CarComplaints.com Notes: Beware of the NHTSA complaint data for the 2005 Camry. It is almost certainly misleading.

The problem with NHTSA data for the 2005 Camry is that for months on end, the news media repeatedly told the public that several Toyota models had an unintended acceleration defect, & to go to safercar.gov (the NHTSA's website) to file a complaint.

So, the NHTSA received a disproportionate number of complaints about Toyota unintended acceleration issues because of the national news media attention, to the point where their data is unreliable taken in context with any other vehicle that did not receive national news attention.

CarComplaints.com typically receives more complaints per day about vehicles than the NHTSA does, but the news media did not repeatedly say "go to CarComplaints.com to report your Camry acceleration problems" like they did about the NHTSA -- so although we have less complaint data than the NHTSA for the 2005 Camry, our data for the Camry is a far more statistically accurate representation of the Camry's reliability than what the NHTSA data shows.

2005 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Toyota Camry:

2005 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 8 of 12)

Sep 032006

Camry

On Sunday September 3, 2006 I pulled into a parking space at kroger grocery store after church to shop about 10:30 or 11:00 am. As I pulled into the space to park my 2005 Toyota Camry, it did a sudden acceleration, jump the curb and crashed into the grocery store wall. The store wall was not damaged but my Camry had about $4000 worth damage. When I told Toyota what had happen I was told to contact Toyota regional office. I contacted them and they told me that someone would be out to investigate my claim. They kept my vehicle for over three weeks, then they started on the body repair. Toyota claimed they could not substantiate my claim of sudden acceleration, but I know they repaired my vehicle internally as well as the body work because when I picked my car up from joseph Toyota dealership the car acceleration pedal felt so different. It felt real stiff and hard to mash. The brakes were check and fixed, because during the sudden acceleration they fail to stop the car. As I press them the seat belt choked an strap me so tight that I had a large welt across my chest. Toyota knew they had a problem with sudden acceleration at least since I reported it in 2006. They lied and made my insurance company pay all of that money, I had to struggle to come up with all of my deductible, pay for 4 weeks of car rental of about $45 a day while Toyota regional office drug their feet about investigating my car. I was scare, sore and frustrated about how this whole thing was handle, but now I feel vindicated. Had Toyota regional office told the truth about the problem with my Camry and did the recall in 2006 when I reported this, they could have save a lot injuries and lives. I knew I couldn't go up against this big corporation by my self and I'm sorry people have loss their lives got injured, but glad it came out to the consumers. I feel Toyota also changed my accelerator pedal in 2006, or put that little steel chip in back of the pedal, the new 2010 fix. My car has loss value.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Dec 042009

Camry

Car located in omaha, ne, being driven East from 42nd and curtis avenue, downhill at approximately 41st and curtis ave (car speed up on level area to compensate for the computer systems ability to slow the car down or prevent coasting), my 2005 Toyota SE hit a parked car, airbags deployed and the car continued to drive an additional block after the brakes were applied. Car hit a dirt road/ditch and bounced and landed into a private yard located on the southeast side of the road. The hill in the private yard stopped the car from continuing on.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Apr 212007

Camry

My 2005 Toyota Camry accelerated suddenly in 2007. I slammed on the brakes to avoid hitting the concrete median on the freeway. The car went into a spin and stopped. The traffic was light so no one was hurt. I took the car to the dealer in burien, wa. They said there was nothing wrong with the car and gave me a written report saying that they were unable to verify the concern. I want to report this event so that it can be included in the information that is being gathered regarding sudden acceleration in Toyota Camry. This is a 2005 so Toyota needs to expand their parameters to include my car.

- Green Valley, AZ, USA

Feb 122010

Camry

Pulling into parking spot I stepped on the accelerator, the engine hesitated, then the car accelerated on its own, crashed into guard rail - no other vehicles or persons involved. I tried to step on brake, didn't do any good. Acceleration stopped after I hit the guard rail. Toyota dealership told me it was a dirty throttle body - cleaned throttle body.

- Proctor, MN, USA

Dec 202009

Camry

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Camry. The contact stated as she was driving 12 mph approaching the red light, the vehicle accelerated almost hitting two other vehicles in front of her. As she swerved the vehicle and depressed the brakes the vehicle stopped. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer and they stated that she had to pay $90 for a diagnostic test. The contact did not pay the cost and the dealer would not diagnose the vehicle. The contact did not call the Toyota manufacturer and report the failure. Routine maintenance was not performed on the vehicle prior to the failure. The failure mileage was 40,000.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Camry

I drive a 2005 Toyota Camry...in about approx. October 2009 I experienced while on the I-20 freeway car trouble. My gas pedal went all the way to the floor and the car reved up and died. It would not start and when it did the motor went racing. I had to have it towed to the Toyota dealership. I have in writing from the yokem Toyota dealership that it was my throttle sticking. I paid them approx. $900 to have it fixed. I wrote to the Toyota Corp. About getting reimbursed in January and still have not heard from them. I didnt see my year model on the recall list but I did send them a copy of my receipt with the dealership stating that it was the throttle. How can I get reimbursed. My mother bought 4 Toyota for the family and so far mine had the defect.

Camry

I drive a 2005 Toyota Camry...in about approx. October 2009 I experienced while on the I-20 freeway car trouble. My gas pedal went all the way to the floor and the car revved up and died. It would not start and when it did the motor went racing. I had to have it towed to the Toyota dealership. I have in writing from the yokem Toyota dealership that it was my throttle sticking. I paid them approx. $900 to have it fixed. I wrote to the Toyota Corp. About getting reimbursed in January and still have not heard from them. I didn't see my year model on the recall list but I did send them a copy of my receipt with the dealership stating that it was the throttle. How can I get reimbursed.

Jan 152010

Camry

The contact owns a 2005 Toyota Camry. The contact was backing out of a parking space. Suddenly, there was an unintended acceleration. The vehicle failed to slow down. The driver crashed into the driver side of an unoccupied parked vehicle. The police was not called to the scene. There was no personal injury. The vehicle was able to resume in operation with caution. The authorized dealer was notified of the malfunction. The trunk area and rear bumper sustained damages. The vehicle has not been repaired at this time. The failure mileage was 31,933.

- Willis, TX, USA

Oct 112008

Camry

Changing lanes, car accelerated, unable to control vehicle. Crashed into front end of waiting car and into stop sign.

- Houston, TX, USA

Aug 102009

Camry

Fatal life threatening accident in August 2009. Toyota Camry 2005. Car hydroplaned while changing lane. Vehicle speed was changed while changing lane and it got over accelerated. Vehicle lost controlled tumbled, flipped couple of times and hit the major highway ramp. Police arrived and all four adults and toddler is admitted to hospital using ambulance service. Later on insurance company declared car as total loss.

- Herndon, VA, USA

Oct 162006

Camry 4-cyl

My father was driving a 2006 Camry. He was backing into a parking spot at a supermarket shopping center in palisades park, NJ. He decided to go forward and then back up again. When he attempted to go forward slowly and briefly, the accelerator opened full-throttle. He attempted to brake as hard as he could but the car kept accelerating. He hit two people while trying to bring the car under control and then slammed into a long row of shopping carts. The car shut off once it collided with the carts. One of the persons was killed. The other sustained a broken arm. The car was examined by the palisades park police and found to have no observable defect with the accelerator. My father had the car fixed and ended up selling it, so it is still on the road. I would have to search his files and see if any information was saved about the car. Perhaps his VIN # would be traceable through his former insurance company, all-state, or the palisades NJ police dept. Updated 03/14/10 updated 08/06/10 update 9/19/2011

- Old Tappan, NY, USA

Feb 072010

Camry

I have a 2005 Camry. The car started off fine and within a minute it did not accelerate even with the gas pedal down all the way. The engine check light was on and I let it idle for 10 mins. It started running fine and there was no longer the check engine light. Now the car was able to accelerate. 4 days later, I stopped at a traffic light and made a turn to the left and the car slowed down and did not accelerate thereafter.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Feb 122010

Camry

I own a 2005 Camry. I was driving on I 95 at 60 mph when the car lunged twice, then stopped accelerating and went from 60 to 0 in ten seconds making it difficult to coast to a stop on the side of the very busy highway. After towing car to the dealer nearest me, it was diagnosed as the throttle body failure. I wa told it would cost 1,000 to replace it. My car only has 39,000 miles on it. The warranty did not cover this part. Then the dealer repairman said he would clean it out for $145 which he did. He said this has to be done every 30,000 miles because of a design problem. I did some research and have found Toyota Camry 02-06 have this flawed part and there are many complaints over the internet documented. I felt very unsafe when the incident happened and now am anxious that it will happen again. My question is: Why did the dealer want to see if it was covered under our warranty we paid for extra by another insurance company (ie., not toyotal mfr. Warranty) and when they found out it was not covered, they just cleaned it and said it was fine now? as a consumer, I am not wanting to go through the experience of my car just abruptly stopping like that and being left on the side of the road again.

- Cocoa, FL, USA

Mar 052005

Camry

My 5 month old Toyota Camry SE V6 2005 with 5,200 miles on odometer suddenly accelerated when approaching slowly into driveway as usual for nearly 20 years of my residence. The Camry was only stopped on itself after it hit the wall of rocky ledge standing at driveway's end. I felt very lucky and god blessed because if this accident happened on the road its consequences is very horrible beyond any imagination of fatalities.after this accident, I notified the Toyota corporation and they answered me that they found nothing defective with this Camry after an investigation. I was really disappointed at Toyota Corp action. Repair of damage cost more than 7,000 dollars and I must pay surcharge since 2005 until now on my insurance policy. At that time, I was completely given up because Toyota is a very powerful corporation and my voice unheard and unnoticed by anyone.

- Malden, MA, USA

Oct 062009

Camry

On October 6, 2009, I drove my 2005 Camry into the parking lot making a right turn and coasting into my usual parking space with my foot lightly on the brake. As I approached the curb, my Camry suddenly accelerated, jumping the approximately six-inch curb, and hitting a tree approximately six feet from the curb while continuing to accelerate, after which I turned off the car with my key. I called my insurance agent, then aaa to have the car towed to our body shop, in-and-out auto body in gaithersburg, md. I told the insurance company I didn't know what had happened, that my Camry had suddenly accelerated toward the tree, and asked the body shop to check the brakes and accelerator. After they repaired my Camry (bill was $5321), the body shop confirmed that the brakes and accelerator were working as expected. I drove the Camry home but later my husband told me of reports he found on the internet of 'sudden acceleration¿ by Toyota, particularly 2005 Camry, and I no longer trust this car and will not drive it.

- North Potomac, MD, USA

Jan 122010

Camry

Vehicle suddenly accelerated for no reason.

- Marietta, OH, USA

Jan 122010

Camry

My 2005 Camry suddenly accelerated for no apparent reason.

- Marietta, OH, USA

Jun 052005

Camry

My parents were both killed in a 2005 Toyota Camry. The investigating officer informed me that my mother had not slowed down and was traveling at a high rate of speed when leaving the road. There was not any indication that she tried slowing down. At the time I asked for an investigation of the vehicle but was told the damage was so severe there was no way of determining if there was a problem with the car. I do have photos of the car taken 2 days after the accident updated 02/13/10 updated 02/16/10. Updated 03/10/10 updated 07/12/10 update 9/19/2011

- Bradenton, FL, USA

Mar 102005

Camry

2005 Camry at low throttle positions 35-40 mph rpms jump 200 and then returns. This happens consistantly. I have written Toyota three letters and they have blown me off each time. I still have copies of the letters. Now that Toyota is fessing up, perhaps they will fix this condition as it unnerving if not dangerous. I am putting in a date as your form will not let me continue although this happens all the time.

- Austin, TX, USA