CarComplaints.com Notes: An increasing number of Toyotas are experiencing excessive oil consumption and the 2007 Camry seems to be leading the charge.

Owners are reporting that their engines are deprived of oil halfway through their maintenance schedules and in some cases the damage is so bad that entirely new engines need to be installed, paid out of pocket. The issue may be a result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

Toyota has issued a TSB for this problem, but maintains their stance that vehicles equipped with a 2AZ-FE engine are burning through a “normal” amount of oil.

7.9

$2,012.00

2. rebuild engine or check oil frequently (25 reports)
  3. replace engine (22 reports)
  4. Toyota Canada's head office told me that it is acceptable fo (8 reports)
  5. replaced with heavier oil grade (2 reports)
  6. fixed problem under tsb 0094-11 (1 reports)
2007 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Camry:

2007 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 1 of 7)

Aug 122012

Camry

I used to equate Toyota with quality. The first one I bought, a 2007 Camry, is using a quart of oil every 1000 miles. And per the message boards I've read, Toyota doesn't give a sh*t. This will be the first and LAST Toyota in my driveway.

- , Graham, NC, USA

Oct 012014

Camry LE 2.4L

I have a Toyota Camry LE that I bought new. I have started noticing oil consumption in the last 2 years. I thought at first that I did not add enough oil when I changed the oil. I used 4.5 quarts and the dip stick was in the half range mark.

The car runs OK so far and I check the oil level every week.

I do believe this is a problem. I have no obvious leaks nor blue smoke.

Toyota, you lost me as a customer for ever. Sayonara.

If you do not really send letters to owners admitting your incompetence then you are done TOYOTA.

- , Rochester, MN, USA

Dec 012013

Camry LE 2.4L 4 cyl

I would like to reply to every ones complaint about the oil consumption issues on the 2.4 4 cyl. Toyota engines.

We own a 2007 Toyota Camry, purchased it at 44,000 miles, at about 70,000 miles we noticed it consuming larger than, I consider normal oil consumption. Upon my research and complaints to Toyota. I find the problem to be the ring lands on the piston are a very tight tolerance. Due to this is, any little bit of carbon build up will bind the oil rings into the piston, not allowing the ring to contact the cylinder wall fully to scrape the oil off the cylinder walls as they are designed to do. This allows that oil that remains on the cylinder wall to then be burned off causing oil to be consumed more rapidly.

I decided to try an age old product called Sea-Foam that I truly love for all sorts of engine problems. I poured half of the bottle in gas tank (Full tank). And the other half bottle into the oil reservoir. Drove the car for a week and then changed the oil. After that have been closely monitoring oil level on the vehicle. I can happily report now after driving it 1400 miles, it has not consumed any oil. That is a big fat ZERO oil. Spread the word, I don't guarantee this to fix every ones oil issue. But it has ours! What do you have to lose. A bottle of Sea-Foam is $10.

- , Madison, Ohio, USA

Aug 152014

Camry SE 2.4L

I own a 2007 Toyota Camry, with 144,918 miles on it. I noticed about 10,000 miles ago that it started to go through a lot of oil. I thought I may have had a serious oil leak, but could never see any on the ground or on any hard surfaces where we parked. Found no gasket leaks or any problems in that respect. Checked the tailpipe and found that it was COAL BLACK. That leads me to believe that that is where my oil is going..

- , Hart, MI, USA

Mar 152013

Camry LE 2.4L

IT IS A SHAME THAT TOYOTA HAS NOT INFORMED OWNERS TO EXPECT EXCESSIVE OIL CONSUMPTION ON THIS ENGINE. IT IS NOT WORTH THE REPAIR COSTS SO IT IS BEST TO CONTINUE ADDING OIL EVERY 1000 MILES.

- , Xenia, OH, USA

Oct 012013

Camry LE

Noticed oil light came on around 104k miles and I know I had changed the oil not even 3k miles prior to this. Since then I have had to check oil. It uses about a quart and a half every 1,000 miles now. Very bad for what bills itself as a great product.

- , Akron, Ohio, USA

Nov 012014

Camry ES 4 cyl

I bought this 2007 Toyota Camry with 90,000 miles on it. Now it's starting to consume oil at an alarming rate. When I read the other complaints I was extremely disappointed in Toyota's lack of care for their customers. I have driven Toyota's for years due to there reliability and value. They used to stand by their product but now it appears they just don't care. This should be a recall and the problem fixed by Toyota. Next time, I'm buying a Honda.

- , New Lenox, Illinois, USA

Jun 082012

Camry

Bought my 2007 Camry at Carmax in 2010 with about 30,000 miles on it. I loved it for a few years, but when I go to about 60,000 it started going through more oil. It got worse and worse until now I have to put about a quart in every week (probably 500-600 miles). I looked online to try to find a solution as I know there is no leak and I found this site. Amazing that this is such a problem and nothing is being done. I can honestly say if nothing ends up being done about it I won't ever buy a Toyota again.

- , Annapolis, MD, USA

Nov 012014

Camry SE 2.4L

I am adding 1 quart every 500 miles. Expected the engine to last at least 200K. Very disappointed with the results of my camry. Still runs well just have to remember to check oil frequently.

- , Germantown, Tennessee, USA

Dec 062012

Camry LE 2.4L

It's bad when a company like Toyota does not take care of their customers. I had the extended warranty to 100k and those folks told me it's normal consumption. I have bought a 2014 Camry last year. I believe that's going to be my last Toyota. I had asked the Dealer a few years back and they told me the same story "That's normal for the oil to burn off" but it has gotten worse. I am adding a quart every month now. When I forget to add I have to add two quarts. I believe I might have done some permanent damage to the engine.

- , Orlando, FL, USA

May 012012

Camry LX 2.4L

I got this 2007 2.4l engine Toyota Camry in 2012. When I bought it around 90k miles, I turned this car into a Taxi cab and I noticed that it had oil comsumption problem. Because this car still was in the extended warrenty, which is 10 years/100,000 miles, I took it to dealer, but the extended warrenty program would not accept this oil comsuption problem. They said the Taxi cab was not included in this program. So I had no choice, I just kept adding the engine oil.

When it run around 100k miles, I had to add 1 quart around every 1000 miles, when it run around 140k miles, I had to add 1 quart around every 800 miles, when it run around 170k miles, I had to add 1 quart around every 500miles, when it run around 200k miles, I had to add 1 quart around every 300 miles, when it run around 225k miles, I had to add 1 quart around every 260 miles, ..............

Now this Camry cab has 231,800 miles, I am wondering according to above engine oil consumption, maybe one day, I have to add 1 quart oil every 10 miles, or maybe 1 quart even 1 mile.

What a terrible Toyota Camry Oil Consumption! Why doesnot Toyota give a recall for such a terrible problem?

- , Lutherville, MD, USA

Feb 012014

Camry 4 cyl

I purchased 2007 Toyota Camry x2 two years ago. I maintain it 100%. Starting in February, I was getting oiled changed as per Toyota manuel. I started noticing my oil engine light would come on every time I braked hard. Took my car into Merchant Tires to have oil change done. Two days later, I took the car back, thinking, they forgot to put the oil plug back in. I was shocked when I was told, the car has a oil consumption problem. I am now spending money every week keeping oil in the vehicle.

- , Woodbridge, VA, USA

Apr 012013

Camry

Hi, my sentiments that Bill expressed exactly, I have a 2007, thought to check my oil, found it empty, was shocked. The dealership didn't blink an eye and said that was normal. Since, have to carry oil in my car to refill at least twice a month and I too have the same feeling about selling the car to a unsuspecting person, not comfortable at all.

- , Houston, TX, USA

Nov 012013

Camry

I think it's really crappy that Toyota doesn't step up & admit that there is obviously a problem with the 2007 Camry oil consumption!!!!! I for one am not "drinking" the oil I pay to have put in my car but it sure the hell is Going somewhere! At every oil change it is at minimal 1 quart low of oil...sometimes worse! Wake up Toyota this is a PROBLEM!!!!! So fess up that you have made a mistake & help To find a solution. Or it may result in some unhappy, nonreturnable customers!!!

- , Staffordsville, KY, USA

Sep 132014

Camry LE 4

I get my car serviced at the Toyota dealership and never was this brought to my attention.......Until I had an oil change and before the next oil change was due my engine was making a noise as if it were out of oil. So I checked the oil and there was no oil on the dip stick. I took it back to the dealership and they stated that it was 2.2 quarts low. This is very annoying because they suggested that I either have the engine rebuilt or buy a new car. Sorry, that was not in my plan!

I understand that things happen to cars as they age, but being a previous Toyota owner, I was sure I could get another 100,000 miles on my vehicle! Needless to say, I am not happy with the options. If Toyota knows this is a problem, why not fix this for the consumers who believed in their brand.

- , Cincinnati, OH, USA

Feb 152013

Camry

I purchased my car used Jan 2013 and shortly after my oil light came on. Checked the oil level and it was not registering any on the oil stick. Filled it and checked couple weeks later, SAME THING. Since then have had oil changes every 3 months AND dumping oil in excessively in between. Had appointment to have Toyota check but was told I would have to pay over $100 just to assess the situation and was told by service team scheduling appointment that sometimes oil does have to be added frequently and it is normal.

Talked to my own mechanic who found all this info online that Toyota was/is not taking responsibility for this situation. My mechanic said only thing to do is get rid of car or replace motor. Unfortunately I paid too much for the car and am upside down in it to get rid of it at a dealer and would not be able to sleep at night if I were to sell it to another family and dump this problem on them. I do not have the money to be spending on so much oil as a single mom LET ALONE REPLACING THE ENGINE. Kinda stuck now and really in an unfortunate situation.

Update from Nov 2, 2014: CORRECTION - mileage is 130,000 and vehicle is a manual.

- , Ridgefield, WA, USA

Feb 142013

Camry SE 2.4L

I have been experiencing this high oil consumption since 2013. I had purchased my Camry back in 2006. The first time I observe this issue was when my check oil light came on. I thought that the mechanic that changed the oil must have held back a quart. As a result, I confronted him and blamed him for the problem. He informed me that he will never do such a thing, and of course, I did not believe him. Since I change my oil religiously every 3000 miles, I monitored my oil level after the incident. I could not believe what I had learned.

My car is always parked in front of my garage and there is no evidence of oil leakage. I checked the oil immediately after the oil change and all was well. However, when I checked the oil level after about 1000 miles I needed to add a quart. I was shocked, and realized that I owed the mechanic an apology. Nonetheless, I thought my car had 130,000 miles and therefore, it must be normal that the car is burning oil. Two days ago, I need to drive from New Jersey to Connecticut, and so I checked my oil level. After only about 1,500 miles following my oil change, I had to add 2 quarts of oil.

However, when I went on the trip with my boss, I got into a discussion with him about his car and its oil consumption. He drives a Toyota Avalon. He informed me that his car has over 170,000 miles on it and he does not have to be constantly adding oil to his engine. My car is strictly used for driving to work or to church; etc., and mostly driven by my wife or myself.

Consequently, as a result of my discussion with boss yesterday, I simply decided to Google “oil issues on Camry 2007” this morning and WA-LA!!! There are just too many complaints about the 2007 model. I can’t believe the Toyota company will allow this issue to continue with so many complaints. They just lost me as a customer. Since, I was planning to by a Lexus IS. I had always held the brand to a higher standard, but the many disheartening complaints that I have seen on the web, shows the type of disdain that is symptomatic of a bigger problem within the organization. It sadly illustrates the lack of care or concern for their customers.

Wm. Gardner

- , Bayoone, NJ, USA

Feb 062014

Camry LE V4

I purchased the 2007 Toyota Camry used in 2010. Got regular oil changes and maintenance. No problems. 2014 the oil light came on and when I check there was not a drop of oil in the car. So I thought I was being cheated during the oil changes. Had it changed at home. Started checking it weekly..same thing. No oil leak found.

Check website about the problem ...all posts stated Toyota was aware of the issue due to a defect in the pistons, but did not do a recall..suggestion was to just keep oil in the car. Well here we are today....replacing motor @ $1400...no back up car...really disgusted. Now don't even know how long the refurbished motor is going to last...Really don't want to buy a new car because I thought the Toyota would last at 10 years.

- , Greensboro, NC, USA

Aug 152014

Camry

Oil light comes on between 950 and 1200 miles. The problem has happen 3 times since August.

I'll be taking my car to Toyota this week. Hopefully I can get some answers this time.

- , Coventry, RI, USA

Jul 012014

Camry LE I4

Toyota quality is going down!

I bought the car new in 2006. The dealer has my phone number, address, (not sure about e-mail address), and I didn't move until 2 years ago (even if I moved, the new owner is a friend would give me the mail when we meet. We live about 500 meters away). I never got any mail or phone call about the oil burning problem as stated in T-SB-0094-11. I routinely came to the same dealer for service.

The issue started after the warranty was over so the dealer didn't care much. Their fix for me was to buy a new car. The oil burning was so bad that I decided to Google it and there I go: a lot of owners complained about the exact same problem. I read one of the complaint about having two oil changes for each oil change interval suggested by the manual. It means it costs twice as much for the oil change.

If it's about the leaky gasket, I will try to use 5W30 oil (instead of 5W20 as stated on the engine cap) to see if it slows down the oil burning. The problem is I am in Canada and the winter is always below 0 C for months in a row. Thicker oil might cost me more in the gas side.

- , Brampton, Ontario, canada