CarComplaints.com Notes: Beware of the NHTSA complaint data for the 2005 Camry. It is almost certainly misleading.

The problem with NHTSA data for the 2005 Camry is that for months on end, the news media repeatedly told the public that several Toyota models had an unintended acceleration defect, & to go to safercar.gov (the NHTSA's website) to file a complaint.

So, the NHTSA received a disproportionate number of complaints about Toyota unintended acceleration issues because of the national news media attention, to the point where their data is unreliable taken in context with any other vehicle that did not receive national news attention.

CarComplaints.com typically receives more complaints per day about vehicles than the NHTSA does, but the news media did not repeatedly say "go to CarComplaints.com to report your Camry acceleration problems" like they did about the NHTSA -- so although we have less complaint data than the NHTSA for the 2005 Camry, our data for the Camry is a far more statistically accurate representation of the Camry's reliability than what the NHTSA data shows.

2005 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Toyota Camry:

2005 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 10 of 12)

Aug 102009

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that the vehicle suddenly accelerated after turning the ignition on. His foot was not on the accelerator pedal. He turned the vehicle off and re-started it approximately ten times; however, the engine continued to accelerate. The vehicle was towed to a dealer who stated that the cause of the failure was the throttle body which was replaced. He contacted the manufacturer stated that the failure should not have occurred and since the warranty was not valid; therefore, they did not assist in the repair costs. The current mileage was approximately 40,000. The failure mileage was approximately 35,996. Updated 03/10/10 the consumer stated upon starting the vehicle, the engine began racing at 4000 RPM's. he was unable to put the gear in drive. The vehicle was towed to the dealer and upon inspection, they stated a new throttle body was needed. Updated 06/18/10.

- Richmond Hill, NY, USA

Jan 222009

Camry

Backing out of parking spot at a local high school after dropping off my grand daughter for soccer practice. When I put my 05 Toyota Camry in "reverse", it bolted at what seemed like maximum speed "backwards" grazing one car and smashing into another parked car about 25 feet away. Total loss on my car and much damage to others. Lucky there were no kids walking in the lot at the time of accident. I read an article last night that described the same "sticking accelerator" problem other Toyota owners have experienced. I didn't know about the defect at the time of the accident, and got "chastised" by law enforcement for driving recklessly.

- Maurice, LA, USA

Aug 112007

Camry

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Camry. While making a left turn the vehicle began to accelerate. As a consequence she crashed into a parked vehicle. The vehicle was completely destroyed. After the crash she suffered many bruises and a broken collar bone. She was taken to the hospital for the injuries. The manufacturer went to inspect the totaled vehicle to exam the electronic throttle body computer but the damage to the vehicle impacted the computer itself. The failure mileage was 25,000.

- Bedford, TX, USA

Oct 092009

Camry

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Camry. While exiting a parking lot, the vehicle began to accelerate without intention. After repeated brake application the vehicle would not stop. Consequently he crashed through a fence and then into a building. The air bags did deploy. However he and his wife were injured (his wife had a fractured vertebrae and other issues) as a result of the failure. A police report was taken. The vehicle was completely destroyed. The manufacturer was notified, and representative was sent to inspect the brakes. The current and failure mileages were approximately 25,000.

- Monroe Township, NJ, USA

Sep 202009

Camry

On 9/20/2009 at 5 pm I was traveling at a speed of 60 miles per hour North on us Texas highway 121 and my 2005 Toyota Camry lost all power and the engine shut down. I was engaged in normal highway driving when this occurred. The car is well cared for and has 46,902 miles. Approximately 3 seconds prior to power failure, the check engine light came on. Otherwise, I had absolutely no indication that anything was wrong with the vehicle as it was operating normally. The power loss occurred just North of the alma road intersection and resulted in an extremely dangerous situation as the road was under construction, the road did not have a breakdown lane or shoulder, and the road had a high speed limit of 60 miles per hour. The complete loss in power meant I had no ability to power my car to a safe location; rather, I had to coast between traffic to an area of the road under construction. If traffic had been heavier, this could have easily resulted in a catastrophic, life threatening accident. The car was taken to a local Toyota dealership where the dealer informed me I needed a new throttle body as my throttle body appeared to be "rusted out". the car is kept inside a garage in the warm climate of dallas, Texas so I'm not sure how the throttle body "rusted out". furthermore, the car has had all suggested and required dealership maintenance items performed to it since I purchased it new. The total cost to repair the throttle body was $1,193.84 which I had to pay as it was not covered under warranty.

- Allen, TX, USA

Dec 022009

Camry

I just left a car wash and went to pull into the area where you can vacuum your car. The car suddenly accelerated on its own and struck a wall. Nothing has been done yet since the incident just occurred today.

- Port Orange, FL, USA

Nov 122009

Camry

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Camry. While entering a parking space, the vehicle suddenly accelerated. Consequently she crashed into two parked vehicles and then struck a pedestrian. The front passenger in the vehicle received injuries from being restrained by the seat belt. The pedestrian was transported by ambulance to the hospital. The manufacturer sent an investigator to the dealer to inspect her vehicle; yet, he could not identify the cause of the failure. The vehicle will be repaired. The current and the failure mileages were 22,000.

- Mount Prospect, IL, USA

Nov 122009

Camry

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Camry. While entering a parking space, the vehicle suddenly accelerated. Consequently she crashed into two parked vehicles and then struck a pedestrian. The front passenger in the vehicle received injuries from being restrained by the seat belt. The pedestrian was transported by ambulance to the hospital. The manufacturer sent an investigator to the dealer to inspect her vehicle. He could not identify the cause of the failure. The vehicle will be repaired for all other damages. The current and the failure mileages were 22,000.

- Mount Prospect, IL, USA

Aug 042009

Camry 6-cyl

The driver owns a 2005 Toyota Camry. Her son- in- law, while driving, was killed in a vehicle crash. The police report states that the driver was speeding and that the vehicle was speeding and the driver could not control the vehicle. She filed a complaint with Toyota manufacturer regarding unintended vehicle acceleration. The failure mileage was 45,000. Updated 03/08/10 updated 06/18/10. Updated 9/29/11

- Copiague, NY, USA

Feb 142009

Camry

Have a 2005 Toyota Camry. The engine has started accelerating three times, the last being 2/14/09. Each time the brakes were able to keep the car from speeding up and, after a few seconds, the engine went back to an idle. Two times I took the car to the dealer (and talked other times) and they checked it out. They could not find any problem and after conferring with their "headquarters" in California, said that they had never heard of anyone having this problem. After reading the first article in a newspaper about this concern I checked the floor mat. The floor mat is not even close to the accelerator pedal.

- Findlay, OH, USA

Nov 162009

Camry

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Camry. The contact was driving out of the garage when the vehicle suddenly accelerated forward into an electrical box and hit her neighbor's house. The contact sustained injuries and was transported to the hospital. The vehicle will be towed to the dealer to be repaired. The manufacturer advised the contact that the 2005 Toyota Camry was not on the recall list for sudden acceleration. The VIN and mileage were unknown.

- Tempe , AZ, USA

Nov 112009

Camry

2005 Toyota Camry. I was parking my car on city street. Slowing to stop, foot on brake. Ready to place shifter in park. My car took off "like a rocket" I could not stop it, my foot never left the brake, but it did no good. Car accelerated like my car was "floored", did not stop until it rear-ended another parked car. Now I worry about possible "at fault accident" on my insurance record, a citation from laws enforcement and damage to both cars!!!!!!!!!!!!!! as well as sheer terror. Thankfully, no injury to humans.

- Ottumwa, IA, USA

Oct 162009

Camry

Hi, I have a 2005 Toyota Camry. I read a recent article regarding the Lexus and Toyota having unexpected acceleration. This has happened to me 3 times in the last 30 days. The first couple of times I was coming to a stop at a stop sign and at a red light. I was applying my brakes and the car suddenly accelerated for a couple of seconds. I had to put a lot more pressure on the brakes to stop. The third incident happened in a parking lot. I pulled in the lot behind another car and was applying the brakes. I was stopped with the brakes applied and suddenly the car accelerated. Luckily I still had my foot on the brakes otherwise I would have hit the car in front of me. I did, however burn rubber as the tires spun while I had to press down hard on the brakes. I took it in to my mechanic. They called a Toyota dealership in modesto, ca to see if there was a recall for this problem or if they had heard of a similar type problem. They said there was no recall for this problem and were not aware of other incidents. To me this was a very scary situation. When you apply the brakes you would expect to stop, not have the car accelerate. This could very easily result in a crash.

- Oakdale, CA, USA

Jun 282009

Camry

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Camry. While exiting a parking space the vehicle accelerated without intention. As a consequence he rear-ended another vehicle, no one was injured but there was over $3000 damaged to the other vehicle. He filed case # 0909144743 with the manufacturer the failure mileage was 46,000.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jan 272007

Camry

I was entering a car wash on hwy51 in amite city, la. I lightly tapped the accelerator. The car lunged forward as if I had stomped the accelerator. I took my foot off the gas. It continued to accelerate as quickly as possible. I used to brakes with no results. I put my full weight on the brakes with no results. I was terrified as I zoomed out of the car wash and into an area where there is heavy pedestrian as well as vehicular traffic. I could tell that I was going as fast as the car would go. I quickly scanned the area and saw that no one was directly in front of me. I crossed the sidewalk, pine street and the parking lot of a convenience store. I hit a telephone poll, an iron poll and a large poll on a sign for gas. Both my legs were broken/ both bones were broken just above the ankle on the left leg. The large bone was broken just below the knee on the right leg. I still have problems with both. My daughter was dying with cancer. I was in the hospital, later rehab, then a nursing home while I recuperated. I was not released until late March. Was not able to see my daughter who lived in Texas. I went to see her as soon as I was released. She died a month later. Not being with her and her family during that time was as bad as the injuries. All lawyers stated that it would be too expensive to pursue. Toyota examined the car and poo pooed the idea that they were in any way responsible. I was very worried about someone having a worse accident.

- Greensburg, LA, USA

Aug 042009

Camry

I was driving my mother's 2005 Toyota Camry when it crashed into a tree when the car accelerated rapidly over about 10 ft. On its own - no feet on either pedal. I was going very slowly at the time as I was turning around and had just put the car into drive from reverse. I kept telling myself to remove my foot from the accelerator and did so. Since the car was pointed slightly uphill at the time, no braking should have been needed.

- Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Jul 032008

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Camry. While coasting around a corner at 5 mph, the vehicle suddenly began accelerating on its own. The contact applied the brakes, but the vehicle did not respond. The vehicle rear ended the preceding vehicle. There were no injuries. Five days prior to the failure, while driving 25 mph, the cruise control engaged by itself. The vehicle has not been diagnosed by the dealer. The current and failure mileages were 30,100. Updated 10/14/08 the consumer stated weeks before the accident, there were problems with the electrical system. Updated 10/15/08.

- Beach Haven, NJ, USA

Mar 262008

Camry

2005 Toyota Camry stalled while driving. Consumer states that the vehicle needed a new throttle body assembly. Consumer states that the warranty was overdue by 120 days.

- West Hartford, CT, USA

Oct 102006

Camry 4-cyl

Toyota Camry 2005 the car wont slow down it wont go below 27 mph, very dangerous.

- N Ft Myers, FL, USA

Oct 152007

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Camry. While idling, the vehicle revs and accelerates on its own. The vehicle was taken to the dealer four times, but they have been unable to duplicate the failure. The current mileage was 33,500 and failure mileage was 28,000.

- Holiday, FL, USA