CarComplaints.com Notes: An increasing number of Toyotas are experiencing excessive oil consumption and the 2007 Camry seems to be leading the charge.

Owners are reporting that their engines are deprived of oil halfway through their maintenance schedules and in some cases the damage is so bad that entirely new engines need to be installed, paid out of pocket. The issue may be a result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

Toyota has issued a TSB for this problem, but maintains their stance that vehicles equipped with a 2AZ-FE engine are burning through a “normal” amount of oil.

2007 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Camry:

2007 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 17 of 19)

Nov 062006

Camry 4-cyl

Toyota Camry 2007 was taking several times to dealer due to hesitation upon acceleration. The manufacturer stated that it is a normal function of the 2007 Camry's and it not fixable. We went to arbitration and petition for exchange or repair was denied. My wife and I have concerns about driving this car in high speed highways and not be able to accelerate enough to get into incoming traffic. We have already experienced this problems and are afraid of causing an accident.

- Coral Springs, FL, USA

Apr 192007

Camry 4-cyl

Purchase 2007 Toyota Camry, April 19, 2007 from king Toyota, deerfield beach, Florida. Almost immediately the car began having shifting problems. It hesitated and when driving around 40 miles an hour when the gas pedal was released, it jerked and whipped your body. Then, when giving it the gas, it hesitated and then jerked forward. Complained and complained and was told that maybe when I brought it in for its 3000 mile check-up, Toyota would have a tech bulletin for repair. The tech bulletin was not available until after I contacted Toyota directly and was told that I should request tech bulletin U660E. I brought the car to the dealership and a new chip was installed that solved the problem for a short period of time. About the early part of October it began to change. In addition to hesitating and jerking, it now keeps going at 40 miles an hour even when the foot is taken off of the gas pedal. It will keep going two or three block from 40 miles an hour, slowly down to 30 miles an hour. In other words, when you attempt to slow down because of traffic, you must put full power on the brake pedal or you will continue to go at the same rate of speed. Very dangerous as well as wearing brakes much faster than normal. It still hesitates and jerks when applying the gas pedal but now, instead of jerking you when releasing the gas, it just keeps going. Dealer has no answer and told me that they have had complaints like mine without a solution. Can't Toyota be pressured into solving the problem. The new chip made a direct opposite situation....jerking the car when gas released to "full speed ahead".

- Delray Beach, FL, USA

May 262007

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Camry le. The contact stated that the take off speed was very slowly. The vehicle would accelerate to a normal speed when the pedal was depressed to the floorboard. The dealer stated that the acceleration functions was equipped with a flybywire that is not connected to the pedal therefore acceleration would be slower; they concluded the occurrence was normal. The current mileage as 4,200 and failure mileage was 800. Updated 01-11-08. The consumer stated would like a recall on this part. Updated 12/31/07

- Warminster , PA, USA

Aug 292007

Camry 4-cyl

My new 2007 Camry SE has a very scary hesitation problem when I need to accelerate. I have had the car 2 months and it started right away. My husband drove it the other day for the first time and was nearly in an accident trying to pull out into traffic it stalled for a few seconds. Scared him to death! he asked me if that happened to me and I thought it was just the car's quirk. He is concerned about my safety now. I searched online and found that it is a problem experienced by many. I was told to file this complaint so it can be addressed. Thank you.

- Touchet, WA, USA

May 012007

Camry 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. Whenever the vehicle is driven, the front driver side floor mat slides forward and bunches up under the accelerator and brake pedals. The contact stated that this could cause a crash. Toyota stated that they were unable to correct the failure. Recall number ssc70F for the all weather floor mats was referenced. The current mileage was 13,750 and failure mileage was 200. Updated 11/07/07

- Folson, CA, USA

Oct 012007

Camry 6-cyl

2007 Toyota Camry with acceleration problems. Consumer states the vehicle accelerated on its own on three occasions. Dealer told consumer they never heard of a problem like that and could not do anything unless the check engine light illuminated. See also 10203400.

- Salem, OR, USA

Oct 172007

Camry 4-cyl

Extreme hesitation when pulling into busy highway. I step on the gas pedal and the car does not go for about 2-3 second. By that time the traffic is too near for safety.

- Denville, NJ, USA

Aug 232007

Camry

There is a significant delay when you try to accelerate in the 2007 Toyota Camry! after a scary incident involving a tractor trailer truck, poor acceleration, and a hill, ( fortunately there was no accident) I called Toyota headquarters to report the incident ( because of the acceleration delay). They were of no help, but told me to bring my car to the local dealer to be examined for the acceleration delay. The dealers mechanic reported back to me after a quick examination and test drive that there is no acceleration delay issue, and that the car is built this way. What the mechanic did do( possibly to appease me) was re-set the acceleration component in the car's computer. This 'adjustment' has done nothing to fix the issue, and I still experience acceleration delay to this day. Unfortunately, Toyota does not seem interested in fixing this potentially deadly flaw. I hope there are no fatalities resulting from this problem.

- Webster, MA, USA

Apr 012006

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. He stated that the vehicle would hesitate when attempting to accelerate. The contact stated the failure would occur while driving at any speed. The dealer was unable to diagnose the failure; however, they reprogrammed engine computer. The failure continued to occur. As of October 9, 2007, the dealer had not repaired the vehicle. The failure mileage was 700 and the current mileage was 7,300.

- Northville, MI, USA

Aug 282007

Camry

I purchased a 2007 Camry 4 cylinder xle Aug. 2006. The immediate issue I had was its lack of acceleration. I was told by the dealership (competition Toyota of New York) was to change the way I was driving the car to force better acceleration. Feb. 10, 2007 I had my oil changed at the competition Toyota, asked about the acceleration issue and was told "nothing yet" from Toyota. Aug. 6, 2007, I was told new software arrived to correct the issue. The verbiage on the work sheet states "please review tsbeg036-07 for application performed calibration on ECM shift enhancement completed". there was an improvement in acceleration from stop signs and traffic lights. Aug.28, 2007 I took my first trip with the upgraded software. The acceleration getting on the highway was better but not great. I used the cruise control feature for the first time since the upgrade. I drove 200 miles, exited the highway, got gas (shut off the car). I did not reactivate the cruise control. I pulled into a parking garage, found a parking space, began to pull in when the car unexpectedly accelerated, hit the wall and I couldn't stop the tires from spinning even by depressing the brake. I threw the car into park and shut of the engine. There was substantial damage to the front of the car but no apparent damage to the engine. Aug.29, 2007, I decided to drive it home. Upon starting the car, the cruise control symbol displayed and went off only after I depressed the cruise control lever a couple times. The car was repaired Sept. 17, 2007, competition Toyota did a complimentary safety vehicle inspection on Sept. 21, 2007 and found the car to be safe to operate. I know what happened and like a disappearing toothache I don"T want this issue dismissed by the people at Toyota as a non-event. I still believe this is not a coincidence having the acceleration software updated then me having the issues I have stated above. I don"T want to see a re-occurrence of this incident to me or anyone else.

- Mount Sinai, NY, USA

Jan 302007

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. While driving 30-45 mph, there was a three second delay when attempting to accelerate. The dealer stated that this was a normal occurrence and did not make any repairs. The failure mileage was 430 and current mileage was 4,800. The consumer stated Toyota and the parent company stated there is no fix at the present time. Updated 11/1/07

- Augusta, GA, USA

Jul 012006

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that the vehicle hesitates or stalls when driving approximately 15 mph. The vehicle speed control also surges intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer twice. The first time they stated that the occurrence was normal for a new vehicle. The second time they performed a flash on the ECM. The vehicle performed normally for approximately 1,000 miles, but then it began hesitating again. The failure mileage was 1,000 and current mileage was 18,000.

- Biloxi, MS, USA

Aug 152007

Camry 6-cyl

On lthree different occasions the throttle stuck on my 2007 V6 Camry xle. First time with the cruise control on and I could not turn the cc off. Car accelerated to 80mph before it settled down.. second time I was merging into traffic and when traffic came to a stop my car kept accelerating... I avoided rearending the car ahead of me by standing on the brakes while the engine was just racing.. third time.. after stopping at a railroad crossing... when traffic resumed the car took off again, this time through a school zone.... that was the final straw for me.. Toyota says their is no problem with this car or any of the other 2007 I feel the car is unsafe for me and my family along with others on the road.. I asked the selling dealer to trade my 2007 for another 2007 since I like the car, but not this problem... he did not seem interested and said that Toyota would not help me with the depriation of my car. I went to a dealer closer to home and traded my 2007 for a new 2007.. same model same features.. I complaint is that I owned an unsafe vehicle and I do not believe that I should have to take full depreciation on a car that was unsafe to drive... Toyota denies a problem with the car, but I'm the one at risk driving it...the second dealer did what he could for me. But I am paying $ 8,000 difference for a car I should have had to start with.... I do not expect to drive a car for one year and 14,000 miles for free, but I also would not have traded if the car was safe.. I am looking for some fair financial rellief from Toyota.... or at least make people aware of a serious safety issue with some of their models.. see also 10207133.

- Salem, OR, USA

May 072007

Camry 4-cyl

My wife and I purchased a 2007 Camry le, 4-cylinder, 5-speed from Toyota of orange in orange California. Ever since our test drive we've experienced lack of acceleration (hesitation) from a stop or after slowing down to turn or proceed, shifting problems (constant up and down shifting at certain speeds; car not sure which gear to be in and feels like the car is surging) and unable to use the cruise control due accelerating too quickly due to downshifting and then overshooting the set speed. Some of these symptoms are sporadic; you never know if the car is going to move or not when stepping down hard and quickly on the gas pedal. Sometimes it "red-lines" before accelerating, other times there is barely any response at all. Reported it to the dealer 3 times, had the software updated without noticeable improvements. EG036-07 is the latest ECM update, . we would never have purchased this vehicle if we had only researched the car beforehand on the internet. Me and my wife could never get used to the gas pedal because the car responded differently every time. One day my wife came from work and attempted to park the car into a spot on the parking structure, she pressed the gas pedal and the car accelerated really fast driving through the wall almost into the community pool. I have stopped making payments on the car since the car is sitting in the garage and very upset with Toyota since I reported the problem to the dealer 3 times and called Toyota Corp on the phone and received no help.

- Anaheim, CA, USA

Aug 182007

Camry 4-cyl

Our 2007 Camry hesitates when accelerating from a stop or accelerating from a low speed. The situation has occurred several time both before and after the computer was reset.

- Lenoir, NC, USA

Sep 132007

Camry 4-cyl

Randomly hesitates when accelerating from a stopped position. Also, occasionally pauses while in traffic. Has not yet stalled. Acts like a clogged fuel filter but after seeing news article realize its a "common issue". current mileage is 11,200 but has done this for at least 6 months. Only one driver so clearly has had time to "adjust" to the driver. Frequency appears to be increasing. Have almost been rearended twice in the last month due to the hesitation.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

May 262007

Camry 4-cyl

In May 2007, I leased a 2007 Toyota Camry SE. The hesitation in accelertion is really bad and can be very dangerous especially on the highway. In order for me to be get acceleration, I must floor the gas pedal. Toyota should do a recall.

- Huntersville, NC, USA

Jun 252007

Camry 4-cyl

Car hesitates when trying to accelerate, this happens constantly, scary when trying to pass or get on thruway. Many near miss rear end collisions. Making a turn and accelerating you think car is going to die, then suddenly picks up and speeds off.

- Greenwich, CT, USA

Sep 302006

Camry 16-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. While driving 5 mph with the accelerator pedal depressed, the vehicle sporadically hesitated and jerked. The contact stated that the vehicle would occasionally stall before accelerating. The dealer stated that the failure was unrecognizable. The vehicle has not been repaired. The powertrain was unknown. The current mileage was 9,000 and failure mileage was 13.

- Corpus Christi, TX, USA

Jan 012007

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. When the contact depressed the accelerator pedal, the vehicle hesitated. Approximately 3-4 seconds later, the vehicle accelerated without warning. The dealer stated that the computer caused the failure and they reprogrammed the computer. However, the failure continued. The contact also stated that when he depressed the brake pedal it extended to the floorboard and the stopping distance increased. The dealer has not inspected the vehicle. The speed was unknown. The failure mileage was 500 and current mileage was 41,000.

- Worcester, MA, USA