CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2009 Camry used to be adorned with our “Seal of Pretty Good” but that was before an alarming number of complaints started rolling in for excessive oil consumption.

Owners are being caught off-guard with how quickly their cars are running out of oil. No leaks, no spills, just 1 quart of vanishing oil in as little as 1,200 miles. Toyota maintains this is “normal” for the 2AZ-FE engine, even though they issued a TSB for the problem in August of 2011.

The issue may be the result of defective piston rings and is the possible target of a class-action lawsuit.

3.2

2009 Toyota Camry wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Camry:

2009 Toyota Camry Owner Comments

May 112014

Camry 4-cyl

On October 4, 2013, I purchased 4 tires from dealership. The 4 tires brand: Cooper CS4 215/60R16. On May 11, 2014, returning from dinner with family, the front passenger tire immediately went flat resulting in calling aaa roadside service. I took the tire back to the dealership and was informed that there was a huge lump on the sidewall of the tire. It was stated that I must have hit a pothole, which I had not. I had to replace the tire. I have all documentation regarding this event.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Apr 162013

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the hub caps became detached from the rim. The contact mentioned the hubs caps would also strike other vehicles in motion. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer for diagnostic testing or repairs. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was approximately 81,000. Updated 06/10/14

- Oxford, MS, USA

Jan 012010

Camry 4-cyl

When I was driving at night, I started to feel a lot of heat in my right hand, the heat came from the radio and the A/C controls stop working and the radio too, the radio turn blank but keep playing the A/C controls keep turning on and off by them selves. Since then my radio goes blank, on and off and the dealer wont do nothing about it, I have check with different Camry's owners and I have found out that they have the same problem. I also have problems with my brakes"??" when I step on the brakes my steering wheel starts shaking like if the rotors were bad, I took the car to my mechanic only to find out that a idle arm is bad, and he as well as other Camry's owners tell me that there are a lot problems with those arms. My car is stock, I haven't done any modifications. The other problem that I have is that I took the car for new tires and I saw rust inside all my rims, I live in California so there no snow or I do not live to close to the beach, and I do not know what to do, I told the dealer and they say nothing they can do. My visors keep falling off and they come of their base.

- Fontana , CA, USA

Jul 152009

Camry 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that he noticed corrosion on the wheel. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The technician applied a spray solution. After the repair, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 20,000.

- West Frankfort, IL, USA

Sep 192012

Camry

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that the tire pressure monitor light illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for inspection. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified and they stated that they did not have a psi range for the tires and that they could not provide any assistance. The failure mileage was 15,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Copley, OH, USA

Dec 042011

Camry 4-cyl

The air-tires symbol is on although Toyota changed a tire($236) for me.

- Houston, TX, USA

Apr 022010

Camry 4-cyl

Early April, I attempted to rotate tires on a 2009 Toyota Camry. After jacking up the vehicle and removing the lug nuts, I was unable to remove the tire, despite using a technique of placing a 2X6 across the tire and hitting it with a 3 pound hammer. I split the 2X6 without any affect upon the tire. I phoned Toyota hq in NY and subsequently took the vehicle to schaumburg il Toyota where they told me that they used a sledge hammer to loosen the tires. When I returned home and after I jacked up the vehicle at all 4 points, I still had to lay down and use a 3 pound hammer and hit the inside of the steel wheel multiple times for each wheel in order to remove each wheel. Without a very heavy hammer and the act of hitting the steel wheel with tremendous force, it was impossible to remove a wheel. Since I previously lifted weights benching 390 pounds, I do not consider myself average in terms of the ability to change a tire. Without a very heavy hammer and the strength to deliver tremendous force to the wheels, it is impossible to change a 2009 Toyota Camry tire. Since it is mandatory for manufactures to provide the means to change tires in an emergency, Toyota has made it impossible for virtually the entire user community to change a tires. This constitutes an extreme risk to owners and passengers where a tire failure occurs and there is no heavy hammer and the individuals do not have the strength to free the on-vehicle wheel. I wrote 3 letters to Toyota hq Japan and received a phone call from Toyota NY where they indicated that it is necessary to rotate tires every 5,000 miles. Due the extremely close fit of the wheel to the axle assembly and the propensity of the axle assembly metallic composition to oxidize and the act of tightening the lug nuts which presses the metal wheel on to the axle assembly, there is virtually no time period in which users are able to remove a wheel within normal constraints. This is a serious design deficiency. Updated 07/27/10

- Hoffman Estates, IL, USA