CarComplaints.com Notes: An increasing number of Toyotas are experiencing excessive oil consumption and the 2007 Camry seems to be leading the charge.

Owners are reporting that their engines are deprived of oil halfway through their maintenance schedules and in some cases the damage is so bad that entirely new engines need to be installed, paid out of pocket. The issue may be a result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

Toyota has issued a TSB for this problem, but maintains their stance that vehicles equipped with a 2AZ-FE engine are burning through a “normal” amount of oil.

2007 Toyota Camry suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota Camry:

2007 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Nov 032016

Camry

Driving down a hill after leaving home, when the brakes were applied, the vehicle swerved back and forth violently almost changing lanes. Afterward, it wobbled side to side and up rocked up and down as I limped it home at very low speed. The lower right rear control arm, the one that can be adjusted, was extended causing the right rear wheel to be cocked inwardly at the leading side of the wheel and tire. A week or so later, the car was towed to les schwab tire center, 10340 sw canyon rd, beaverton, or 97005, (503) 643-9446. They reported the long threaded adjusting sleeve had its threads stripped and the part failed. This shop had last inspected the car in August of 2016 during a tire rotation. They performed a 4 wheel alignment in conjunction with the purchase of a set of tires in about prior to that. I have photos of the condition as I discovered it on my phone. I can E-mail or text them separately. At present, I do not know how to download them into my computer to include them with this report. I have instructed les schwab to keep the part for me. They will repair and align the car today or tomorrow. I will take the part to beaverton Toyota for inspection when the work is complete. There was no incident, accident, abnormal curb contact, etc. With the car. The car's mileage is 177+K. after I determined the car needed repair, I kept it at home until I could inspect it and determine the problem. I had the car towed to les schwab today.

- Beaverton, OR, USA

Sep 152016

Camry

Brought my 2007 Toyota Camry in for routine check up, tires rotation and alignment. I was informed that the struts are leaking. I only have 78,000 miles on the car.

- East Greenwich, RI, USA

Jun 222015

Camry

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. While the vehicle was in the shop being serviced, the mechanic observed that the struts leaked. The mechanic stated that the struts needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Placentia, CA, USA

Sep 122015

Camry

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that the front struts on both sides of the vehicle were leaking oil. The dealer confirmed that the front struts needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 62,000.

- Corrol Springs , FL, USA

Jul 032015

Camry

I am contacting you to report the issue I am having with my Toyota Camry. I had to spend ~$2,500 to replace all four struts with only 36,000 miles on the car. This should not happen on a well maintained car (I follow the maintenance schedule regularly) at such a low mileage. This issue can make driving hazardous since it will impact breaks and traction. I had the maintenance done in Nov 2014 at my regular dealership in green brook, NJ and also got the car inspected for NY registration renewal in March 2015. Both assessments reported that everything was ok with the car. However, during my visit to the dealership on July 3rd 2015, I was told that I need to replace all fours struts, a total cost of ~$2500. I have driven only ~ 2,000 miles between my two visits to the dealership. I was completely stocked to hear this. When I researched online, I saw several complaints about strut issue at low mileage with 2007 Camry. And it is not a normal situation for struts to leak at such a low mileage. Being a responsible driver, I have gotten all the repairs done. However, this appears to an issue with this model and not just my car. And potentially defective model/part. I am hoping that you will look into this and help identify whether Toyota should take responsibility for this repair/replacement. Not every person with this issue will be willing to spend such a hefty amount to get appropriate repairs done immediately. And many may not even realize that there is an issue. This is a safety concern not just for the owners but also others.

- New York, NY, USA

Jul 062015

Camry

Car has for some times been making clunking, knocking noise from steering. Car was inspected by my mechanic and was told the steering intermediate shaft must be replaced, called Toyota & was told no coverage to cover the repair.

- El Segundo, CA, USA

Jun 032015

Camry

Struts on Camry having been leaking before warranty expired. Seems like everyone I know with Camry has same problem. Why has there not been a recall?

- Norwalk, CA, USA

May 202015

Camry

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that the rear strut on the passenger side was leaking oil. The failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing. The mechanic stated that the rear passenger side strut needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact also stated that the windshield was making an abnormal squeaking sound while the vehicle was in motion. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 59,000.

- Hackensack, NJ, USA

Nov 012013

Camry

All the 4 struts are leaking. I took the car for tire rotation at Goodyear service station. They told me that all 4 struts are leaking and need replacement. I then took the car of ntb they said same thing. It's unusual for carmy with 50000 miles to have all 4 struts leaking. I see lots of people have this problem with the Camry. The ride is bumpy. This should be a recall.

- Dublin, OH, USA

Feb 202015

Camry

I am going through my second set of struts in 4000 miles. Contacted Toyota dealership, they said that the oil from struts sometimes leaks. To my surprise I am not the only one who deals with strut problem on 2007 Camry. Many people in blogs report that the struts just give up at 10000 miles, 20000 miles. Mine gave up at 4000, I just changed the whole front set a week ago and it makes noise again!!! I do not understand how such poor quality parts are allowed to be installed on vehicles sold on us market.

- Astoria, NY, USA

Jun 012013

Camry

My dashboard is sticky and melting. Nothing can be put on it. The windshield protector so it doesn't get real hot inside got stuck to dashboard and not big hole in the dashboard. When I am driving sometimes the glare is so striking that it gives you a blindspot. This is very dangerous and I would like to know if you all are going to replace it.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Sep 012014

Camry 4-cyl

Toyota dealership recommended immediate repairs (replacement) of front, left, and right strut (part # 48520-09F40 and 48510-09M90). Total repair cost estimated is $719.73. This is my third Toyota Camry. 2004 Camry became "lemon" for brakes problem, 2005 Camry became "lemon" for engine problem. And now on my third Camry, after driving only 65000 miles, front struts of my car have leaking oil. My car was not involved in any accident. I see on website many complaints for leaking oil on struts on 2007 Camry. I suggest to Toyota making recalls for this issue.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Dec 292012

Camry

On December 29, 2012 the dealer told me that the water pump was leaking and needed to be replaced as well as the 4 front struts. February 2014 took the car for an oil change 85 thousand miles. Told that my card did not have much oil, of course I blamed them, I thought they were lying. Because I always have my oil change every 5 thousand miles, so I asked them to check their records. I took the car to be inspected another mechanic, the car has no oil leak. I took the car to be inspected another mechanic, the car has no oil leak. I mechanic told me that problems is with piston rings and it will cost me a lot to fix it. Since I cannot effort to get it fix I been adding 1.5 quarter of oil every 2,000 miles.

- Fallbrook, CA, USA

Oct 012013

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that the struts were found to be leaking. The vehicle was taken to the dealer to have a diagnostic performed that confirmed the struts was leaking however, the dealer advised that the struts did not need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 74,000 and the current 75,250. Updated 07/28/14 MA the consumer no longer owns the vehicle. Updated 07/29/14

- Freeland , MD, USA

Jan 302014

Camry 4-cyl

My mechanic showed me all 4 struts(F&R) are leaking too much and that they have to be replaced. I called manhattan beach Toyota and they said it is not covered under any recall or warranty & it will cost over $1400 to replace. It took the mechanic over hours to complete replacing all 4 struts. I am really shocked by this finding, it shouldn't have happened, and Toyota should take care of this problem.

- El Segundo, CA, USA

Oct 172013

Camry

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that while driving approximately 60 mph, the vehicle exhibited a loud thump. The vehicle then started to vibrate. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that all four struts needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 65,500.

- Lilburn, GA, USA

Aug 232013

Camry

This is not fair to consumer: Suddenly my Toyota Camry 2007 has suspension leak (struts) at both front and rear at level 2 (per the inspection of regular vehicle maintenance at a Toyota dealer). They asks for 1700 usd to fix these. I know that I keep the car very good, no accident, not a minor accident; and the last maintenance only a few months before from also the Toyota dealer, they check green mark at suspension. So why suddenly the car has issue with both front and rear of suspension leak (struts) at level 2? I searched the internet, and found out that it looks like Toyota has this issue already in the car but with less severe level, and so there is no warning to the consumer/buyer. Now, after a few years of purchasing, the suspension leak become severe up to the level they ask the consumer to pay to fix, that is not a honest business. This should be a recall!

- San Jose, CA, USA

Oct 292011

Camry 4-cyl

On 10/21/11 an independent mechanic informed me that all 4 struts were leaking and told me to take it to the dealer for inspection. On 10/29/11 the dealer inspected it and stated that there was "residue" which is normal and no repair was needed at this time. The dealer did not state that it was not covered under warranty only that it was normal to have some leakage. The independent mechanic stated that it is not normal to be leaking and it should not be leaking at 36,000 miles. Several times the independent mechanic stated that the struts were leaking. The last time on 9/27/13 he said the leakage was past the perch. So I took it to the Toyota dealer again on September 27, 2013. They admitted that the struts are now leaking. However both the dealer and Toyota customer service stated the repair is not covered under our extended warranty package. If they had started leaking during the normal warranty period of 3 years/36,000 miles, it would have been covered. Again, in 2011, they never stated it was not covered under warranty, just that it was normal to have "residue". I will probably have the struts replaced at the dealer in case there is some future resolution/reimbursement offered on this issue. I don't want to keep driving the car with leaking struts. The funny thing is they offer a lifetime warranty on strut replacement after the first replacement. Hmmm, do they build them to fail"?"

- Monterey, CA, USA

Aug 052013

Camry 4-cyl

I have a 2007 Toyota Camry and I purchased a extended warranty when I bought the car in 2007 that warranty expired August 1, 2013 a few days after it had expired my driver side visor will not stay up! I do not hang anything on it like cd holder or anything. It is driving me crazy because it makes it very hard to see the road when I am driving and I feel this should be recalled sense there has been multiple complaints for the 2007 Camry with this same situation and it is a safety problem for many Camry owners. The visor sometimes even hits me in the head when I try to get out of my car. I have had many issues with this car from day one and I am not very happy that this has not been recalled yet. Seems like Toyota does not care for the safety of their customers. Also on top of the visor my shock coil broke on the passenger side which the extended warranty did cover sense it happened before August 1st but now the strut is leaking oil on that same side, I brought it to the Toyota dealer in June 2013 and they told me they won't replace it because even though it is leaking oil it is not 100% broken yet and told me the warranty wont cover it until it completely blows! I told them I have a young child that I have to think of this safety along with mine and was shocked that even though it is leaking oil (which is not good) cause at any moment while driving it can bust that Toyota doesn't recognize it, its not like it will heal on its own so I feel it should have been replaced under my warranty that I paid almost $1000 for when I purchased the car! I hope Toyota will recall the visor issue for their customers. I am going to contact Toyota directly on Monday to see if I can get anywhere with this safety issue.

- Cicero, NY, USA

Jul 092013

Camry

During replacement of the tires on this vehicle, the mechanic observed oil leaks on both of the front struts on this car. Although this is the first time this condition was observed, the leaks must have been present for some time because this condition probably contributed to the deterioration of the tires. One of the tires actually showed areas where the steel belts of the tire were exposed - potentially a very dangerous situation.

- Mashpee, MA, USA