CarComplaints.com Notes: An increasing number of Toyotas are experiencing excessive oil consumption and the 2007 Camry seems to be leading the charge.

Owners are reporting that their engines are deprived of oil halfway through their maintenance schedules and in some cases the damage is so bad that entirely new engines need to be installed, paid out of pocket. The issue may be a result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

Toyota has issued a TSB for this problem, but maintains their stance that vehicles equipped with a 2AZ-FE engine are burning through a “normal” amount of oil.

7.8

$2,417.00

2. rebuild engine or check oil frequently (39 reports)
  3. replace engine (28 reports)
  4. Toyota Canada's head office told me that it is acceptable fo (7 reports)
  5. dealer said it's normal (3 reports)
  6. replace piston assembly (3 reports)
2007 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Camry:

2007 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 1 of 13)

Sep 012012

Camry XLE 2.4L

Toyota has been very unhelpful with this oil consumption problem. We had two tests done both times we were told is was ok and in acceptable limits of oil loss total BS. We drive 1,000 to 1,200 miles and the dipstick is bone dry yeah thats acceptable this engine needs to be recalled and toyota stand behind their cars and fix this issue.

- , Hamilton, NJ, USA

Mar 012017

Camry LE 4

I recently noticed that my car needs oil more frequently. I took it to a mechanic who advised me of the Warranty Enhancement Program (the fancy word that Toyota wants to use instead of Recall) regarding the Toyota Camry's. I contacted Toyota and was advised that my vehicle was under the warranty. I dropped my vehicle off so we can begin the Oil Consumption process. A few hours later I receive a call from the dealership that the vehicle is not covered under the warranty. I was informed that it goes by the date of first use or 150,000 miles. Since I bought the car pre-owned that it does not go by the date I purchased it. I called the 800 number and filed a complaint. I have made attempts to talk to a supervisor but had the same response that they cannot help me. I am frustrated and annoyed and I need my vehicle fixed. I have only owned Toyota Camry's and this will be the last one I own. I am very disappointed the way Toyota is handling this matter.

- , Cleveland, OH, US

Apr 032017

Camry LE 4 cylendar

Okay, so a few months back my check oil light comes on and I think it is odd, because I am really good about maintaining my car and changing the oil whenever the maintenance light comes on (and it wasn't even due yet). I bring it into Goodyear, where I last had the oil changed. The oil is almost COMPLETELY GONE- POOF!!! The oil was NOT leaking, it just dissipated into thin air!!! The guy is like "hmm..that's odd, but maybe someone just forgot to put the oil in. We'll put it in now." A month later- SAME PROBLEM. My husband verified that there was oil in the car the last time we left Goodyear, but only a month later it disappears!!! It was NOT leaking- just evaporating!!! So we bring it back to good year, and this time they do some internet research and discover that this is a KNOWN issue with 2007 Camry's but Toyota will only fix the problem for free if it is under 60,000 miles. It has something to do with O-rings or the pistons or something. Anyway, it is a problem that in order to fix, the engine has to be completely removed and then rebuilt. I was told this will cost upwards of $5,000 to repair or that I can just continually add oil myself every 1,000 miles

- , Frisco, US

Jun 012017

Camry LE 4

Just put new brakes, tires, rotors on my 2007 Camry and now I am burning almost 2 quarts of oil every 1000 miles. It is awful.

- , Gloucester, MA, US

Feb 252017

Camry LE 2.4L 4 Cyl

I've been very happy with my previous Camry's, having very few problems. I sought out another Camry LE 4 cylinder with my previous experiences in mind. So, we bought another (used) Camry this past summer. So the engine oil consumption didn't become apparent immediately after purchase, but this winter it showed up in force.

I went to the internet and found that there was a warranty campaign by Toyota to fix the problem. After doing two successive consumption tests on our own, I went to the local Toyota dealership to get an oil change and start a test. When I mentioned the problem, I was immediately told that the campaign was no longer available for a car with over 150,000 miles. Not happy to hear this. But, didn't five the service writer any grief, just asked for the CS # to Toyota.

Called them and they verified the campaign ended, and after talking to two people was told in no uncertain terms there is nothing they can do to help me. The 2nd CS person ended the conversation when she could tell I was trying to find some way around it. And when I asked to speak to her supervisor, was told there was not a supervisor to speak with....really?? So just send to the survey. And try not to harpoon them.

- , Beloit, US

Dec 212016

Camry XLE 2.4L 4-cyl

Basically, the oil keeps consuming incredibly fast. I have changed my oil more than 4 times in the past 5 months.

- , Thomasville, NC, US

Mar 272017

Camry

I am putt in just as much oil in the car as gas. When I heard about the oil consumption problem i call the dealer to get it fix and wouldn't you know I am out of the time frame. I was notified of this by mail because I am not the original owner.

May 052017

Camry

When I contacted Toyota about this problem they stated that they could not help me because I was out of the window( my car only has 97,000). This is unbelievable that Toyota would do their customers like this. I would have been a Toyota driver for life but now I will NEVER buy a Toyota again. They do no care about the customers at all.

May 152017

Camry

Once again I am down a quart of oil due to the burn! Help me!

Sep 012011

Camry CE

I own a 2007 Camry CE. it has 77,000 miles on it. I never knew about Excessive oil burning problem until today when my friend told me. I had the problem but I thought it was something wrong with my driving. Toyota never sent me a notice or letter but they offered to fix the problem until October 2016. I went today to the dealer and they denied to help.

This car had issue since the moment I bought. Recall for brakes, oil change very frequently and all. If toyota sold me a defective car - they ought to fix it too. With out any notification, they can't expect me to know the problem. How can I have the dealer fix my problem?

- , Fremont, US

Feb 082017

Camry SE 2.4L 4-cyl

They do not fix it for me unless i pay since it's outside the warranty enhancement. The dealership manager/supervisor said that I the customer would be responsible if I died because of their engine problem.

- , Louisville, US

Feb 282017

Camry LE 2.4L

I'm just tired of having to put oil in my car. Got an oil change and still had to add oil within a week. This is crazy and the oil is not cheap

- , Oak Grove, US

Jun 212016

Camry SE 2.4L V4

click to see larger images

excessive oil consumption excessive oil consumption excessive oil consumption excessive oil consumption excessive oil consumption excessive oil consumption

On February 2016, I bought a Toyota Camry 2007 in Rhode Island, United States. After a while of driving the car, I checked the engine oil gauge level dipstick; I observed it was much below the lower point. I was surprised about that, and I went to a Midas Automotive Service to solve the problem. In Midas, they told me there is an extended warrantee for these car model and years by Toyota, and it is better to show my car to a Toyota Dealer Service.

I immediately went to Toyota Tarbox in North Kingstown, RI, and described the situation. They told they will perform an oil consumption test on my car, and I should return after 1100-1300 driving miles. I returned to Toyota Tarbox after the mentioned mileage. They checked the oil, but they told me your car has passed the test, and your car oil consumption is within the criteria by Toyota. So, I got happy and left. After driving around two thousand of miles, I checked the oil gage level dipstick, and again I noticed, the oil level is much more below the lower line of the gage. Again I went back to Toyota Tarbox, and showed the car. They responded you have to drive 5000 miles after the previous test to have another test.

I drove that mileage and went back to Toyota Tarbox for a new test. They performed the second test on mileage 121392,and after a 1200 miles I went back to Tarbox to check the test result. They told your car has passed the test again. I was not convinced by the results, and complained to them, and they said if you come the next time, your 10 years extended warrantee has been expired, and we cannot perform any more test on the car, and you have to contact Toyota.

Therefore, I said I will do my oil change to see what happens on the car. On mileage 123895, I changed my oil in Toyota Tarbox. After 2290 miles I checked my oil level gage, and the attached figure shows the awful level of oil in the engine. I went to Toyota Tarbox to discuss about my issue. They overtopped 2.01 quarters of oil to the engine, and they said they will contact Toyota, and inform me about the result. The next day, they called me to say that Toyota has not accepted the oil consumption due to passing the test and expiring the extended warranty.

Therefore, I called Toyota customer service, and after a long time of describing the issue, they told “your car has passed the test, and the 10 years extended warranty has been expired”. I explained for them that the first and second times that I realized about the Oil Consumption, were within the 10 years, but they were not convinced. On the other hand, I asked them some technical questions about the oil consumption criteria, and they referred me to a Toyota Dealership.

I went back to Tarbox to talk with Brain, service supervisor, and we discussed the followings: 1- The oil consumption test says that, if car consumes one quarter of oil or less within 1200 miles, it passes the test.

On the other hand, they say you can drive 4000 – 5000 miles after each oil change in Toyota depend on how much engine works in place in traffic. (The point is that we live in Kingston, RI, a very small town which never has any traffic).

Now question is: The capacity of Toyota engine is 4.5 quarters. By the above Criteria for the test, after 3000 miles my car will consume 2.5 quarters of oil. It means my car should work with following condition after my oil change:

Mileage after oil change Oil in the engine (quarters) 0 4.5 1200 3.5 2400 2.5 3000 2 3600 1.5 4200 1 4800 0.5

It means that my car should work with less than 2 quarters of oil after 3000 miles after oil change.

So, my clear question from Brain was:

Me: “Do I have to add any oil to my engine between two consecutive oil changes?” Brain: “Yes” Me: “If yes, how my car has passed the test, and if my car has passed the test why my oil is not between the up and low points of oil gage”? Brain: “Ask Toyota!!” Me: “You are Toyota representative, aren’t you? Do you mean I have to go to Japan to ask?” Brain: “I am not Toyota, Call them” Me: “Give me a paper written my car will not encounter any problem during two consecutive oil change if it has passed the test!” Brain: “We can not do that, and we can not talk about the test, because we are not Toyota engineers.”

I am complaining from Toyota for the following clear questions:

1- If my car has passed the oil consumption test, why should I add oil to my car during two consecutive oil change? 2- If my car has passed the oil consumption test, why the level of oil is not within the upper and lower points of engine oil stick gage? 3- If I do not add oil to my car during two consecutive oil change, does Toyota accept the responsibility of any damage to my engine?

Please help me to solve my issue. Thanks

- , Kin, US

Mar 012015

Camry XLE 2.4L

This car burns more than a quart of oil every 1000 miles. This is very excessive.

- , Nesbit, US

Apr 012016

Camry CE 2.4L

CAR SHOWS NO SIGN OF BURNING OR LEAKING OIL. IT JUST TAKE A QUART OF OIL EVERY TWO WEEKS.

- , Ronkomkoma, US

May 012017

Camry LX 3.2L

my Toyota Camry is burning oil at about 1 quart per 1000 miles and the dealership says it is not burning enough to replace the defective engine. that's just unacceptable. They need to make this right. I'm in VA is there a class action law suit going on?

- , Virginia Beach, US

Mar 232017

Camry LE 2.4L

The car has been using over a quart of oil every thousand miles. Took the car into Toyota. Was told that the car was out of warranty and exceeded mileage limit. (It was 2 months out of warranty and 10 miles over the limit!!!) Was told to call Toyota Customer Service. They responded the same way as the dealership. We've been loyal Toyota customers since 1989. Our 3 sons are also Toyota customers. You've lost us all! You've known about this problem since 2011 but we were never notified about it.

- , Johnsburg, IL, US

Feb 042013

Camry LE 2.4L

I’m disabled person in wheelchair, depending only of Social Security Benefits. Is expensive to maintain my Toyota Camry 2007, 4 cylinders, with excessive oil consumption. I have to add 2 quarters of oil every 2,000 miles. My car is only with 100,000 miles. I bought it 4, 1/2 years ago. I have had problems with oil consumption every since I had my Toyota. Is possible that I can join to the class action law suite? I Live in California, the San Diego North County. Blessings.

- , San Marcos, Ca., US

Mar 162017

Camry CE 2.4L 4 cyl

Seems Toyota is being evasive regarding a specific oil consumption parameter set from dealer to dealer, and owners have a wide range of responses from their dealers. My car is definitely consuming oil at an alarming rate, and although my local dealer has been very responsive, after reading posted comments by other owners nationwide, I do not trust Toyota to complete the required repair at no coat to me and in a timely fashion. I also have seen no information on if the factory-specified repair corrects the problem, or what the reasonable expectation for future longevity of the 4 cylinder engine might be with responsible maintenance and operation.

- , Duluth, US

Mar 012016

Camry XLE 2.4L 4 cyl

I have had 3 other Toyotas, 1990 Toyota Corolla...568,000 mi, 1994 Camry LE....531,000 mi, 2004 Camry XLE......206,000 mi, neither of these vehicles used oil, I changed oil every 3000 mi. After I had an accident with the 2004, I replaced that with a used 2007 Camry XLE that had 146,000 mi. on it. After about 6 months when I had the oil changed, it was mentioned to me that the oil was low on the stick. Within 6 months the oil light came on with only 1900 mi. on it. Added a quart and then it came on again after 900 mi. I then had the oil changed and since then been adding oil between oil changes. A friend of mine mentioned about the problems Toyota has had with the oil consumptions on certain vehicles. I got the 2007 because of the style change. Looks like I got ALOT more that I am NOT pleased with!!

- , Sheboygan, US