CarComplaints.com Notes: An increasing number of Toyotas are experiencing excessive oil consumption and the 2007 Camry seems to be leading the charge.

Owners are reporting that their engines are deprived of oil halfway through their maintenance schedules and in some cases the damage is so bad that entirely new engines need to be installed, paid out of pocket. The issue may be a result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

Toyota has issued a TSB for this problem, but maintains their stance that vehicles equipped with a 2AZ-FE engine are burning through a “normal” amount of oil.

7.9

$1,914.00

2. rebuild engine or check oil frequently (35 reports)
  3. replace engine (25 reports)
  4. Toyota Canada's head office told me that it is acceptable fo (7 reports)
  5. replace piston assembly (3 reports)
  6. dealer said it's normal (2 reports)
2007 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Camry:

2007 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 1 of 10)

Apr 012015

Camry LE 4 cyl

I have to add a quart of oil almost every 2 weeks of driving usually 1.5 to 2 quarts between oil changes at 5000mi. Problem started at about 115000 miles.

- , Finksburg, MD, USA

Apr 082016

Camry ES

just want to know if other Toyota cars have same problem

- , Artesia, CA, USA

Apr 092016

Camry

Well we had been putting synthetic oil bc we had high mileage on our vehicle and it seemed to keep burning faster than usual. We were 1,500 miles away from the 'change your oil' sticker and the car just stopped working. The motor seemed to lock up and we now have to replace it.

- , San Antonio, TX, USA

Jan 042016

Camry LE 2.4L

I have taken excellent care of my car. Imagine my chagrined about two months ago when I discovered that the engine was burning oil at about 2 qts every 1,200 miles. My mechanic, familiar with this problem, did a few inexpensive things to see if we could put a finger in the dike. Helped a bit, but I still check the oil frequently and add 1/2 to 1 qt of oil every 1200 miles. I expected to keep this car for a long time; I'll continue to put in oil regularly, but I'm considering a replacement car purchase soon.

- , Gurnee, IL, USA

Sep 162009

Camry LE Tech 4

Toyota of North Charlotte has told me repeatedly that the oil consumption was normal and/or the fault of my driving habits. It has gotten even worse over 100K miles.

- , Hunters, NC, USA

Apr 302013

Camry

I have an issue of excessive engine oil burning. I kept on going for oil change as my indicator would always show oil level as low. One day I got a letter from Toyota to get it checked as it may be an inherent issue. I went to bill page Toyota. As per the dealer there is an issue and I am eligible for getting it fixed. It has been few months since the test and the dealer is not helping me to get the problem fixed. Now he is not picking up my calls. I am not sure what to do. The dealer had earlier told me that they will call me and get the problem fixed . But they are neither calling nor picking up my calls. Once when the call went through, the service manager showed impatience and did not answer my questions. He gave curt reply, like " what I can do, I will let you know in time" I am not sure where to go now. Because if I go to another dealer/service I will have to repeat the test again . Kindly help and advice.

- , Falls Church, VA, USA

Aug 172015

Camry

This problem is quite annoying because I have to check the oil permanently.

- , Lawrenceville, GA, USA

Jul 162015

Camry LE 2.4L

I purchased this car used and checked the oil. I called the dealer and they told me to just add a quart. I added the quart and I have been adding a quart every 1000 or so sense. Toyota is doing an oil consumption test now. I are not very willing to give me any information on what to expect next. IE how much oil it needs to burn to fail, and or what will happen if it does fail.

- , Fort Mohave, AZ, USA

Jun 012014

Camry LE 2.4L

Noticed oil consumption in 2014 around 80,000Km. It was out of Power train warranty by then. Initially it was about 1 liter every 4,000Km. Now it is 1 liter every 2,000Km. I believe this problem is due to bad piston and ring design. Disappointing quality from Toyota. In 2013 spent $1000 to fix the noisy water pump.

- , Calgary, AB, Canada

Oct 192015

Camry LE 2afe

I need to keep a watch frequently to make sure the correct oil level. Lost confidence on long trip/travel due to fear of oil level reduction. It burns my purse due to frequent oil top ups.

- , Lilburn, USA

Dec 152015

Camry ES 2.4L

Excessive oil consumption I have to check every other day . It's alarming to know there is a problem like that and the corporations are ignoring the customers concerns . They need to do something yesterday time for recall . Not Duh Duh Duh we're not sure that's your problem . What happened to the reliability of the 1998 to 2000 Camry's .

- , Prattville, USA

Jan 012013

Camry LX V6

This 2007 Camry is ridiculously awful.......to many issues.......you always get the run around....no one to help or willing to rectify the situation......burn to much oil....I'm changing oil literally every month......THIS WAS THE BIGGEST MISTAKE I EVER DID BUYING TOYOTA.......SO MANY ISSUES THE CAR ALWAYS VIBRATE WHEN YOU SPEED ON HWY FROM DAY 1 I BOUGHT IT......OIL CONSUME TO MUCH.......SUN VISOR situation is to dangerous to drive..... I CAN'T WAIT TO CHANGE MY CAR TO DIFFERENT BRAND

- , Mississauga, ON, Canada

Jun 012015

Camry LX 2.2L

This is embarrassing for Toyota. I always thought that Toyota is #1 in quality. Never expected this to happen. Going back to Honda's

- , Seven Hills, OH, USA

Dec 222015

Camry

Has anyone had their 2007 Camry engine rebuilt due to oil consumption through the recall process? If so, is anyone having problems with the loud, awful vibration/sound after it has been rebuilt?

Please let me know.

- , Sac, CA, USA

Dec 012015

Camry LX V4

My car is 2007 toyota Camry .The engine is burning oil .

- , Columbia, MD, USA

May 012013

Camry SE 4 cyl

Toyota Camry sucks. I will be buying Ford next time.

- , Mentone, AL, USA

Oct 012015

Camry

My 07 Toyota Camry excessively drinks oil like a thirsty man in a hot dessert to find a gallon of water, and I have to pour it and pour it. I searched to find a solution for it, but there was not specific solution to this problem.

- , San Diego, CA, USA

Aug 272015

Camry LE

Last Friday I checked the engine oil level with the dipstick and i was surprised to notice that there were no trace of engine oil at all. The next morning i went to Toyota Dealer close to my home and ask them to change engine oil and also to check if there is any leakage around the oil pan or anywhere. They change the engine oil and told me that there is no leakage in the engine. They also told me contact with Toyota to see if they have any kind of recall for that particular problem. Since my manufacturer warranty expired three years ago I can't fix it right way. But I was also shocked to know that there was no check engine sign shown on the control panel screen. If there is no engine oil in your car, that is a very severe problem and there must be some kind of alarm or visual so that the car owner will check that problem. I am planning to call Toyota customer service to check there were recall for that particular problem. Also if anybody has any kind of suggestion to stop this excessive engine oil consumption, please feel free to write back.

Thanks.

- , Ashburn, VA, USA

Jun 012015

Camry XLE

I took my 2007 Camry for an oil consumption test and it failed. We were advised that the dealership will have the parts in anywhere from 4-6 months and as long as we kept oil in the car then the problem would not cause any other issues and it would be safe. 3 weeks later the car over heated and blew the water pump. The dealership has told us that the overheating has nothing to do with the burning of the oil so the engine overheating and possibly needing replacement will be on us. This was very convenient timing. If the water pump was failing I believe the dealership knew of the situation and didn't tell us and waited for it to fail so they could place the blame on us. Bottom line Toyota has a MAJOR problem with these 07 Camry's and they all are doing everything they can NOT to fix the problem. I have personally met 6 people that I didn't know prior to June 2015 and they all have had the same exact problem and they all have expressed their disappointment with Toyota and their lack of customer service in trying to fix this problem. Being a previous owner of 4 Toyota's I will NOT buy another one. My Camry is for sale and if anyone wants to buy my Sequoia they can have that too.

- , Bowie, MD, USA

Nov 012014

Camry LS 4 Cyc

TOYOTA HAS LOST A LOYAL CUSTOMER. I WILL NEVER NEVER BUY A TOYOTA AGAIN IN MY LIFE.

THIS BEEN BURNING OIL SINCE 2014. AND EVERY TIME I GO TO THE DEALER THEY SAID ITS OK AND NOTHING IS WRONG. I HAD THE GASKET REPLACED AND THE CAR IS STILL BURNING OIL.

- , Hazel Crest, IL, USA