CarComplaints.com Notes: An increasing number of Toyotas are experiencing excessive oil consumption and the 2007 Camry seems to be leading the charge.

Owners are reporting that their engines are deprived of oil halfway through their maintenance schedules and in some cases the damage is so bad that entirely new engines need to be installed, paid out of pocket. The issue may be a result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

Toyota has issued a TSB for this problem, but maintains their stance that vehicles equipped with a 2AZ-FE engine are burning through a “normal” amount of oil.

2. rebuild engine or check oil frequently (30 reports)
  3. replace engine (24 reports)
  4. Toyota Canada's head office told me that it is acceptable fo (8 reports)
  5. replace piston assembly (3 reports)
  6. dealer said it's normal (2 reports)
2007 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Camry:

2007 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 2 of 9)

Jun 102009

Camry LE 2.4L

I finally took a car loan out and bought a used 39k, previously leased 2007 Camry back in 2009. Soon after I started to notice I was burning oil every 1000 miles. Of course, car companies put everything in their manuals that covers themselves with 'acceptable'. Really? I thought for about one second that maybe with new engines, they may run different, but I snapped back to reality. I never had an engine burn oil like this. Even my old V8, 80's engine with 150k never burned like this. No one had an answer except my father who said the piston rings have to be worn. By 80k miles, I was at about a quart every 500 miles, and quickly it became every 200. Now let's face it, Toyota was not going to recall this problem because it would bankrupt them at a point when they had the defective runaway Camry's. This job costs at least a few thousand each engine. The funny part is my mother had a 2007 rav4 and reported worse consumption than my Camry at the same mileage. Now my father received a notice of a possible recall for this. Funny because it has been so long that the engines are coincidentally out of warranty or had to be repaired by the owners. Now, my spark plugs are being affected to where oil is getting on them. I refuse to pay to fix this car for their defective machining work. The car has been great besides this major defect. I have changed out very little on the car, but its not worth me paying close to $3k for their mistake at 127k miles. It sucks to finish a 5yr car loan and need a new car shortly after the final payment. Engines don't burn oil, they burn gas. Thanks for tarnishing my opinions on your reputation for quality Toyota. If I buy a newer one, I'm going for a 1k mile test drive first!

- , Hampden, MA, USA

Jul 012010

Camry XLE 2.4L

I was almost due for an oil change, so I decided just to check my levels in my car and realized that oil was very low, barely reading on the oil stick. I've had many cars over the years and never had a car that consumed this much oil between services. Thinking I may be leaking oil, I wasn't, never an oil spot in my drive way. Where is the oil going? Its the craziest thing I have ever experienced with a vehicle... Which surprised me from the simple fact that this vehicle is a Toyota. My solution for this has been to just check the engine frequently between oil changes and add a few quarts. If there ever ends up being a fix I would love to know what that is.

- , Fresno, CA, USA

Aug 082013

Camry SE 4 cyl

Driving home from work one night....low oil light comes on. Pulled over and checked the dipstick.... not even touching. 2 quarts in and just made it to the bottom of the dipstick.

Suddenly went from using no oil between 5,000 miles changes to 4 quarts. Brought it to dealer for oil consumption test just before extended warranty was to expire... after 1,200 miles, they said oil usage was normal.

More than a year and a half later nearing 100,000 miles, still losing 4 quarts of oil between changes. Complained again to Toyota. They offered consumption test again and this time, if something is wrong, I'd have to pay for the repair since no longer in warranty.

Our other car of another Japanese manufacturer with over 110,000 doesn't use a drop between 7,500 mile oil changes.

- , La Canada, CA, USA

Sep 012014

Camry LE 4 Cl

Uses over a qt of oil every 300 miles or so. Otherwise runs fine. No smoke or dripping. Dealer was no help, said is normal.

- , Chesapeake Beach, MD, USA

Oct 202010

Camry SE 2.4V4

This is my first new car purchase and it is so bad experience!

Start from 30k miles, the engine consumes one qt oil every 1300 miles.

I was told by dealer that it is normal. I just keep watch the oil level frequently and adding oil frequently.

- , Cherry Hill, NJ, USA

Jan 072013

Camry CE 2.4L V4

I had this excessive oil consumption issue in Jan 2013. I found this issue because when I press the brake then I saw a light is on the meter side. Then I checked the car manual and it says the oil level is low, and I checked the oil level and it was too low to see the oil. After being home, I added 2 QTs oil and can see the oil. I called local Toyota dealer and they said they could do a test. I went there and changed oil, they told me to come back after 1200 miles. Then in March 2013, when I drove my Camry '07 to the dealer and they checked and said 2.5 QTs low on the oil and they gave me a price of $1400 for checking what kind issue it will be, then will give a cost to fix it.

I did lots of investigation on Google and found this is a common issue for 2007 Camry. And some people just added oil regularly and never fixed the issue, so I did the same thing. Today I got a letter from Toyota Motor Sales USA Inc, and they say that they will address this issue and ask me to contact the local dealer to have this issue fixed.

So this is a good news for folks who have been suffering this issue. Good luck every one.

- , Willow Grove, PA, USA

Jan 082014

Camry LE 4 cyl

I fell like I work hard and did without a lot to pay for a car, insurance and maintenance and then it starts using oil. Companies don't care about the consumer. That is too much money to pay and soon as you get it paid for you have to get another one. I can't do that. I feel like the company should make things right. I have been looking online to see about recalls. They are saying this problem with using oil is normal at 82000. If you thought you were paying $20000 for a car that was going to last 82000, would you buy it?

- , Pineville, KY, USA

Sep 302014

Camry XLE

I had my car in the dealership for routine maintenance at about 68,000 miles. They told me it was burning oil at a higher than normal rate but didn't offer any explanation. I thought it was odd since I've never had a car before that burned oil (I usually keep my cars 10 yr/100,000 mi). I kept my eye on the oil level after that, sure enough, no leak, but oil level going down.

I got on YouTube to see how to add oil and VOILA! all these complaints about 2007 Camrys burning excessive oil. I now see that the dealer probably knew about the problem when they told me to keep an eye on my oil level. I had to add a quart of oil after about 3000 miles. Evidently from what I've been reading about others, it only gets worse. GRRRRRR....I just recently became disabled and had hoped to keep the car the rest of my life!! I bought a 100,000 mi 10 year warranty when I bought the car, so we'll see how discussing coverage with this dealer goes when I bring it up to them!! Ha, ha....can't wait for that discussion!

- , Ft Worth, TX, USA

Feb 012014

Camry V6

The oil has been disappearing w/no stains on the ground for years. Dealership said it must be a pin hole. Other times told me it was normal. Not w/Honda or other cars I've checked with.

- , Owings, MD, USA

Nov 032014

Camry LX 2.4

I noticed last month my oil light came on on my 2007 Camry. Added oil and a week later added more.

I checked just this week and there is no oil at all in engine. No notice from Toyota about this problem.

We understood that this is a common problem with Camry, however unlike Camry all other cars in this country it only consumes gas not oil. Bad product. THIS WILL BE OUR LAST TOYOTA.

Update from Dec 30, 2014: I noticed last month that my oil light came on on my 2007 Camry. I added oil then added it for one more week. I checked this week and there is no oil AT ALL in my engine. No notice from Toyota about this problem. We soon understood that this was a common problem with Camry, however, unlike Camry, all of the other cars in this country only consume gas, not oil. BAD product. THIS WILL BE OUR LAST TOYOTA!

- , Irving, TX, USA

Jul 312013

Camry LE 2.4L

Car consumed one quart of oil per 350 miles with no leaks or drips on ground. Complete diagnostic done by a quality engine rebuild shop. Exhaust gases were fine and passes PA state emissions inspection fine. Compression tests done. Then, with dipstick removed, high-pressure air is coming out dipstick tube. Conclusion: piston rings were installed upside-down (or wrong type of piston ring) by the factory, so as to make air come out dipstick tube. The 2AZ-FE 4cylinder engine is notorious. I traded the car for a Toyota Avalon. Although I generally trust Toyota (I own 4) I should have researched this model before buying it. The estimate for the engine rebuild was $3300.

- , Kenai, AK, USA

Nov 142013

Camry LE 4 cyl

I have to check my oil frequently, even between oil changes. I usually get my oil replaced every 5,000 miles. My oil light comes on stating that the oil is low, even if I just had an oil changed recently.

- , Baltimore, MD, USA

Dec 012012

Camry 2.5L

My Toyota Camry 2007 consumes too much engine oil, it's too ridiculous..

- , Laurel, MD, USA

Aug 182014

I glad I came across this site! I keep telling the dealership something wrong. They claims there's no leakage. My car consumes so much oil that I keep an quart in the car as well. I do not even travel with the vehicle! This is my third Camry and by far the worst. My warranty just expire over 500 miles but I been complain about the problem! I need to trade in asap! I love Camry but not this model.

- , Richmond, VA, USA

Oct 012013

Camry LE 4 cyl

This is the worse vehicle I have every purchased even though it was the first new one I had ever purchased. I was told by the manufacturer that it was normal for my vehicle to consume as much oil as it has been. even my old vehicles didn't consume oil as such. Toyota is just making excuse so they won't have to fix a problem they created in the first place. I WILL NEVER PURCHASE ANOTHER TOYOTA PRODUCT.

It's sad and a shame that they issued a service bulletin because they knew there was a problem but won't allow it to go as far as fixing it on them. I think when they created these models, this was the dummy model. Also the dashboard gets hot and sticky. If you try to clean it off, whatever you are using will stick to it. If your nail hits it, it takes a plug out of the dash board. Come on Toyota you can do better.

I am so disappointed in you all.

- , Winter Haven, FL, USA

Oct 182013

We bought a brand new 2007 Toyota Camry from Toyota dealership...suddenly Last year on 10/18/2013 about 1 month after we have an scheduled oil-change the engine light was on and the engine sounded rocking even-though this car is my wifes car just for her commuting for work about 6 miles a day round trip and very few mile around the town...then we checked for the engine oil level...surprisingly it was emptied.

We didn't know what was going on in that point. We then called Toyota dealer to make an appointment for oil-change and reported the symptom to the manager then after they did the oil-change and sealed the lead with a tag and the manager told us don't touch it or do anything just bring it back when odometer get 1200 miles...We brought the car back and the oil was emptied again...even though my wife didn't drive it much and the car just has 43000 miles on it. we're very upset and the manager again said" because you don't have an extending coverage for the car then it is your responsibility to pay for whatever it cost..." We are(four of us) barely surviving with one income...we were relied on the trade-mark of Toyota..but now they are making us very frustrating and disappointing for the costing like it. What should we do ?

- , Tigard, OR, USA

Aug 122012

I used to equate Toyota with quality. The first one I bought, a 2007 Camry, is using a quart of oil every 1000 miles. And per the message boards I've read, Toyota doesn't give a sh*t. This will be the first and LAST Toyota in my driveway.

- , Graham, NC, USA

Oct 012014

Camry LE 2.4L

I have a Toyota Camry LE that I bought new. I have started noticing oil consumption in the last 2 years. I thought at first that I did not add enough oil when I changed the oil. I used 4.5 quarts and the dip stick was in the half range mark.

The car runs OK so far and I check the oil level every week.

I do believe this is a problem. I have no obvious leaks nor blue smoke.

Toyota, you lost me as a customer for ever. Sayonara.

If you do not really send letters to owners admitting your incompetence then you are done TOYOTA.

Update from Feb 25, 2015: NO update.

Update from Jun 1, 2015: I went to the toyota dealer in rochester mn and they did the oil consumption test. What a joke!.. they said oh th is a quart each 1200 miles and this is within the limits. Bull CRAP!... I will drive the car until it dies but i will never buy a toyota again. Please spread the word.

- , Rochester, MN, USA

Dec 012013

Camry LE 2.4L 4 cyl

I would like to reply to every ones complaint about the oil consumption issues on the 2.4 4 cyl. Toyota engines.

We own a 2007 Toyota Camry, purchased it at 44,000 miles, at about 70,000 miles we noticed it consuming larger than, I consider normal oil consumption. Upon my research and complaints to Toyota. I find the problem to be the ring lands on the piston are a very tight tolerance. Due to this is, any little bit of carbon build up will bind the oil rings into the piston, not allowing the ring to contact the cylinder wall fully to scrape the oil off the cylinder walls as they are designed to do. This allows that oil that remains on the cylinder wall to then be burned off causing oil to be consumed more rapidly.

I decided to try an age old product called Sea-Foam that I truly love for all sorts of engine problems. I poured half of the bottle in gas tank (Full tank). And the other half bottle into the oil reservoir. Drove the car for a week and then changed the oil. After that have been closely monitoring oil level on the vehicle. I can happily report now after driving it 1400 miles, it has not consumed any oil. That is a big fat ZERO oil. Spread the word, I don't guarantee this to fix every ones oil issue. But it has ours! What do you have to lose. A bottle of Sea-Foam is $10.

- , Madison, OH, USA

Aug 152014

Camry SE 2.4L

I own a 2007 Toyota Camry, with 144,918 miles on it. I noticed about 10,000 miles ago that it started to go through a lot of oil. I thought I may have had a serious oil leak, but could never see any on the ground or on any hard surfaces where we parked. Found no gasket leaks or any problems in that respect. Checked the tailpipe and found that it was COAL BLACK. That leads me to believe that that is where my oil is going..

- , Hart, MI, USA