CarComplaints.com Notes: An increasing number of Toyotas are experiencing excessive oil consumption and the 2007 Camry seems to be leading the charge.

Owners are reporting that their engines are deprived of oil halfway through their maintenance schedules and in some cases the damage is so bad that entirely new engines need to be installed, paid out of pocket. The issue may be a result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

Toyota has issued a TSB for this problem, but maintains their stance that vehicles equipped with a 2AZ-FE engine are burning through a “normal” amount of oil.

7.8

$1,914.00

2. rebuild engine or check oil frequently (36 reports)
  3. replace engine (26 reports)
  4. Toyota Canada's head office told me that it is acceptable fo (7 reports)
  5. replace piston assembly (3 reports)
  6. dealer said it's normal (2 reports)
2007 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Camry:

2007 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 1 of 11)

Dec 092015

Camry LX 2.2L

Have recorded documentation from dealer. Dealership gives run around refuses to acknowledge problem, Refuses to fix. Gives misinformation, Documents incorrect mileage, provides no documentation for rules or guide lines of recall. No notification ever received in mail or other wise. Had to find out on my own.

- , Hartford, SD, USA

Aug 152014

Camry LE 2.4L Dohc

I own a Toyota Seqouia SR 2002, Toyota Camry LE 2002 and Toyota Camry LE 2007. Both the Sequioa 2002 SR and Toyota Camry 2002 LE does not have excessive oil consumption problem and very happy with both of them. I do my oil change at 4 to 5 months interval or 5,000 miles or whichever comes first. If I do the same for my Toyota Camry LE 2007, my oil will be bone dry and surely fail due to thermal expansion and overheating. Every 3 weeks I have to add a quart of oil or a little less to bring the oil to the lowest hash mark on the dipstick. I drive the car for an average of about 900 to 1000 miles every 3 to 4 weeks. I cannot remember the last time I had an oil change on this car because I put a quart of oil every 3 to 4 weeks. If I do not add oil in 4 to 5 months like I do with my other Toyotas, I will for sure breakdown as a result of low oil or no oil at all.

Passport Toyota in Marlowe Heights, MD did the test. The manager Chris Brown said that they followed the criterion in testing. The dealership went ahead and did all the markings on my engine after the oil change (which my daughter did not ask) where I was charged (NO REASON FOR THE OIL CHANGE!) and was advised to drive the car for 1100 miles and bring it back to the aforementioned dealership. AT THE END OF THE TEST, the manager, Chris Brown claimed he only added two-thirds (2/3) of a quart of oil to bring the level up. My daughter did not witness the process when the oil was added to the engine because the manager claimed the shop was backed up. She went home and she has to call back in about three (3) hours which the manager claim will be ready in forty-five minutes. The manager just handed her the result and says that it is free of charge and the car passed the criterion established by Toyota.

Anyway, Toyota needs to correct and accept the fact that they made a mistake and should recall and fix the problem on excessive oil consumption. Piston rings are evidently not doing the job. Also, the owner should witness the procedure when oil was added to the engine. Anyone can claim that they only added a few drops of oil. What a ploy! This is just too much of a problem that it became a topic of discussion among Toyota owners like me all over the place. For now, I have to monitor my oil very so often because as per Toyota, my car's oil consumption is but normal. If this is normal, how come my other Toyota's are not having the same issue and all other cars I owned for the past 30 years of my life driving cars. Recall should be and the only solution for now so that Toyota can redeem itself.

- , Suitland, MD, USA

Nov 012015

Camry 4

My mother has been attempting to get Toyota to fix the issue with excessive burning of the oil. Her car burns enough oil prior to the 1,200 mi checkup to be absolutely bone dry. Appears that even if it ends up burning her engine, they may deny her in covering repairs. She is a new widow and is now on fixed income.

- , Rockwall, TX, USA

Aug 142014

Camry LX 4 cyl

Low oil light is annoying but worrisome. I am afraid the engine will go bad at some point.

- , Aguadilla, USA

Jun 102016

Camry LXE 4 cyl 2.4L

My 2007 Toyota LXE Camry is using 4 quarts of oil between changes. Just found out so are others having the same problem. I don'r know who to complain to.

- , Cookeville, TN, USA

Oct 012008

Camry LE 4 cyl

Always have to add a quart of oil per 1000 miles. Now I must add every 600 miles.

- , Bel Air, MD, USA

Apr 102011

Camry LE 2.4L V4

Problem start more then 5 years ago when car mileage was approximately 75,000. Took it to the dealer. Car was checked (they did 3 oil changes all 1000 mile apart) and told me that car is consuming 1 Qt. for every 1000 miles which is normal (I did not agree with this statement, because my previous Toyota never burn any oil even after driving 5000 miles). So I started calibrating myself and found out that car is burning 1 Qt. at every 600 miles (v/s 1 qt./1000 miles, as per dealer). Now (10/21/2016) car has 133,800 miles, and engine is burning oil at the rate of @ 1 qt per every 225 to 250 miles. So burning rate is increased from 600 miles/qt. to 225 miles/qt. And rate of burning is increasing day by day. The sound of engine is started changing from last two weeks and I am feeling that engine is making more noise and giving me less power.

One Toyota mechanic told me that your car engine may die any time. I kept on pouring oil (2 qts at a time when I see engine oil sign) . I am going to call Toyota company to report this problem.

- , Olney, MD, USA

Oct 012015

Camry LE 2.4L

The 2007 Camry is burning engine oil really bad.

Had it checked with local Toyota dealership, it obviously failed the oil consumption test. It cannot even finish 2000 Km testing millage then the engine oil light popped up.

The Toyota dealer reported this issue to Toyota Canada. It is been almost haft year I am still waiting to get it fix cuz Toyota Canada keeps saying they are doing R&D on the piston ring and waiting for the parts to be available to get my car fixed.

I have to go to the local dealership every month to put engine oil in just in case it runs out. It is really frustrating and exhausting.

- , Edmonton, AB, Canada

Sep 262016

Camry

After 1200 miles, I took the car back to Toyota for second part of their Oil Consumption test, and was told it didn't use any oil. After picking up my car up from my trusted mechanic (who said 2/3 of Toyota's recommended repairs totaling over $1600 were not true), I was told he had to ADD OIL b/c it WAS LOW. This is yet another example of Toyota lying to customers so they do not have to incur costs or issue a valid recall. They claim burning oil is "normal", and only if their "test" proves so, they would replace the piston rings - they are lying about these test results to avoid having to do the expensive repair.

- , Jersey City, NJ, USA

Jul 012016

Camry LE 4 cyl

My car seems to be burning oil. I'm adding a quart every month or so. It looks as though this is a consistent problem. I'm hoping for a recall because I love my Camry!

- , Rogers, MN, USA

Jun 012012

Camry LE 2.4L

On 6/2012 my 2007 camery LE 2.4 engine, started to burning oil at around 90,000 miles, i started to add oil without realizing how much oil i was butting in to the car. that continued a years, at that point i was spending to much money on oil. I would add a quart of oil every 1,100miles. fast forward to today (9/16) am adding 2 quarts of oil every 800miles. I called toyota to voice my concern, they said my car had an extended warrenty until Oct 31, 2016. they schedule an appointment with a local dealer for an OIL CONSUMPTION TEST. ON 9/19/16. Thank you for your cooperation towards this matter

- , Jackson Hieghts, NY, USA

Oct 072015

Camry LE 2.5L

My 2007 Toyota camry goes thru almost as much oil as it does gas!!!! I have taken it to the dealership twice for the oil consumption test(what a joke) only to be told that it doesn't met the criteria to be repaired by the dealership, Every time we take it somewhere for an oil change, we are told by the mechanic that it was practically out of oil......how much damn oil would it have to consume to be covered by Toyota. y it sounds like everyone with this problem is being told to just deal with it and add oil as if it's a normal occurrence with kind of car!!! I used to think Toyota was the most reliable car on the road, but after being treated like a fool by the dealership, I will never buy another Toyota as long as I live!!!

- , Antwerp, NY, USA

May 102010

Camry LE 4.2L

The oil consumption is burning more oil than it should be. It's at it's highest point, and we are grateful that the motor hasn't burned up and caused an accident. Toyota is aware of the 2AZ-FE engines having problems with oil consumption, the problem being it's a long process to get through from having an Oil Consumption Test at the dealership to waiting for results, which can take months.

- , Ingleside, TX, USA

May 012016

Camry LE 2.4L

Toyota sent me a notice that they were looking in to excessive oil use on 06- 2011 toyotas, Mine is an 07. As it is definitely using oil, I took it down for the test. It used almost a quart in 1000 miles. they said I did not qualify for any compensation. I have driven Toyotas since 1991, I've never had a problem with oil consumption before. I bought this car with 67,000 miles on it, so I do not know it's history prior to my acquisition, but it did not burn oil when I bought it, and it drove very good. It looked and still does look like someone has taken care of it. I am very disappointed with Toyota, and will probably not buy another one because of the way I've been treated at Lithia in Missoula. They flushed my transmission on one occasion when I had it serviced. The next time I took it in, they said my transmission needed flushed. I told them I'd already had it done the last time, and hoped that was not my transmission oil they were showing me on the little plastic tray. They said, Oh we must have the wrong tray! Well, I do not trust them. I have other stories but not the space. They are crooked. If you don't believe me, send in a decoy and see what they try to sell him or her!!!

- , Missoula, MT, USA

Aug 292016

Camry LE 2azfe

Extreme oil consumption 1.5 to 2 quarts Per 1000 miles

- , Belleville, IL, USA

Sep 032016

Camry SE 4 cyl

I had the 1200 mile oil consumption test done has requested by Toyota, they sealed all oil ports. after 1200 they checked it out and i was told that everything was fine, they would not tell me if they add a quart or how it measured on the dip stink. My question is how do i know if they added oil or how much it consumed using there so call oil consumption test? I told the the service manager that the after my previous oil change I checked the oil after 1200 miles and had to add a one quart of oil at that time, his response was that is perfectly normal. I think because of the 150,299 miles and Oct is one month away they did nothing

- , Tulare, CA, USA

Jun 302016

Camry

After getting an oil change the oil is bone dry in under 3000 miles

- , Trooper, PA, USA

Jul 142016

Camry SE

Why is it that we have these problems and the dealership will not cover the problems?

- , Central Islip, NY, USA

Apr 132016

Camry SE 2.4L 4-cyl

I had been aware of low oil in my car when getting full service oil changes at reputable organizations, but I did not worry much until a family member did an oil change for me and indicated I had near zero oil in the car. I started monitoring it very closely and had to buy extra oil and keep in in the trunk to keep the oil level up during long trips and then regular daily travel.

After moving towns, I was in for another full service oil change at a Valvoline shop when the technician again indicated that the car was quite low and mentioned that he heard through the grape vine that there were issues with Toyota engines and to take it to a dealer.

I went in on March 11, 2016 and Toyota put on the oil consumption test which consisted of zip tying the dipstick, placing stickers and other markings on the dipstick and oil fill cap, among other things less visible to my eye on the oil filter. I needed to drive the car for 1100 to 1300 miles and return for Toyota to evaluate the rate at which my engine was consuming oil. Ironically, only after that visit did I receive a formal piece of mail from Toyota describing the issue of excessive oil consumption. Thinking back to my visit with other Toyota customers around in the service center, my conversation was on somewhat of a hush-hush tone which now felt to me like they did not want other to know/publicize the issue.

Needless to say I returned about a month later on April 13, 2016 and Toyota confirmed that I failed the test meaning my car was consuming excessive amounts of oil. They take my car immediately and put me into a rental car. A few days later, I get a phone call from the dealer explaining that there are (2) types of pistons in 2007 Camry's and I have the rarest type which are on back order for a couple of weeks. There was apparently another Toyota in that needed the same rare pistons that they were already working on before I returned at the end of the oil consumption test. (NOTE for later on, I assumed this meant I was second in line). They told me I needed to come in, return the rental, continue driving my personal car, and save receipts for all the extra oil I need to add to stay in the safe operating range.

It is currently July 19, 2016 and I have been back to the dealer one time to find out about these pistons, rings, or whatever other parts are on the extreme back order since it has now been MONTHS not WEEKS. Upon my surprise visit, I was told by the Toyota service representative that they were sorry, the parts are still on back order with no idea when they would be showing up, and that I am now number 3 on the list?! They assured me that I would receive a phone call when the parts would be in, and it has been silent since.

Lastly to round out my rant thinking back to my return visit at the end of the oil consumption test, the Toyota service representative mentioned that because the final repair requires dismantling the engine to such a degree Toyota recommends also replacing something to do with the engine valve stems, seats, etc? Not being a car guy I am not exactly sure, but it did make sense to me. By the way, I am a mechanical engineer. The recommended repair was quoted around $500.

At this point, I was happy that my 2007 engine would get pretty much rebuilt. I care for my car religiously inside and out, and I have to say it looks pretty damn good for a 2007. In fact the service reps at Toyota even commented the same! The car has around 120k miles, and I was happy to think another $500 might allow me to keep this thing for a lot longer, but after talking with a "gear head" buddy at work (also mechanical engineer), he was very skeptical about the recommended valve repair. This put a lot of doubt in my mind, and it kind of felt like Toyota was trying to make a little but of money since all the parts and labor for the excessive oil consumption issue is on them. Fast forward four months with no updates from the dealer, and I am now one pissed off Toyota owner!

- , Saint Charles, IL, USA

May 042013

Camry LE 2.4L 4 cyl

Got a letter from Toyota about doing an oil consumption test at no cost, took it to Ralph Hayes Toyota of Anderson,Sc. and they started the test. I took it back in the mileage range they told me and was told that it did not qualify to be fixed. I have since did the test on my own and have found the oil consumption quiet excessive, ( more than a quart in the suggested mileage of 1300 miles). I don't think they want to fix it, I used to be a full time mechanic and know that a car should not use this much oil if the engine is right. Have noticed on first start up in the morning a large cloud of oil smoke from tail pipe. Thinking about taking it to a different dealership.

- , Elberton, GA, USA