CarComplaints.com Notes: An increasing number of Toyotas are experiencing excessive oil consumption and the 2007 Camry seems to be leading the charge.

Owners are reporting that their engines are deprived of oil halfway through their maintenance schedules and in some cases the damage is so bad that entirely new engines need to be installed, paid out of pocket. The issue may be a result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

Toyota has issued a TSB for this problem, but maintains their stance that vehicles equipped with a 2AZ-FE engine are burning through a “normal” amount of oil.

7.9

$2,341.00

2. replace engine (20 reports)
  3. rebuild engine or check oil frequently (14 reports)
  4. Toyota Canada's head office told me that it is acceptable fo (8 reports)
  5. replaced with heavier oil grade (2 reports)
  6. fixed problem under tsb 0094-11 (1 reports)
2007 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Camry:

2007 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 1 of 6)

Feb 022014

Camry CE 4 cyl

We bought our 2007 Camry brand new and have always had it serviced at the local Toyota dealership. The oil was changed religiously every 5000 miles (0-20W or 5W-20 recommended on oil cap). At our last change I noted after the fact that the dealership used 5-30W oil; that was at 74889 miles. This car is primarily driven by my wife, & whenever she takes a trip I always check oil, tire pressure, washer fluid, battery, & other fluid levels.

About a week ago she told me that a dash light symbol came on when she applied the brakes, but she wasn't sure what it was. When I checked, I saw it was the oil lamp, & the car was at 78,920 miles, roughly 1000 miles from a checkup. When I checked the oil gauge it was completely dry! I was shocked, because we always park the car in the same spot in the garage & there are absolutely no oil stains. Moreover, we had not seen any exhaust emission to indicate the car was burning oil. I had some 5W-oil in the garage, so I put in about a liter, waited until it settled, & measured again. The Toyota dipstick is a poor one to read, but I could just discern a drop of very clean oil on the tip.

I decided to take it to a trusted mechanic near where I live. They drained the oil & found only the clean oil I had added, so they added four more quarts to fill it up. I wrote a letter to my dealer here & sent a copy to Toyota headquarters in Torrance, CA. The dealership called back & left a message when I was not home. Then the next day I got a call from Toyota headquarters. They were very calm & casual, & asked what I expected as a response. They even assigned me a case no.: 1402122594. I told them I needed to contact the dealership first to get their reaction, & HQ thanked me for the letter & suggested that was the way to go.

So earlier today I got a second call from the service supervisor at the dealer. He essentially denied that it was possible there was no oil in the car, & suggested that there must have been a residual amount in the filter. We had quite a discussion, & during it he stated that when cars accumulated this kind of mileage it was normal for them to burn more oil. He also stated that the car could burn up to three quarts (out of a 4.5 qt. capacity) before the oil lamp came on, & it would not be harmful to the car. I explained that I had owned a number of Toyotas previously & had never experienced this with them or any other vehicle, some of which I had driven 140,000 miles or more. He further denied that any damage had been done to the engine as a result.

Then, amazingly, he referred me to this site & told me how to access it on Google. When I did, I of course discovered dozens of Camry owners who have experienced the exact same problems in very similar fashion. In the handbook, although it does give a CYA statement about cars being expected to burn a quart of oil every 1000 miles, any owner will tell you that is not the case with their vehicle (I am speaking, of course, of owners not having this kind of problem). Moreover, in the handbook it states the car is more likely to burn oil when new than it does later on, "since its piston, piston rings & cylinder walls have not become conditioned." This of course is a direct contradiction to his explanation.

I am going back to check again with my trusted mechanic tomorrow to confirm that the only oil they drained was the new oil I had added before bringing the car to them. There is no question in my mind that none of the oil drained was dark or discolored in any way. Now, of course, I have discovered through this site that dozens of others are experiencing similar problems with their 2007 Camrys. and this is probably only a small fraction of the owners experiencing such problems but not reporting them.

Especially given all the recalls in recent years, it's obvious that Toyota's reputation is badly tarnished, & deservedly so. The stats this site provided are almost exactly in line with when my problems showed up, mileage-wise, & potential damage & repairs will likely be prohibitive. In a more general sense, the collective responses here from buyers clearly indicate that warranties are not a good investment. You are better off putting the money in a repair account & using it when your car actually does experience a problem, the more expensive ones invariably coming after the warranty expires.

Like many others have noted, my moral compass also makes it difficult for me to want to pass on such a car to someone else, rendering it far less valuable as an asset for buying a new vehicle. I found the responses of both the dealership & HQ very generic & disappointing, & as I educate myself to others' collective experience it is quite apparent they are aware of the magnitude of this problem & rather cavalier in the way they have addressed/minimized the complaints.

As an owner of multiple Toyotas in past, I have watched their quality steadily erode. Years ago, when there were defects, they were always quick to respond & eliminate them. Now they really seem indifferent. Before I could say it, my wife (who is Oriental) said she did not want to buy a Toyota any more. Especially in this day & age of increased expectations for longevity & performance in automobiles as compared to a couple decades ago, Toyota really appears to be headed in the opposite direction.

Bill A Homosassa, FL

- , Homosassa, FL, USA

Jun 102014

Camry

Burning oil!!!! I'm fed up, not sure what to do!!! Every 1000 miles I need to add oil!! The is a TOYOTA PROBLEM and they need to fix it!!!!!! I'm a single working mom, so I just don't have $4000 laying around to fix a car!!!!

- , Eagan, MN, USA

Jun 132013

Camry SE V4

I purchased my 2007 Camry used in 2012. This was my third Camry because I really liked Toyota's and never had problems with the first or second one. Toyota was always the car to buy because they were dependable and people I knew who owned them were always very happy with them. I bought my first one in 1994, brand new and I loved it. I bought a 1997 Camry, brand new and loved that one. My husband had a 1998 Avalon, which was a great car and now has a 2010 Tundra (knock on wood, no problems yet).

I bought my 2007 Camry in 2012 and was happy with it until the end of May 2013 when I was getting ready to go on a trip and found there to be no oil in the car, (oil light never went on). I put oil in it thinking that at the last oil change maybe the service department may have forgotten to put in it, but did call the service department when I got home and was told to bring it in for an oil consumption test. I had never heard of that before as my other Camrys didn't seem to have that problem. The car seemed OK until June 2014 when the same thing happened, (oil light blinked on and off and I was down 3 qts). Never was I told that this oil consumption was a much bigger problem then I had imagined.

I went on the internet and started doing some looking around and found there to be many, many people with the same problem. I e-mailed Toyota twice and was pretty much told that it is normal for a car to consume 1.1 qts of oil every 600 miles. Are they kidding or what???? It's was kind of a,"too bad, so sad", but there is nothing they can do because the oil it consumed was in their parameters. I believe they have set the oil consumption parameters to cover their butts. When I called Toyota, the girl I spoke with told me there was nothing they could do for me because the oil loss was within their guidelines, my warranty was expired and then had the NERVE to ask me if there was anything ELSE she could do to help me. WHAT?????

I find it very sad because Toyota does not seem to care in the least for all of us who are having this same problem. I know that my next car will definitely not be a Toyota. There are too many other car dealers out there who would be happy to have my business. At this point I would not recommend Toyota to anyone who is looking for a dependable car. I know several people who have told me they were thinking of getting one but since this has happened to me they have changed their minds. Remember, you tell ten people, and they tell ten people, and it goes on and on and on. Too bad Toyota, but you won't ever have me as a customer again.

- , Gilberts, IL, USA

Dec 262013

Camry LE 1.4L 4 cyl

I had my Camry serviced following the recommended schedule closely at two area authorized Toyota dealerships. Never in its service history was oil consumption mentioned as a concern. In December 2013, the service tech told me that the oil pan seal and valve cover gasket needed to be replaced due to oil leakage. I had recently inspected the engine, and had seen no leakage. I watched the engine for any sign of leakage, and checked the oil twice before the next service interval. Both times the engine oil was very low, but there was no sign of any leak, or warning light. I took my car to an independent certified shop, and they verified that there was no leak at the oil pan or valve cover. The independent shop furnished me with the Toyota service bulletin that discussed my cars engine's excessive oil consumption and the suggested repair. It now appears that Toyota was aware of the engine defect as early as 2008, when my car was under warranty. Never did either dealership report or offer to fix the problem. I now have concerns about excessive engine wear leading to catastrophic failure.

- , Canby, OR, USA

Jun 172014

Camry LX V4

I went to Toyota for a regular oil change even before my maintenance schedule because "oil pressure light "came on. I always regularly serviced my car, and just to be told that engine in my car burn oil too much. I was also told to drive another 1000 miles and then come for inspections, and that they will need to open the engine and see what the problem is. I was presented with an estimate of $ 3,178.62. Also, to replace brakes $189.95 x 2 .

I was so disappointed with Toyota, because I loved my car for all these years and now this.

- , Richland, WA, USA

Jun 092014

Camry LE 2az-Fe

I bought a used 2007 Toyota Camry LE in Feb 2009 with only 2,000 miles on it. The car has performed well until now. Four months ago, I noticed a faint knocking noise from the engine. I thought the problem was some sort of "piston slap" I recently discovered that the car has been using about one quart of oil for each 1,000 miles driven. The service manager at Rosner Toyota in Fredericksburg,VA told me that the excessive oil consumption problem results from very small oil return holes on the piston rings. The oil remains in the combustion chamber and is burned. He said that the pistons and piston rings would have to be replaced at a cost approximately $2,000. Toyota did not issue a recall this vehicle; only a technical service bulletin, TSB 0094-11 on August 11, 2011. I have elected to replace the oil as needed, and trade the car in for something other than a Toyota in about 2 years.

Patrick H.

Stafford,VA

- , Woodbridge, VA, USA

Jul 222012

Camry LE 2.4L I4

I was on a summer trip and before making my way back home, I decided to check the fluid levels of my car, and noticed that the oil level was below the minimum mark on the dipstick, so I added a quart of oil before making the trip back, and booked an appointment at my Toyota dealership, with whom I deal exclusively for service. At this point, I was still under warranty, so they changed the oil and told me to come back at the regular service interval, which is 8000 kms. here in Canada. After I had driven the 8000 kms. and was ready for the next oil change, the oil level was again below the minimum mark on the dipstick. Concerned, I mentioned it to the service advisor, who opened up a file for my car, and ran a compression test on the engine. The compression test turned out fine, so they mentioned that I should put in 5W30 oil, and assured me that nothing wrong would happen to the engine, even though I expressed concern that this was going against Toyota's recommendations. They sent in the report to Toyota headquarters to see if they could do a warranty repair, and Toyota refused, mentioning that the "oil consumption issue falls within Toyota's tolerances". They added that they would be monitoring the oil levels closely every time I'd bring my car in for service anyway. A year or so went by after this point, with the car consistently consuming a litre (or quart) of oil between oil changes. I found this to be very unusual, since my previous 4 Toyotas never really consumed any significant amount of oil, but trusted my service advisor, and kept checking the oil levels fairly regularly (every 1000 kms. or so).

Fast forward to January 2014--I checked my oil after 4000 kms, and noticed that it consumed a full litre of oil! In other words, instead of consuming a litre of oil every 8000 kms., it now consumed a litre in 4000 kms.! I mentioned it to my service advisor, who made a note of it in the file, changed the oil, and told me to keep monitoring it. It's now July 2014, and I'm at the halfway mark to the 8000 km. oil change, and have consumed a full litre of oil, so I called my dealership to see what would happen, since I am now outside the warranty period. Their response? To put 10W30 oil in it (which I refuse to do) and then think about an engine rebuild, for which I would need to pay.

I don't understand how I would have to pay for a repair that should've been done 2 years ago, but which Toyota refuses to acknowledge. I have now lost almost all faith in Toyota, a company that I once thought equated with reliability and years of worry-free ownership. Boy was I wrong. I will not support a company that does not stand behind its products, and believes that it can solve its problems by denying their existence. Until they do what's right, I cannot, in good faith, continue to support this company, and as it stands, this will be my last Toyota. I am also spreading the word to everyone willing to listen so that nobody else falls into this trap.

- , Ottawa, Canada, canada

Dec 122008

Camry LE 2.4li4

ADD OIL REGULARLY. KEEP ONE QUART OF OIL READY IN THE TRUNK. VERY DISAPPOINTED.

- , Huntington Beach, CA, USA

Mar 062014

Camry LX 2az-Fe

We bought our 2007 Camry in late 2006. Since the day we bought it we started having problems. We even bought a secondary warranty through Lockheed Credit Union. Our vehicle has had the struts replaced, our axles replaced and 2 recalls in less than 60,000 miles.

I recently discovered while driving my car that something was not sounding right. When we took it in for check up, the engine was almost bone dry of oil. My Mechanic suggested synthetic oil and we did an oil change and I kept an eye on it. We discovered that in about 1000 miles of driving my car is burning 1 qt of oil. I know a little bit about cars, and knew that this is not normal. I spoke to Keyes Toyota in Van Nuys and they confirmed that they had a T-SB (0094-11) regarding Engine Oil Consumption on my model year in August 11, 2011. The dealer told me that my warranty had expired and there is nothing they can do.

What really pissed me off, is that both my warranty's would have covered it if they had advised me back in 2011. I have since joined the Class action law suit and would like nothing more than to stick it to Toyota. We have purchased 3 new Toyota's since 2000. I am so disappointed with their customer service. I just want to get it fixed so I can sell it and get a Honda Accord.

- , North Hollywood, CA, USA

May 162014

Camry LE

I am on original owner of this car since June 2006 and has been regularly changing oil at the recommended intervals. I started noticing when the car had about 60k miles that i have been noticing that by the time i get to the oil change cycle the car is running out of oil. This has not happened in any of the other cars that I have owned and this is my 4th Toyota, so was very surprised and initially did not believe the oil change shop. However the situation has gradually worsened and now after about 2500 miles the oil sign comes on. So I took it to a mechanic to get this reviewed and after examination this mechanic came to the conclusion that this is an engine problem and it would cost upto $4k to fix it, so you are better off topping the oil frequently. So i went over the internet to research further and as I have discovered there are already numerous complaints exactly similar to mine. So I wanted to add to the list hoping we can get toyota to fix it.

- , Great Falls, VA, USA

Jan 232012

Camry SE 2.0L

click to see larger images

excessive oil consumption

I purchased a new 2007 Toyota Camry in Sept 2006. I got regular oil changes at Toyota and was never told how much oil they dumped so I don't know exactly when it started burning oil but I checked it last year and it had no oil in it. I told Toyota and they checked it and told me I needed a new engine. I told them I was still under my extended warranty so they started an oil consumption test and concluded that I was burning about a quart every 1000 miles and they said that was normal.

I check it often and keep oil in it but I'm worried that it will eventually destroy my engine. I'm very upset because my husband has a Toyota Tacoma with 200000 miles on it and it burns no oil. I am almost 50 and this is my first new car so I wanted to keep it for a long time. Now I can't even sell it with the oil consumption problem. I'm very disappointed in Toyota and want them to give me a new engine like they originally said it needed.

- , Muncie, IN, USA

Apr 242014

Camry SE

We bought our 2007 Toyota Camry used in 2010. My wife and I share the vehicle, so it does get a fair amount of use (obvious from mileage). We get the oil changed when we are supposed to and have had the brakes fixed and new tires put on the car and expected at least another 3-4 years of use.

We started hearing a strange noise and the oil light kept coming on, even though we have 1000 miles until our next scheduled oil change. We took it to the Alexandria VA Toyota and they told us that it might be a 4000$ repair. That this issue is common in Camry's - unacceptable.

We are going to fill out the class action law suit form and also complain to Toyota's customer service. If enough of us do that, hopefully we can make something happen and get a recall on our vehicles.

Class action law suit info: http://www.chimicles.com/toyota-scion-engine-oil-consumption-class-action-lawsuit

Toyota Customer Care: 1 (800) 331-4331

- , Laurel, MD, USA

Apr 122014

Camry

Disappointed to the MAX!!! I had my 2007 Camry, had several recalls, got them fixed. I make sure I get services about every 3-5,000 miles. I take care of my car.

And all of a sudden on Saturday, doing errands, my car goes crazy, gauges moving in all crazy directions, the temperature and RMP and Mile gauge has a mind of it own. OMG, freaked me out, pulled over and stopped the car. I curiously checked the oil, and guess what, NO OIL! The ABS & Brake lights are on and no indication of oil!!! I had them put 1 quart of oil and towed it home. The next day I made an appointment at the EL Monte Longo Toyota. Towed the car and paid $115.00 for a diagnostic. Results, an ABS System Actuator with Computer needs to be replaced! Explanation, it just failed! REALLY!

So, my question, does this normally happen to Camry's and he replied no, just seen a few. Really Toyota? I did a search on line and, OMG, THIS IS A MAJOR PROBLEM to this make/model & year! So, my other questions, what does the excessive oil usage have to do with the ABS? Nothing I was told. So basically I'm on my own to fix a problem that I believe is a manufacture problem.... Now a freaking $2300.00 dollar repair and no extended warranty on my car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I feel I spent so much money on a car to last YEARS and not a part just failed because!!!!! NOT FAIR!!

- , Los Angeles, CA, USA

Sep 012013

Camry

Engine light came on Fall 2013. Took it to the dealership, they said the fix would be expensive, to change the oil every 3,000 miles instead of the 5,000 recommended. Now the oil light is coming on after 2,000 oil change.

- , Hickory Hills, IL, USA

Sep 252013

Camry XLE 4 cyl

I purchased this vehicle new in February 2007. I also purchased a platinum warranty through Toyota. I starting noticing the oil consumption Sept. 2013. By January 2014, it had become significantly more noticeable. An oil consumption test was performed by the dealer. They found .76 quarts of oil were used in 1100 miles. The warranty company and Toyota have declared that this is within acceptable limits and have declined the opportunity to repair or replace my vehicle. The oil in my vehicle also becomes very dirty between oil changes. I am concerned that this issue will eventually ruin the engine or cost me major repairs.

- , Bella Vista, AR, USA

Nov 052012

Camry LX V4

I purchased my Toyota Camry new in 2007 thinking I would have a reliable sedan for 15 years or a minimum 0f 250,000 miles. In 2012 at under 130000 miles it started using oil. Now it is ridiculous, using almost 2 quarts every 1200 miles. The dealership did an excessive consumption test to tell me what I already knew. My Camry had the same problem that was identified in the 2002 class action lawsuit on overconsumption. It is caused by a faulty engine design, and yet Toyota says its out of warranty and they can do nothing unless there is enough complaints to cause a recall.

With no other recourse, and facing an engine repair bill of up to $6000, I want to be a part of joining others who are experiencing the same crap from Toyota and complain so that we can get a recall issued.

- , Elkhart, IN, USA

Dec 142012

Camry LE 2.4L V4

Bought the car in July 2007 and was happy with it until I've noticed that the car is consuming a lot of oil in between the 3000 miles changes. When I said a lot, I mean I have to add 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles or so. There is no visible leaks or any smoke coming out of the tail pipe. When mentioned this to my regular mechanic, he checked the internet and sure enough there was tons of complaints about the same problem. I will be contacting Toyota Corporate and see if they would be willing to fix it.

- , Houston, TX, USA

Jul 012012

Camry LE 2.2L 4 cyl

'07 Toyota Camry consumes 1 1/2 qts. Of oil every 5,000 miles. Andrew Toyota Scion, 1620 W. Silver Spring Dr., Glendale, WI, insists this is normal. William M. Willett, service advisor at Andrew, offers to investigate problem for $1,500.00 with any additional problems found to be repaired at additional cost.

- , Whitefish Bay, WI, USA

Jan 122012

Camry XLE 4 cyl

Car was towed from my home to Team CoachWorks, Inc. because when I checked the oil after a signal was intermittently alerting me that something was wrong. I checked the oil level and there was no oil on the oil dip stick. I have the receipt

I have to check the oil level every 500 miles to make sure I do not run out.

- , Moneta, VA, USA

Nov 182013

Camry CE 2.4L

After 2500 miles after oil change (full synthetic), adding 1 1/4 quarts to top it off isn't really good.

- , Pageland, SC, USA