Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2009 Camry used to be adorned with our “Seal of Pretty Good” but that was before an alarming number of complaints started rolling in for excessive oil consumption.

Owners are being caught off-guard with how quickly their cars are running out of oil. No leaks, no spills, just 1 quart of vanishing oil in as little as 1,200 miles. Toyota maintains this is “normal” for the 2AZ-FE engine, even though they issued a TSB for the problem in August of 2011.

The issue may be the result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

2009 Toyota Camry fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Camry:

2009 Toyota Camry Owner Comments

Nov 012014

Excessive oil consumption recall: Over the last year I noticed my oil consumption was drastically increasing. I started burning through oil and having to add a quart every 2 months and now monthly. In the past few months, a very large plume of white smoke would spew out of my tail pipes; not just a little but a large cloud of smoke. It has a very burnt smell to it too. The smoke dissipates after the car warms and as long as the car is warm, it will not smoke. It only smoke when the vehicle has been off for over 2-3 hours. I was told by a certified Toyota mechanic that I need to replace the engine due to faulty internal parts. He stated it was the reason for such a high level of oil consumption. I discovered that Toyota is currently recalling certain engine blocks due to oil consumption defects, however my VIN number is not part of that recall as of now. According to Toyota, my VIN could eventually become part of the recall (oil consumption recall) but as of now, it is not. I don't understand how a major manufacturer will not stand by their product and repair my engine considering they are already recalling other engines with the exact same issues I am having with my Camry. This was my first Camry too. Very disappointed with Toyota.

- Mira Loma, CA, USA

Jul 252013

Camry 6-cyl

Moved to tx in 2012 and have not had any previous starting issues before moving. Attempted to start the vehicle during my lunch break, engine turned over but was unable to start. Attempted to start the car again and the engine cranked and started with a hard "jolt" as if the gear shift was out of position. Several days later the temperature was warmer and the same problem occurred. Scheduled a appointment with my local Toyota dealership and was told all systems were normal and they could not determine the cause of the problem since they could not replicate starting issue. The starting issue occurs on relatively hot days, turning the key to "on" before starting does not help the problem, the second start attempt is usually a "hard" start such that it feels as if the engine is jerking. Toyota should investigate electrical/fuel/and air components to determine the cause of this starting problem, especially since the issues seems to be temperature related.

- Houston, TX, USA

May 162012

Camry 4-cyl

After having car serviced for the 30,000 mile service, I noticed that the car wasn't holdin power. I took the car back to South bay Toyota, they test drove it found nothing wrong. Still having the problem, the following Monday, I took the car to the original Toyota that I purchased it from to have them recheck it, they found nothing wrong, they said they test drove it also. As a result there was no charge. They told me to take it back to South bay Toyota because they were not responsible for their work. At South bay, the technician hooked it up to the computerized monitor to check it; and there were no signals to indicate a problem in the car. I stopped at tony's auto shop also. He found nothing wrong- he test drove it. Finally, today, I took it over to another mechanic's shop and I rode with him as he test drove it; he discovered that it was the "throttle" and that I needed to take it back to the dealer and have them upgrade the software in the car or double check the throttle: That is where the pressure is being lost. When you press down on the gas pedal, the system is not recognizing the pressure.

- Gardena, CA, USA