CarComplaints.com Notes: Beware of the NHTSA complaint data for the 2004 Camry. It is almost certainly misleading.

The problem with NHTSA data for the 2004 Camry is that for months on end, the news media repeatedly told the public that several Toyota models had an unintended acceleration defect, & to go to safercar.gov (the NHTSA's website) to file a complaint.

So, the NHTSA received a disproportionate number of complaints about unintended acceleration issues because of the national news media attention, to the point where their data is unreliable taken in context with any other vehicle that did not receive national news attention.

CarComplaints.com typically receives more complaints per day about vehicles than the NHTSA does, but the news media did not repeatedly say "go to CarComplaints.com to report your Camry acceleration problems" like they did about the NHTSA -- so although we have less complaint data than the NHTSA for the 2004 Camry, our data for the Camry is a far more statistically accurate representation of the Camry's reliability than what the NHTSA data shows.

2004 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Toyota Camry:

2004 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 1 of 11)

Oct 192016

Camry

Car was stalling, engine code revealed throttle stuck in closed position. Throttle body was gummed up with carbon, throttle body was cleaned with foaming throttle body cleaning agent designed for cleaning intake parts. Computer cannot understand new throttle position after cleaning, engine surges from about 800 RPM to about 3000 RPM in idle. When placed in gear, car accelerates on its own to well over 40 mph in idle. Creating a dangerous situation. Must ride brakes to control speed. Car is undrivable in its current state.

- Benson, NC, USA

Aug 012016

Camry

The contact owned a 2004 Toyota Camry. After parking the vehicle, it suddenly accelerated without warning and crashed into a garage. The air bags failed to deploy. The passenger sustained chest contusions, which required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed and deemed destroyed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 54,608.

- Evanston, IL, USA

Jul 292016

Camry

I was slowly pulling into a parking space when all of a sudden the car surged without warning. It accelerated so fast that I went through the bushes across the adjacent sidewalk and slammed into a light pole totaling my 2004 Camry.

- Cypress, CA, USA

Jun 152016

Camry

Slowly making a right turn to park in a wide open parking space in a parking garage. Car lunged forward hitting a wall in front of the parking space and damaging the front end of the car. No brake problems or previous acceleration problems

- Lake Mary, FL, USA

Nov 302015

Camry

Unintended (unexplained) acceleration: Slowly approached red light at intersection. As I eased on brake to stop behind line of traffic, engine surged. I pushed brake to floor and pushed on emergency brake with other foot while shifting into park. My next step would have been to shift into neutral, but car stopped a few inches behind the car ahead. This was all in the space of perhaps 5 seconds. Fortunately, I was not going fast or on a wet/icy road. Light changed to green and I shifted into drive. Car functioned normally. Dealer had car a full day, went through Toyota hq interview and tests, they were unable to repeat the ua, stated "vehicle is operating as designed" but would not tell me the car was safe or unsafe. I bought this car new in 2004, loved the way it handled for 75K miles, but now I do not trust it. I wonder if Toyota's tests ever allow them to recreate the ua, but they could/would not tell me that when I talked with the case manager at hq. My car was never on the ua recall list. Because I did not crash, the computer would not have recorded the accelerator or brake use to prove the ua happened! seems like a catch 22. I am afraid to drive my car and will give full disclosure if I trade it in or sell it. I asked and was told by Toyota hq case manager that this incident will be available if the car is checked on carfax. While the dealer was always sending me requests to trade in my car as it would sell well, I'm sure the value has dropped considerably now. I am not pleased with the outcome at all, only grateful that no one was hurt or killed in this incident.

- Lansdale, PA, USA

Sep 132005

Camry

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Camry. While driving at various speeds, the vehicle independently accelerated. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 25,000. The VIN was not available.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Sep 202015

Camry

On 9/20/15 while reversing out of a parking space at the South windsor public library, I depressed the accelerator lightly and the car surged backwards into very tight circles. I took my foot off the accelerator and pressed on the brakes and tried to put the car in park. After almost 2 rotations the car hit one curb and then another and after that I was finally able to put the car in park, all the while with my foot on the brake. My vehicle was towed to a local Toyota dealer and I contacted my insurance company. The insurance company reviewed my claim and has issued me a check to have the vehicle front end and undercarriage damages repaired. I have asked the Toyota dealership if the vehicle is safe to drive and they referred me to Toyota national. Toyota sent out an independent evaluator who evaluated the vehicle and then sent me a flash drive with the event data recorder results. However no summary report or narrative was provided, so I do not know if the vehicle is safe to drive. I called Toyota back and they informed me that it is up to me to find someone to interpret the results.

- South Windsor, CT, USA

Aug 092015

Camry

I was driving on a high speed. There was a red light so I tried to hit the brake pedal. But by doing that I the car had a sudden accelerate and the brake pedal went all the way down to the floor and the brake power is super weak. I was lucky that the car stopped right behind the car in front of me so no accident happened. I drive my car to a local brake shop, they inspected the whole system and tell me that they can't find anything wrong there. It was really scary to feel that your car is not controlled by yourself.

- Lexington, KY, USA

Mar 052015

Camry 6-cyl

I went to a local store to shop. I was attempting to park in the store lot, saw a space close to the front of the store. I slowed down to start turning (maybe 5-10 mph) into the parking space and when I tried to brake, my brake pedal went straight to the floor and the car started speeding up. It kept going like someone else had control of the car! I couldn't stop it and it ran into a car that was parked in front of the space. It pushed the other car completely out of the parking spot and rammed her car in the front area. We both suffered vehicle damage and I was charged. There was smoke coming out from under my car and as I was attempting to stop my runaway car, my foot slipped onto the accelerator. I thought maybe my brakes had given out but the officer said the brakes were not bad. There were skid marks showing I tried to stop and I was able to drive it home, very slowly. I was so scared!! I remember seeing a segment on tv about Toyota having problems regarding sudden acceleration in some of their cars.

- North Augusta, SC, USA

Jun 292014

Camry

2004 Toyota Camry. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle sudden acceleration. The consumer stated as she pulled into her driveway, though a security gate, the vehicle suddenly accelerated and hit a stone post in front of her house. The impact severely damaged the left front of the vehicle and also chipped out several pieces of the stone from the post.

- Rosemead, CA, USA

Jul 212014

Camry

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that while attempting to park at 5 mph, the vehicle independently accelerated. As a result, the contact crashed into a parking barrier and through a concrete wall. A police report was not filed and there were no injuries reported. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic but it was not diagnosed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 62,000.

- Phoenix , AZ, USA

Jun 022014

Camry 4-cyl

On 6/2/2014 I was on my way to work. As I pulled out my dirt road onto the main highway, my check engine light came on and my car automatically shut off. Mind you my car was still rolling, but I manage to pull on the side of the road and shut the car off. I try to step on gas peddle but car would not accelerate. So I waited a few mintues on side of road before attempting to re-start my car. Once I got it cranked, I drove 10 to 15 miles to get my car back in my yard. At this point in time, I cant drive it until it gets fix.

- Santee, SC, USA

Sep 012013

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Camry. The contact was driving 60 mph when the accelerator was depressed and the vehicle failed to respond. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for inspection. The contact was advised that the throttle body motor was rusted. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the incident. The approximate failure mileage was 135,000....updated 11-18-13

- Henderson , KY, USA

Oct 052011

Camry 6-cyl

On I-5, in the fast lane outside portland, Oregon without warning the car lost all power. I was able to drift to the side of the road but was still in traffic. When I reached a repair shop they diagnosed the problem as a chip failure in the gas pedal. This could have happened anywhere, without gas the car just stops, and the result could be far more serious.

- Walnut Creek, CA, USA

Jul 122013

Camry 4-cyl

Throttle body failure, engine shuts down, will restart in limp mode. Corroded defective throttle body. New part on order from Toyota. $900 repair. This also happened in 2007 an $850 repair. I called Toyota in 2007 and again this time. Toyota refuses to provide new throttle body or pay for repair. I assert this is a design and safety problem that Toyota should repair or recall at no charge. I purchased car new and have been a loyal Toyota customer. Purchased four new Toyota cars since 2002. Why would I purchase another car from Toyota?

- Bucyrus, OH, USA

May 032013

Camry 4-cyl

Purchased car from local Toyota dealer with just over 100K miles. Gas pedal stopped working. Car would not accelerate. Found out it was a failure of the throttle body. It costs over $1000 to fix. There are numerous complaints for this exact part on Toyota Camry's. when is it going to be recalled! obvious design flaw!

- Paris, TN, USA

Oct 222012

Camry

The contact owns a 2004 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds and decelerating, the vehicle accelerated independently. The failure recurred numerous times. The failure had not been diagnosed. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure and current mileage was 70,000.

- Jackonsville, FL, USA

Mar 242013

Camry 4-cyl

I had slowed down to turn into side road, foot was off gas and it accelerated. I immediately put on brakes and it corrected the problem. This is about the 3rd time it has happened. The first time it happened fast and I thought it was me. The next time same thing so I have been aware to watch and notice. Today it happened again and I know for sure it has a problem in accelerating. Sometimes it cuts off when first cranks like not getting enough gas. I have had Toyota for years but now getting leary

- Monroe, NC, USA

Mar 042013

Camry 4-cyl

I was driving, took a corner and my car turned off without warning or signal, and I lost power steering and hit another parked vehicle. I proceeded to turn my car back on, drive ten feet and the engine shut off again without warning. I went to the auto body shop and they stated it was a code 2112 throttle issue. I researched on the internet and saw several other consumer complaints about this same issue with the same make/model/year and around the same mileage as my car has. Toyota is not recalling or providing free service on the parts and I was given an estimate of over $1300 to fix. Seeing that this is normal wear and tear - I didnt do a thing to cause this to happen, and it's a safety issue, I believe they should be replacing and or recalling these vehicles.

- Stoneham, MA, USA

Mar 012013

Camry 4-cyl

I started my 2004 Toyota Camry le in my driveway. At the time of ignition, the engine chugged then idled as usual, but the check engine light illuminated. I put the vehicle into reserve and rolled back about 20 feet into the street, then put the vehicle into drive. I stepped onto the accelerator pedal and nothing happened. The vehicle continued to idle while in the drive gear, however, it would not accelerate despite me pressing the pedal all the way to the floor. I turned off the vehicle and waited approximately 10 minutes, then restarted the vehicle. The check engine light was no longer illuminated and when the vehicle was put into drive the accelerator worked properly. I took the vehicle to a local repair facility and was told about 2 codes in my computer: P2112 - throttle actuator control system - stuck closed, and P2102 - throttle actuator control motor circuit low (suggesting the throttle body be replaced). I contacted the local dealership in farmington, mi at which they reported throttle body issues were a known and common problem that they get calls about frequently, but there was no recall on the vehicle regarding this issue at this time. I was fortunate that I was on a side street near my home when this occurred, but am concerned that this could happen again while driving (as I have read in many safety complaints on the vehicle safety website).

- Livonia, MI, USA