CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2009 Camry used to be adorned with our “Seal of Pretty Good” but that was before an alarming number of complaints started rolling in for excessive oil consumption.

Owners are being caught off-guard with how quickly their cars are running out of oil. No leaks, no spills, just 1 quart of vanishing oil in as little as 1,200 miles. Toyota maintains this is “normal” for the 2AZ-FE engine, even though they issued a TSB for the problem in August of 2011.

The issue may be the result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

6.6

$3,558.00

2. replace water pump (2 reports)
2009 Toyota Camry cooling system problems

cooling system problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Camry:

2009 Toyota Camry Owner Comments

Sep 012014

Camry LX V4

I was traveling in a highway with my kid in the back seat. Suddenly I was hearing the noise when I accelerate the vehicle. Later suddenly smoke coming out of my vehicle. All other vehicles started going away from my vehicle. It was a terrible experience. My 2 year old kid crying because of smoke. Finally I stopped my car side of the road and called towing to tow the car to nearest Firestone.

- , Austin, TX, USA

Aug 012013

Camry LE 2.4L V4 2azfe

Factory water pump failed on at ~43000k miles while driving. This failure caused the engine to overheat and seize while in operation. This failure occurred after it's 40k regular maintenance at Universal Toyota in San Antonio where no issue were found. This is an incredibly short lifespan for a water pump. I replaced the water pump, belt, and thermostat myself because I didn't have the time nor money to take the car into the shop at the time.

- , Texas, TX, USA

Feb 222014

Camry

Great deal of noise coming from under the hood that seemed to get louder each day. By the third day, I couldn't take it. Took it in to the dealership and they stated, " WATER PUMP". My car only has 35,000 miles and right off of the warranty. Not a heavy highway driver neither; and at this early life of the car; there's a water pump issue! There's no way!

I did some research and found that there's a global problem with the 2009 Camry's water pump that was mentioned back in 11/2012 in the NY Daily News. This perhaps is not being mentioned based on the biggest recall in 2010 regarding the gas pedal. This is not what I want to hear after investing in this particular vehicle based on its history of being a reliable car. In addition, if there's a water pump problem now, what's gonna be next? Mind you, this is my second Camry. I owned a 1995 Camry and drove that to the end with no major problems.

While you may save on gas, you will definitely be spending $$$ on replacing water pumps at $695.00 from the dealership. What a rip off! In this day and age, I think Toyota better step up their game. There are so many other vehicles out there that are surpassing Toyota.

- , Brooklyn, NY, USA

Nov 152012

Camry ES V4

I went to the dealer ship and the freaking sales rep right off the bat said oooh it sounds like the water pump. I said well no check engine light came on AND THE CAR IS NOT OVER-HEATING. Well, sure as sh*t I get a phone call later saying Mr. Fonz your water pump needs to be replaced and its going to run you about $500.00 and that will stop the knocking. I went home did some research and yup this is an ongoing problem with this type of car and oooh my warranty does not cover it because I’m over the 60,000 mile limit.. This is bullshit because it’s a problem most 09 Camry’s have this problem and I feel it should be fixed… WHAT YOU SAY???

- , Port Richey, FL, USA

Oct 212011

Camry SE 2.4L I4

Car was always serviced at Toyota of Des Moines where we purchased. Took the Camry in for regular maintenance and service adviser claimed the water pump was leaking. The little coolant that had leaked was topped off. He suggested we schedule a warranty appointment to have it fixed within a few weeks. My wife drove the car 300 miles that night. In the morning I checked the reservoir to find it empty. Next I opened the radiator to find that nearly all coolant had leaked out. I was a bit pissed considering my wife was alone, on interstate 80, at night when this coolant leaked. The best part is that apparently this is a common problem with these cars and the dealer is fully aware but treat it case by case. Nice way to lose (former) faithful customers.

- , Grimes, IA, USA

Oct 192011

Camry LX 2.4L

Water pump was leaking.Fluid leak was found from water pump seal on 45350 ml.Tech .replaced the pump under extended warranty .

- , Waterford, MI, USA

Jun 012011

Camry LE 2.4L

09 Camry knocking noise from the engine,identified as a water pump issue,changed by the dealer under warranty,great quality Toyota !!! new water pump goes within 3 years and under 40000km.

- , Hamilton, Ontario, Canada