CarComplaints.com Notes: An increasing number of Toyotas are experiencing excessive oil consumption and the 2007 Camry seems to be leading the charge.

Owners are reporting that their engines are deprived of oil halfway through their maintenance schedules and in some cases the damage is so bad that entirely new engines need to be installed, paid out of pocket. The issue may be a result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

Toyota has issued a TSB for this problem, but maintains their stance that vehicles equipped with a 2AZ-FE engine are burning through a “normal” amount of oil.

2007 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Camry:

2007 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 15 of 19)

Apr 122008

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owned a 2007 Toyota Camry le. While driving the accelerator pedal became entrapped by the floor-mat. As a consequence he crashed into another vehicle. The driver of the other vehicle was killed. Both vehicles caught on fire. The failure and current mileages were unknown. Updated 05/10/10 updated 05/20/10 updated 9/29/11

- Buras, LA, USA

Jul 132009

Camry

I was informed it was too late to defend my case on a traffic ticket I got in the mail. The ticket was from ats and miami gardens police for running a red light. I wanted a hearing since it was because of a issue with the car I was driving. This occurred on more than one occasion but I didn't think much of it. The car would not stop. This really scared me but after continuously pressing the gas and brake then it would resume normal function. I had rented a silver 2007 or 2008 Toyota Camry in July of this year, however I was notified of the ticket months later. I received a picture and video of me accelerating at a light which I recalled. I was unable to defend my case due to this weird new camera traffic law stuff. I feel extremely violated and taken advantage of. Besides it was my safety and myself that was at risk.

- Opa Locka, FL, USA

Jul 172009

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. While driving 50 mph the vehicle would not accelerate. Also intermittently the vehicle will accelerate without application of the accelerator pedal. The dealer was contacted, but no assistance was provided. The vehicle has not been repaired. The failure mileage was 47553. The current mileage was 50001. Updated 03/04/10. The consumer also stated the vehicle was very slow when she attempted to accelerate onto the highway. It would hesitate and then kink up to 80 mph. There was condensation in the headlights. Updated 06/14/10.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Apr 222008

Camry

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. When attempting to accelerate, the accelerator pedal became stuck. The vehicle then accelerated up to 75 mph. He had to remove the floor-mat from under the accelerator pedal, to decelerate. After the failure he removed the floor-mat from the vehicle. The dealer nor the manufacturer was contacted. The current mileage was approximately 52,000. The failure mileage was approximately 28,000.

- Dexter, MI, USA

Nov 112009

Camry 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. While driving, the vehicle began to accelerate. He had to shift the vehicle into neutral, and turn off the engine to decelerate. The vehicle was taken to a local service station, and the front brake system along with other related components were inspected to ensure optimum performance. He contacted the manufacturer and informed them of the failure. The representative acknowledged the issue and gave him a file number. He was told that he would be contacted on 11/22/09. But did not receive a response. The current mileage was 77,140. The failure mileage was 75,839. Updated 03/26/10. Updated 09/15/10

- Carlstadt, NJ, USA

Oct 232009

Camry

While driving my vehicle on or about October 23, 2009, I approached an intersection and came to a stop. I took my foot off of the brake to press on the accelerator, however the vehicle did not accelerate as anticipated. I realized I would not be able to make it safely into the intersection at this point, and began to brake, at which time the vehicle suddenly had a burst of acceleration and the car shot out into the intersection, almost into the ditch on the other side, and me and my son were almost hit in the side by an oncoming car. This incident completely freaked me out, and I subsequently traded in the vehicle. I would absolutely not put my safety, especially my child's, at issue any longer, as this is the second issue I have had with that particular Camry, the first issue resulting in a collision.

- Huffman, TX, USA

Mar 052009

Camry

I have had 2 accidents where my Toyota has accelerated itself and the only way to stop was to crash in the car in front of me...the brake would not work..as a result my insurance has gone up and the value of my Toyota has gone down.

- Houston, TX, USA

Oct 282009

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. While shifting the vehicle into reverse, the vehicle suddenly accelerated backwards. He attempted to shift the vehicle into neutral, but the engine continued to reeve. Eventually he turned the engine off and the vehicle stopped. Also while at a stop light the vehicle accelerated without intention. He contacted the manufacturer and was not provided with any assistance. The vehicle was taken to the dealer several times. The first technician could not identify the cause of the failure. At the second inspection the technician stated the floor-mats did not cause the failure. However he concluded that the computer needed to be reprogrammed. No repairs were made. The failure and current mileages were 10,000. Updated 01/05/10 updated 01/06/10.

- Beachwood, OH, USA

Jun 291996

Camry

Toyotas latest recall should not be a floor mat or stuck accelerator problem. My 2007 Camry has experienced this scenerio at least several times a year (even though I know it exists). The problem is the design of the brake pedal and accelerator pedal. The brake pedal (when braking) is closer to the floor than the height of the un-depressed accelerator pedel. If the driver has big feet or is not precise when placing the foot, it is possible to depress both pedals at the same time. The harder one tries to stop, the faster the engine wants to run. In my vehicles from the past, the accelerator pedal, when not depressed, was closer to the floor than the position of the brake pedal during a very hard (emergency) braking action. Toyota's firmware fix of not allowing the accelerator signal to override the braking signal is not a good fix for the problem. Sometimes it is desirable to increase the speed of the engine before releasing the brake to provent rolling backwards when starting on a grade. Paying attention to the ergonomics of how the pedals and the human driver interface and proper engineering design is the solution.

- Houston, TX, USA

Nov 232009

Camry

I have a 2007 Toyota Camry. While parallel parking, I had my foot on the brake and the car surged forward at a high rate of speed that I could not control. The brakes were ineffective and I stopped by crashing into the car in front of me. There was some mild bumper damage. I believe the same thing happened last year when I was in a minor motor vehicle accident. I was traveling with traffic and was unable to stop at a red light and hit the car in front of me that was stopped for the light. I was keeping with traffic which was not traveling at a high rate of speed, but the car kept going and braking was ineffective to stop it. I had the car towed to the dealership and they told me they could find nothing wrong with the car.

- Coronado, CA, USA

May 272009

Camry 6-cyl

High speed collision involving a 2007 Toyota Camry. Driver was familiar with road and was not known to drive aggressively or significantly above speed limit. Police report put rate of speed at time of collision at least 85 mph. Conversations with investigators indicate that severity of collision indicates speed may have been 100 mph. Posted speed was approximately 40 mph. Updated 03/08/10 updated 05/10/10 updated 07/15/10 according to the police report, the driver crashed into a tree, to avoid hitting another vehicle. The vehicle also caught fire. Updated 10/05/10 updated 9/29/11

- Austin, TX, USA

Jun 172009

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. While driving down a hill the contact was unable to stop the vehicle when the brakes were engaged. The contact was forced to shift gears into neutral which allowed her to stop the vehicle. The current and failure mileages were 36000. Updated 1/14/10 updated 01/15/10.

- Laguna Hills, CA, USA

Jun 132009

Camry

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. While approaching a red traffic light the vehicle suddenly began to accelerate on its on; however, she was able to control the vehicle. The failure occurred on two occasions. The current and the failure mileages were 15,000.

- Martinez, GA, USA

Oct 262009

Camry

Car accelerator took off while parked at drive in bank.

- Phenix City, AL, USA

Oct 152009

Camry

Floor mat interference with accelerator pedal.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Oct 252009

Camry

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. While driving between 55-60 mph the driver side floor mat shifted onto the accelerator pedal. Consequently there was an unintended vehicle acceleration up to 100 mph. After repeated brake application, and shifting the vehicle into the neutral, the vehicle decelerated. He pulled over to the side of the road, and removed the floor-mat. The vehicle was able to resume normal operation. The failure mileage was 70,000. The current mileage was 71,350.

- Brooklyn , NY, USA

Oct 252009

Camry

Floor mat interference with acceleration pedal.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Jan 302007

Camry

Purchased a 2007 Camry le, 4 door, on 12/12/06. Cruise control has failed many times. When going down hill with the cruise on the car will keep accelerating to very unsafe speeds. This started from the date of purchase. I went through arbitration in March of 2007 and was told by the arbitrator "that there has been an unreasonable amount of repair attempts for the same nonconformist that will impair the use, value and safety of the vehicle since Dec.2006". the problem has not been corrected and I don't use the cruise control. I have found that this problem has caused deaths, the latest in California, and several wrecks even in the area where I live. How many lives must be taken before Toyota will step up to bat and make a recall on this defective cruise control. The floor mats that Toyota is saying will cause this problem might be in part the cause but certainly not the root of the problem. I have been trying to get this situation addressed since the purchase of this vehicle and the near wrecks that I have almost encountered to no avail. The arbitrator did agree with my complaints but as stated above there had not been enough attempts provided by the dealership to correct the problem. How many times must one take a vehicle to the dealership with the same complaint before any action will be taken. I feel my life is more important than the runaround that I have received from Toyota and this is a very serious safety malfunction of the vehicle. I have all sorts of documentation to back my complaint and my 2007 Camry is not the only vehicle on the road with this safety issue. I was told by Toyota that the design had been changed with the 2007's and certainly the symptoms are consistent with control system malfunction but they did not know how to fix the problem.

- Kodak, TN, USA

Aug 062009

Camry

There has been 2 occasions that my car has accelerated rapidly while driving with the cruise control on. The speed was set at 73mph. My foot was not touching the foot pedal nor was the floor mat. In both instances I was making a curve in the road when it happened. On one of the two occasions I received a speeding ticket totaling around $300. The car had accelerated to 95 before I regained control. Another problem I have noticed with the vehicle is when traveling at slow rates of speed (in 3rd gear automatic), the car will sporadically have power surges and jolt forward. I have had the vehicle since Jan. 09 and the problems described above have only happened 2-3 times each. I have not contacted any repair centers regarding the issues.

- Fayetteville, AR, USA

Jan 182009

Camry

---------------------------------- I feel these runaway Toyota's are caused by there vsc system. The vsc system will take control of the vehicle's steering, throttle and brakes.this system has caused me embarrassment as well potentially put me and my passengers in danger. I parked on a snow covered parking spot it was a slight downhill grade. When attempt to back the car up, it would not allow me to do so. The vsc took control and I could not accelerate the engine, so that the tires could cut though the snow to get a grip. My passengers had to get out of the car and push it back to a place where the tires could get a grip, that was the embarrassing part, but what if this was a potential accident situation? I could not have moved the car and its passenger to safety. I strongly suspect the vsc system to be the cause of these accidents.

- Medford, OR, USA