CarComplaints.com Notes: An increasing number of Toyotas are experiencing excessive oil consumption and the 2007 Camry seems to be leading the charge.

Owners are reporting that their engines are deprived of oil halfway through their maintenance schedules and in some cases the damage is so bad that entirely new engines need to be installed, paid out of pocket. The issue may be a result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

Toyota has issued a TSB for this problem, but maintains their stance that vehicles equipped with a 2AZ-FE engine are burning through a “normal” amount of oil.

8.0

$2,012.00

2. rebuild engine or check oil frequently (30 reports)
  3. replace engine (24 reports)
  4. Toyota Canada's head office told me that it is acceptable fo (8 reports)
  5. replaced with heavier oil grade (2 reports)
  6. dealer said it's normal (1 reports)
2007 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Camry:

2007 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 1 of 9)

Sep 202014

Camry ES 2.4L

The car has used oil since I bought it It had 140K miles on it and uses a quart every 300 or so miles

- , Lincolndale, NY, USA

Feb 062014

Camry LE 2.4L 4-cyl

I get engine oil light for an average of 3 thousand miles and I need to fill 1 qt engine oil. Initially I was scared and asked Toyota dealer to fix the problem. They came back and told me there is a oil leak Paid $1000 plus dollars and was repaired but the problem still exists. Now I store 1 or 2 qt of oil in my car trunk, fill when light appears and take it for servicing when due for oil change service. Overall I lost money on engine repair and very annoyed with this problem.

- , Ellicott City, USA

Apr 232015

Camry EX

I checked the oil on my 2007 Toyota Camry about a few weeks ago and found the oil barely at the tip of the stick. My oil car has not been dripping oil on the ground, none on the engine so I wonder what happen to the oil. I always get my oil changed on time. Toyota has always changed my oil but I was disappointed with the fact that ,almost no oil was in my car. I realize this can damage my engine. I bought this car brand new and made sure the oil was changed on time and here I am still running into defect that's not in my control. will they fix my car???

- , Phenix, AL, USA

Apr 162009

Camry LE 2.4L 4 cyl

After years and years of not only regularly changing my engine oil as recommended by Toyota and adding oil in between oil changes, I received a letter from Toyota a few moths ago stating that they had received some reports where vehicles may exhibit excessive engine oil consumption. The letter went on to say that they were currently preparing the necessary parts to implement a Warranty Enhancement Program, and that they anticipate it will take several months to build the necessary parts. Since I knew immediately that my Camry was definitely one of the vehicles experiencing this problem, I contacted one of my local Toyota dealerships to begin the engine oil consumption test. Apparently, this test would determine if my car would be eligible for warranty work once sufficient parts have been produced.

To make a long story short, my Camry failed the oil consumption test and will need to be repaired. No surprise there, but my problem with this whole mess is that we have no timetable, no explanation for what exactly will be repaired, how long it will take, etc. This is obviously a very serious problem and I feel like they need to fix this problem now. They did tell me that I am responsible (while I am waiting to get another letter from Toyota instructing me on what to do next) for making sure that my oil is not low or empty altogether and that if that were to happen, basically I would be responsible. I always check my oil levels anyway because I believe in keeping maintenance up to date on my car, but they know there is a problem with these engines so they need to fix them, period.

I bet if I were taking the car in and told them to put a new engine in it, they would gladly get it done and collect my $4000+ dollars, but those of us who own these vehicles with this problem just have to sit back and wait in the meantime. I am just very frustrated.

- , Richmond, VA, USA

Nov 012014

Camry LE 2.4L V4

Have to refill with about 3 quarts of oil between oil changes.

- , Yauco, Puerto Rico

Feb 022015

Camry LX 2.4L 4

I have a 2007 Toyota with excess oil consumption. Dealership says that I am not losing enough oil to qualify for Toyota's recall program. Do I have any recourse?

- , Ellington, CT, USA

Apr 182015

Camry LE 4

Toyota Grand Rapids refuses to repair. They said they haven't heard of any problem and won't fix unless I pay them for Toyota failings.

- , Lakeview, MI, USA

Jan 312015

Camry 2az-Fe, 2.4L Litre

Engine locked up at 5,400 miles since last oil change, substantially less than that since the last time I added oil. Toyota denied coverage for the piston defect that causes excess oil consumption because I was 400 miles over their criteria for assistance.

- , Bloomington, IN, USA

Jul 012013

Camry ES 3.2L

I PURCHASED A 2007 CAMRY 04/16/2007 from CHECKERED FLAG VA BEACH, VA. This CAMRY was my fourth one. I had all of my CAMRY'S service work done every 3000-5000 miles at the TOYOTA dealership. This means that they had 23 years of service records for me. I never neglected my duty to get the car serviced in a timely manner. Now, CHECKERED FLAG is coming up with all types of answers why they cannot fix my car.

- , Charles City, VA, USA

Jul 012014

Camry LE 2.4L

I bought 2007 Toyota Camry year ago. It was using up too much oil so we showed our mechanic and he said we will have to replace some engine stuff to fix that issue(leakage). I said OK, I spend roughly $1,000 to fix it.

It still continued doing it and so after receiving warranty enhancement from Toyota, I went to do testing. I knew my car was using more than necessary oil but today they told me that car failed the testing. It used more that 3 quart of oil in just 800 miles. Shocker. I told them to fix it and they said Toyota still hasn't come up with solution for it and can't fix my car now (which sucks since they know this issue and not caring about consumers). I asked for estimate to fix it and they told me $4,000...

After doing some research I find out that, according to lawsuit, Toyota knew about this issue and still sold damaged cars. Absolutely not happy with Toyota. I don't care that they sold damaged cars but hate it when they don't admit it or they don't fix the issue to affected consumers. Unless they fix my car I would NOT buy Toyota again and I would tell other people the same thing.

- , Glen Burnie, MD, USA

Aug 042014

Camry LE 2.4L (2az-Fe)

I checked my Camry's engine oil level after reading about the many excessive oil consumption complaints here. My dipstick was bone dry, but the low oil light never came on. I thought that the oil hasn't settled to the bottom yet, so I restarted the engine, and checked the oil again after 10 to 15 minutes. My oil level was so low, and I decided to do an unscheduled oil change to ensure that it's not a figment of my imagination.

From that time on, I checked my oil level whenever I pumped gas. I noticed that my oil level went down, and I had to add a quart for every 1,000 miles.

A few weeks ago, I received a "warranty enhancement" from Toyota for the excessive oil consumption issue. This extended warranty is VIN specific.

Toyota also has a technical service bulletin (TSB) for this problem. The TSB number is 0094-11, and it affects other Toyota models such as the Camry hybrid, Solara, RAV-4, and Corolla, among others.

- , Elk Grove, CA, USA

Oct 302014

Camry LE 4 cyl

I purchased the vehicle in October 2014 from a Toyota dealership in WA. Love the car, perfect fit for me. I went on a 320 mile drive for a weekend getaway two weeks later and went to leave and my oil light flashed. So I checked my oil and it wasn't reading on the dip stick. I filled it and went on my way.

I contacted the dealership and they had me come in to do an oil consumption test. In about 500 miles I used 1.7 quarts of oil. I had a meeting with the service department manager and he told me Toyota knows about the piston ring problem, but doesn't fix the cars with high mileage like mine. And they won't do a recall because this isn't a safety issue. I did an oil consumption test for them to just tell me the mileage was too high to fix the problem. It's a pain in the ass, and frustrating they won't fix it knowing the problem is there.

I'm highly disappointed in the dealership and Toyota in general. This was my first car buying experience and it was terrible.

- , Lake Stevens, WA, USA

Mar 012008

Camry SE 4 cyl

I have always mentioned oil burning to the Toyota dealer service dept. when I go for oil changes. They said they couldn't find anything. I have to put 2 quarts of oil in between every oil change. $$$ There has never been any oil in driveway, no smell of oil burning. Where does it go? The people in the dealership are not going to let you know of a problem, they just change it and send it back. They are here to sell you filters and wipers and new vehicles. They are not going to rat on theirselves about a problem that is Toyota's fault. I would like to have problem fixed free, and some of the oil money back. That stuff is 7.00 a quart, twice each oil change. I would say about $50 a year or more, for 7 years now. Just saying...

- , Mayodan, NC, USA

Jun 102009

Camry LE 2.4L

I finally took a car loan out and bought a used 39k, previously leased 2007 Camry back in 2009. Soon after I started to notice I was burning oil every 1000 miles. Of course, car companies put everything in their manuals that covers themselves with 'acceptable'. Really? I thought for about one second that maybe with new engines, they may run different, but I snapped back to reality. I never had an engine burn oil like this. Even my old V8, 80's engine with 150k never burned like this. No one had an answer except my father who said the piston rings have to be worn. By 80k miles, I was at about a quart every 500 miles, and quickly it became every 200. Now let's face it, Toyota was not going to recall this problem because it would bankrupt them at a point when they had the defective runaway Camry's. This job costs at least a few thousand each engine. The funny part is my mother had a 2007 rav4 and reported worse consumption than my Camry at the same mileage. Now my father received a notice of a possible recall for this. Funny because it has been so long that the engines are coincidentally out of warranty or had to be repaired by the owners. Now, my spark plugs are being affected to where oil is getting on them. I refuse to pay to fix this car for their defective machining work. The car has been great besides this major defect. I have changed out very little on the car, but its not worth me paying close to $3k for their mistake at 127k miles. It sucks to finish a 5yr car loan and need a new car shortly after the final payment. Engines don't burn oil, they burn gas. Thanks for tarnishing my opinions on your reputation for quality Toyota. If I buy a newer one, I'm going for a 1k mile test drive first!

- , Hampden, MA, USA

Jul 012010

Camry XLE 2.4L

I was almost due for an oil change, so I decided just to check my levels in my car and realized that oil was very low, barely reading on the oil stick. I've had many cars over the years and never had a car that consumed this much oil between services. Thinking I may be leaking oil, I wasn't, never an oil spot in my drive way. Where is the oil going? Its the craziest thing I have ever experienced with a vehicle... Which surprised me from the simple fact that this vehicle is a Toyota. My solution for this has been to just check the engine frequently between oil changes and add a few quarts. If there ever ends up being a fix I would love to know what that is.

- , Fresno, CA, USA

Aug 082013

Camry SE 4 cyl

Driving home from work one night....low oil light comes on. Pulled over and checked the dipstick.... not even touching. 2 quarts in and just made it to the bottom of the dipstick.

Suddenly went from using no oil between 5,000 miles changes to 4 quarts. Brought it to dealer for oil consumption test just before extended warranty was to expire... after 1,200 miles, they said oil usage was normal.

More than a year and a half later nearing 100,000 miles, still losing 4 quarts of oil between changes. Complained again to Toyota. They offered consumption test again and this time, if something is wrong, I'd have to pay for the repair since no longer in warranty.

Our other car of another Japanese manufacturer with over 110,000 doesn't use a drop between 7,500 mile oil changes.

- , La Canada, CA, USA

Sep 012014

Camry LE 4 Cl

Uses over a qt of oil every 300 miles or so. Otherwise runs fine. No smoke or dripping. Dealer was no help, said is normal.

- , Chesapeake Beach, MD, USA

Oct 202010

Camry SE 2.4V4

This is my first new car purchase and it is so bad experience!

Start from 30k miles, the engine consumes one qt oil every 1300 miles.

I was told by dealer that it is normal. I just keep watch the oil level frequently and adding oil frequently.

- , Cherry Hill, NJ, USA

Jan 072013

Camry CE 2.4L V4

I had this excessive oil consumption issue in Jan 2013. I found this issue because when I press the brake then I saw a light is on the meter side. Then I checked the car manual and it says the oil level is low, and I checked the oil level and it was too low to see the oil. After being home, I added 2 QTs oil and can see the oil. I called local Toyota dealer and they said they could do a test. I went there and changed oil, they told me to come back after 1200 miles. Then in March 2013, when I drove my Camry '07 to the dealer and they checked and said 2.5 QTs low on the oil and they gave me a price of $1400 for checking what kind issue it will be, then will give a cost to fix it.

I did lots of investigation on Google and found this is a common issue for 2007 Camry. And some people just added oil regularly and never fixed the issue, so I did the same thing. Today I got a letter from Toyota Motor Sales USA Inc, and they say that they will address this issue and ask me to contact the local dealer to have this issue fixed.

So this is a good news for folks who have been suffering this issue. Good luck every one.

- , Willow Grove, PA, USA

Jan 082014

Camry LE 4 cyl

I fell like I work hard and did without a lot to pay for a car, insurance and maintenance and then it starts using oil. Companies don't care about the consumer. That is too much money to pay and soon as you get it paid for you have to get another one. I can't do that. I feel like the company should make things right. I have been looking online to see about recalls. They are saying this problem with using oil is normal at 82000. If you thought you were paying $20000 for a car that was going to last 82000, would you buy it?

- , Pineville, KY, USA