Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Much like the 2007 model year, which has a higher number of complaints, owners are reporting that their engines are running out of oil awfully quick. As in, 1 quart every 1,200 miles. Toyota maintains that’s with the “normal” operating range of the 2AZ-FE while owners maintain that’s complete BS.

The issue may be the result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

2008 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Toyota Camry:

2008 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 2 of 5)

Oct 202008

The contacts owns a 2008 Toyota Camry. While driving approximately 55 mph, the vehicle accelerated suddenly. The contact stated the vehicle was taken to the dealer for recall 09V388000 (vehicle speed control: Accelerator pedal) but the vehicle continued to experience sudden acceleration after the repairs were made. The contact stated the acceleration occurred intermittently at various speeds. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer after the repairs were made. The technicians stated they could not diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was not contacted. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- Accoville, WV, USA

Sep 132010

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that the repairs were recalls 09V3880000 & 10V017000 (vehicle speed control: Accelerator pedal) were performed in 2010. While driving approximately 10 mph, the vehicle suddenly accelerated and crashed into a parked vehicle. The contact sustained injuries to the leg, face and arm. A police report was filed. The vehicle was destroyed. The contact filed a complaint with the manufacturer. The failure mileage was unknown. Updated 12/14/2011 updated 04/25/11

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Dec 122010

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Camry. As the vehicle was being shifted out of park, the rpms increased suddenly, the vehicle accelerated and crashed into a building. Two people were injured as a result. A police report was filed. The vehicle was being repaired for damages. Prior to the failure, the vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for a repair for recall 10V017000 (vehicle speed control: Accelerator pedal) but the dealer told the contact to bring the vehicle back within two months because they could detect no problems. The manufacturer had not been notified. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Sep 152010

We received a recall letter on our 2008 Camry due gas pedal problem. We took the Camry in for the recall. The dealer shaved the pedal down. This is the fix for the run away Camry's. the fix is very sloppy and makes the car uncomfortable to drive due the pedal being so short now. I call Toyota they said that was the approved fix. They did give me a case number and said someone would call in 3 days. The fix seems to be a lot more unsafe now than before.

- Deer Park, TX, USA

Sep 012009

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Camry. The vehicle suddenly accelerated while driving up hill. The driver lost control and the vehicle turned over. The engine also caught fire. There were no injuries. The vehicle was towed. The insurance company investigated the failure; however, she didn't received the investigation report. The contact recently received recall 09V388000 vehicle speed control: Accelerator pedal. The police report was available upon request. The vehicle was destroyed. The VIN was not available. The failure and current mileages were 4,019. Updated 11/22/10 updated 11/23/10

- Dry Creek, WV, USA

Aug 272010

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Camry. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for recall 09V388000 vehicle speed control: Accelerator pedal on June 2010 with 55,000 miles. On August 27, 2010 while approaching the intersection 35 mph the check engine light illuminated and she heard a noise underneath the hood the vehicle stalled after a few seconds the vehicle suddenly accelerated with her foot on the brake pedal. The vehicle will be taken to the dealer to be diagnosed. The VIN was not available. The failure and the current mileage was 60,000.

- Palatine , IL, USA

Jul 102010

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Camry. The contact was at a traffic light with his foot on the brake when suddenly the vehicle surged four feet into traffic and stopped. A crash did not occur as a result of the failure. On the same day, that afternoon, while at a stop sign with his foot on the brake pedal, the contact stated that the vehicle began to surge again and lunge several inches forward. The contact shifted into neutral gear and the rpms increased excessively while his foot was on the brake pedal. He then shifted into park gear and the vehicle began making a loud noise; he shifted back to neutral and was able to continue to drive forward. The vehicle had previously been serviced for all recalls related to vehicle speed control. The contact will schedule an appointment with the dealer to inspect the vehicle. The contact had not called the manufacturer when the complaint was filed. The current mileage was approximately 30,650. The failure mileage was 30,532.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Jul 062010

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Camry hybrid. The contact was driving approximately 2 to 3 mph up a hill attempting to stop when the rpms increased excessively. The contact applied the brakes repeatedly and the vehicle continued to accelerate. The gear selector was shifted into the park positon and the vehicle stopped while crashing into the proceeding vehicle which caused a chain reaction crash with a second vehicle. There was minimal impact when the crash occurred. The contact stated that the vehicle sustained scratches to the front end bumper. There were no personal injuries. A police report was not filed. The manufacturer advised the contact that he would receive a follow-up call within twenty-four hours. The manufacturer had not responded regarding the failure when the complaint was filed. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was approxiamtely 25,000.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Dec 162008

Lack of throttle control, up and down shifting, acceleration surging, extreme acceleration from minimal throttle depression (impossible to drive in Maine winter slippery roads). Cruise control varies 7 to 9 mph on the Maine turnpike when set 75 mph. At 75 mph the car will un-lock the converter and down shift to maintain speed and over accelerates by 5mph and stays in the lower gear for considerable time then de-celerates the throttle and does not up shift, then up shifts and locks the converter at the same time creating a sudden jolt and takes 1/2 mile to resume set speed unless there another hill.

- Warren, ME, USA

Apr 132010

While driver was pulling into a parking space and coming to a near stop, the vehicle, a 2008 Toyota Camry, suddenly accelerated on its own Accord, hopping the concrete curb, accelerating the vehicle as the car crashed struck and pushed along a trash bin, thru thick brush, a steel gated fence and eventually striking a tree where the vehicle finally came to rest. The driver attempted to stop the vehicle by applying both feet to the brakes as it traveled approximately 150 feet. The vehicle was subject to both the floor mat and acceleration pedal recalls which were repaired on February 11, 2010. This incident was post-recall repair. Since the incident, the vehicle has not been repaired and is currently being stored by an autobody repair facility and awaits inspection by NHTSA and Toyota.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Apr 152010

I was driving down george roy parkway (calera, al) next to the house and the car started taking off at about 40 mph. I hit the brake and the ABS started stopping the car. It was almost stopped and I let off the brake and it took off again. I then looked down to turn it off and I crashed off the side of the road. I had a small scratch on my finger and I hit my head on the roof. I went the er the next day and the ct scan did not show anything. But, the doctor said I still could have a minor concussion.

- Calera, AL, USA

Mar 292010

My wife was driving to work Monday morning March 29, 2010 about 7:15 am in a Toyota Camry hybrid on a road she usually takes to work. She was on a straight and level part of the road. All of a sudden the car started to accelerate. She tried braking but the car would not stop. She landed up hitting a tree that stopped the car. After hitting the tree she could not turn the car off. The car was a total loss and is now the property of our insurance company. I have filed a claim with Toyota.

- Huntingdon Valley, PA, USA

Apr 082010

Sudden acceleration and brake problems.

- Santa Ana, CA, USA

Nov 012009

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Camry. While driving approximately 65 mph, the vehicle suddenly accelerated. While trying to regain control of the vehicle, the contact crashed into a guardrail. The contact was injured and the vehicle was destroyed. A police report was filed. The VIN was unavailable

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Mar 062010

I'm a school counselor. I was going home from work at about 3:50 pm yesterday, 4-6-2010, going South on rt. 222, about 4 miles North of the denver exit. I went to pass another car and pushed hard on my 2008 Toyota Camry's accelerator. It locked and kept accelerating as I pulled into the passing lane. I took my foot off the pedal all the way, maybe a half a foot, but all I heard was the engine racing as I saw myself getting closer to the car in the lane in front of me. I panicked and began to stomp down on the pedal several times, I figure I was above eighty mph by then. As I was trying to decide how to steer around everyone I hammered down on the pedal again and it stopped. The car accelerated ok and I carefully used the gas until I got the car home. I then called the new holland Toyota dealership who did the recall fix on 3-27-2010, told doug what just happened. I never had the car do this before! I always thought it had a good smooth ride. Doug gave me the 800 number to call Toyota to file for a case manager. I'm very upset and afraid to use this car for me or my family. I feel like it's unbelievable that it happened to me but it did. What is being done about this terrible situation? please help me with what I should do next.

- Narvon, PA, USA

Feb 012010

I have a 2008 Toyota Camry, when starting my auto, the engine races for appx. 30 seconds, then goes down. Also in the last 5 weeks I have notice that the car lurches forward then goes back to the spend I have it on. I am very nervous driving this car, this problem just started happening about 5 or 6 weeks ago, at first I thought I was just thinking it was happening, but it seems to be getting more frequent. I have to drive it, it is the only car I have, so doctors appointments have to be keep, fear or not, I hope it does not go speeding an not stop, my mother is 82 a very afraid to get into the car, but we have to go places. We live on roads with inclines. Very steep hills, one has a stop sign at the foot of it, but so far it does stop. It makes a loud engine noise. Like a grinding of the engine, at first the brakes hesitate stopping but I push really hard on them and they stop it. I took it in for an inspection sticker an they said it passed. I told them about the problem. They said they did not know what to do about it at this time.

- Whitman, WV, USA

Mar 262010

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Camry. The contact was driving approximately 35 mph, attempted to make a turn and a loud noise was coming from the engine. The accelerator pedal began to stick with a sluggish response, followed by the engine stalling. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer. The technician stated that the noise was coming from a pebble in the hub caps. The failure had not occurred after the service repair. The failure mileage was 53,000.

- Mt. Pleasant, SC, USA

Dec 222008

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Camry. While driving at a speed 40 mph the vehicle accelerated on its own without the gas being engaged. The failure occurred everytime the vehicle was driven. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where a padding was placed on the brake. The driver also stated that the visor constantly fell down while the vehicle was driven. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 28. The current mileage was 4380.-ts

- Mattapan, MA, USA

Feb 082010

The contact owned a 2008 Toyota Camry. While driving 25 mph in snowy weather conditions, the driver tried to stop the vehicle by applying the brakes, which caused the vehicle to accelerate. The driver crashed head on into another vehicle. The driver had minor injuries and suffered from a whiplash and contusions on the leg. A police report was taken. The vehicle was destroyed and taken to a collision center. The failure mileage was 78000.

- Santa Fe, NM, USA

Jan 272010

My Toyota Camry pedal was in the sticking position and when I went to brake the brakes would not do their job and I couldn't stop until I bumped the car in front of me. Prior to this incident, I had experienced sudden acceleration a few time over the last two and half years with this car, but never any sticking or break failure.

- Rossford, OH, USA