CarComplaints.com Notes: An increasing number of Toyotas are experiencing excessive oil consumption and the 2007 Camry seems to be leading the charge.

Owners are reporting that their engines are deprived of oil halfway through their maintenance schedules and in some cases the damage is so bad that entirely new engines need to be installed, paid out of pocket. The issue may be a result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

Toyota has issued a TSB for this problem, but maintains their stance that vehicles equipped with a 2AZ-FE engine are burning through a “normal” amount of oil.

8.0

$2,213.00

2. rebuild engine or check oil frequently (22 reports)
  3. replace engine (22 reports)
  4. Toyota Canada's head office told me that it is acceptable fo (8 reports)
  5. replaced with heavier oil grade (2 reports)
  6. fixed problem under tsb 0094-11 (1 reports)
2007 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Camry:

2007 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 1 of 7)

Dec 062012

Camry LE 2.4L

It's bad when a company like Toyota does not take care of their customers. I had the extended warranty to 100k and those folks told me it's normal consumption. I have bought a 2014 Camry last year. I believe that's going to be my last Toyota. I had asked the Dealer a few years back and they told me the same story "That's normal for the oil to burn off" but it has gotten worse. I am adding a quart every month now. When I forget to add I have to add two quarts. I believe I might have done some permanent damage to the engine.

- , Orlando, FL, USA

May 012012

Camry LX 2.4L

I got this 2007 2.4l engine Toyota Camry in 2012. When I bought it around 90k miles, I turned this car into a Taxi cab and I noticed that it had oil comsumption problem. Because this car still was in the extended warrenty, which is 10 years/100,000 miles, I took it to dealer, but the extended warrenty program would not accept this oil comsuption problem. They said the Taxi cab was not included in this program. So I had no choice, I just kept adding the engine oil.

When it run around 100k miles, I had to add 1 quart around every 1000 miles, when it run around 140k miles, I had to add 1 quart around every 800 miles, when it run around 170k miles, I had to add 1 quart around every 500miles, when it run around 200k miles, I had to add 1 quart around every 300 miles, when it run around 225k miles, I had to add 1 quart around every 260 miles, ..............

Now this Camry cab has 231,800 miles, I am wondering according to above engine oil consumption, maybe one day, I have to add 1 quart oil every 10 miles, or maybe 1 quart even 1 mile.

What a terrible Toyota Camry Oil Consumption! Why doesnot Toyota give a recall for such a terrible problem?

- , Lutherville, MD, USA

Feb 012014

Camry 4 cyl

I purchased 2007 Toyota Camry x2 two years ago. I maintain it 100%. Starting in February, I was getting oiled changed as per Toyota manuel. I started noticing my oil engine light would come on every time I braked hard. Took my car into Merchant Tires to have oil change done. Two days later, I took the car back, thinking, they forgot to put the oil plug back in. I was shocked when I was told, the car has a oil consumption problem. I am now spending money every week keeping oil in the vehicle.

- , Woodbridge, VA, USA

Apr 012013

Camry

Hi, my sentiments that Bill expressed exactly, I have a 2007, thought to check my oil, found it empty, was shocked. The dealership didn't blink an eye and said that was normal. Since, have to carry oil in my car to refill at least twice a month and I too have the same feeling about selling the car to a unsuspecting person, not comfortable at all.

- , Houston, TX, USA

Nov 012013

Camry

I think it's really crappy that Toyota doesn't step up & admit that there is obviously a problem with the 2007 Camry oil consumption!!!!! I for one am not "drinking" the oil I pay to have put in my car but it sure the hell is Going somewhere! At every oil change it is at minimal 1 quart low of oil...sometimes worse! Wake up Toyota this is a PROBLEM!!!!! So fess up that you have made a mistake & help To find a solution. Or it may result in some unhappy, nonreturnable customers!!!

- , Staffordsville, KY, USA

Sep 132014

Camry LE 4

I get my car serviced at the Toyota dealership and never was this brought to my attention.......Until I had an oil change and before the next oil change was due my engine was making a noise as if it were out of oil. So I checked the oil and there was no oil on the dip stick. I took it back to the dealership and they stated that it was 2.2 quarts low. This is very annoying because they suggested that I either have the engine rebuilt or buy a new car. Sorry, that was not in my plan!

I understand that things happen to cars as they age, but being a previous Toyota owner, I was sure I could get another 100,000 miles on my vehicle! Needless to say, I am not happy with the options. If Toyota knows this is a problem, why not fix this for the consumers who believed in their brand.

- , Cincinnati, OH, USA

Feb 152013

Camry

I purchased my car used Jan 2013 and shortly after my oil light came on. Checked the oil level and it was not registering any on the oil stick. Filled it and checked couple weeks later, SAME THING. Since then have had oil changes every 3 months AND dumping oil in excessively in between. Had appointment to have Toyota check but was told I would have to pay over $100 just to assess the situation and was told by service team scheduling appointment that sometimes oil does have to be added frequently and it is normal.

Talked to my own mechanic who found all this info online that Toyota was/is not taking responsibility for this situation. My mechanic said only thing to do is get rid of car or replace motor. Unfortunately I paid too much for the car and am upside down in it to get rid of it at a dealer and would not be able to sleep at night if I were to sell it to another family and dump this problem on them. I do not have the money to be spending on so much oil as a single mom LET ALONE REPLACING THE ENGINE. Kinda stuck now and really in an unfortunate situation.

Update from Nov 2, 2014: CORRECTION - mileage is 130,000 and vehicle is a manual.

- , Ridgefield, WA, USA

Feb 142013

Camry SE 2.4L

I have been experiencing this high oil consumption since 2013. I had purchased my Camry back in 2006. The first time I observe this issue was when my check oil light came on. I thought that the mechanic that changed the oil must have held back a quart. As a result, I confronted him and blamed him for the problem. He informed me that he will never do such a thing, and of course, I did not believe him. Since I change my oil religiously every 3000 miles, I monitored my oil level after the incident. I could not believe what I had learned.

My car is always parked in front of my garage and there is no evidence of oil leakage. I checked the oil immediately after the oil change and all was well. However, when I checked the oil level after about 1000 miles I needed to add a quart. I was shocked, and realized that I owed the mechanic an apology. Nonetheless, I thought my car had 130,000 miles and therefore, it must be normal that the car is burning oil. Two days ago, I need to drive from New Jersey to Connecticut, and so I checked my oil level. After only about 1,500 miles following my oil change, I had to add 2 quarts of oil.

However, when I went on the trip with my boss, I got into a discussion with him about his car and its oil consumption. He drives a Toyota Avalon. He informed me that his car has over 170,000 miles on it and he does not have to be constantly adding oil to his engine. My car is strictly used for driving to work or to church; etc., and mostly driven by my wife or myself.

Consequently, as a result of my discussion with boss yesterday, I simply decided to Google “oil issues on Camry 2007” this morning and WA-LA!!! There are just too many complaints about the 2007 model. I can’t believe the Toyota company will allow this issue to continue with so many complaints. They just lost me as a customer. Since, I was planning to by a Lexus IS. I had always held the brand to a higher standard, but the many disheartening complaints that I have seen on the web, shows the type of disdain that is symptomatic of a bigger problem within the organization. It sadly illustrates the lack of care or concern for their customers.

Wm. Gardner

- , Bayoone, NJ, USA

Feb 062014

Camry LE V4

I purchased the 2007 Toyota Camry used in 2010. Got regular oil changes and maintenance. No problems. 2014 the oil light came on and when I check there was not a drop of oil in the car. So I thought I was being cheated during the oil changes. Had it changed at home. Started checking it weekly..same thing. No oil leak found.

Check website about the problem ...all posts stated Toyota was aware of the issue due to a defect in the pistons, but did not do a recall..suggestion was to just keep oil in the car. Well here we are today....replacing motor @ $1400...no back up car...really disgusted. Now don't even know how long the refurbished motor is going to last...Really don't want to buy a new car because I thought the Toyota would last at 10 years.

- , Greensboro, NC, USA

Aug 152014

Camry

Oil light comes on between 950 and 1200 miles. The problem has happen 3 times since August.

I'll be taking my car to Toyota this week. Hopefully I can get some answers this time.

- , Coventry, RI, USA

Jul 012014

Camry LE I4

Toyota quality is going down!

I bought the car new in 2006. The dealer has my phone number, address, (not sure about e-mail address), and I didn't move until 2 years ago (even if I moved, the new owner is a friend would give me the mail when we meet. We live about 500 meters away). I never got any mail or phone call about the oil burning problem as stated in T-SB-0094-11. I routinely came to the same dealer for service.

The issue started after the warranty was over so the dealer didn't care much. Their fix for me was to buy a new car. The oil burning was so bad that I decided to Google it and there I go: a lot of owners complained about the exact same problem. I read one of the complaint about having two oil changes for each oil change interval suggested by the manual. It means it costs twice as much for the oil change.

If it's about the leaky gasket, I will try to use 5W30 oil (instead of 5W20 as stated on the engine cap) to see if it slows down the oil burning. The problem is I am in Canada and the winter is always below 0 C for months in a row. Thicker oil might cost me more in the gas side.

- , Brampton, Ontario, canada

Oct 062014

Camry LE I4

Same old excessive oil burning problem but I just want to file a second complaint to make my point across because changing oil (or adding 3 or 4 L of oil) 3 months after the oil change is not "normal" considering the manual states 6 months interval. I'm always driving on highway.

- , Brampton, Ontario, canada

Jul 012014

Camry

At around 92000 miles our 2007 Toyota Camry oil light started to flash on and off. I checked the oil and it was about 3 quarts low. I took it to the local Toyota dealer and they said we needed to change the PCV valve, change the oil and start an oil consumption test and I needed to bring it back in 1200 miles. In 1200 miles the oil level was Ok. In 1700 miles it had used 1/2 quart of oil. I have told the dealer I am aware of the Toyota oil consumption problem and I want it fixed. I bought the car new and I have done all of the Toyota recommend services and I don't expect it to be using oil. I am a Toyota user because I believe in the product. This time they have tried to cover this problem up so the owners do not know about it.

- , Greensboro, NC, USA

Sep 232014

Camry XLE 4-cyl

On September 23rd, 2014 my "oil pressure light "came on, and then again on 09-26-14. I always regularly serviced my car at the Toyota dealer. At first I said "OK it's time for an oil change", but with the miles that I used so far, it was not ready to be scheduled for an oil change yet. I immediately knew that there was a problem with my car. I did some research and learned that I was not the only one having this problem. I don't have a couple of thousands to pay for the repair; especially since this is not my fault.

- , Alexandria, VA, USA

Jun 012013

Camry LE 4 cyl

Our 2007 Camry LE (4 cy engine) began burning oil in about June of 2013 with about 110,000 miles on it. The local Toyota dealers have been the only ones to perform our oil changes, of which, each was performed in a timely fashion. It's beyond understanding and logic that a Toyota product, when well maintained, would begin burning oil. The reason we bought Toyota products was because of their quantity and reliability and their durability. Now in the market before I wanted to be for a new car. Don't thing I'll get another Toyota if this is their new standard of quality.

- , Lakeland, Tennessee, USA

May 012014

Camry LE V4

My husband looked up and discovered the problem from the web search. We than told Hudson Toyota in Jersey City, NJ whom never notified us to this problem, thus they preformed a oil/mileage check and determined that yes, there is a problem. But have not told me if they will fix it. The only thing they said is that there was a service bulletin but I never received this via mail or was notified when my vehicle was ever serviced. Which is very disturbing and still till this day I haven't received any word on whether they will fix this problem.

- , Hasbrouck Heights, NJ, USA

Aug 012014

Camry 4

My 2007 Camry showed my oil lamp on and off for two weeks. I just had my oil changed approx. 2500 miles ago. I always change it every 4000 miles. I went to have my oil changed/checked anyhow and had them check how much oil they drained. They said about 2 quarts. OMG how can that be. My car is not leaking and not burning oil and I was informed that 2007 Camry's have an "Oil Consumption" issue. Not good. My last car was a Camry also and this did not happen. I will be looking to get rid of this car and go with a Hyundai or Ford or Honda or anyone else now that this occurred.

So not happy with Toyota:(

- , Fairfield, Ohio, USA

Aug 112014

Camry

My car began to release smoke from the tail pipe and once I took it in I was told that I needed a new engine. I don't understand how a car with 68,000 miles can need a new engine. I did find it odd that the light that warns to change the oil would turn on more frequently than needed.

I maintain my car very responsibly and I am 8,000 miles over the warranty period. I strongly feel that the engine was defective which is why it was burning oil much faster than it should have. Now I have to replace the engine and pay for it myself. I talked to a Toyota representative and she said that there was nothing that could be done to help pay for that. A consumer should not have to pay for the damage caused by a defective product!!!

We need a class action lawsuit for this problem because I am aware that many other people are experiencing similar problems.

- , Alhambra, CA, USA

Aug 252014

Camry LE 4 cyl

With the 2007 Toyota Camry, I am the original owner and have no complaints up to this point. Each recall or issue under warranty was handled as expected. When I was told that my car was down 2 quarts at an oil change, I was shocked as I had not seen the car leaving oil marks. The car has not been leaking oil, burning oil rather. I have had to check the oil weekly for the last several months and have had to add at least a quart a week. The car is "puffing" white smoke when turned on and while driving. When I took the car to the Toyota dealer, I was told I need an engine rebuild, new pistons, rings, etc and the cost would be $2850. After a total of 3 mechanical opinions, I was told that this may or may not fix the problem. I was guaranteed a one year/12000 mile warranty from the dealer and that this may happen again or other parts of the engine not fixed may fail. I am concerned that Toyota is supposedly America's most reliable car brand and that the engine has failed at this few miles. After reviewing and research, I see that many other of the same complaints are happening to Toyota owners. Please Help!

- , Lansing, MI, USA

Jan 062011

Camry ES

I bought this car in 2007 brand new. I would take it to service every 5,000 miles for the oil change and would have the minor inspection every once in a while. Well my dad will check it for me and he will mention that there was a problem with car consuming oil and that it was not normal for a new car to do that. I told that he was wrong because I would take it to the dealer to get an oil change and that they never mentioned anything about that so I ignored my father but still I kept that in my mind. So I would check it myself every once in a while when I would go on road trips and yes, he was right, the car was low on oil.

I did mentioned it to the dealer and they told me that there was no leak back a couple of years ago. Now my car has 139,000 miles and took it for service this weekend and now they are telling me that there's an oil leak coming from the engine that it will cost me around $1,300 or more to fix or I can just keep an eye on it and just put oil when needed.

I did some research and came to this site and saw the reviews. I'm not alone, I had to put in my complaint as well.

- , Los Angeles, California, USA