CarComplaints.com Notes: An increasing number of Toyotas are experiencing excessive oil consumption and the 2007 Camry seems to be leading the charge.

Owners are reporting that their engines are deprived of oil halfway through their maintenance schedules and in some cases the damage is so bad that entirely new engines need to be installed, paid out of pocket. The issue may be a result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

Toyota has issued a TSB for this problem, but maintains their stance that vehicles equipped with a 2AZ-FE engine are burning through a “normal” amount of oil.

7.8

$1,914.00

2. rebuild engine or check oil frequently (36 reports)
  3. replace engine (26 reports)
  4. Toyota Canada's head office told me that it is acceptable fo (7 reports)
  5. replace piston assembly (3 reports)
  6. dealer said it's normal (2 reports)
2007 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Camry:

2007 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 2 of 11)

May 202015

Camry LE 4 cyl

DO NOT buy a Toyota!! Here is my situation. I have a 2007 Toyota Camry 4 cyl. My vehicle not only got an extremely sticky dashboard which I blamed Safelite auto glass for but it also started burning oil in between oil changes. My vehicle was paid off and out of warranty & who takes their vehicle to get work done to it at a Toyota dealership when it's a 2007. I had every recall taken care of as soon as I received it at the Toyota dealership & also kept up with all of the maintenance on my vehicle at a certified mechanic shop. I have all of my service records & witnesses. The end of last year my vehicle started burning an excessive amount of oil in between oil changes. I ended up taking it to the mechanic & he was adding oil in between oil changes stating it was normal for it to burn oil because of the mileage. They also went with a thicker oil to try to get it to improve. I was also carrying oil in the trunk of my car & adding it whenever it started getting low. Well my car overheated & cracked my head gasket. After going onto Toyotas website & typing my VIN number in, it states there aren't any recalls or service campaigns for my vehicle. So I didn't think anything of it. I started saving money up to have my engine replaced so it's been sitting for months. After realizing I couldn't possibly afford it, I went online to get blue book values to sell it at an auction. Come to find out there was not one but 2 warranty enhancements or something like that covering my dashboard as well as my engine burning oil. They are trying to state something was mailed to me even though I know if I would have received anything I would have had it fixed immediately being that it is my only car. After contacting an attorney in California who had a class action lawsuit against Toyota, he stated to me that nothing was mailed out to customers. After contacting not only a Toyota dealership but Toyota service, they both ran my Vin number and it shows the warranty enhancement for both problems. Unfortunately customers did not have access to this unless they called the dealership. The lady at Toyota service stated to me the only way they would replace anything to do with my engine is if an oil consumption test can be run, well my engine is burned up because my head gasket cracked because of overheating because of excessive oil consumption. So basically at this point I have no other choice to pursue this further. I will never buy another Toyota again. If my car was being worked on by a certified mechanic and I have service records proving all of my recalls and maintenance was done on my vehicle, then they should honor that. I have pages and pages of complaints from Toyota owners stating the same things were happening to their vehicles. They claim paperwork was sent to me for the dashboard as well as the engine but I never received anything and according to the attorney, nothing was sent to customers. I need to locate an attorney I guess. I don't know what to do at this point. I have recorded the conversations between myself and 2 Toyota dealerships as well as the conversation with Toyota corporation. Any info or suggestions or attorneys that will help me, please don't hesitate to contact me. I just want my car fixed. That's all.

- , Denham Springs, LA, USA

Jun 082016

Camry 2.4L Ez7

Toyotas so called warranty enhancement for oil consumption is not getting rid all solution. my car was burning oil so they replaced only the RINGS and pistons now my car is still burning OIL and smokes badly once started up. The problem is they did not replace' the Valve guides which causes it to smoke so it is still burning oil and smoking. Smoking now worse than ever!

- , Grain Valley, MO, USA

Dec 202011

Camry LE

I informed my Toyota Service Department about the oil consumption issue in 2011 and was told that it was normal. I continued to put oil in my Camry until I received notification from Toyota about the possibility of excessive oil consumption. I parked the car that very day and waited for eleven months for the next notification that the car could now be tested. I went through their process,at a different dealership,only to be told that my car passes. What a load of bull. I was told that the car could be tested again after another 5 thousand miles of burning our natural resources in excess.

My last three new car purchases were all Toyota's but I think that they have lost my business forever more after this issue.

- , Albemarle, NC, USA

Apr 102016

Camry 4

Engine started knocking so vehicle has been parked and not driven since! Now as I'm researching I see that others are having the same issue!

- , South Plymouth, NY, USA

Apr 012015

Camry LE 4 cyl

I have to add a quart of oil almost every 2 weeks of driving usually 1.5 to 2 quarts between oil changes at 5000mi. Problem started at about 115000 miles.

- , Finksburg, MD, USA

Apr 082016

Camry ES

just want to know if other Toyota cars have same problem

- , Artesia, CA, USA

Apr 092016

Camry

Well we had been putting synthetic oil bc we had high mileage on our vehicle and it seemed to keep burning faster than usual. We were 1,500 miles away from the 'change your oil' sticker and the car just stopped working. The motor seemed to lock up and we now have to replace it.

- , San Antonio, TX, USA

Jan 042016

Camry LE 2.4L

I have taken excellent care of my car. Imagine my chagrined about two months ago when I discovered that the engine was burning oil at about 2 qts every 1,200 miles. My mechanic, familiar with this problem, did a few inexpensive things to see if we could put a finger in the dike. Helped a bit, but I still check the oil frequently and add 1/2 to 1 qt of oil every 1200 miles. I expected to keep this car for a long time; I'll continue to put in oil regularly, but I'm considering a replacement car purchase soon.

- , Gurnee, IL, USA

Sep 162009

Camry LE Tech 4

Toyota of North Charlotte has told me repeatedly that the oil consumption was normal and/or the fault of my driving habits. It has gotten even worse over 100K miles.

- , Hunters, NC, USA

Apr 302013

Camry

I have an issue of excessive engine oil burning. I kept on going for oil change as my indicator would always show oil level as low. One day I got a letter from Toyota to get it checked as it may be an inherent issue. I went to bill page Toyota. As per the dealer there is an issue and I am eligible for getting it fixed. It has been few months since the test and the dealer is not helping me to get the problem fixed. Now he is not picking up my calls. I am not sure what to do. The dealer had earlier told me that they will call me and get the problem fixed . But they are neither calling nor picking up my calls. Once when the call went through, the service manager showed impatience and did not answer my questions. He gave curt reply, like " what I can do, I will let you know in time" I am not sure where to go now. Because if I go to another dealer/service I will have to repeat the test again . Kindly help and advice.

- , Falls Church, VA, USA

Aug 172015

Camry

This problem is quite annoying because I have to check the oil permanently.

- , Lawrenceville, GA, USA

Jul 162015

Camry LE 2.4L

I purchased this car used and checked the oil. I called the dealer and they told me to just add a quart. I added the quart and I have been adding a quart every 1000 or so sense. Toyota is doing an oil consumption test now. I are not very willing to give me any information on what to expect next. IE how much oil it needs to burn to fail, and or what will happen if it does fail.

- , Fort Mohave, AZ, USA

Jun 012014

Camry LE 2.4L

Noticed oil consumption in 2014 around 80,000Km. It was out of Power train warranty by then. Initially it was about 1 liter every 4,000Km. Now it is 1 liter every 2,000Km. I believe this problem is due to bad piston and ring design. Disappointing quality from Toyota. In 2013 spent $1000 to fix the noisy water pump.

- , Calgary, AB, Canada

Oct 192015

Camry LE 2afe

I need to keep a watch frequently to make sure the correct oil level. Lost confidence on long trip/travel due to fear of oil level reduction. It burns my purse due to frequent oil top ups.

- , Lilburn, USA

Dec 152015

Camry ES 2.4L

Excessive oil consumption I have to check every other day . It's alarming to know there is a problem like that and the corporations are ignoring the customers concerns . They need to do something yesterday time for recall . Not Duh Duh Duh we're not sure that's your problem . What happened to the reliability of the 1998 to 2000 Camry's .

- , Prattville, USA

Jan 012013

Camry LX V6

This 2007 Camry is ridiculously awful.......to many issues.......you always get the run around....no one to help or willing to rectify the situation......burn to much oil....I'm changing oil literally every month......THIS WAS THE BIGGEST MISTAKE I EVER DID BUYING TOYOTA.......SO MANY ISSUES THE CAR ALWAYS VIBRATE WHEN YOU SPEED ON HWY FROM DAY 1 I BOUGHT IT......OIL CONSUME TO MUCH.......SUN VISOR situation is to dangerous to drive..... I CAN'T WAIT TO CHANGE MY CAR TO DIFFERENT BRAND

- , Mississauga, ON, Canada

Jun 012015

Camry LX 2.2L

This is embarrassing for Toyota. I always thought that Toyota is #1 in quality. Never expected this to happen. Going back to Honda's

- , Seven Hills, OH, USA

Dec 222015

Camry

Has anyone had their 2007 Camry engine rebuilt due to oil consumption through the recall process? If so, is anyone having problems with the loud, awful vibration/sound after it has been rebuilt?

Please let me know.

- , Sac, CA, USA

Dec 012015

Camry LX V4

My car is 2007 toyota Camry .The engine is burning oil .

- , Columbia, MD, USA

May 012013

Camry SE 4 cyl

Toyota Camry sucks. I will be buying Ford next time.

- , Mentone, AL, USA