CarComplaints.com Notes: An increasing number of Toyotas are experiencing excessive oil consumption and the 2007 Camry seems to be leading the charge.

Owners are reporting that their engines are deprived of oil halfway through their maintenance schedules and in some cases the damage is so bad that entirely new engines need to be installed, paid out of pocket. The issue may be a result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

Toyota has issued a TSB for this problem, but maintains their stance that vehicles equipped with a 2AZ-FE engine are burning through a “normal” amount of oil.

2007 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Camry:

2007 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 16 of 19)

Oct 052009

Camry

Approximately one month ago, early Oct., I was merging onto an expressway with my 2007 Camry. As I was briskly accelerating, I noticed the gas pedal was stuck and the tachometer was registering 6000 to 7000 rpms. There was only light traffic, no one ahead of me for several hundred yards. I put the car into neutral and was able to flip the pedal up with my toe. I carefully drove home and brought the car into the Toyota dealership service department the next morning. I had inspected the floor mat and saw that it was nowhere near the gas pedal. The service manager took out the floor mat and said that was the problem. Although I asked to have the linkage checked, I doubt that was done. The problem so far has not recurred. In ordinary expressway traffic this could have been disastrous.

- Wilmette, IL, USA

Apr 092007

Camry

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. While driving approximately 25 to 30 mph proceeding to a complete stop and applying pressure to the brake pedal, the vehicle began to surge forward without warning. The contact was able to continue driving normally; however, the failure occurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for inspection. The technician was unable to duplicate the failure. The contact had concerns of the safety risk involved. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was 15,000. The current mileage was 38,000.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Sep 172009

Camry

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. The vehicle would not stop when she applied pressure to the brake pedal at 40 mph. As a consequence she lost vehicle control, and then the vehicle rolled over. Her left foot was injured. The vehicle was completely destroyed. The failure and current mileages were 55000. The vehicle identification number was unavailable.

- Washington, NJ, USA

Aug 242009

Camry

In 2007, I purchased a new 2007 Toyota Camry from tejas Toyota in humble, tx. On or about August 18, I got my vehicle serviced at the dealership. They performed a multi-point inspection, oil change, tire rotation, and checked fluids. Vehicle was rendered in good working condition. Approximately one week later, while approaching an intersection in downtown houston, I saw the vehicle in front of me begin to come to a stop. I saw the light turn red and I had plenty of room to stop. I applied the brake, but nothing happened. My tires did not squeal, my car did not decelerate at all, but I did not spin or veer off in any direction. I almost attempted to go around the vehicle stopped in front of me, however, that would have left me in the middle of oncoming traffic in an intersection. I knew that could result in a possibly worse situation, so I held down the brakes and just prayed that my vehicle would stop. As a result of this vehicle failure, I hit the vehicle in front of me directly in the rear end of their Mercedes Benz SUV. Strangely, my airbags did not deploy. This too greatly concerns me. Luckily no one was seriously hurt, however, it caused approximately $9,000 in damage to my vehicle and I have medical bills over $600. My car was fixed! ridiculous! unfortunately, now I am scared to drive my vehicle and I cannot recover my damages from my insurance company.

- Huffman, TX, USA

May 022009

Camry

My 2007 Toyota Camry has accelerated uncontrollably on several occasions. At no time did the floor mat cause the problem. The last time I took the car to Toyota for the problem was in May 2009. I was told it was a computer problem, and the company had other reports of similar problems. According to my invoice from the visit, Toyota performed the following service to correct the problem: "recalibrate ECM op#EG8025. I have not experienced the acceleration issue since may, but the problem was only sporadic and occurred no more than two or three times a year.

- Solon, OH, USA

Sep 012009

Camry

Problemas con acelerador, por poco nos accidentamos mi familia Y yo, ibamos a baja velocidad, de pronto el auto empezo a acelerar sin razon alguna, nos asustamos mucho, aprox 20 segundos despues pude controlar el auto pise el freno Y no respondia, pise, pise nuevamente, Y despues de un buen susto SE destrabo el pedal, freno de golpe, nos golpeamos todos dentro del auto, freno bruscamente, no habian autos cerca mio por que era de noche, esa fue mi suerte sino me hubiera estrellado con algun otro auto.

- Gardena, CA, USA

Jul 302009

Camry

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. While driving 50 mph she attempted to engage the brake pedal to avoid crashing into another vehicle; however, the vehicle did not decelerate, which caused her to crash into a wall. The vehicle was completely destroyed. The contact sustained injuries to her knee. The failure and current mileages were 50,000.

- Bronx, NY, USA

Jun 252009

Camry

Had accident in 2007 Toyota Camry. Vehicle hesitated as I had accelerated to go around a truck to avoid hitting it. This car hesitates about 2 to 3 seconds before taking off. When car does take off it goes to fast and can make a driver lose control. This car also shakes or vibrate when you accelerate to speeds of 60 to 65mph. Steering is a problem when car hesitate then takes off, this is when you can lose control. Passing and changing lanes can be a problem when acceleration is needed. This car can be very dangerous. There's nothing wrong with the speedometer, I guess it's the transmission or whatever part that controls the car take off speed.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Feb 012009

Camry

My complaint concerns my 2007 Toyota Camry which seems to be similar to a current open investigation # DP09-001. While trying to exit the freeway my foot "stutter stepped" up and down on the accelerator trying to merge to the proper lane. I was "stutter stepping" because there was a vehicle in the lane I was trying to change to and we both accelerated and decelerated at the same time in an attempt to change into each other's lane. I accelerated and decelerated approximately three time. This motion on the accelerator seemed to cause the accelerator to "stick" and my vehicle was accelerating out of control. Several attempts to slow the car down failed. The brakes would not respond as I applied foot pressure. As I approached the intersection at an extremely high rate of speed (and increasing) I was able to finally stop the car by applying both feet on the brake pedal using my back against the seat to gain leverage. I am a 6'5" male weighing 200+ pounds. The car went into a skid when the brakes kicked in allowing me to regain control of the vehicle without damage or injury. The car resumed its normal function after the incident. There was a period of time when the vehicle was not responding that I feared for my life. I was motivated to file this complaint when I learned about a deadly crash in san diego, ca involving an off duty chp officer. He was driving a 2009 Lexus ES 350. Toyota is blaming the "run-away" car on a defective floormat. Based on my experience I believe there is a much more serious safety related defect. I'm not sure what to do at this point, but I do not feel safe driving the vehicle. My wife has told me that she experienced a less severe incident of unintended acceleration also. She can provide details if it will help your investigation. I intend to get rid of the vehicle, but I need to get some advice on how best to do that and also help prevent other potential deadly crashes for others. Note: I am not certain of the incident date.

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Jul 102009

Camry

My 2007 Toyota Camry le had jerk on acceleration as well as turning. Talked to service manager and Toyota customer service, and was told that it is a "feature" in order to satisfy the epa requirement, which the signal was sent ot the computer, and timing required. I do not understand and believe that, as I also had a 2006 highlander hybrid, which did not do me the same instance. The jerk may cause the car behind rear-end my Camry. Can you please look into this issue. Hopefully I am the first one that file this complaints.

- Diamond Bar, CA, USA

Jan 242009

Camry

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. While driving 55 mph, the vehicle accelerated on its own and was very difficult to stop. The vehicle has to be driven five or six miles in order for the failure to occur. The failure has occurred on four occasions. There were no warning lights illuminated on the instrument panel prior to the failure. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection. The failure mileage was 58,400 and current mileage was 62,261. Updated 06/27/09 the dealer has been unable to duplicate the consuemers concern. Updated 06/23/09.

- Gulf Shores, AL, USA

Mar 292009

Camry

Reston, va, March 29, 2009 I have a gas pedal problem. It accelerates by itself and when I try to put my car at P (parking) there is a big noise and it smells like burning plastic. I have gone to my car dealer 5 times in the last 5 months for the same problem. Each time they said they cannot duplicate the problem. The 2 last times I brought my car to the dealer they were talking about carpet (floor mat) problem. My last visit to my dealer was on 3/17/2009 and yesterday 3/28/2009 I experienced the same problem. It happened to me again and I don't know what to do anymore. I need some help from Toyota because my car is not even 2 years old. I am starting to be afraid to drive my own car and have an accident. If Toyota cannot find my problem, what are my options?

- Reston, VA, USA

Mar 012009

Camry

Submission of motor vehicle defect notification regarding his 2007 Toyota Camry. Requesting a final attempt to correct the continuing substantial defect(s) or condition(s). *** the consumer stated the throttle sticks, the RPM's stick and the check engine light illuminated.

- Cape Coral, FL, USA

Feb 222009

Camry

My gas pedal accelerates on it's own.

- Stafford, TX, USA

Jul 182008

Camry

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. Immediately after the vehicle was purchased in July of 2008, the contact noticed that the RPM gauge would jump back and forth when the accelerator pedal was depressed. Approximately six weeks later, the vehicle would not accelerate when the accelerator pedal was depressed. When the vehicle finally began to gain speed, she drove to her residence. The vehicle was then driven to the dealer and they stated that the vehicle needed to be recalibrated. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer advised her to take the vehicle back to the dealer for investigation. The current mileage was 28,000 and failure mileage was 25,000.

- Bangor, ME, USA

May 312006

Camry

I noticed shortly after purchasing my new 2007 Toyota Camry that the car hesitated on acceleration. I originally thought that it was because it was new. I also own a 1993 Camry, which has never given us a problem. Besides gas and oil changes this car still runs well. Had I known that this newer model was going to be scary to drive I would have never purchased it. Like so many others, I was told by the dealer that there was nothing wrong with my vehicle. It continues to hesitate when you need to accelerate quickly, in reverse it flies out of the garage even when not pressing on the gas...I refuse to let my 16 year old drive it and firmly believe that there is a design problem. Ps I also had to have my tires changed after only a few thousand miles, they were completely worn.

- Biddeford, ME, USA

Jan 122009

Camry

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. While driving approximately 2 mph in a fast food restaurant drive thru, the vehicle accelerated inadvertently. The driver rear ended the preceding vehicle, crossed over the median, and crashed into a dumpster. There were no injuries and a police report was filed. The vehicle sustained major front end damage and the driver's side tire was flattened. The following day, the contact received a recall notice for NHTSA campaign id number 07E082000 (equipment). The recall pertained to the floor mats moving forward while the vehicle was in motion, which could possibly interfere with the accelerator pedal. The contact stated that this recall specifically corresponds to the crash. The dealer and manufacturer were not notified. The current and failure mileages were 110,000.

- Stafford, VA, USA

Jan 112007

Camry

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. After purchasing the vehicle on October 31, 2006, the contact noticed that there was a lack of acceleration in the vehicle. While attempting to accelerate from a complete stop, the vehicle hesitated. The accelerator pedal was depressed to the floor, but the vehicle still hesitated to pick up speed and then suddenly sped off. The dealer found no failures; however, they later asked her to bring the vehicle back for repairs. After the repairs, the vehicle continued to lack acceleration. The contact returned to the dealer and repaired again. The vehicle was serviced a total of seven times and the dealer stated that they "updated" the vehicle; however, the failure persists. The failure mileage was 3,000 and current mileage was 26,500.

- Tamarac, FL, USA

Mar 222008

Camry 6-cyl

We have a six cylinder, 2007 Toyota Camry. We were passing a semi truck on an interstate highway when the car suddenly demonstrated unintended acceleration. Applying the brake and shifting into neutral did not stop the acceleration. Our only recourse was to get off the interstate and we were able to get the car to stop by turning off the key. If there had been a vehicle in front of us there would have been a serious accident.

- Fairview Park, OH, USA

Dec 292007

Camry

The car accelerated quickly on its own, with engine racing, and could not be stopped easily, resulting in a collision with a tree. The engine continued to race on it's own, with no one pressing the throttle, until the ignition was switched off. This was not caused by a loose floor mat, the floor mat was secured and not anywhere near the pedal. In February I received a letter from Toyota saying that they believe there was nothing wrong with the car. I called Toyota to talk to the person who sent that letter and repeated the facts as stated above and she told me that I "may be mistaken." The fact that the engine continued to race after the crash is important, since some may think that I was pushing the throttle herself. Once I got out of the car she obviously couldn't be pushing the petal herself. The engine didn't stop racing until I turned the engine off. Then, when the tow truck came, the driver re-started the Camry to position it for towing. When he did, the engine ran normally. When a car takes off by itself, it has a problem. Therefore this car, and maybe all 2007 Camry, maybe all Toyota, have a problem. However we drove this car for months and many miles without a symptom; it apparently takes some kind of particular combination of circumstances for the problem to come out. No one was injured in this incident, but this behavior could cause someone to be seriously injured or killed. I believe Toyota should find out why this happened and try to fix it, instead of trying to convince me that I am wrong when I tell them what happened. Updated

- Hampstead, NH, USA