CarComplaints.com Notes: An increasing number of Toyotas are experiencing excessive oil consumption and the 2007 Camry seems to be leading the charge.

Owners are reporting that their engines are deprived of oil halfway through their maintenance schedules and in some cases the damage is so bad that entirely new engines need to be installed, paid out of pocket. The issue may be a result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

Toyota has issued a TSB for this problem, but maintains their stance that vehicles equipped with a 2AZ-FE engine are burning through a “normal” amount of oil.

2007 Toyota Camry body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Camry:

2007 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 2 of 5)

Jan 102015

Camry 4-cyl

The dashboard is sticky and on a sunny day is hard to see.

- Cape Coral, FL, USA

Dec 012011

Camry

The dashboard on my 2007 Toyota Camry has melted and is very sticky. It is easily damaged just by lightly bumping it. Also, the glare from the dashboard is extremely dangerous. Since I drive to work facing the sun and drive home facing the sun, the commute is very difficult, tiresome, and dangerous. Please advise me how to rectify this problem.

- Honolulu, HI, USA

Mar 192014

Camry

I starting noticing that my dashboard was getting sticky the beginning of 2014, it starting getting worse over E following months, I went online and noticed that other people were complaining about the melting dashboards on the Camry so I wrote to the company numerous times, and they told me that T was past the warranty and that they would do nothing about it, and I would have to pay to get it fixed. I see is as a major issue that they knew about but won't do anything about it, I refuse to pay the ridiculous amount that it would need to be fixed. The surface is very shiny and there is a bad reflection which makes it hard to see, I had a gps holder on the dash and it fell off and pulled off some of the dash with it. I am very upset about this and feel that Toyota should fix this.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Dec 022013

Camry

When sun comes out the dash board gets shiny and and oily. The reflection of the sun's rays from the oily surface of the dash board makes it difficult to see the road. The visibility is quite reduced and it is dangerous to drive with such poor view of the road in front. When taken to the Toyota dealer in bradenton, fl. He says he has not seen any dash board like that.

- Bradenton, FL, USA

Nov 172014

Camry

The dashboard on my Toyota Camry is very sticky and shiny and it reflects a shiny shadow when the sun or night lights hit it. It causes a reflection and it makes it hard to see while driving.

- Boca Raton, FL, USA

Dec 042014

Camry

I own a 2007 Toyota Camry and my dashboard is all sticky and shiny...tried to go to the dealer...and dealer claimed it's not a recall...all the dust, dirt and debris from the outside has stuck (harbored) right onto my sticky dashboard, I have tried unsuccessfully to clean it but all elements gets stuck onto dashboard....with all this being said, I believe this has caused some breathing issues for me when I drive. (I have severe allergies)...so yes in this case, it certainly warrants a health and safety concern. I would like to escalate this issue. Thanks,

- Deerfield Beach, FL, USA

Oct 072013

Camry

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. The contact stated the dash board developed a sticky substance that resulted in a glare reflection. The failure recurred on various occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that the dash board needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- Trabuco Canyon, CA, USA

Nov 192014

Camry 4-cyl

I have 2007 Toyota Camry ce. A couple of years ago I noticed that my dashboard was getting sticky, gummy and disintegrating. I have almost 110,000 miles on it. I want Toyota to fix this manufacturing defect since its getting very difficult to drive on a sunny day.

- Coral Springs, FL, USA

Nov 012014

Camry 4-cyl

Melts in the sun so.soft a fingernail will damage it with just a simple brush. Cannot clean because of how soft it gets. Creates a glare which causes blindspots.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Oct 202014

Camry

My dashboard is melting. It's become extremely sticky and shiny. Even when I try to wash it, it continues to secrete a slimy sticky film. The plastic is failing. Toyota wants over 2000 dollars to replace it. It's dangerous because it's so terribly shiny. I bought it new in 2007.

- Spring Hill, FL, USA

Oct 262014

Camry 4-cyl

We just bought this car for my daughter yesterday evening from a Toyota dealer in fl. I saw a shiny blemish on the dashboard up by the left front speaker and the salesman told us the dash was probably damaged by cleaning agents. I realized today after the car was in the sun that the whole dash was soft and sticky like it was melting and was causing a very blinding glare when facing certain directions with the sun. The dash is so shiny that it also reflects on the windshield. The whole dash feels like a fly trap and to me seems very dangerous when driving because of the obstruction of due to glare. I've been reading online and apparently I'm not the only one experiencing this problem with a melting dashboard, nor is it limited to Toyota. It seems to be a manufactured parts defect and should be handled or recalled by the car manufacture.. there also seems to be a smell the hotter it gets in the car and I don't know if its the plastic in the dash or if it could be potentially harmful. Please help. Thank you!

- Saint Cloud, FL, USA

Oct 142014

Camry

Dashboard becomes sticky and disintegrating, easily breaks apart and scratches. Car has been kept in carport for the entire life of car.

- Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA

Jul 052014

Camry 6-cyl

The vehicle was turning into a parking space with the brake on. Suddenly the vehicle lunged forward and went through the glass front of a bank building, landing in the vestibule. The accident data provided by the inspector hired by Toyota clearly shows that at the time the brake pedal was depressed. When the brake was applied the acceleration increased from.78 to 2.27 and the engine rpms increased from 400 to 2000. When the brake was released at the time of the accident, the acceleration rate returned to.78 and the rpms dropped to 1600. Toyota says they found no mechanical problems with the car and insists that both the accelerator and brake were pressed at the same time, which was not the case. This was not the first time the vehicle accelerated unexpectedly, but at the time we didn't realize that there might be a problem with the car. We feel Toyota doesn't want to take responsibility for this issue and are concerned that this might happen again. As a result, my wife is now afraid to ride in the car.

- Auburn, ME, USA

Aug 012014

Camry 4-cyl

Melting dashboards become sticky, shiny and cracked. You can see where I've accidentally nicked it and the thing comes off. It's very hard to drive when you're blinded by glare and you don't see a big portion of the road. It's just melting more and more every day. I have kids, is not safe, I am sure is toxic and is not only melting but also breaking and my kids can eat it.

- Dania Beach, FL, USA

Aug 092014

Camry 4-cyl

I was parking my car and when I went to stop car and turn it off, I experienced unexpected acceleration. Car jumped the curb and crashed into the concrete barrier of the parking garage.

- Wilmington, DE, USA

Jun 012014

Camry 6-cyl

My 2007 Toyota Camry dashboard started to melt this summer. I typically wipe away the dust with a clean microfiber cloth from time to time. I have been unable to do so this entire summer because anything that touches the dashboard sticks to it. It's now getting to the point that it creates a glare on the windshield and can be hard to see on a sunny day. Toyota should recall this and replace it with a dashboard that won't do the same thing. I understand wear and tear but this is ridiculous. I have had many cars and this is the first situation I've come across that I felt needed to be fixed by the company, no matter how old the car is. Toyota told me it had no idea about this being an issue. Clearly from what I've read online, they are in denial. Most reports I've seen online are in Texas and Florida. I'm reporting this issue from St. Louis, mo.

- Saint Peters, MO, USA

Apr 182011

Camry 4-cyl

My 2007 Camry's dashboard seems to be "melting." It is very sticky and reflects a glare on the windshield - making it hard to see. I am afraid it will eventually lead to an accident. I have heard of others having the same problem, so I know there must be a solution or a recall soon. Toyota changed dashboard material in 2009 (from what I heard on the news) so it makes me believe that they were aware of the issue... please help!

- Huffman, TX, USA

Jul 012013

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that the dashboard was sticking, melting, and fractured which caused a glare in the windshield while driving. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, who advised that the dash board needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 85,000...updated 10/07/14..updated 10/15/14 updated 7/22/2015

- Tomball, TX, USA

May 012013

Camry

07 Camry with a sticky/melting dashboard. Causes glare during daylight driving.

- Pineville, LA, USA

Feb 152014

Camry 4-cyl

TL * the contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. While driving approximately 65 mph, a glare appeared on the windshield that made it difficult to view the road. The glare was due to the dashboard melting. The contact stated that the dashboard was also sticky. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 52,000. Jcc upfdated 09/16/14 updated 1/13/2015

- Sunrise, FL, USA