CarComplaints.com Notes: An increasing number of Toyotas are experiencing excessive oil consumption and the 2007 Camry seems to be leading the charge.

Owners are reporting that their engines are deprived of oil halfway through their maintenance schedules and in some cases the damage is so bad that entirely new engines need to be installed, paid out of pocket. The issue may be a result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

Toyota has issued a TSB for this problem, but maintains their stance that vehicles equipped with a 2AZ-FE engine are burning through a “normal” amount of oil.

2007 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Camry:

2007 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 7 of 10)

Apr 012013

Camry 4-cyl

2007 Toyota Camry. Consumer writes in regards to engine malfunction and seeks financial assistance for repairs from manufacturer. The consumer stated due to excessive oil consumption, the dealer informed her, the vehicle needed a new engine, or she could add a quart of oil every week. Although, she has complied with the maintenance standards, Toyota decided to ignore what was seemingly a manufacturing defect. Toyota did offer $1500 towards a nearly $6,300 new engine was unacceptable. The consumer stated the excessive oil consumption problem dated back to April 2013, when the oil pan light illuminated and continued to illuminate every two months.

- Brandywine, MD, USA

Apr 012011

Camry

I noticed when applying sudden brakes low engine oil light came on but it went away when brakes were released. I thought it may be time for oil change and got oil change done shortly. That problem didn't came back till few months later. I had my oil change done from the dealer and the service was not due yet so I went to the nearby auto shop and they told me it didn't show any oil in the dipstick so they did the oil change and filled it up(no visible problem noticed). I thought I will get it inspected with the dealer on my next visit. Next time when I went to dealer I mentioned it and they were too busy to check that but they did visual inspection and didn't see any problem or leaks. Again after same issue they told me to come after 1200 miles after oil change but they didn't find any problem. I had to carry the oil with me just in case as the nearby auto place told me it was abnormal. I had to top it up again shortly as the dip stick showed no oil. I complained to the dealer again and they told me to come back after 2500 miles and they sealed the knob with silicon or something so it cannot be tampered with and they told me to come on weekday so they can talk to the Toyota engineer. When I returned they tested it and found normal consumption and no problem found. I am still facing that problem and I called Toyota hotline and they told me that they would go by the dealers opinion on that and there was no known problem on the vehicle. When I read these posts on this website then it definitely seems like a problem and now my vehicle is not under warranty either. My engine is still fine, only problem is I have to change oil too frequently. If something happens to engine in future I definitely hope Toyota will cover it since they haven't identified any problem on my engine after so many visits.

- Houston, TX, USA

Nov 152013

Camry 6-cyl

Vvti oil line rupture 2007 Toyota Camry w/ V6 engine we purchased this new at a local Toyota dealer. My wife is the primary driver w/ myself as the only other occasional driver. The vehicle has received regular maintenance although not at the dealership where purchased. Vehicle, at time of incident (11-15-13), had 50,893 miles. When my wife returned home from shopping she saw a trail of oil up the driveway and into the garage. The oil trail appeared to begin down the street near our home. When we restarted the engine, oil gushed from the passenger side of the V-6 engine. I checked the oil level and it was about 1 1/2 - 2 quarts low. Our Toyota uses no oil between oil changes. Oil had sprayed all over the passenger side of the engine, the undercarriage, and some of the exhaust system. An internet search revealed a vvti oil line problem with certain Toyota vehicles w/ a V-6 engine. A short rubber section of external engine oil line would leak or rupture. Ours ruptured with-out any warning lights or alarms. The next morning we had it towed to the dealership where purchased and they repaired and verified that the problem was the vvti oil line. They told me that the repair was not covered by Toyota and we had to pay. I found out Toyota did have a lsc 90-K phase two campaign that did cover this but it had expired. We were unaware of the problem. I called and complained to 2 levels of Toyota then wrote the office of the president torrance, ca. But they all said letters were sent out and the campaign had expired March 31, 2013. The president's office did offer a limited refund for future parts or service at Toyota dealers. This problem still exists and Toyota should not have an expiration date for repairing this serious problem. This problem can cause fires and ruin engines. Fortunately we only lost a small amount of oil and that shouldn't have damaged our engine.

- Springfield, IL, USA

Jul 182012

Camry 4-cyl

2007 Toyota Camry has excessive oil consumption. Car using approximately 1.75 quarts for every 500 miles driven. Toyota acknowledges problem in tsb 0094-11 but will not allow any warranty repair to be performed my car is now out of the 6 yr 60,000 mile warranty they require it to be to fix the. Repair cost is in excess of $3000 to properly correct the problem Toyota needs to extent the years and millage to try to fix more of the affected cars they admitted there is a engine piston design flaw causing this problem.

- Anniston, AL, USA

Nov 182013

Camry 4-cyl

Started my car, noticed oil lamp came on then off. Proceeded to drive and oil lamp light flashed again. Oil light came on at least a total of 5 times. Came to traffic light, came to a soft stop to observe traffic before attempting to turn right. Car then shut off and all indicators were on, such as, battery, engine light, oil light, and air bag. I proceeded to restart car. No problem with restart, oil light never came on again. I took car to Toyota dealership service department to find out why vehicle shut down and due to fear! Toyota employee told me they would do a diagnostic on my vehicle free of charge to find cause of shut down. Please note, I did an oil change Oct.15, 2013 and Nov 18, 2013 car shut down! after arriving at a Toyota dealership to have my car checked to find out why it simply shut down, then all of a sudden there was no time to do a check to find out what caused my car to shut down without warning. The manager gave me a very simple reason as to why and what caused it to shut down. Manager told me I have an oil leak inside the engine of my car. Manager stated I didn't have to buy a new engine, but I needed to do a 100-500 oil dip stick check. Why was the dip stick down to nothing in the first place" why was there no oil in my car" technician never put oil in my car. Toyota is responsible for damage to engine as a result of their mishandling of vehicle and making false statements regarding me. Toyota is responsible for stress on of my Toyota 2007 Camry engine. My life and that of others at risk because of Toyota..

- Orlando, FL, USA

Oct 242013

Camry 4-cyl

I'm returning home from work and driving on a freeway with 60mph limit. I remember driving at 45mph and maintained a very good distance from the vehicle in front of me. The vehicle in front of me tried to slowed down and that prompted me to apply the brakes. All of a sudden brakes failed and couldn't control the car to stop. The car just skidded and hit the van with big force. Luckily the vehicle in front of me is a shuttle and no passengers injured. Engine and front part damaged very bad and I myself hit my face to the steering wheel. I cut my lip and hit on my nose very bad. I still recovering from injuries. Though the crash is so bad, air bags didn't deploy and resulted injuries on me. The police and others who tried to help me wondered why the air bags didn't deploy. All these days I'm trying to recover from the injuries and couldn't send this complaint over. I got the website reference after checking with my insurance company. Could you please help me on this? thank you in advance.

- Redmond, WA, USA

Apr 072012

Camry 4-cyl

I bought this car new and have had nothing but trouble since leaving the lot. Biggest issue being in April 2012 began having issues with car burning/loosing oil. Car would loose 1 quart or more with in 200 miles. Have taken it to mechanicsville Toyota on different occasions and had a oil consumption test done only to be told I need to replace the motor and it is not covered under warranty not only due to mileage but not being a loyal customer and not having my service work done there. My husband is a mechanic and has done all the service work by the book. My issues happen at various speeds where the car will jerk, shake, accelerate and decelerate while the ABS light, traction control light comes on and the check engine light comes on and will blink well over 20 times before staying lit. I had to drive around with a case of oil in my car never knowing when I would need to add. I have had to borrow a car from my family as I no longer feel safe driving this one. It can at any given moment leave me or just stall while driving. I have kept detailed notes from going back and forth to the dealer. As you can see by the other complaints this is a know problem with Toyota with the piston rings/seals, etc. Even though I know my ar is no longer covered under warranty, I feel Toyota being such a well known company and harping about safety should step up and do something with or without government assistance, and do something about this. I know I will never buy another Toyota vehicle as they do not stand behind them.

- Warsaw, VA, USA

Sep 302013

Camry 4-cyl

I purchased a 2007 Toyota Camry new in 2007 ( this is my 5th Toyota) and religious follow the suggested maintenance Toyota recommends. After approximately 50 K miles the engine started burning oil and the engine became very noisy. The car currently uses about a quart every 1200 miles. I took my vehicle to the dealer and they said there is no problem with the engine. From what I read on the safercar.gov, edmunds.com websites and the consumeraffairs.org website there is a design problem with the engine as acknowledged in Toyota service bulletin T-sb-0094-11 issued 8/11/2011. www.rav4world.com/tsb/2011/T-sb-0094-11.pdf. basically stating "the piston assembly needs to be changed" (of course as an original owner of this engine and vehicle I was never notified).I can see by other filed complaints that this is a widespread problem. Personal impact aside, this is a vehicle and environmental safety issue. I put almost as much oil in the car every week as I do gasoline. The additional emissions caused by the oil burning is being offset partially by the emission control system, but only partially, and eventually will fail to filter it out altogether. I urge NHTSA to take action and raise this to recall status..

- Woodstock, IL, USA

Sep 282013

Camry 4-cyl

I was driving my Toyota Camry SE 2007 with my family in the car, we were in the freeway and for no apparent reason it caught fire, it is a complete loss..

- Pomona, CA, USA

Jan 012012

Camry 4-cyl

Due to faulty engineering design the car is burning excessive engine oil and has a service bulletin that covers the car up to 60,000 miles only. The engine can fail at any time due to lack of engine oil and the catalitic converter will clog up and be putting out excessive exhaust fumes to the environment. My vehicle was purchased new and now has 149,000 miles on it and it burns more then 1 quart of oil every 1200 miles and its getting worse every day its driven. I know it is self destructing. Toyota admits the engine pistons were not designed properly.

- Newton Falls, OH, USA

Apr 072011

Camry

My vehicle is consuming oil in extreme quantities, a quart every 800-1000 miles. The problem is manufacturers defective pistons and piston rings and Toyota knows about it but denies to take action. I have to fill my engine with the oil every 2800 miles or so or take it to the dealership for oil change. My engine, I'm afraid will defect in driving causing harm to me and others around me because I don't follow my mileage and only way I know there is a problem my oil light flashes on and off when I'm braking that's the sign that I have to get oil change. Now its not environmental either even though Toyota claims that environmental protection is coming out their ears all the time when that much oil is burned into the air and funny thing is it doesn't even smoke in tail pipe and vehicle passes every emission test. How"?" I don't know. All I know is that my engine is not working properly due to no fault of my own and due to manufacturer defaulted parts because I was told by service guy that other year Toyota have different pistons and piston rings and I assume it would be right for our cars to receive those because we paid full amount for these cars and we shouldn't receive short end of the stick. I ask you to push this for a recall because Toyota owns this to its owners. Thank you.

- Chicago , IL, USA

Aug 012009

Camry 4-cyl

Owned 2007 Camry since new, noticed initially that car burned oil and thought it was part of 'break-in' period. As time went by it progressively got worse; now at 176,000 miles it's burning about half quart every1200 miles. There are no leaks and car is not smoking. I've taken it to dealer during service appointments and mentioned it, was told it was 'normal'. I also own a '94 Toyota pickup with 249K on it; other than the starter which failed 3 years ago it's pretty much original. No leaks or burning oil and gets better gas mileage than the Camry even though they're both 4 cylinders. It all boils down to quality control, once Toyota made it to the top a few years ago they've gone downhill since. Taking this car back to dealer for this issue and let's see what they'll say. Never buying new Toyota's again.

- Vallejo, CA, USA

Feb 232012

Camry 6-cyl

I have a 2007 Toyota Camry.. I have had my recalls fixed. But now it is doing the same thing again.. the other day my brakes would not hold I thought I was going to hit the car in the front of me and my child was in the car with me... then when I start to take off it sounds like that it is trying to go into gear. And it revs up and I have took it in to dealership and they cant seem to find out what is wrong with it and of course I am at the end of my warranty. The other day it would barley pull up a hill.

- Dahlonega, GA, USA

Jan 222013

Camry 4-cyl

Approximately 10K miles ago I noticed that the oil light on my 2007 Camry came on approximately 1,000 miles before the scheduled oil change *(scheduled every 5000 miles). I refilled it and it took over three quarts of oil. When I took it into the dealer for its oil change, I mentioned it. Nothing was said and the oil change proceeded. The next oil change cycle, the same thing happened. I did some internet research and found numerous threads on reputable boards (example: townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.F1848aa) which showed that I did not experience an isolated incident. There is a Toyota tsb covering this problem, and newer engines have redesigned pistons: T-sb-0094-11. I have used the dealer since day 1 to service the Toyota, and they concealed the fact that this car was burning oil throughout the years (jiffy lube reports the oil levels removed from my 1996 Bronco, which may use a 1/2 quart in 3K miles). I started an oil consumption test 1000 miles ago - Toyota stated today that the car used 'approximately 1/2 quart in 1105 miles' which is 'normal consumption per Toyota.' It is only a matter of time before an engine seizes (due to excessive oil consumption) on an interstate, in an intersection, crossing a train track, or passing a vehicle on a country road resulting in a fatal accident. Is it necessary for a fatal accident to occur before Toyota is forced to correct their design flaw?

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Jul 232013

Camry

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that the pulley for the water pump failed and caused the serpentine belt to fail as well. The contact stated that the vehicle did not over heat prior to the failure. The pulley was rattling and making noise prior to the failure. The vehicle had not been taken to the dealer. The VIN was not available. The failure and current mileages were 74,000.

- Columbia, MD, USA

Jul 302012

Camry 4-cyl

Excessive oil consumption. I have observed excessive oil consumption between oil changes the oil lamp glows showing there is more than normal oil consumption. Toyota dealers have run tests but have failed to identify problem or suggest a solution.

- Edison , NJ, USA

Nov 012010

Camry

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that the engine consumed oil prematurely. The vehicle was taken to the dealer several times for the failure. The dealer stated that the oil consumption was not great but there was not a cause to be alarmed; however, the engine gasket was replaced. The failure was not corrected. The engine continued to consumer oil prematurely. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that the a technical service bulletin was issued for the premature oil consumption. The failure mileage was 90,818. The current mileage was 140,000.

- Ashtabula, OH, USA

Jul 012013

Camry 4-cyl

The engine was making a rattling noise, especially at start up and acceleration. I took the car to the dealer and was informed that the engine needs to be replaced and that the car is unsafe to drive, as the engine might seize up. Fortunately, I caught it before that happened. Toyota has a service bulletin out on this issue T-sb-0094-11; they knew there is a problem but never notified vehicle owners and the local dealer never performed the inspection test called for in the bulletin. In addition, there have been a number of complaints filed on this with NHTSA and hundreds more posted on the internet. There are two safety issues: Engine failure while driving and Toyota's disregard for safety, by not informing owners of the issue.

- Sanford, NC, USA

Jun 032013

Camry 6-cyl

Due to a defect in the design of a hose, a leak developed in this hose and almost all of the oil leaked out of the engine. No warning light went on. We noticed abnormal noises coming out of the engine and brought the car to our local mechanic. We spent $400 with them as they diagnosed and tried to fix the problem. Unfortunately after spending this money they are unable to get the car to start. It is very likely the car has suffered substantial engine damage and any future diagnosis and repairs could result in thousands of dollars or repairs. This defect has resulted in catastrophic failure to the engine of our car. Presently our car is inoperable and sitting in our parking lot. We are not in a position to spend money to fix a problem that is clearly due to bad design and inferior parts by Toyota. In doing extensive research on the internet, we found out this is a known defect with this oil hose. This is clearly the fault of Toyota and not us and many other Toyota customers. We contacted Toyota and they refused to do anything unless we paid to have the car towed to them and pay them to diagnose the problem. This is a major safety problem, having an engine fail on a highway at high speeds or locally could cause significant injury. In spite of our contact with Toyota, they are refusing to do the right thing and fix our car. Other Toyota owners are currently at risk as if their engine fails in transit significant injury or death can occur to a car when the engine fails.

- Port Washington, NY, USA

Mar 192013

Camry 4-cyl

In March 2013, I took my car to my dealer for a scheduled oil change and also because I had noticed a ticking noise under the hood. The service technician stated that because it was a rainy day, he could not hear the ticking noise during his test drive. I was still concerned, and asked him if he was sure it was ok for me to continue driving it because I heard the noise every time I took off from a stop. He said it was fine to drive and to bring it back in if the noise continues. In May 2013, at 64,756 miles, I brought the car in again because the ticking noise was continuing and seemingly getting louder. A different technician checked it, and afterwards I received the devastating news that my car experienced "internal engine failure" and needed the engine replaced. I was given some price estimates for used engines, none of which were warrantied for more than a year. When I informed them of my inability to afford an engine replacement, Toyota suggested that my car undergo an oil consumption test by my dealer, which I did. After 1,000 miles, the dealer determined the car was not burning oil excessively. Toyota then offered no further assistance; the dealer then offered me a discount on the engine replacement. In all the years I owned the car, the check engine light had never once come on. (the only other issue I had with the vehicle was a water pump failure on 5/22/2012, which was replaced at 56,891 miles.) I have all documentation showing that timely oil changes were performed for the entire life of the vehicle.

- Drexel Hill, PA, USA