Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: An increasing number of Toyotas are experiencing excessive oil consumption and the 2007 Camry seems to be leading the charge.

Owners are reporting that their engines are deprived of oil halfway through their maintenance schedules and in some cases the damage is so bad that entirely new engines need to be installed, paid out of pocket. The issue may be a result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

Toyota has issued a TSB for this problem, but maintains their stance that vehicles equipped with a 2AZ-FE engine are burning through a “normal” amount of oil.

2. rebuild engine or check oil frequently (36 reports)
  3. replace engine (25 reports)
  4. Toyota Canada's head office told me that it is acceptable fo (7 reports)
  5. replace piston assembly (3 reports)
  6. dealer said it's normal (2 reports)
2007 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Camry:

2007 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 1 of 11)

Jun 102016

Camry LXE 4 cyl 2.4L

My 2007 Toyota LXE Camry is using 4 quarts of oil between changes. Just found out so are others having the same problem. I don'r know who to complain to.

- , Cookeville, TN, USA

Oct 012008

Camry LE 4 cyl

Always have to add a quart of oil per 1000 miles. Now I must add every 600 miles.

- , Bel Air, MD, USA

Apr 102011

Camry LE 2.4L V4

Problem start more then 5 years ago when car mileage was approximately 75,000. Took it to the dealer. Car was checked (they did 3 oil changes all 1000 mile apart) and told me that car is consuming 1 Qt. for every 1000 miles which is normal (I did not agree with this statement, because my previous Toyota never burn any oil even after driving 5000 miles). So I started calibrating myself and found out that car is burning 1 Qt. at every 600 miles (v/s 1 qt./1000 miles, as per dealer). Now (10/21/2016) car has 133,800 miles, and engine is burning oil at the rate of @ 1 qt per every 225 to 250 miles. So burning rate is increased from 600 miles/qt. to 225 miles/qt. And rate of burning is increasing day by day. The sound of engine is started changing from last two weeks and I am feeling that engine is making more noise and giving me less power.

One Toyota mechanic told me that your car engine may die any time. I kept on pouring oil (2 qts at a time when I see engine oil sign) . I am going to call Toyota company to report this problem.

- , Olney, MD, USA

Oct 012015

Camry LE 2.4L

The 2007 Camry is burning engine oil really bad.

Had it checked with local Toyota dealership, it obviously failed the oil consumption test. It cannot even finish 2000 Km testing millage then the engine oil light popped up.

The Toyota dealer reported this issue to Toyota Canada. It is been almost haft year I am still waiting to get it fix cuz Toyota Canada keeps saying they are doing R&D on the piston ring and waiting for the parts to be available to get my car fixed.

I have to go to the local dealership every month to put engine oil in just in case it runs out. It is really frustrating and exhausting.

- , Edmonton, AB, Canada

Sep 262016

After 1200 miles, I took the car back to Toyota for second part of their Oil Consumption test, and was told it didn't use any oil. After picking up my car up from my trusted mechanic (who said 2/3 of Toyota's recommended repairs totaling over $1600 were not true), I was told he had to ADD OIL b/c it WAS LOW. This is yet another example of Toyota lying to customers so they do not have to incur costs or issue a valid recall. They claim burning oil is "normal", and only if their "test" proves so, they would replace the piston rings - they are lying about these test results to avoid having to do the expensive repair.

- , Jersey City, NJ, USA

Jul 012016

Camry LE 4 cyl

My car seems to be burning oil. I'm adding a quart every month or so. It looks as though this is a consistent problem. I'm hoping for a recall because I love my Camry!

- , Rogers, MN, USA

Jun 012012

Camry LE 2.4L

On 6/2012 my 2007 camery LE 2.4 engine, started to burning oil at around 90,000 miles, i started to add oil without realizing how much oil i was butting in to the car. that continued a years, at that point i was spending to much money on oil. I would add a quart of oil every 1,100miles. fast forward to today (9/16) am adding 2 quarts of oil every 800miles. I called toyota to voice my concern, they said my car had an extended warrenty until Oct 31, 2016. they schedule an appointment with a local dealer for an OIL CONSUMPTION TEST. ON 9/19/16. Thank you for your cooperation towards this matter

- , Jackson Hieghts, NY, USA

Oct 072015

Camry LE 2.5L

My 2007 Toyota camry goes thru almost as much oil as it does gas!!!! I have taken it to the dealership twice for the oil consumption test(what a joke) only to be told that it doesn't met the criteria to be repaired by the dealership, Every time we take it somewhere for an oil change, we are told by the mechanic that it was practically out of much damn oil would it have to consume to be covered by Toyota. y it sounds like everyone with this problem is being told to just deal with it and add oil as if it's a normal occurrence with kind of car!!! I used to think Toyota was the most reliable car on the road, but after being treated like a fool by the dealership, I will never buy another Toyota as long as I live!!!

- , Antwerp, NY, USA

May 102010

Camry LE 4.2L

The oil consumption is burning more oil than it should be. It's at it's highest point, and we are grateful that the motor hasn't burned up and caused an accident. Toyota is aware of the 2AZ-FE engines having problems with oil consumption, the problem being it's a long process to get through from having an Oil Consumption Test at the dealership to waiting for results, which can take months.

- , Ingleside, TX, USA

May 012016

Camry LE 2.4L

Toyota sent me a notice that they were looking in to excessive oil use on 06- 2011 toyotas, Mine is an 07. As it is definitely using oil, I took it down for the test. It used almost a quart in 1000 miles. they said I did not qualify for any compensation. I have driven Toyotas since 1991, I've never had a problem with oil consumption before. I bought this car with 67,000 miles on it, so I do not know it's history prior to my acquisition, but it did not burn oil when I bought it, and it drove very good. It looked and still does look like someone has taken care of it. I am very disappointed with Toyota, and will probably not buy another one because of the way I've been treated at Lithia in Missoula. They flushed my transmission on one occasion when I had it serviced. The next time I took it in, they said my transmission needed flushed. I told them I'd already had it done the last time, and hoped that was not my transmission oil they were showing me on the little plastic tray. They said, Oh we must have the wrong tray! Well, I do not trust them. I have other stories but not the space. They are crooked. If you don't believe me, send in a decoy and see what they try to sell him or her!!!

- , Missoula, MT, USA

Aug 292016

Camry LE 2azfe

Extreme oil consumption 1.5 to 2 quarts Per 1000 miles

- , Belleville, IL, USA

Sep 032016

Camry SE 4 cyl

I had the 1200 mile oil consumption test done has requested by Toyota, they sealed all oil ports. after 1200 they checked it out and i was told that everything was fine, they would not tell me if they add a quart or how it measured on the dip stink. My question is how do i know if they added oil or how much it consumed using there so call oil consumption test? I told the the service manager that the after my previous oil change I checked the oil after 1200 miles and had to add a one quart of oil at that time, his response was that is perfectly normal. I think because of the 150,299 miles and Oct is one month away they did nothing

- , Tulare, CA, USA

Jun 302016

After getting an oil change the oil is bone dry in under 3000 miles

- , Trooper, PA, USA

Jul 142016

Camry SE

Why is it that we have these problems and the dealership will not cover the problems?

- , Central Islip, NY, USA

Apr 132016

Camry SE 2.4L 4-cyl

I had been aware of low oil in my car when getting full service oil changes at reputable organizations, but I did not worry much until a family member did an oil change for me and indicated I had near zero oil in the car. I started monitoring it very closely and had to buy extra oil and keep in in the trunk to keep the oil level up during long trips and then regular daily travel.

After moving towns, I was in for another full service oil change at a Valvoline shop when the technician again indicated that the car was quite low and mentioned that he heard through the grape vine that there were issues with Toyota engines and to take it to a dealer.

I went in on March 11, 2016 and Toyota put on the oil consumption test which consisted of zip tying the dipstick, placing stickers and other markings on the dipstick and oil fill cap, among other things less visible to my eye on the oil filter. I needed to drive the car for 1100 to 1300 miles and return for Toyota to evaluate the rate at which my engine was consuming oil. Ironically, only after that visit did I receive a formal piece of mail from Toyota describing the issue of excessive oil consumption. Thinking back to my visit with other Toyota customers around in the service center, my conversation was on somewhat of a hush-hush tone which now felt to me like they did not want other to know/publicize the issue.

Needless to say I returned about a month later on April 13, 2016 and Toyota confirmed that I failed the test meaning my car was consuming excessive amounts of oil. They take my car immediately and put me into a rental car. A few days later, I get a phone call from the dealer explaining that there are (2) types of pistons in 2007 Camry's and I have the rarest type which are on back order for a couple of weeks. There was apparently another Toyota in that needed the same rare pistons that they were already working on before I returned at the end of the oil consumption test. (NOTE for later on, I assumed this meant I was second in line). They told me I needed to come in, return the rental, continue driving my personal car, and save receipts for all the extra oil I need to add to stay in the safe operating range.

It is currently July 19, 2016 and I have been back to the dealer one time to find out about these pistons, rings, or whatever other parts are on the extreme back order since it has now been MONTHS not WEEKS. Upon my surprise visit, I was told by the Toyota service representative that they were sorry, the parts are still on back order with no idea when they would be showing up, and that I am now number 3 on the list?! They assured me that I would receive a phone call when the parts would be in, and it has been silent since.

Lastly to round out my rant thinking back to my return visit at the end of the oil consumption test, the Toyota service representative mentioned that because the final repair requires dismantling the engine to such a degree Toyota recommends also replacing something to do with the engine valve stems, seats, etc? Not being a car guy I am not exactly sure, but it did make sense to me. By the way, I am a mechanical engineer. The recommended repair was quoted around $500.

At this point, I was happy that my 2007 engine would get pretty much rebuilt. I care for my car religiously inside and out, and I have to say it looks pretty damn good for a 2007. In fact the service reps at Toyota even commented the same! The car has around 120k miles, and I was happy to think another $500 might allow me to keep this thing for a lot longer, but after talking with a "gear head" buddy at work (also mechanical engineer), he was very skeptical about the recommended valve repair. This put a lot of doubt in my mind, and it kind of felt like Toyota was trying to make a little but of money since all the parts and labor for the excessive oil consumption issue is on them. Fast forward four months with no updates from the dealer, and I am now one pissed off Toyota owner!

- , Saint Charles, IL, USA

May 042013

Camry LE 2.4L 4 cyl

Got a letter from Toyota about doing an oil consumption test at no cost, took it to Ralph Hayes Toyota of Anderson,Sc. and they started the test. I took it back in the mileage range they told me and was told that it did not qualify to be fixed. I have since did the test on my own and have found the oil consumption quiet excessive, ( more than a quart in the suggested mileage of 1300 miles). I don't think they want to fix it, I used to be a full time mechanic and know that a car should not use this much oil if the engine is right. Have noticed on first start up in the morning a large cloud of oil smoke from tail pipe. Thinking about taking it to a different dealership.

- , Elberton, GA, USA

May 202015

Camry LE 4 cyl

DO NOT buy a Toyota!! Here is my situation. I have a 2007 Toyota Camry 4 cyl. My vehicle not only got an extremely sticky dashboard which I blamed Safelite auto glass for but it also started burning oil in between oil changes. My vehicle was paid off and out of warranty & who takes their vehicle to get work done to it at a Toyota dealership when it's a 2007. I had every recall taken care of as soon as I received it at the Toyota dealership & also kept up with all of the maintenance on my vehicle at a certified mechanic shop. I have all of my service records & witnesses. The end of last year my vehicle started burning an excessive amount of oil in between oil changes. I ended up taking it to the mechanic & he was adding oil in between oil changes stating it was normal for it to burn oil because of the mileage. They also went with a thicker oil to try to get it to improve. I was also carrying oil in the trunk of my car & adding it whenever it started getting low. Well my car overheated & cracked my head gasket. After going onto Toyotas website & typing my VIN number in, it states there aren't any recalls or service campaigns for my vehicle. So I didn't think anything of it. I started saving money up to have my engine replaced so it's been sitting for months. After realizing I couldn't possibly afford it, I went online to get blue book values to sell it at an auction. Come to find out there was not one but 2 warranty enhancements or something like that covering my dashboard as well as my engine burning oil. They are trying to state something was mailed to me even though I know if I would have received anything I would have had it fixed immediately being that it is my only car. After contacting an attorney in California who had a class action lawsuit against Toyota, he stated to me that nothing was mailed out to customers. After contacting not only a Toyota dealership but Toyota service, they both ran my Vin number and it shows the warranty enhancement for both problems. Unfortunately customers did not have access to this unless they called the dealership. The lady at Toyota service stated to me the only way they would replace anything to do with my engine is if an oil consumption test can be run, well my engine is burned up because my head gasket cracked because of overheating because of excessive oil consumption. So basically at this point I have no other choice to pursue this further. I will never buy another Toyota again. If my car was being worked on by a certified mechanic and I have service records proving all of my recalls and maintenance was done on my vehicle, then they should honor that. I have pages and pages of complaints from Toyota owners stating the same things were happening to their vehicles. They claim paperwork was sent to me for the dashboard as well as the engine but I never received anything and according to the attorney, nothing was sent to customers. I need to locate an attorney I guess. I don't know what to do at this point. I have recorded the conversations between myself and 2 Toyota dealerships as well as the conversation with Toyota corporation. Any info or suggestions or attorneys that will help me, please don't hesitate to contact me. I just want my car fixed. That's all.

- , Denham Springs, LA, USA

Jun 082016

Camry 2.4L Ez7

Toyotas so called warranty enhancement for oil consumption is not getting rid all solution. my car was burning oil so they replaced only the RINGS and pistons now my car is still burning OIL and smokes badly once started up. The problem is they did not replace' the Valve guides which causes it to smoke so it is still burning oil and smoking. Smoking now worse than ever!

- , Grain Valley, MO, USA

Dec 202011

Camry LE

I informed my Toyota Service Department about the oil consumption issue in 2011 and was told that it was normal. I continued to put oil in my Camry until I received notification from Toyota about the possibility of excessive oil consumption. I parked the car that very day and waited for eleven months for the next notification that the car could now be tested. I went through their process,at a different dealership,only to be told that my car passes. What a load of bull. I was told that the car could be tested again after another 5 thousand miles of burning our natural resources in excess.

My last three new car purchases were all Toyota's but I think that they have lost my business forever more after this issue.

- , Albemarle, NC, USA

Apr 102016

Camry 4

Engine started knocking so vehicle has been parked and not driven since! Now as I'm researching I see that others are having the same issue!

- , South Plymouth, NY, USA