CarComplaints.com Notes: Much like the 2007 model year, which has a higher number of complaints, owners are reporting that their engines are running out of oil awfully quick. As in, 1 quart every 1,200 miles. Toyota maintains that’s with the “normal” operating range of the 2AZ-FE while owners maintain that’s complete BS.

The issue may be the result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

2008 Toyota Camry electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Toyota Camry:

2008 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

May 212016

Camry

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that the speedometer stopped working around 2011. The contact also stated that the accelerator pedal failed to accelerate intermittently. The vehicle had been at the dealer approximately eight times. The vehicle needed to be repaired in order for the speedometer to work. Also, the vehicle would not pass the state emissions test. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 168,000. Updated 10/05/16

- Chino Hills, CA, USA

Aug 102015

Camry

August 10 2015 I was driving my car when the windows began to go up and down by it self then the driver window began to smoke I pulled over where I was and got out to get help by the time I got back out the driver door had flames coming out of the car all the doors locked and by the time the fire dept got there they had to pry the doors and hood open nothing electrical worked they got the fire out and my car was concidered a total loss Toyota came out to look at my car in September and I got a response in October where my case manager troy higga told me it was do to the recall that my car cought fire and they would take care of any finance that I paid out of pocket here we are 10 months later I have heard nothing im over 6000$ in dept my credit messed up and my savings gone when I got that recall in the mail I did call Toyota and they told me that they did not have the parts in yet they would contact me back when they had it in also

- Buffalo, NY, USA

Apr 082016

Camry

The ABS and brake lights of my Toyota 2008 Camry come on and off intermittently. When the lights are on, the whole dashboard readers; the speedometer, RPM, engine temperature and other gauges jump and flicker, the light markers for ABS and parking go off. Went to dealer to get it checked out but there were no codes to diagnose the issue. It keeps happening at various times of the day (morning and evening), when the car is stopped or moving, and on all types of roads and driving conditions (city streets, highway, at a stop light, at a stop sign, when I am turning). I have noticed that Toyota has already issued a recall for the same issue for the 2007 Camry hybrid. Given the sheer number of complaints I have read about this issue for the regular Camry 2007, it seems ridiculous that Toyota has not issued a recall for this for the 2007 Camry.

- AtizapN De Zaragoza, NM, USA

Apr 122016

Camry

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Camry. While driving 5 mph, the emergency brake warning light illuminated. In addition, the gauges and meters on the instrument cluster displayed incorrect readings. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the brake actuator needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 105,480.

- Sparta, NJ, USA

Oct 012015

Camry

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Camry. While traveling at various speeds or while the vehicle was parked, the instrument panel failed intermittently. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 146,000.

- Vacaville, CA, USA

Jul 182015

Camry

While this vehicle in the dashboard the RPM keep on flapping up and down, speedometer stayed still in the lower position, the A/C keep on turn on and off on its own and the ABS and brake light came on and stayed

- Las Vegas , NV, USA

Sep 012014

Camry

My ABS light and brake light came on and my speedometer, tachometer, temp gauge, gear lights stop working, and the A/C stop blowing cold air, and the gauges bounce around. Tried replacing the dash and it did not work. Took it to several mechanics and they cannot figure out what is wrong. Had my brakes checked out and they are fine. I can push the up/down lock button on my door and the gauges will start working, but that does not always work. I have to put gas in my car every week because of the gas hand not working properly either. I have read several complaints on the same problem and no solutions and no recalls. This should be a recall issue. There should be a recall.

- Shreveport, LA, USA

Feb 122015

Camry

Car has ABS, brake warning, vsc, and master brake warning lights on. From what I have researched this could be potentially dangerous.

- Decorah, IA, USA

Aug 042014

Camry

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that while driving at 5 mph and opening the window, he noticed that there was smoke coming from the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 140,000.

- Flushing , NY, USA

Jun 042013

Camry 4-cyl

Our family owns a 2004 Toyota Tundra which we love so that made us buy a Camry in 2008 big mistake! ever since I bought this car new in 08' had nothing but mechanical issues and as of date 6 recalls and counting. A month after I purchased the veh they replaced my axle, brakes and then that's when the recalls starting coming in. From my visors falling to now the window recalls. My front dashboard is nasty sticky no matter how I clean it it's gross the sticky won't go away and the arms rests on the driver door and passenger sides are both rotten from the inside their cracked and broken. I don't use arm rests so they shouldn't be! the top ceiling cloth in my car fell down the 4th month I had my vehicle so my father spray glued it (how sad is that!). this was my first car I purchased brand new so going thru this after complaints at the dealership they still didn't do anything. I'm so upset I have no words left to say about this vehicle I'm driving a crap car that's falling apart from the day I purchased it. Thank you Toyota!!!!! unless they take care of my car situation I will never recommend Toyota to anyone nor buy another Toyota it's sad!!!

- Alta Loma, CA, USA

Aug 112014

Camry 4-cyl

ABS and brake light lit on dash; tachometer, temp gauge and speedometer fluctuated and car seemed at times as if it wanted to die and when pushing on the gas it would not give much power. During this incident the ac stops blowing cold air.

- Tracy, CA, USA

Aug 012014

Camry

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Camry. While driving approximately 35 mph, the ABS and brake warning indicators illuminated, and the speedometer malfunctioned. The contact turned off and restarted the vehicle, but the indicators were still illuminated. The failure occurred multiple times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 43,000.

- Margate, FL, USA

May 112014

Camry

Speedometer not working, brake light comes on and off, RPM gauge fluttering, ABS light on we took it to dealer and they found nothing wrong with it and had no suggestion for fixing it. Took it to an independent mechanic who replaced ignition. Problem continues. Toyota needs to recall and fix.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

May 162014

Camry 4-cyl

The ABS light on my dash started appearing intermittently in October; the mechanic said the codes were inconsistent and must be diagnosed by dealer. Dealer evaluated in February; they first suggested it was my ABS ECU going bad ($2400); upon prodding, they said just my rear tire sensor must be replaced ($600). The inconsistent answer and cost has deterred my from replacing either. Internet search indicated many people have similar problem and after many misdiagnosis, ABS ECU appears to be culprit. Last week, ABS and brake light lit on dash; tachometer, temp gauge and speedometer went to zero. Car drove and braked ok. Gauges fluctuated from normal readings (average temp, tach 3000rpm, mid-level temp) to all values at zero, even when I am driving 65mph according to gps reading. Readings would recover and fail continuously, and in other cases worked properly for 30 miles. In some cases, ac stopped blowing cold. Further internet searches suggest ac, dash lights, ABS all point to Bosch ABS ECU. I found three NHTSA complaints that look same/similar for Camry: 10587648, 10555094, 10521931. Reports for ABS on other cars sound similar (possibly Bosch ECU?). the fault codes pointed to multiple tire sensors failing at one time; other failure codes were also reported. The faults did not point to the ECU. While ABS is not necessary for driving, it is desirable. However, it is a safety issue and a financial burden to have wrong or inconclusive codes that either lead to fixing the wrong thing (tire sensor vs ECU) or preventing safety information from being properly reported (0 mph, engine temp 0, brake light on, etc). I have not decided to replace ECU yet, as I am still trying to confirm there is no other possible problem that will cost even more than $2400.

- Livermore, CA, USA

Feb 232014

Camry 4-cyl

The warning lights went on and immediate the vehicle shut down while I was traveling a city street in san francisco, California (dewey blvd). Fortunately the street is fairly level and I wasn't on a hill. I loss power to the brake, steering and everything as everything was dead. I was able to coast to a curb putting all my effort to stop the car. I tried starting and moved about 10 feet before everything went dead again. I did not move it further I called for a tow (aaa) and the initial diagnosis was that the alternator was dead. The car was towed to a mechanic who also said that this alternator was dead and it was replaced. I told him where it happened and he said I was lucky that I wasn't on the freeway.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

May 072014

Camry 4-cyl

On my way home from work, at approximately 4:00 pm, while driving at approximately 35 mph, I noticed my dashboard panel lights fluttering, and that the panel instruments were moving up and down (specifically my tachometer and temperature gauge). My speedometer was not registering any speed, even though I was doing about 35 mph, and the brake and ABS lights were on and bright red. I took the car to the dealer next day, and I was told that the ABS actuator was defective and it would cost me $2492, plus labor to replace the ABS actuator. I was also told that regular braking would work, but the ABS would not. I like my Toyota Camry 2008. My prior 1996 Camry is still running well, and I also liked it. That's why I bought the 2008 model. What I don't like a is a car with under performing, unsafe, faulty engineered or substandard parts, which may lead to accidents, loss of life and customer frustration.

- San Juan, PR, USA

Apr 282014

Camry 6-cyl

Smoke appeared from the console between front seats and within seconds fire started and quickly complete interior car burned.

- Gibsonia, PA, USA

Mar 252013

Camry 4-cyl

When you drive car for more than 20 - 30 minutes the shift solenoid lock gets extremely hot; the higher the speed the hotter it gets. I mentioned it at the Toyota dealership when I brought my car in. The mechanic said it didn't get hot for him but he didn't drive it over 45 mph and only for 10 - 15 minutes; but then he offered up the part name, I.e., shift solenoid lock. He told me to follow all the recalls and that I could file a complaint.

- Stockbridge, GA, USA

Jan 012011

Camry 4-cyl

Both (driver and passenger side) sun visors are defective via disconnect and/or inability to move from windshield view (occurring only 3 years after purchase of vehicle new). Also, vehicles electrical plug outlets also do not work, and have not worked since after 3 years of vehicle purchased new. Searching online, it appears that both items are extremely common for 2007-2008 Toyota Camry owners, with at least thousands pleading for a recall as the fixes are extremely expensive, for an item that does not typically break with normal wear and tear, and is obviously not derived from wear and tear.

- Upper Marlboro, MD, USA

Nov 052010

Camry

Electrical - roof would not close - had to try several times, would go half way and reopen; radio-display blanks, ejects 6 discs and will not reset - cannot use tuner buttons, can only turn knob and can't switch bands as each button causes power to go off.

- Whitman, MA, USA