CarComplaints.com Notes: Beware of the NHTSA complaint data for the 2005 Camry. It is almost certainly misleading.

The problem with NHTSA data for the 2005 Camry is that for months on end, the news media repeatedly told the public that several Toyota models had an unintended acceleration defect, & to go to safercar.gov (the NHTSA's website) to file a complaint.

So, the NHTSA received a disproportionate number of complaints about Toyota unintended acceleration issues because of the national news media attention, to the point where their data is unreliable taken in context with any other vehicle that did not receive national news attention.

CarComplaints.com typically receives more complaints per day about vehicles than the NHTSA does, but the news media did not repeatedly say "go to CarComplaints.com to report your Camry acceleration problems" like they did about the NHTSA -- so although we have less complaint data than the NHTSA for the 2005 Camry, our data for the Camry is a far more statistically accurate representation of the Camry's reliability than what the NHTSA data shows.

2005 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Toyota Camry:

2005 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 7 of 12)

Aug 292009

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owned a 2005 Toyota Camry. He stated that the brakes continued to lock while driving at various speeds. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where they could not duplicate the failure. The manufacturer stated that they did not have any additional complaints similar to his. On a separate occasion, while driving at speeds of approximately 25 mph through a school zone, the vehicle abnormally accelerated to the right and crashed into a pole. The driver attempted to stop the vehicle by depressing the brakes, to no avail. The vehicle was destroyed and a police report was filed on scene. The contact was transported to the hospital and suffered moderate injuries and bruises. The manufacturer investigated the vehicle further and could not find any technical errors in the vehicle. The cause of the crash was inconclusive. The failure mileage was 40,000. The VIN was not available. Updated 04/27/10. Updated 07/08/10.

- Randolph, NJ, USA

Oct 102009

Camry

I have a 2005 Toyota Camry that I feel accelerates even after the brakes has been applied. I had taken my car to the dealership to check it however was advised that there was no problem with my car. Anyhow after all this I don't feel driving a Toyota is safe for me and my family. I am hopeful that the authorities should also look at 2005 and 2006 Camry's.

- Norwalk, CA, USA

Feb 132010

Camry

2005 Toyota Camry accelerated when I took my foot of the gas pedal and slammed into, and went up on, a snow bank. I attempted to step on the brake but it was too late, and I suffered a sprained ankle upon impact. I went to the local Toyota dealer and was told that my vehicle was not one that had been recalled and if I wanted, I could bring the car in four days later to be looked at but I would be charged.

- Woburn, MA, USA

Sep 012008

Sudden acceleration.

- Fremont, CA, USA

Feb 182010

Camry

Camry acceleration. My 2005 Camry has accelerated at full throttle at least 5 times. The latest occurrence was on 2-18-2010. So far no one has gotten hurt, but this vehicle is unsafe.

- Jackson, CA, USA

Jun 202005

Camry

I was stopped at a signal light. The Toyota Camry I was driving off of holt ave. Pomona. Ca. I accelerated by tapping the accelerator and the car abruptly started accelerating aggressively on its own and lead me directly head on into a tree. It was almost like the car was "taken over" by something. I suffered some minor injuries of the back, head, and shoulder. I almost died. The airbag came out so I survived. I was taken to the hospital for check up and released the same day. I was holding a Nevada license. I called the pomona police today for a accident report number however the police department denied there was report taken. The car was totaled. The car was insured in California. This accident occurred after a other car in our family of 2, mysteriously rolled over on road of the 15 interstate highway were my mother almost died. The cause of the accident is also still unknown.the acceleration speed is unknown I have guessed the speed in the further documentation..I am not sure of the equipment type in the car.

- Diamond Bar, CA, USA

Nov 302009

Camry

On 11/30/2009 my wife was parking her 2005 Toyota Camry. The car suddenly sped up and she turned to the right and crashed the left front of the car into the poured concrete foundation. Fortunately she was not injured. She is certain the floor mat did not get stuck under the gas pedal. The car was towed to the dealer they told us the 2005 model year Camry was not involved in the recall (they also told us the 2005 model year was not "fly-by-wire" and after checking recanted that statement) and submitted a claim to our insurance company. The insurance company will not pursue Toyota for reimbursement because the cost to do so would exceed the cost to repair the car (about $5,000). The dealer's repair shop says that the transmission fluid was low, burned and black and this caused the car to lurch forward. In the course of repairs they flushed and refilled the transmission fluid (at our expense) and said that would solve the problem. The car was purchased with only 12,630 miles on the odometer and the front end repaired after a similar crash. We had no idea about any problem regarding the accelerator system sticking at that time. With the most recent Toyota recall I called the dealership about reflashing the computer for that portion of the software that controls the accelerator system. It is my understanding that the reflash installs an override that cancels the accelerator when the brakes are depressed. I was told that there was no computer upgrade available for the 2005 model Camry, only 2007 and newer models.

- Marietta, OH, USA

Sep 112008

Camry 6-cyl

Toyota Camry 2005 V-6. as accelerated vehicle to merge on highway, the vehicle took off and I was unable to stop or control any steering. I was in the lt. Lane with a diesel truck next to me. I needed to merge soon so looked down to cupholder, grabbed my slurpee while accelerating, the car hit the rt. Lane pads and would not slow down, I steered to the right to avoid hitting the truck, the car was out of control I screamed "oh my god, what's happening" hit the cement highway divider at which time I lost consciousness. The care went into oncoming traffic and flew off the South bound freeway, stopping in a ditch. I was wedged between the drivers seat and door, unable to move. I was now a trauma patient, severing my spleen, fracturing 4 ribs, internal bleeding and a surgical patient for removal of my spleen, transfusions and a tube sucking my internal bleed through a pump which delivered my blood back into my veins. Hospitalization for 7 days, unable to eat, ice chips only for 6 days. 30+ staples up my stomach and a new digestive process forever. I knew the car sped up when I accelerated to merge and as I tried to stop the car by pushing on the brakes, it would not slow down and immediately seemed to go off the road in the lt lane fishtailing while I braked. Fortunately I did lose consciousness and did not hit another vehicle during the accident. I have never had an accident before this and have driven for approx. 32 years when this happened. I know the car would not stop which I told the chp and my insurance investigator who sent forensics to the auto yard. We thought maybe the new tires were at fault but with Toyota recent transparency, it becomes obvious they knew of this issue but failed to put out a recall for acceleration problems recently but more importantly knowing of an issue and it's potential to lead to death for some of its customers but lacked the safety conscious to recall their accelerators and braking systems.

- Westwood, CA, USA

Jun 202008

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Camry. While backing out of a parking space, the vehicle suddenly accelerated. The consumer stated she had her foot on the brake, but the vehicle continued to accelerate. The consumer swerved and crashed into a tree and finally stopped. Updated updated 07/06/10.

- Sewickley, PA, USA

Aug 222006

Camry

This is to report an accident we had in our 2005 Toyota Camry. At the end of August 2006 my family, with my husband driving, were turning into the luby's parking lot in plano, Texas. As he turned into the parking space going approx, 1-2 mph, the car suddenly started revving like crazy and accelerated at high speed into a light pole at the front of the parking space. The acceleration happened in a space of about 5 to 7 feet and yet the front end of the car was damaged so bad that the passenger side door wouldn't open. The light pole had a cement base and stopped the car from going any further but the car was still accelerating after we had stopped. After my husband turned off the key, the engine ran for a minute or two more. At the time we had no clue that it could have been a problem with the Toyota. Although we suspected it. Our car is also not on the recall list. My husband made a statement to the insurance company at the time and I would assume they would have this on file. The car was repaired but we are worried this might happen again. Since we don't know which if any part malfunctioned, we do not know if it was replaced after the accident.

- Mckinney, TX, USA

Jan 052010

Camry

I was in a multi-storey car park and I spotted a free space 20 yards ahead. I took my foot off the accelerator, and the vehicle begun to lose speed normally. I applied the brake gently to turn right into an empty spot. I was braking to a halt at an appropriate distance from a retaining wall when suddenly, with no warning, the Toyota lurched forward at an incredible rate of acceleration, struck the wall then bounced back several feet and the engine cut out. I suffered severe neck trauma, due first to the sudden acceleration and then the impact. The airbag did not deploy despite the fact that the damage to the front of the car was according to an expert consistent with an impact speed of 30 to 35 mph. Earlier in the same trip, I was stopped at traffic lights with the car in drive and my foot on the brake. Suddenly the car vibrated and lurched against the brake, trying to move ahead. I had to brake hard to prevent it from doing so. The lights changed and I proceeded towards the parking garage where the accident described above subsequently occurred. The damage to the front of the car has not yet been fixed and the car has not been used since the accident. I reported this accident to Toyota customer service who arranged for someone from their local service company to examine the vehicle at the body shop where it was located. The main conclusion of their examination was that they found no problem with the brakes. In fact, my complaint was not about the brakes, which had always worked perfectly normally. Their report also said "we are happy that you did not sustain injuries in this incident". I am sorry to inform them that I am still suffering from severe back and neck pain from the injuries that I sustained.

- Los Altos, CA, USA

Oct 092004

Camry

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Camry. Occasionally when the contact attempt\ed to brake at any speed, he noticed that the vehicle suddenly surged forward without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who stated that the computer needed to be replaced. The current and failure mileages were 23,000.

- New Port News, VA, USA

Aug 202009

Camry 4-cyl

The driver owns a 2005 Toyota Camry. The driver stated that the vehicle would suddenly accelerate. The driver first noticed the problem while driving approximately 5 mph in a parking lot when the speedometer increased to 50 mph. She quickly depressed the brake pedal, shifted into park and used the emergency brake to stop the vehicle. In September 2009, she was driving at approximately 60 mph when the vehicle suddenly accelerated to 85 mph and she pulled over and depressed the brake pedal. After 3-5 minutes, the vehicle decelerated to 60 mph. The vehicle was taken to the dealership and the dealer told the driver that the vehicle had no problems. The contact called the manufacturer and filed a complaint. The representative told the contact that because the dealer found no problems, there was nothing they could do. The current mileage was approximately 43,000. The failure mileage was approximately 41,500. Updated 04/01/10. Updated 07/08/10

- Quincy, MO, USA

Sep 192008

Camry

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Camry. While the contact attempted to park the vehicle, it suddenly accelerated without warning causing the contact to crash into a parking post. The contact noticed previously that the vehicle would occasionally surge whenever driven at various speeds. The vehicle was taken to the dealership where the contact was informed that the failure could not be reproduced. The current and failure mileages were 60,000.

- Bristol, CT, USA

Aug 012006

Camry

Numerous occasions of unexplained acceleration and were reported to Toyota who reported could not find a problem. Numerous occasions of braking problems and were reported to Toyota who reported could not find a problem. Numerous occasions of steering problems and were reported to Toyota who reported could not find a problem. Numerous occasions of transmission problems and were reported to Toyota who reported could not find a problem. Vehicle was returned to Toyota under ca lemon law in 2006 or 2007.

- Santa Cruz, CA, USA

Nov 122007

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Camry. While driving 3 to 5 mph with his foot on the brake pedal, the vehicle continued to accelerate into the rear end of a truck, side swiped another vehicle because the brakes failed to engage. The brakes failed twice and each time the vehicle continued to accelerate on its own although the contact had his foot on the brake pedal. There were no injuries during both collisions. A police report was not filed. The vehicle was driven to his home. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and the brakes was checked; however, no failure was detected. The failure mileage was 20,000. Updated 03/30/10.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jun 292005

Camry

This 2005 Camry xle has a pause when starting from stop or accelerating when attempting to pass. If I come to a complete stop and when I start moving I'll have a short pause and then it'll move on but this pause could be dangerous or just enough time to put me in danger in both cases. I took it to swoop Toyota in elizabethtown ky and was told by the mechanic that if I was not the primary driver that the computer adjust to the main driver (my wife) and it would act differently for other drivers.

- Lebanon, KY, USA

Jan 252010

Camry

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Camry. The contact stated while driving at 25 mph the vehicle suddenly accelerated. The contact slammed the brakes to bring the vehicle to a complete stop. The contact took the vehicle to a dealer and the dealer could not find a problem. The contact feels this year make and model should be added to the recall list so the vehicle can be repair. The failure mileage was 39,500. Updated 11/16/10.

- Vestavia Hills, AL, USA

Feb 212010

Camry

I was driving along I 95 in fla. When my car accelerated with out warning to a speed greater than the law allowed, I immediately applied my brakes, and the car would not stop. I worked my way over to the left lane, and drove onto the shoulder against the concrete retaining wall, applying my brakes in this process. I put the car in neutral and it still continued at a fast pace, applying my brakes, and brushing along the retaining wall, thus slowing the car to a stop.

- Lake Worth, FL, USA

Mar 162007

Camry 4-cyl

-the contact owns a 2005 Toyota Camry. The contact was driving approximately between 60-65 under normal conditions, proceeding to a complete stop. There was a sudden acceleration. Immediately, pressure was applied to the brake pedal and the vehicle slowed down. The vehicle was able to continue operation. The identical failures occurred on three separate occasions. The vehicle has not been repaired for the malfunction. The failure mileage was 11,000. Updated 03/11/10 the consumer stated the sudden acceleration happened three times, all at random with months between occurrences. Road/weather conditions were always good. Updated 06/14/10. Updated 11/11/10 the consumer stated all of the information is accurate. Updated 11/17/10

- Coolidge, AZ, USA