CarComplaints.com Notes: An increasing number of Toyotas are experiencing excessive oil consumption and the 2007 Camry seems to be leading the charge.

Owners are reporting that their engines are deprived of oil halfway through their maintenance schedules and in some cases the damage is so bad that entirely new engines need to be installed, paid out of pocket. The issue may be a result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

Toyota has issued a TSB for this problem, but maintains their stance that vehicles equipped with a 2AZ-FE engine are burning through a “normal” amount of oil.

7.7

$2,202.00

2. rebuild engine or check oil frequently (37 reports)
  3. replace engine (28 reports)
  4. Toyota Canada's head office told me that it is acceptable fo (7 reports)
  5. dealer said it's normal (3 reports)
  6. replace piston assembly (3 reports)
2007 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Camry:

2007 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 1 of 12)

Mar 232017

Camry LE 2.4L

The car has been using over a quart of oil every thousand miles. Took the car into Toyota. Was told that the car was out of warranty and exceeded mileage limit. (It was 2 months out of warranty and 10 miles over the limit!!!) Was told to call Toyota Customer Service. They responded the same way as the dealership. We've been loyal Toyota customers since 1989. Our 3 sons are also Toyota customers. You've lost us all! You've known about this problem since 2011 but we were never notified about it.

- , Johnsburg, IL, US

Feb 042013

Camry LE 2.4L

I’m disabled person in wheelchair, depending only of Social Security Benefits. Is expensive to maintain my Toyota Camry 2007, 4 cylinders, with excessive oil consumption. I have to add 2 quarters of oil every 2,000 miles. My car is only with 100,000 miles. I bought it 4, 1/2 years ago. I have had problems with oil consumption every since I had my Toyota. Is possible that I can join to the class action law suite? I Live in California, the San Diego North County. Blessings.

- , San Marcos, Ca., US

Mar 162017

Camry CE 2.4L 4 cyl

Seems Toyota is being evasive regarding a specific oil consumption parameter set from dealer to dealer, and owners have a wide range of responses from their dealers. My car is definitely consuming oil at an alarming rate, and although my local dealer has been very responsive, after reading posted comments by other owners nationwide, I do not trust Toyota to complete the required repair at no coat to me and in a timely fashion. I also have seen no information on if the factory-specified repair corrects the problem, or what the reasonable expectation for future longevity of the 4 cylinder engine might be with responsible maintenance and operation.

- , Duluth, US

Mar 012016

Camry XLE 2.4L 4 cyl

I have had 3 other Toyotas, 1990 Toyota Corolla...568,000 mi, 1994 Camry LE....531,000 mi, 2004 Camry XLE......206,000 mi, neither of these vehicles used oil, I changed oil every 3000 mi. After I had an accident with the 2004, I replaced that with a used 2007 Camry XLE that had 146,000 mi. on it. After about 6 months when I had the oil changed, it was mentioned to me that the oil was low on the stick. Within 6 months the oil light came on with only 1900 mi. on it. Added a quart and then it came on again after 900 mi. I then had the oil changed and since then been adding oil between oil changes. A friend of mine mentioned about the problems Toyota has had with the oil consumptions on certain vehicles. I got the 2007 because of the style change. Looks like I got ALOT more that I am NOT pleased with!!

- , Sheboygan, US

Jul 182016

Camry SE 4

Toyota said after doing the consumption test that it is using 1 1/2 qt in the test distance although they said they add 1 qt and then the measure is the accurate amount of consumption after adding the qt so it did not fit the level of consumption they consider needing repair, to them it consumed 1/2 qt.

- , Brooklyn Center, US

Apr 152015

Camry LE 3.2L

First of all, I wish I had known of "carcomplaints" early on - a friend who is outraged with how this has not been taken care of, gave me your info.

Went in for my usual oil change and I was notified that there was less oil than there should have been. (April 2015) BEFORE I could begin the oil consumption test, they go over the car for any other issues. Found and insisted had to repair a broken motor mount before oil consumption test. Which I did. I have been through numerous oil consumption tests (oil changes) at which time my service writer did say, it was obvious that I had failed. Prior to his ("failed") comment, one of the studies, I thought to check how much oil was put in the day after my oil change( & at least 3rd test)....the oil was way OVER FULL! (interesting...) So again, had to wait and do another study at the NEXT oil change, 5,000 miles away!

I was in for oil consumption/oil change September 23, 2016. 5 weeks later the Oil light came and stayed on. I was then told (11/9/16 - 151,369 miles) that I was out of warranty - when they checked the car and the oil level - they said adding one quart of oil, the car still didn't register any oil....can't believe I was driving with barely any oil!!! Service writer, still said, "out of warranty" even tho' we had gone through a number of tests and oil changes...that I had to now personally contact TOYOTA to get the matter taken care of. The Service Writer made it sound like he was on my side and that Toyota would be contacting them for their opinion and "my character" - REALLY? I called Toyota: Nov. 9, 2016 Received CASE #1611091669 (Sarita) - never received a follow up call. I called again: DEC 13, 2016 (Mille) - I was told, "went to another review board". Rec'd call from Robert DEC 13, 2016, very apologetic, "I should have been called back by now, Toyota (corporate) is in the middle of move", and blah, blah, blah. He gave me his contact # - "Call me anytime". He would be getting back to me. FEB 15, 2017 - I spoke to dealership - my case has been DENIED: OUT OF WARRANTY. It was quite obvious that many of the tests that were done - the car had failed. So have been jerked around for 18 months!!!!

- , Tamarac, US

Feb 202017

Camry LX 4 cyl

My 2007 Camry with 155,000 miles excessively burn oil at the rate of a quart every 1000 miles

- , Stillwater, US

Sep 292016

Camry LE 4L

I have a 2007 Toyota Camry. In the past 8 months I've noticed it was using more oil than before. I brought it into my mechanic and he told me that Toyota has a recall on oil consumptions. In October of 2016 I brought it into the Toyota service department to do a consumption test...the mileage at the time of oil change was 128,054--they told me to bring it back between 129,154-129,354. I brought it back to Toyota at 129,184. The told me the vehicle past and he added a quart of oil. I was experiencing another problem with my vehicle and brought it back to my mechanic...he called me and told me that I had NO OIL in my vehicle...the mileage was 130,910...it was 2.75 quarts low and not registering on the dip stick. I immediately was advised to call Toyota. They told me that at my next oil change in February to bring it back to them and they would conduct another test. So, today February 13th 2017 I went into Toyota. The serve person told me he couldn't help me as "Time had expired" on the recall for my car. I showed him the my mechanics findings and he said there was nothing he could do......I replied..."I was told to bring it back in because it is consuming more oil than it should" He said "Looks that way".'but there is nothing I can do, your time has expired for the recall"......I am pissed. I will never do business again at the Toyota dealership or have it service there. I don't think they even check and added oil when I brought it in for the recall.

- , Saint Cloud, MN, USA

Aug 082016

Camry LE

After having regularly scheduled oil changes, I am having to put in 1-2 quarts of oil at least twice before the next scheduled oil change. This is very costly and irritating. Any time that I do not check it (because the light does NOT come on) I run the risk of having the engine blow up.

- , Raleigh, NC, USA

Dec 212015

Camry LE 2.4L

Hi, This is regarding excessive engine oil consumption in my 2007 Toyota Camry LE. I bought it on Feb 16, 2007 in Idaho and have been extremely diligent about oil change every 5000 miles. I have all service records. The car currently has 88000 miles as of Jan 22, 2017 and I started noticing this problem at 75000 miles or so. I came to know about the recall from a friend and went to the dealer in Dec 2015 where they did the 1200 miles, 1 quart consumption test. The result was negative so the dealer gave a pass.

Few months later I randomly checked the dip stick and there wasn't a trace of oil on it. There was no red engine light and I dont even know if I was running my car dry or at a very low level. I immediately added oil to the engine and went to the dealer again (Piercy Toyota in Milpitas). They did the same 1200 miles test and again give it a pass. I went online and read about similar complaints where Toyota has recommended adding 1 quart every 1200 miles. I have been adding 1 quart ever since. So after every oil change at 5000 miles, I have to add 1 quart 3 times in between the oil change which I find extremely absurd. It could be possible that engine is consuming even more.

Toyotas are known for reliability up to 150k, 200k miles, mine hasn't even reached 100k yet. I seriously believe there is a problem in the engine but don't know where to go to get this problem fixed. Thanks

- , San Jose, CA, USA

Jun 102015

Camry LE 4 cyl

First of all, there was a recall for oil consumption for 2007-09 Camry models a couple of years ago. I know this because Toyota sent notices out then to see if our car was affected. They offered to do a oil consumption test for a thousand miles of normal driving. Of course they found nothing wrong and we're still adding oil to this damn car at least every 2 weeks!! As of today 12/21/2016 the car is making a not so good sound from the engine which means this is getting worse. To make things worse,I was at the dealership this morning for buy back appraisal and the salesperson told me some of the cars that had the same problem were fixed free of charge! I'm going to fight this because I should'nt have to shell out several thousand dollars for something we did'nt do. I'm writing Toyota and will problably contact a lawyer.

- , Wake Forest, NC, USA

Jan 012017

Camry LE

I am the second owner of this 2007 Toyota Camry. I did not know this make/model had engine oil consumption issues. I continued to tell the dealer it burns oil. Finally in early 2017 they say lets run an "oil consumption test." This was the first I heard of this type of test. They performed this test with no charge to me. The car failed, used 2 quarts for 1100 miles. They then told me I was outside of the window that Toyota would repair. Never was I told about this type of problem, repair, timeline, nothing. I called Toyota CEC and again was told sorry, outside of timeline. This is extremely frustrating and this will be the last Toyota I ever own.

- , Cold Spring, MN, USA

Nov 142008

Camry LE 2.4L

bought Camry in 2008 second owners car has always used oil but in the last 60,000 miles is using over a quart every 1,000 miles

- , Fair Grove, MO, USA

Dec 312016

Camry LE 2.4L

in the last oil change notice that only 4 quarts came out of the engine, took the car to the dealer for the oil consumption test, the oil level at that time was perfect because we just change the oil, the dealer seal the system and requested to drive the car for 1300 miles, upon return to the dealer i was told that the car was ok and that it was not burning engine oil, after that an engine oil change was perform and to my surprise only 4 quarts came out instead of 5 quarts, so the vehicle is burning oil about a quart for every thousand miles. the problem still exist.

- , Rio Grande, Puerto Rico

Dec 222016

Camry

The car uses oil excessively. The manufacture will repair engine if falls with in warranty period even though it is a noted defect. This problem appeared after warranty, thus not covered.

- , Marietta, GA, USA

Oct 312016

Camry XLE 2.4L

Toyota has a 'Warranty Enhancement' program for certain vehicles that exhibit excessive oil consumption. My 2007 Camry will burn 3 quarts in a month. There are 2 means to coverage. Primary "Until October 2016 regardless of mileage". Secondary "10 years or 150,000 miles from first use, whatever comes first"

Toyota has Jun. 13 2006 as first use. This was purchased as a used vehicle. Vehicle was brought to dealership Nov 29, 2016 for the Oil Consumption test. Test was completed Dec 28, 2016 and dealership confirmed that the warranty would cover the repair, however when the dealership put the repair through Toyota, it was denied saying the coverage was exceeded. At no time did dealership indicate warranty would not be honored.

If you go by the Primary coverage timeline, it was only missed by a few weeks (October to November) Having purchased the vehicle used I had no idea the issued existed and more so I'm being penalized for having the original owner take delivery Jun of 2006.

We are talking about a repair of $3000 plus, at best, for a issue know to exist and missing the primary coverage by just a few weeks. Toyota should have been a bit more lenient for a loyal Toyota owner however they are hiding behind a policy that can easily bed waived for only a few weeks missed

So upset and disappointed and I will never buy Toyota again

- , Poughkeepsie, NY, USA

Dec 092015

Camry LX 2.2L

Have recorded documentation from dealer. Dealership gives run around refuses to acknowledge problem, Refuses to fix. Gives misinformation, Documents incorrect mileage, provides no documentation for rules or guide lines of recall. No notification ever received in mail or other wise. Had to find out on my own.

- , Hartford, SD, USA

Aug 152014

Camry LE 2.4L Dohc

I own a Toyota Seqouia SR 2002, Toyota Camry LE 2002 and Toyota Camry LE 2007. Both the Sequioa 2002 SR and Toyota Camry 2002 LE does not have excessive oil consumption problem and very happy with both of them. I do my oil change at 4 to 5 months interval or 5,000 miles or whichever comes first. If I do the same for my Toyota Camry LE 2007, my oil will be bone dry and surely fail due to thermal expansion and overheating. Every 3 weeks I have to add a quart of oil or a little less to bring the oil to the lowest hash mark on the dipstick. I drive the car for an average of about 900 to 1000 miles every 3 to 4 weeks. I cannot remember the last time I had an oil change on this car because I put a quart of oil every 3 to 4 weeks. If I do not add oil in 4 to 5 months like I do with my other Toyotas, I will for sure breakdown as a result of low oil or no oil at all.

Passport Toyota in Marlowe Heights, MD did the test. The manager Chris Brown said that they followed the criterion in testing. The dealership went ahead and did all the markings on my engine after the oil change (which my daughter did not ask) where I was charged (NO REASON FOR THE OIL CHANGE!) and was advised to drive the car for 1100 miles and bring it back to the aforementioned dealership. AT THE END OF THE TEST, the manager, Chris Brown claimed he only added two-thirds (2/3) of a quart of oil to bring the level up. My daughter did not witness the process when the oil was added to the engine because the manager claimed the shop was backed up. She went home and she has to call back in about three (3) hours which the manager claim will be ready in forty-five minutes. The manager just handed her the result and says that it is free of charge and the car passed the criterion established by Toyota.

Anyway, Toyota needs to correct and accept the fact that they made a mistake and should recall and fix the problem on excessive oil consumption. Piston rings are evidently not doing the job. Also, the owner should witness the procedure when oil was added to the engine. Anyone can claim that they only added a few drops of oil. What a ploy! This is just too much of a problem that it became a topic of discussion among Toyota owners like me all over the place. For now, I have to monitor my oil very so often because as per Toyota, my car's oil consumption is but normal. If this is normal, how come my other Toyota's are not having the same issue and all other cars I owned for the past 30 years of my life driving cars. Recall should be and the only solution for now so that Toyota can redeem itself.

- , Suitland, MD, USA

Nov 012015

Camry 4

My mother has been attempting to get Toyota to fix the issue with excessive burning of the oil. Her car burns enough oil prior to the 1,200 mi checkup to be absolutely bone dry. Appears that even if it ends up burning her engine, they may deny her in covering repairs. She is a new widow and is now on fixed income.

- , Rockwall, TX, USA

Aug 142014

Camry LX 4 cyl

Low oil light is annoying but worrisome. I am afraid the engine will go bad at some point.

- , Aguadilla, USA