Vehicle stopped after slamming into vehicle in front. Will be going by the Toyota dealership in the morning to report what happened.

- Nederland, TX, USA

Aug 022010

Camry

One of two electronic accelerator position sensors malfunctioned on my 2002 Toyota Camry. I experienced a sluggish response to pedal action (I.e. I had to push the pedal farther than normal to gain any acceleration - check engine light was also illuminated). I immediately drove to my mechanic's shop for evaluation and repair. After running diagnostics, he determined that the sensor had malfunctioned and advised me not to drive the car any further until it was repaired. As I understand it, from my mechanic's explanation, the sensor determines the position of the accelerator and sends a request for acceleration as a voltage ranging from 0-5V, where 0V is no acceleration and 5V is full-throttle. Through further testing, he determined that the sensor that had malfunctioned was reading 5V. I find it very concerning that in the event of failure the sensor does not "fail safe" (I.e. fail to 0V, rather than 5V). The technician explained that the second sensor was there as a safety redundancy, but either way, "fail safe" is one of the most basic design concepts in an application where safety is critical as is the case here. In my conversation with Toyota, they would not stand behind the part (my warranty had expired and it was not on recall), nor could they give me any assurance that the replacement part had been redesigned in such a way that it would "fail safe." I am a wife, mother of two small children, and the primary income generator for our family. I do not feel good about what I now know about the safety of my car and do not feel that Toyota took my concerns to heart. I would appreciate anything you could do to help. I suspect I may not be the only one to experience this safety failure.

- Prairie Du Chien, WI, USA

Jul 192010

Camry

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Camry. While driving approximately 15 mph up hill the vehicle lost power without warning. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The diagnostic test identified the accelerator position sensor caused the failure to occur. The manufacturer was contacted, but they would not offer any assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and the current mileages were 58,000.

- Riverside, CA, USA

Apr 012010

Camry

I have been experiencing much difficulty with acceleration when driving my 02 Toyota Camry xle..I step on the gas and the car hesitates to accelerate..then all of a sudden it goes hard..this is now on a daily basis whenever I drive.

- Feeding Hills, MA, USA

May 202010

Camry 6-cyl

We were leaving a gas station and proceeded to go around the back of the gas station but decided there was insufficient amount of area to go through between the gas station and an iga store.. the wife put the Camry in reverse and the engine accelerated and backed into a telephone pole..it threw us forward and again backed into the pole.. my wife automatically put the car in drive and the car shot through between the store and the gas station.. it broke both side mirrors and scratched down the sides of the car.. we proceeded into three lanes of traffic, hitting a Honda van in the passenger door.. the car kept going across two more lanes of traffic and into the gas station across the street before I finally reacted and told the wife to apply the emergency brake...the car stopped about two feet from hitting another vehicle..and the other gas station.. both vehicles were totaled in the accident.. the car would not stop even with my wife riding the brake until we hit the van.. witnesses said they heard the brakes squealing as we were coming out of the gas station area..

- Vinton, VA, USA

May 212008

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Camry. She stated while driving at speeds of 40 mph attempting to brake for a traffic stop, the vehicle abnormally accelerated. The contact was unable to stop the vehicle and crashed into another vehicle. The police arrived on scene and the vehicle was towed. A police report was available. The contacts vehicle was destroyed. Neither the dealer nor the manufacturer were contacted. The failure mileage was 60,000. Updated 06/24/10 updated 07/06/10 updated 8/9/10 according to the consumer, her husband was killed as well as another motorist. There were also two injuries. Updated 08/11/10

- Winter Haven, FL, USA

Sep 102009

Camry

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that while reversing from a driveway, the vehicle abnormally accelerated backward. The contact attempted to depress the brake but to no avail. The vehicle proceeded to crash into three parked vehicles. The contact was not injured and a police report was filed accordingly at the scene. The body damage to the vehicle was repaired however; the vehicle was not diagnosed for the sudden acceleration failure. The failure mileage was approximately 155,000 and the current mileage was approximately 165,000.

- Shorewood , WI, USA

Nov 092009

Camry

2002 Toyota Camry. Consumer states sudden unintended acceleration. The consumer stated as his wife entered the driveway, the vehicle suddenly accelerated and crashed into the consumers other vehicle.

- Lynbrook, NY, USA

Apr 302009

Camry 6-cyl

2002 Toyota acceleration in reverse. On 30 April 2009 the Camry accelerated and crashed in to a PT CRUISER. The crash was reported to Toyota in April 2010, and case number 1004020679 was made. When the consumers wife put her foot on the brake and started the engine, it had a very high idle after it was started. She placed the transmission into reverse with her foot still on the brake when suddenly, the vehicle accelerated backwards and hit a parked vehicle. Updated IVOQ 05/25/10 the consumer received a letter from Toyota stating diagnostic testing did not reveal any type of manufacturing design or defects which contributed to the accident. Updated IVOQ. 10/18/10.

- Upland , CA, USA

Apr 032009

Camry

-the contact owns a 2002 Toyota Camry. The contact was driving approximately 35 mph approaching traffic stop signal. When the brake pedal was engaged the vehicle accelerated and crashed into another vehicle. There were no personal injuries and the vehicle sustained damages. A police report was filed of the incident. The vehicle was not included in a recall defect. The failure mileage was unavailable. The current mileage was 53,000.

- Concord, NC, USA

Jan 162010

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Camry. While making a U-turn at 2 mph on the grass, the vehicle suddenly accelerated until the brakes were applied. The vehicle had not been repaired and the problem had not resurfaced when the complaint was filed. The failure mileage was approximately 35,000. The current mileage was 36,000. Updated 08/03/10. Updated 09/21/10

- Naples, FL, USA

Feb 052004

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owned a 2002 Toyota Camry. On February 5, 2004 on, the driver attempted to make a left turn when the vehicle accelerated uncontrollably and crashed into a tree. The passenger and driver were both injured. The speed when the failure occurred was 30 mph. The police responded and a police report was filed. An ambulance report is also available if needed. The air bags deployed after the crash occurred. The vehicle was towed to repair facility where it was repaired. The vehicle was sold when the complaint was filed. Updated 05/12/10. Updated 10/12/10

- New York , NY, USA

Oct 302008

Camry

Veh# 1 was exiting burbank ave turning left onto colonel john gardner when the floor mat became stuck' under the gas pedal, ca;using the vehicle to race forward.mcc turned the wheel but drove across the front lawn at 140 cjg. Vehicle then went across the street into the circuliar driveway at cjg striking several landscaping oiers, knocking sthem on the ground. The vehicle then went thru an 8! foot section of split rail fence and ran over a ail box post with 3 mailboxes on the property on the property OF133 cjg. Vehicle then crossed sthe street and struck a tree causing extensive front end damage.

- Narragansett, RI, USA

Feb 142002

Camry

The contact owns a 2002 Toyota Camry. The contact was driving approximately 65 mph when she release the accelerator pedal to apply her foot to the brake pedal, the vehicle kept accelerating. As a result, the contact crashed into another vehicle. There were three people injured in the crash. The contact stated that the vehicle was at her insurance company. The vehicle had not been taken to the dealer for diagnostic and testing. The contact stated there are 2 people in the family that drive the vehicle and 2 people have experienced unintended acceleration. The approximate failure and current mileages were 49,000.

- Orange, CA, USA