2010 Toyota Camry engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Toyota Camry:

2010 Toyota Camry Owner Comments (Page 6 of 7)

Aug 172009

Camry

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that when he turned the steering wheel to the left or the right it doesn't respond immediately. While driving approximately 25 mph, the vehicle would travel from lane to lane and became difficult to drive straight. The vehicle also accelerated and increased in speed while the brakes were depressed which made it impossible for the vehicle to stop. The vehicle was taken to the dealer but they were unable to duplicate or diagnose the failure. The Toyota manufacturer was called and stated that he should take the vehicle back to the dealer to be diagnosed. The failure mileage was 5,000.

- Bentleyville, PA, USA

Jun 232009

Camry

The contact owns a 2010 Toyota Camry. The contact stated that when he engaged the accelerator pedal the vehicle failed to accelerate normally, instead it made a zooming noise, lunged forward and stopped before the computer activated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and he was told that the vehicle was functioning properly. There were no failures diagnosed within the computer. The Toyota manufacturer was also called and he filed a claim. The failure mileage was 3,000.

- Aventura, FL, USA

Jan 122010

Camry

I am requesting that dot NHTSA investigate the driver's contribution to unintended acceleration (ua) and Toyota's accelerator/brake pedal designs that make it possible. I was driving a rented Toyota Camry in a parking lot. I applied the brake and instead of slowing down the vehicle began to gain speed. I pressed harder on the brake and it accelerated. The harder I tried to stop the car the faster it went. I took my foot off the brake for a moment and the vehicle stopped accelerating. I believe that my foot was on both the brake and the accelerator pedals. I measured the distance between the brake and the accelerator and found that it was only 1.5 inches. My vehicle a GM acadia is 2.5 inches. This made me think that the tops of the two pedals are too close together. I managed to find 6 different Toyota models including the prius and they averaged 1.5 inches between the tops of the brake and the accelerator pedals. I measure competitive vehicles and found they averaged 2.2 inches. Something is wrong with the Toyota designs they are too close together. I have continued to investigate unintended acceleration and have collected a significant amount of data that supports the fact that the driver is a major cause of ua and that some vehicle designs make it possible. I have conducted driving tests and simulated the conditions that cause ua. They clearly identify that Toyota pedal designs contribute to the driver being a cause of ua. Good vehicle pedal designs make it very difficult to simultaneously and unintentionally depress both pedals. From the ODI incident reports GM vehicles seem to be particularly insensitive while the Ford 150 truck seems to have a large number of complaints. There must be something in the pedal designs or operation that makes this possible. I have read two older dot reports concerning ua and they indicate that the driver is a cause of ua. Why is that not studied and acknowledged now? please formally investigate.

- Rochester Hills, MI, USA

Sep 242009

Camry

I am the owner of a 2010 Toyota Camry which has the defects now under investigation involving out-of-control acceleration of the car. This car presents a serious potential hazard to myself and to others and I will not continue to drive it. Toyota needs to be severely dealt with for putting the almighty dollar ahead of providing a safe car that their customers could trust - and for their deception in attempting to hide, cover up, dismiss the problems and not deal with legitimate complaints well before this time. Toyota's actions and lack of action has put millions of people at risk to the point of causing multiple deaths and injuries on our highways and roads. A once trusted automobile company has abandoned the principles they must adhere to in building an automobile - first and foremost, providing an automobile that is safe to drive. They have thus abandoned the customer, causing not only death but immense distress among millions of car owners who can no longer trust the car they purchased - at great expense - and now see its value sinking rapidly. My Camry has less than 1000 miles on it. I expect and deserve fair compensation for the trust and money that I put into this company for a car that is unsafe to drive. I want my money back! now.

- Rochester, MN, USA

Aug 152009

Camry 4-cyl

In August 2009 I purchased a 4-cylinder automatic 2010 Toyota Camry le. Immediately after taking delivery I noticed that the car hesitated when I pressed the accelerator. When I press the accelerator it feels like the engine is not getting sufficient amount of gas and it will stall. It takes a noticeable amount of time for the engine to respond to the demand from the accelerator pedal. Upon contacting the dealer I was told that acceleration will smooth out after a couple of weeks. However, seven months later the hesitation is still there. From postings on the internet it appears that this has been an on going issue with Camry which Toyota has known for many years but instead of fixing the problem the company has tried to address it through tsbs including, but not limited to, EG056-06 and EG036-07. Based on my experience with 2010 Camry and experience of many other 2010 Camry owners posted on the web it is obvious that this problem continues to exist. In addition to being a design flaw it is also a safety hazard because the car does not react normally when the driver presses the accelerator. This is particularly dangerous when merging into traffic or getting on a highway. Car's hesitation before picking up speed can lead driver to misjudge the time needed to merge into traffic which can result in serious accident. Regretfully this is just one other safety issue that Toyota has opted to ignore. It maybe worthwhile to note that this acceleration hesitation problem is tied to the same electronic module that controls the speed of the car and according to many experts maybe the actual cause of Camry's sudden acceleration.

- Framingham, MA, USA

Nov 052009

Camry

I purchased a new 2010 Toyota Camry in Oct-2009 and I realized after 2-3 weeks that there is something wrong in there. The RPM goes high (and tries to stay there) when down-shifting even without the leg is off the gas paddle. While I understand that downshifting may increase RPM but then I feel like it wants to stay there by means of some un-intended acceleration. When I realized that there is something wrong, I just ignored the issue because I did not want to take the car to the dealer and let them mess it up further. I thought this is happening because it is a new car. After few miles driven, the issue will go away. But when I learned about the un-intended acceleration in January 2010, I realized that the issue is more serious and I should not ignore any more. I went to dealer but as I expected, they did not take it seriously and told me that the car runs as per design. I went for the recall too but it did not make any difference. Being an engineer, I myself have established few simple test cases where one can prove that there is definately something wrong in the car. And if the car runs as per design, then there is something wrong in the design itself. I knew in advance that taking the car to the dealership was not going to work. I purchased a new vehicle so that I can keep on driving it nicely for years to come but I neve expect it to be going to garage for such a serious issue in less than 3 months! I have not received any satisfactory answer/solution to my problem so far.

- Deerfield Beach, FL, USA

Feb 192010

Camry

I have a Toyota 2010 Camry, bought July 2009, this car is not slow down properly, it always run for 2 to 5 seconds then I can feel it start to slow down, then take 5 more seconds drop about 2-3 mile, it compared with my other two cars, it is really show something wrong in this car. Then I heard Toyota announce the recall all 2010 - 2007 Camry for gas pedal problem, so I back to Toyota sunnyvale, ca dealer to do the recalled fixes. However, my Camry still has same problem like before. So I back to my dealer to compliant about it, there is service engineer did a test drive and wrote a report said it works as design. I told them my other two cars didn't happen like this way, all the car should be decelerated when foot is removed from the accelerator right way, Toyota engineer just don't feel 2010 Camry has anything wrong. But I don't feel this car is safe to drive like other cars. I think it could have potential trouble for driver safety. Please notify Toyota to fix this problem soon.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Nov 302009

Camry

Toyota sudden acceleration and braking defects.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Feb 192010

Camry

2010 Toyota Camry. Gas pedal is too sensitive; the car lurches forward when you place the slightest/lightest touch on the pedal. I brought the car to the Toyota dealer and was told that others are reporting the same problem, but this is "normal" for the 2010 and there is no known fix. The dealer said they would report it.

- Naples, FL, USA

Feb 182010

Camry

I have a new 2010 Camry with 2,000 miles on it. I read that Toyota "has agreed" to a brake over-ride on new vehicles - but mine is "only" to get the pedal fix. Don't let them pull the wool over your eyes. This new vehicle I'm driving "needs" the brake over-ride. Let's not let them get out of this fix. It will only lead to more law suits and lost lives. This needs to be pushed at all the upcoming hearings and they need to agree to the fix. Not "just" new productions. This car I have is a "new" 2010 with 2,000 miles. Yes, there was a crash, but not with mine "yet".

- Harrisonburg, VA, USA

Dec 082009

Camry

My wife was driving our newly purchased Toyota Camry SE when she notice that it was accelerating out control. When she tld me about it, I dismissed it as a result of her high heels and the cold temperatures of upstate NY. About a month later same happen to me and I ended up in a pole. Afew days later same problem occur. Just when I was going to blame the low temperatures..enter the massive recall of Toyota know defected product.

- Fort Drum, NY, USA

Jun 282009

Camry

Another Toyota consumer with no fix, they keep saying your car is not included your not having those issues... your car was built in Japan... I don't care it is having mind of its own and I suggested to them it is not floor mats etc... that at that time and still I felt it to be a computer issue with gas pedal as my car indeed has a mind of its own and takes off in a flash or will not stop engine continues to race RPM with brake smashed down I have own this 2010 Camry since June of 2009 have 2000 miles of use out of it and shaky ones to say the least... no concern from Toyota run around all the time like im making up stories as again your car is not included in these problems $31,000 problem for me as car is not safe is not usable and can not be traded no one wants and values continue to fall quickly....... make them accountable.

- Lincoln, NE, USA

Feb 092010

Camry

I am not a Toyota owner, however I believe I am the victim of a Toyota accident. Yesterday, my car was parked outside of my office at around 10:45 am I hear a crash and see my vehicle (2008 Chevy equinox) pick up off the ground. Vehicle owner phuong vo, driving a 2010 Toyota Camry had slammed into the back of my car, and damaged it from front to back, including removing my back axel completely. When I came outside, there was an additional truck following this Camry. Apparently the Camry had hit this persons car, he got in it to follow the driver, and then witnessed the driver hit an additional 5 cars before crashing into mine and coming to a stop! now I am very upset because, not only does this Toyota driver not have enough insurance to cover my damages, but his insurance company is refusing to pay for my damages and provide me with a rental vehicle. I did nothing wrong. Just went to work yesterday, and now I am out of a $500 deductible, and my vehicle is expected to take weeks before being repaired. Furthermore, the St louis police department had reported that when an officier tried to move the vehicle it seemed as if the gas pedal was stuck to the floor.

- Saint Louis, MO, USA

Sep 212009

Camry

My 2 months old 2010 Toyota Camry was in accident due to not able to stop. The brake was applied but gas pedal was stuck causing vehicle to hit the wall. The resulting damage was broken front axcel, infalting both front air bags etc.. the total repair cost was around $14000 my daughter was driving the car and she is experienced driver. She had mentioned that she was not able to stop the car even though the brake was applied. At the time of accident, the Toyota recall was not made public so I ignored her complaint.

- North Bergen, NJ, USA

Jan 222010

Camry

In trying to park the 2010 Camry Toyota in the garage, there was an accelerator failure in that the car suddenly picket up great speed causing a car crash and damage. The incident was reported to Toyota, todate - 14 days later - the problem is not fully resolved. It seems that Toyota administration is denying any responsibilities. We need your help too.

- Old Westbury, NY, USA

Dec 292009

Camry

The contact leased a 2010 Toyota Camry on December, 29 2009. The contact has not experienced the acceleration failure; however, she requested the dealer to purchase the vehicle back and they stated that they were not interested. The contact is concerned about the safety risk and has refused to drive the vehicle. She has also notified her state attorney general who informed her that they were unable to offer her any assistance. The contact also called the Toyota hotline several times and they did not allow her to file a complaint. The VIN was not available. There are no failures at this time.

- Firlawn, NJ, USA

Jul 302009

Camry

This complaint relates to our claim of unresolved well documented safety issues, (ie, uncontrolled acceleration), associated with our 2010 Toyota Camry purchased at cain Toyota in North canton Ohio on 7/30/09. Believing that Toyota has inaccurately assigned the cause of the uncontrolled acceleration & resultant deaths & injuries, (namely faulty floor mats and/or a sticking gas pedal shaft) we have not driven our 2010 Camry for months as indicated by the current 1073 miles recorded on the odometer. We believe that either unintentionally or by management directive Toyota is misidentifying the cause of the numerous Toyota accidents and deaths. This avoidance tactic is very similar to that adopted by Ford/Firestone in the numerous year 2000 Explorer rollover accidents which also resulted in death and injuries. After first denying any wrong-doing, Ford, (not Firestone), admitted to the safety hazard such that we were compensated by Ford for both our 1993 & 2000 Explorer. Without doubt the extensive involvement of the NHTSA in the Explorer accidents and related safety issues was instrumental in motivating Ford management into doing what is right for Explorer owners. (I know, because we possessed two Explorer that benefited from Ford's corporate responsibility. At this time with Toyota we believe that the safety hazard(s) are far more serious and the Toyota "denial stage" is far more entrenched in the minds of Toyota management possibly due to their long record of excellent safety. However, just one account of the 4 deaths on 8/28/09 in California when an off-duty highway patrol officer, experienced with many types of vehicles, drove for some 5 miles at speeds of 120mph was subject to uncontrolled acceleration in his Lexus "loaner". Toyota's logic in blaming the floor mats reflects technical incompetence at best and out-of-control stupidity at the worst. We all recognize that Toyota's safety record has been excellent in the past but even the deity has made mistakes!!!!

- Louisville, OH, USA

Oct 302009

Camry

Since the time I bought my new 2010 Toyota Camry, I saw issues with the way the car transmission worked at speeds from 0-50mph. Starting from the first week of my using the car, I went to the dealership a total of 4 times, only to be sent back after a "test drive" saying nothing is wrong. In my own language, I had been explaining the issue which now looks exactly similar to the 'sticking gas pedal" recall recently informed by Toyota. My car was still accelerating while braking, or would start braking when my foot is off the accelerator. I also used to feel a jerk when the car moved between speeds of 0-50mph. I commute 70 miles daily to work and I have noticed this daily to the point that I have started ignoring out of deep frustration. The dealer test drives and causes embarrassment saying they cannot recreate my issue. I logged an incident with Toyota (091214-000053). It led to my fourth visit to the dealer with the same answer. Toyota's response from a case manager was that if they cannot recreate they will not do anything. I almost feel this is a hopeless case as I don't think neither Toyota nor the dealership were truly serious about assisting me. They could have at least informed me that there are some potential issues with their vehicles that they are working on. I reopened a new case (100130-000604). So far I have received no recall notice from Toyota. I don't think they are handling this the right way. I haven't had any major incidents, but I don't think I can wait for that to happen to get the attention of Toyota or its dealer. This is not a smart way of solving an issue. I feel disappointed, angry and helpless.

- Fremont, CA, USA

Jan 222010

Camry

The car is a Camry Toyota, 2010,4dsd, purchased on Dec 28, 2009 by national home plans (tel.516-876-9740). Has a faulty accelerator system, causing sudden speed and a crash, with damages, while entering the garage. We are not getting significant cooperation from Toyota. Luckily, there was no bodily injury....please help.

- Old Westbury, NY, USA

Jan 102010

Camry

I just bought a 2010 Toyota Camry and they did not tell me that there were 3 million in recalls on the vehicle. That is very dishonest. I also took my car to the service center and they said they did not know about the recall. That is lying. Toyota did not look at my floormats or accelerator. They did nothing to secure my safety or evaluate my floormat or accelerator when I went in there.

- Dallas, TX, USA