CarComplaints.com Notes: Much like the 2007 model year, which has a higher number of complaints, owners are reporting that their engines are running out of oil awfully quick. As in, 1 quart every 1,200 miles. Toyota maintains that’s with the “normal” operating range of the 2AZ-FE while owners maintain that’s complete BS.

The issue may be the result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

2008 Toyota Camry electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Toyota Camry:

2008 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Mar 222010

Camry

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that the dealer reprogrammed the computer system for recall 10V017000 (vehicle speed control, accelerator pedal). He also noticed that the brake system was not functioning properly after the recall repair was performed. The contact was driving approximately 75 mph when all of the warning lights on the instrument panel illuminated and the brakes failed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The dealer could not duplicate the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 90,000. The current mileage was approximately 93,000. Updated 05/11/10.

- Kenne, VA, USA

Jan 272010

Camry

My Toyota Camry pedal was in the sticking position and when I went to brake the brakes would not do their job and I couldn't stop until I bumped the car in front of me. Prior to this incident, I had experienced sudden acceleration a few time over the last two and half years with this car, but never any sticking or break failure.

- Rossford, OH, USA

Jun 012009

Camry

I purchased my Camry in 2007 from carson Toyota in los angeles. On the second day after purchased my vehicle I already started experiencing electrical problems with my moon roof. On some occasions it would not close properly. Instead of pushing the close button, I had to tap it till it closes completely and careful not to over tap or it would open on its own again. This problem comes and goes and I've had the dealer checked my car back then. Overall, they gave me a hard time, first response I received from their mechanic was "that's how it is" so I argued with him that you don't tap a moon roof button hoping it would close properly. I also spoke to the sales agent who sold it to us and just gave the answer "it's a machine, sometimes it breaks down" which made me upset as I just bought the car a week before and if he told me that then, I would not have sunk $20,000 into it if it would start acting up on the second day! anyway, they checked my moonroof and could not find anything wrong and told me to come back next week if it still didn't work. Unfortunately it stopped and in the past 2.8 years this problem keeps surfacing and disappearing up to now. Then after living with this defect, I had the unfortunate experience of sudden acceleration when my gas pedal got stuck. I have bad back problems but with sudden panic was able to reach down and grab the carpet to loosen the pedal. Since then I have not felt safe in my car and I'm afraid to press on the gas pedal to hard. I'm concerned about the recall as it does not prevent the accelerations from happening and if I hit my brakes on a busy street and the car dies, I'm afraid of getting hit from behind or on the side especially with my son in the car. To summarize: I've had an acceleration and electrical problems with this Toyota. If I may put in a request, Toyota needs to take back this car and refund it's current worth at the time of the recall, so that we can purchase a safer family car.

- Los A, CA, USA

Sep 282007

Camry

My 2008 Toyota Camry had problems from the day that I purchased it. I took it back to the dealer and also contacted Toyota motor sales U.S.a. I have taken the car back to the dealer several times for the same problem. The national center for dispute settlement was called by the Toyota motor sales U.S.a. and they also did not resolve the problem. I feel unsafe driving the car. The car races unexpectedly and lurches forward in stop and go traffic. I am afraid that the car is going to crash into something or someone. I have been complaining about this to the above since I purchased the car. The dealer kept my car for 8 days on one of my visits to their repair shop and told me they couldn't find anything wrong with it. Now that the Toyota problem has been made public, I hope that my complaint will not be dismissed as before. I tried to ask Toyota to buy back my car, I noticed the problem when the car only had 16 miles on it. Can you please help? I kept all of the communications between the Toyota and the ncds since the time I first filed my complaints with this problem.

- Roslyn Heights, NY, USA

Feb 012010

Camry

Vehicle dash lights go out. Whereas you cannot see your speed or other important dash instruments.

- Lumberton, NC, USA

Aug 282008

Camry

1. driving car on interstate and 65mph and it stalled on 08/28. Driving car at 35 mph and it stalled Sept. 10th. 2. on Aug. 28th and Sept. 10th - car engine shuts off and is very dangerous especially driving on the interstate and the causeway bridge. Can cause accident and potential injury or life of driver. 3. lakeside Toyota could not duplicate the problem on Aug. 28th or 29th. Computer chip registered no problems. No repairs made.

- Covington, LA, USA

Oct 012007

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Camry. While driving 10 mph, the vehicle hesitates during acceleration. The failure prevents the contact from changing lanes because the vehicle will not gain speed. The failure has caused near crashes. The dealer installed new hardware in the vehicle. The repair helped approximately 40%, but the vehicle still hesitates. The current mileage was 2,150 and noticed the failure mileage at 100. The consumer stated car will not start until the third try. Updated 12/12/07

- Hialeah, FL, USA